Sign in to follow this  
Davih

Remove/reduce merchant 10%tax

I think it's just nonsense at this point...

I'm probably one of the players that bought/sold most items in this game throught mail and in general, and mail transactions have no fees except for the 1c shipping and they can reach anywhere in 1 minute.

Merchants are already hugely penalized by the fact that they require to be physically reached from the buyer, making them very uncomfortable and restricted (along with many other restrictions)

The 10% tax might have had some sense when the mailing fee was 20c, but right now i don't see any possible reason to still have a 10% tax in the current state of things.

Not because taking away money from players is bad, money sinks are always needed, but that's just a disincentive towards physical markets and trade hubs, and pushing player to prefer forum or trade-chat trading.

I think removing it, or at least drastically reducing it would be a good idea now, and this comes from the person that basically never used them in his wurm-life.

I just recently was thinking that making a mini-market stall group would be a fun idea (fun, not even profitable), but this 10% tax thing seems way over the line right now, and just makes me want to not even list good items on them, tbh : D

Edited by Davih
  • Like 9

The merchants are obviously in bed with the goverment, taxes upon taxes. ;)

For me, it doesn't matter much because my merchant doesn't really sell anything these days, haha.

But 1+,  1c for mailing but 10% of the merchant which you have to travel and interact with feels a bit off.

• Like 1

+1

Will add that to even sell stuff on a merchant it pretty much has to be at a lower price to start with given the difficulties of getting shopping interest.  So, we have a 10% tax on something that is already discounted a bit if you want to sell it--if you are lucky.  Call it a 20% loss at least compared to trade chat and the mail.

• Like 2

+1 our economy in general needs all the help it can get, and yes that tax hurts a lot at the moment because sales are few and far between. I also agree that those of us who have merchants tend to put things on at very low prices anyway, so then taking more off the top makes it impossible to compete with the mailbox really.

• Like 2

get back 20c for mailing cost ;D and 10c in the same server ;)

• Like 1

*agrees*

The 10% tax just decentivises the use of Merchants. I know that when the mailing cost was reduced to 1copper I made many more purchases and would more frequently send items to others back and forth. I think the same results would be for Merchants use/sales as well.

=Ayes=

+1 I prefer using traders over trade chat and live interaction. I wish there is more initiative in game to use them.. one can only hope for connecting them into one giant auction network via courier spell for example, in that case I wouldn't mind paying 10% taxes

Just now, kochinac said:

+1 I prefer using traders over trade chat and live interaction. I wish there is more initiative in game to use them.. one can only hope for connecting them into one giant auction network via courier spell for example, in that case I wouldn't mind paying 10% taxes

Yep, i wouldn't mind paying 10% tax for an automatic, wide-net market, but 10% for manual interaction is silly right now

as owner of 32 merchants all over servers... i belive that i pay fortune for this game... but hey!  its same for me last 6 years... And almost all merchants says they do atlast 3g  some even 10g life time income.

+1 i want my 10% back! :D  (9gold coins to Paulofdune pls)

2 hours ago, Sila said:

+1 i want my 10% back! :D  (9gold coins to Paulofdune pls)

Muad'dib has spoken.

Feels pointless since most markets I have visited are dead and empty 

Still... +1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:10 AM, fonziejac said:

Feels pointless since most markets I have visited are dead and empty 

Still... +1

Yeah, the idea is to give some incentive to start making them again

+1

The only way to really balance it is to add a risk factor to mailing. In Real life things get lost in the mail. So why not wurm mail.

Secondly, some items that are not mail-able need to be looked at like SB. Give players the option to set their own price to those items. Giving Merchants back some use.

People still use merchants to actually sell things?

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

yes we do :)

18 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Eh, not really, i never really used them in a serious way, also because of the taxes, this change would at least be a starting point to make them barely viable again

22 hours ago, gorgian said:

In Real life things get lost in the mail. So why not wurm mail.

No please, not this :D

Does that 10% go into coffers or sinks(vanish) from the game?

If it does go into coffers, it's a small gear in the big machine.. go kill few trolls to get your due.

A lot of the comments seem like 'gimme gimme' and most if not all reasonings here look like a meme, it's afk selling things.. overall 8s for a merchant now is a bit off.. I think they used to be cheaper before the trader change.. markets are dead-ish.... concept with traders off the coin juicing gameplay.. there's still that 10% that sinks afaik back into deed upkeep or I'm wrong?

12 minutes ago, Finnn said:

Does that 10% go into coffers or sinks(vanish) from the game?

If it does go into coffers, it's a small gear in the big machine.. go kill few trolls to get your due.

A lot of the comments seem like 'gimme gimme' and most if not all reasonings here look like a meme, it's afk selling things.. overall 8s for a merchant now is a bit off.. I think they used to be cheaper before the trader change.. markets are dead-ish.... concept with traders off the coin juicing gameplay.. there's still that 10% that sinks afaik back into deed upkeep or I'm wrong?

Theoretically, the sink "could" be good, but not if there areways to circumvent that sink and do trades in other "sink-free" and actually more comfortable ways.

That just puts another nail in the coffin that are physical markets on wurm, and keeps getting completely replaced by something that is not sink anyway, unless you want to consider a 1c mail/cod fee a sink.

I mean, even the wagoners that many people consider "underperforming" and have to literally carry TONS of stuff on your behalf are basically almost free with the 1c x crate fee

Afk selling, sure.. but at what price? listing items is uncomfortable, some items can't be listed or will decay, you can't know what you sold even if you literally walk to them, they are a pain to manage and not really used a lot in general, the 10% fee is just ridiculous ovekill in their unusability.
The 8s price? i don't know, that's not the part that concerns me, but yeah, they certainly aren't cheap aswell, if you consider they only keep 50 items.

Edited by Davih

I’m for making it an option In the merchant window. Can select between zero and 10%.