Sign in to follow this  
platinumteef

the future of pvp mechanics

Wurm needs a fresh start, otherwise it slowly dies with people who pretend they care about the game.

I really don't buy into this idea, that just because you've played this game for so many years, and call yourself a "veteran player", that you actually have the success & future of this game in mind. Nobody is bigger then this game, it doesn't matter how much you paid for your account or how hard you grinded... Its the sort of over justification that kills games.

Imagine being a brand new player to this game and knowing how much investment it would take to be where most of us are now... would you bother?

Edited by Moonpoppy
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, Moonpoppy said:

Imagine being a brand new player to this game and knowing how much investment it would take to be where most of us are now... would you bother?

Well, I might, if there were perhaps a reason to do so. But at the moment there just isn't.

Back in the day, I would think that a majority of players on freedom had the desire to skill up because they wanted to be competitive in some area of the market - Be that Smithing, Carpentry, Masonry, Butchering, whatever.

Reaching that level of sufficiency allows one to "play to pay" for their deeds and premium, which I believe is Wurm's #1 attractive feature, if it's not #1 then it is a close second or third.

On top of that it used to be generally accepted that moving over to Wild (Chaos) was some sort of inevitable pilgrimage that all players made once they were ready, though not all stayed.

PvP in Wurm has always seemed like big-boy Wurm - To most of us it's just the way the game was meant to be played - And it 100% is, because the game was originally designed with PvP at the very core of the game's function itself. (this has been discussed elsewhere)

But in the current day, where's the incentive?

I can spend a month or two cheesing the skillgain algorithm on a new account until I have 4 or 5 80-90+ skills, and then what?

There's hardly any kind of a market left anymore to be competitive IN, let alone the fact that 75% of the players left are vets anyways whose standard of adequacy is nothing short of 95QL with 90+ enchants on literally everything.

PvP is virtually non-existant - Epic is a ####ing joke - Chaos has an average of 5 people online in the entirety of a massive 4k size server - so it's not like there's any possibility for people to look forward to getting into PvP any more.

There's just no incentive to play, nothing to keep people going, especially for new players IMO, because all the unique rewards and possibilities for one person to get ahead, have all been squashed.

And on top of that, the core PvP features of the game that have tied the game's community together so well for so long, are starting to unfold.

So to answer your question, I would have when I fist started - But if I was a new player today?

Hell no, I would bury this game in my browser history and let it continue crumbling into dust just as a majority of our new players already do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Moonpoppy said:

I wouldn't play here's why:

the tutorial forces itself upon you - they don't have exit tutorial button. you have to know about the /skiptutorial and new players won't understand that. not everyone wants hand holding right off the bat.

the dated UI and super clunky junk scattered on the screen in random spots  "fight options, toolbelt, compass, etc"

the core game play mechanics, activating and interacting with the world is obscure. 

graphics could be better, i'm not that picky but I'd give it a few hours first to see game play.

even if i decided to stick around for maybe a few days or a week the game play mostly the skilling being so slow and having no idea about enchantments, would probably make me give up.

i've had friends give up just on the tutorial even.