Sign in to follow this  
Stickerjim

Does a highway on a PVE server NEED to have catseyes?

As per the question, it seems to me that the catseyes are just a protection mechanism for highways on pvp servers.  Could be wrong on that though.  If a waystone is at each end of a section of road, and they are located on deeds, is there a need for catseyes on a pve server?  Do the  catsyeyes "complete" the highway or make it contiguous between the 2 waystones?

Edited by Stickerjim

Highways are also good for routing, allowing players to find their way around connected deeds .

It's more than just protecting the paving, it's about connecting deeds and players 

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

Highways are also good for routing, allowing players to find their way around connected deeds .

It's more than just protecting the paving, it's about connecting deeds and players 

Yeah, I'm looking forward to setting up wagoners, but I wasn't looking forward to the catseyes.

There's no `need` to add cats eyes to any highway but it's more than just a fad.
Adding cats eyes to a highway is extra effort and often that effort means that the highway in question is made properly.
although not the rule of the thumb..highways with cats eyes on them tend to be `finished` to a higher standard than highways without.

Edited by Steveleeb

As said above, yes, the catseyes are needed. Catseyes and waystones are ONLY usable on PVE servers. The highway system does not work on PVP. 

Highways without catseyes on them are not protected and they can be tampered with. I could drop a deed on your non-catseyed highway, for example, and seal up the road. This can't be done with catseyes unless the road is properly rerouted. Catseyes also allow for the use of the wagoner system, and allows for players to locate connected deeds and find them. Its a neat system and worth the effort.

• Like 1

I cannot say so much about WU, but on WO, catseyed highways are a prerequisite for wagoner transports, and route finding to deeds connected to the highway system. The way to distinguish highways from just parish roads or normal rural roads and ways are the catseyes.

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Catseyes also allow for the use of the wagoner system

The wagoner isn't available on WU, as far as I know.  Or was it added when I wasn't looking?  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Batta said:

The wagoner isn't available on WU, as far as I know.  Or was it added when I wasn't looking?  

I originally posted not realizing it was a WU question. 

wait...the wagoner isnt available on WU? dammit i wish id known that before laying over 1000 cats eyes :(

5 hours ago, CountZero said:

wait...the wagoner isnt available on WU? dammit i wish id known that before laying over 1000 cats eyes :(

We did the same on our last server.  However, it's still useful to have a catseyed highway, for getting directions from waystones.  We also use the highway portals mod, which requires the catseyes.

• Like 1