Sign in to follow this  
Jeston

Wurm Ironman Mode [New Account type]

Welcome to the birth of a new age,  a new dawn and a new way to survive in wurm. Introducing the ironman / ironwomen mode.

This mode would be the hardcore variant of the typical wurm online playstyle, a style of which you are forced to be solo in the game with other ironmen/women. This means-

No Trading window ability,

No Spirit house usage,

No Picking up, moving or loading ANY items on ground unless it is made by you,

No Usage of animals or vehicles not made/breed by you, that includes being a passenger (unless other persons transport is ironman made as well),

No skinning or butchering of an animal not slain by yourself unless its a unique slain by group of ironmen accounts, so only certain unique items will be traded between ironmen so access to endgame content is possible and working with other players to slay.

Only new accounts would be able to select this mode during initial account creation and once selected it CANNOT be undone. 

Now what kind of features could be added to this play-style you might wonder? Well for starters you could create a new 4k or 8k map that only allows actions/deeds on it by iron accounts, thus allowing normal accounts to visit and interact but unable to build/destroy/chop/collect anything from the island, uniques would not spawn on this island. Deeds can still be built by multiple ironmen but only the adding to walls or structures, nothing more.

The point?

Your probably asking why someone would want to play such a limited version of wurm, well the real reason is for the devs to finally make a cape in wurm for iron accounts to distinct from normal ones obviously. Oh and for the challenge of building a new map in wurm without the ability to pull from the resources of  last 10 years of stuff that people have collected/made thus creating a new economy based on self sufficiency to eventually slay uniques with stuff only you made. I can see this pulling in some new player types and maybe even reinvigorating old players who are still here or long moved on.

Disclaimer: Yeah it is possible to create an elitist mentality with this mode, but that exists already within the unique slaying community and it is natural to be competitive in any game.

Edited by Jeston
fix words
  • Like 2

Wurm is most fun to me when you're self-sufficient. And it would be great to be able show for it, to prove you came all that way yourself. For that reason I highly approve of this suggestion. I've been looking for a reason to start all over again. And more new accounts = more money for the development team.

Edited by Draulius

I think that at this point you might as well be playing Wurm Unlimited on an empty server seeing how you like the loneliness so much.

On a more serious note, if you wanna play a singleplayer game, maybe an mmo aint for you.

• Like 5

Sorry you feel that way. If you had read what I posted you would see end game content would still be a multiplayer task. People simply wouldn't be buying from you to do that task. Everyone is worried about Epic and what its purpose is yet this is more a possible solution than re-doing that dead mode. This could mean new subscriptions and new accounts.

Edited by Jeston
  • Like 1

I would refuse a person's invite to my kingdom on a pvp server if they were unable to trade. I would kill them too, and then i would laugh at the fact that they cant pay to regear

Edited by shakys
Moderation Edit
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Gladiator said:

I would refuse a person's invite to my kingdom on a pvp server if they were unable to trade. I would kill them too, and then i would laugh at the fact that they cant pay to regear

Well that's their choice, doesn't nullify anything, in fact it adds to your enjoyment I see.

Edited by Shrimpiie
Moderation Edit

If there are enough people interested, and it is not too much effort to implement, why not. A server for that is out of the question. The PvP community has made a reasonable and well thought through proposal for a new server (even for limited time) which had to be turned down due to insufficient capacity. So just forget that.

As few as i appreciate Gladiator's rudeness and lack of rational reasoning, he has a valid point here. For every PvP team, kingdom, or faction, such players unable to participate in distribution of equipment and items would be a hindrance and a disgrace. And they would be easy prey for every ganker. Given the ways slower skill gain curve due to the restrictions they would not have the least chance to catch up with the rest of the community, or with opponents.

Not to poke holes in the idea but what about enchants? Or would iron accounts not be able to have enchanted items unless they are a priest them self? Can't trade the item to a priest for enchanting. Unless priests can cast WoA/CoC and similar on items outside of inventory (e.g. on the ground), this might be the case, i don't do much priesting past strongwall casts.

Adding a whole lot of checks and validation to the existing system might slow everything down, on top of existing ownership checks to see if i can pick up or use an item depending on access levels, proximity protection and all others, more would be required for everything to validate who created the item or killed the animal.

While i don't oppose the idea, if i don't like it, i can simply not create an iron account, i would try to gauge the market for it somehow to see if the obviously significant amount of time and work required to implement this would be marketable or would it be just something that a handful of people would enjoy and use.

In reality, having this much development done might be more suited for WU modders and tested on one of the bigger servers and then, if it takes off, adapted in WO.

This is pointless.  Explain how this makes the game more fun again?  Were you trying to make a list of ways to make the game an even bigger PITA?  Here let me help you....

1.  Remove crates.  Completely.  Build rafts and haul a full Corbita of a whopping 4,000 dirt, like the good old days.

2.  Remove the crafting window.  

3.  Disallow the use of any tool except spoons to chop down trees.

4.  Disable farming - you want to eat?  Forage for it!

There, is that hardcore enough for you?

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 3

Ironmen are the most toxic players in oldschool runescape.  As soon as they encounter another player who they perceive as 'impeding their xp rates' they will rage and curse you out lol.  When I played on freedom many had this mentality, thinking the whole game belonged to them.  Neighbors would complain about what I built on my own deeded land and tear up my offdeed roads.  I can only imagine adding an ironman mode to an mmo would make this mentality worse. 

• Like 2

It's a sandbox.. you can already do all this if you want to, no reason to put in hard restrictions for it.

• Like 2

We have actually done something like this before. It was the server named Pristine.

Pristine (and later, Release) were both launched under a "quarantine" system -- only brand new characters (with nothing) could be created there. People could not bring over ships filled with stuff and existing characters. This allowed the "new character" population to develop its own self reliance, economy and sense of pride without constantly "competing" with characters that had been skilling up for a decade.  If they had dragons & uniques and no one had fighting skill more than 10, they just had to deal with it on their own. Everyone started with nothing, there were no mailboxes until brand new priests could make pilgrimages to the white light altar to establish their priesthood and then slowly grind up their skill. After a set period (I forget how long? Perhaps a year, I forget now) the people on that server eventually wanted to be connected with the game community as a whole. There was really nolonger a point to keeping them isolated, as any new players from that point would be now playing against high skilled veteran players who once started-with-nothing. 

It actually worked EXACTLY as you predicted. Old players came back, new players were attracted in, Wurm had some of its biggest population surges ever.  But eventually, the newness wears off and you have yet-another-server spreading the population over a thinner and thinner density.

Now most people -- even those of us who LOVE new servers -- realize this system has a built in issue.  Even if they did something as complicated as this "ironman" creation, eventually the people would tire of it and want to play the game with other established players -- but in your example, since they can -NEVER- escape the ironman status, they would simply quit rather than have to start over yet again.   We would lose them forever as players, instead of attracting new / returning players who would stay.

It's an idea with a lot of merit ... and unfortunately also with a lot of flaws.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

t's an idea with a lot of merit ... and unfortunately also with a lot of flaws.

Yes, the flaw is people like the OP that want a new server every 2 weeks for a 10 year old game.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

Yes, the flaw is people like the OP that want a new server every 2 weeks for a 10 year old game.

When did I ask for a new server every two weeks in my post? Not to mention all the server area that unused in epic, go look at the server graphs only 10 deeds exist on elevation. I didn't say they had to make a new map for this anyway it was merely a suggestion. Most of the development for this would be back-end code and not assets like animation,sounds,models,textures or anything everyone here asks for consistently.

The economy is top-heavy and will stay that way until the game is dead. Every tool has been made of every quality, such a surplus will never be drained at this point. Early-Mid game account content usage is dead. New players have no real use in this game so they quit, leaving the same old players to complain about not having enough horse colors.

Edited by Jeston