Sign in to follow this  
Tuxro

Newbie mining

I've been looking for zinc.  Using surface prospecting, I've found where some should be.  One more or less flat tile says there is some near.  The angled tile to the west says the same.  I've tunneled in the west tile and mined one more tile to the west.  I then got my prospecting up to 20.01 and took a sample of all 3 walls, none of which showed traces of anything.  I assume that means the zinc must be somewhere behind and below me.  Any suggestions on the best way I can find the vein?

Edited by Tuxro

surface prospecting is a 7x7 area, or 3 in each direction from the tile you're prospecting, you could very well have picked up a vein in NE/E/SE on both of those tiles with surface prospecting. veins go from under the water level to the rock roof so there's no "below you" for veins. best way to find it would be to turn the tunnel around and check the entire 7x7 around where you prospected, taking a hit off each of the side walls and analyzing the rock shard to check a larger area at once.

Ah, I didn't realize that's how the veins were shaped.  Thanks!

Grr!  Stuck again.  Here's what I did in alphabetical order:

M N O
  J K L   P Q
H I         R
G           S
F E D C B A T

North is top of "drawing."  Hill is sloped up from South to North.  Prospecting skill is 20.51.

A=surface tile, prospecting says zinc nearby.

B=Tunnel entrance.  It also said zinc nearby.

C-E=Got a warning trying to mine north

I=Got a "dangerous shaft message" trying to go East

L=ditto (Edit: Oops.  I was looking down mapping this and forgot that I tried to go South from L and it opened a steep shaft upward to C.)

S=Mined down after "unstable...dirt" message

T=Get the "unstable ... dirt" message even when mining down.

Analyzed every wall and none of them show zinc.  My best guess is that the zinc is probably south of A-B.

(Edit: Can't be done:  Should I try mining down and south from L)

Suggestions?

Edited by Tuxro
Errors

go south of A and B. also try east of A. 

" "Traces" - Shows for ore that is 1 tile away. Unlocked with Analyse at prospecting level 20."   also at your level you are only seeing out this far so you will need to either raise your prospecting skill or get at each tile in the mine

Thanks!  A is a surface tile.  B is entrance.  Can't go directly south from them because that's down hill.  That's why my tunnel curved to the north.

Edit: A is almost flat rock.  East of A is almost flat dirt.

Edit3: I also realize now I should have been mining down most of the way.

Edited by Tuxro

Thanks for the replies.  I think I've got it resolved now.  I mined East from Q 2 tiles, then South to 2 tiles past T, then West, always mining down.  Ran out of time, but I'm now finding traces of zinc which hopefully will lead me to the vein.

• Like 2