Sign in to follow this  
Malena

After latest patch, on-deed candelabras use up their candles

Up till now, candelabras have worked like other lamps, in that you didn't have to refuel them as long as they were on-deed. (and this is a good thing and I would not want to see this changed!!)

But after logging on after today's patch, some of my candelabras had used up their candles, giving the "[16:33:30] The candelabra contains only candle stumps. Fill with new ones." message.

Something I'm noticing is that this happened only to on-deed candelabras OUTSIDE of buildings. All the ones inside the buildings seem lit up like normal. I'm wondering now whether there are different rules for outside/inside candelabras and perhaps it's always been that way and not related to the patch? 

Then again, all candelabras were lit up till the patch, and it was only upon logging on after the patch and hour later that they had extinguished and run out. So clearly seems to be linked to the patch, or else that was was a hell of coincidence that several would just happen to run out at the same time like that.

The candelabra problem is more complicated than it may appear. Please look at this old thread:

I recently made a lot more experiments and tests, and found out that the behaviour of candelabras actually depends on which "zone" on a server they are in. There apparently are geographical zones where candelabras burn forever, while they reliably go out after a few weeks (depending on ql). I couldn't yet clarify what these zones are and why they are there - but I'm on it.

So you say this behaviour just changed with today's patch? ?

• Like 1

Normally. at least in my early days, they use up the candles.

10 minutes ago, Cecci said:

It depends on where you put your candelabra (geographical location). Believe me, I carried out extensive tests :)

Yaga thank you so much for the reply. I'll read the thread and respond later, unfortunately I must go right now. But I'll get back to this ASAP!

(and yes, ALL candelabras had been burning up till today, then we got the patch. The servers were down and when I logged back on an hour later, several candelabras had suddenly "run out"). My previous experiences of candelabras had always been that they burn forever as long as they're on deed. 

7 hours ago, Yaga said:

The candelabra problem is more complicated than it may appear. Please look at this old thread:

7 hours ago, Yaga said:

Wow, thank you so much for linking these and for your efforts to figure this out. Very interesting to hear that it's based on zone. Something that was still a bit unclear to me in your tests on whether there were spirit guards involved or not in those zones and whether that had any effect?

As for my candelabras, what I found interesting was that the ones INSIDE the houses stayed burning, but the ones OUTSIDE the houses burned out. 

I really wish we'd get more information on how they are meant to be working from the devs. 

In any case, it seems like most of us feel that candelabras should behave like other lamps do: Whilst on deed, they never have to be refueled

However I also STRONGLY agree with Eobersig on that "Candelabras on Deed" thread that they should not be married to the day/night thing. Like Eobersig said, we definitely need lamp sources that stay turned on 24/7. In fact the horse market I'm building now DEPENDS on it, as it's a very big shadowy building and if someone is to come there during the daytime to buy horses, they'd just be in the darkness. So I have placed candelabras throughout the building so customers can at least see something. 

16 hours ago, Malena said:

Something that was still a bit unclear to me in your tests on whether there were spirit guards involved or not in those zones and whether that had any effect?

No spirit guards were involved in my tests. None were near.

• Like 1

So just to add some information. Now some of my candelabras inside of buildings on deed have used up their candles. So just to clarify that it was fluke chance with the inside/outside thing before and this issue has nothing to do with whether it's inside or outside of a building.

• Like 1

..."zones"... it's "zones"! The last Wurm mystery! :D

EDIT: I'm on it.

• Like 1

Yep, Yaga. Your research has been very convincing! Thank you so much for fighting the good fight for candelabras!

I just thought I should add that little bit in so it doesn't lead anyone to investigate paths that are not worth investigating (if we can get a dev to look at this mind you).

• Like 1

On 5/30/2019 at 7:48 AM, Cecci said:

They always used up candles for me too, from about 2011 on. 

I was never in the proper "zone"  :(