Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

Scrap or nerf Light Breeze

The wind condition "light breeze" is a disgrace and hated by every sailor. While rowing boats remain unaffected, all larger ship's motion is severely crippled, even if they are high ql and runed.

Now a dead calm situation might happen, sure. But light breeze feels like it is nearly half of the wind conditions, ok in fact maybe 20%. And that is irreasonably much. Accepted that wind conditions are planet wide which is meteorologically impossible but programming wise inevitable,  but that the worst of all wind conditions prevails so often does not follow in a world of seas and islands. It does not add any fun but lots of frustration.

The suggestion is to cut the occurrance of light breeze to 5% of the wind conditions, and that it changes far more often to stronger wind, say, at least every 10 minutes RL (1.3 Wurm hrs.) at minimum. The most frequent wind conditions should be strong breeze and breeze and gale.

I would even like that the gap of the light breeze cut would be filled by stronger wind conditions, let us name it tempest, which would not add boat speed (in fact in strong storms the sails must be reefed to avoid damage and mast breaking) but can cause damage on ships.

• Like 7

I agree that light breeze happens too often.

But i wouldn't blame wind only, rather ships and sailing mechanics.

All ships we have in game are fit to row. We should get possibility to change ship sailing mode from sails to rowing and back again. Sails would work as usually, speeding up ship in good wind and slowing in bad weather.

Rowing mode otherwise, speeding up ships in bad weather, depending on ql of the ship, crew number and their body strength. Every crew member would be like horseshoe for horse, and bstr would be like it's QL.

• Like 1

+1 think this has been asked for many times over the years

• Like 1

So why remove it, just make it less frequent?  I dunno, maybe I've just sailed the same Corbita for 8 years and I'm used to it, but I've never had a gripe with sailing.  Maybe I just expect wind sailing to be slow.... cause it was.

• Like 3

this will be a complaint for sailors until the end of time.  I sail all the time in RL and nothing worse than a week of light breeze.  I sit on the dock, watching those calm waters and can't think of what to do with my time.  I usually decide to go chop more wood, or maybe hop in my fishing boat to catch a few more fish.  Possibly go canoeing or paddle boarding.

There are places where the wind seems to blow all the time, but those are rare.

Ultimately we are lucky that light breeze is a condition that doesn't last for days at a time, like it does in RL.  So rather than asking for light breeze to go away or be far less, I think just faster boat speeds overall would be nice.  Fortunately we have had improvements, like portals to any server we choose, when crossing server borders.  That honestly makes sailing incredibly tolerable now.

I just feel that if we take away too many things that help the game feel more life like, then it just won't be the same game.

• Like 3

I like the fact that you can have good wind or bad wind so I'm gonna do a -1 here 

• Like 4

anything that increases boat speed in general is a good idea

the lower winds are just abysmal and have nothing to do with fun gameplay at all

while there might be people who argue its "fun" to have good or bad wind, a light breeze is just borderline suicidal

+1 to this suggestion for sure

• Like 3

Xanadu - all gales all the time.  I've been suggesting it for years, and it has been acknowledged and confirmed by Retro that it will not change.

+1 Nonetheless.

• Like 1

How about something different altogether.

The game can measure depth below waterlevel, so why not have it adjust the wind depending on how far you are from the sea floor.

Say within 10 dirt of surface a lightbreeze(usually for docking) and so on. Just an example, numbers could be adjusted of course.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Shrimpiie said:

The game can measure depth below waterlevel, so why not have it adjust the wind depending on how far you are from the sea floor.

Say within 10 dirt of surface a lightbreeze(usually for docking) and so on. Just an example, numbers could be adjusted of course.

to build off of this you could even add currents that could push you to the server border faster or any other direction. would be nice if at different times of wurm day current changed direction flowing through canals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, armyskin said:

to build off of this you could even add currents that could push you to the server border faster or any other direction. would be nice if at different times of wurm day current changed direction flowing through canals.

There already is a current that carries your boat while you are on it if not pressing forward or backwards.  You "drift" the direction of the wind.  Also works well with rowboat if you are going with the direction of a gale you can go pretty fast.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 10:04 AM, Shrimpiie said:

Yeah, I think I tossed that concept into suggestions a few years ago too.  Something like 2x speeds when out in deep waters, or nearer to server borders.  It really solves a lot of problems.  But... no matter what solution or change comes, after a time, there will be requests for even more speed enhancements.

• Like 1

games massive ,speeds need a little bit faster on the lower end simple. also can we please have storms please

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher said:

also can we please have storms please

Would storms be able to sink a boat and all of its cargo too? That could be cool.

We could then have cargo insurance companies. And insurance fraud. And insurance fraud investigators. And insurance fraud investigator bribery.

• Like 2

+1 to less light breezes, I want sailing to be more fun not like rl ty

On 5/26/2019 at 2:04 PM, Shrimpiie said:

you are the only one sailing under the sea (?)

• Like 1

I agree that we should be seeking a certain verisimilitude in sailing, BUT let us not forget that time in Wurm is x8 real time and that needs to be considered.

Currently,  my low QL sailboat, with no additional crew, will go 6-8kph in a light breeze.  That is roughly 3-4knots in the real world, which is in the low end of the "cruising" speed of period sailing vessels .  In a gale the same boat goes 20kph, roughly 10 knots, faster than most typical sailboats' top speeds (not talking about racers).  However, the hours in the kph is Wurm hours, so 1/8 of actual hours.

To get travel times over distance that are close to real world 4 knots, the Wurm speed would need to be 59kpWh for cruising and topping out at over 100kpWh.  This is part of the problem with accelerated time in games; movement that is true to the time-keeping is comically fast.  However,  with the current sailing system, this should actually be manageable; partial sail around docks etc to keep the speed down, but when you get to open water, full sail and good speed.  

A gale should be a special case, where full sail only allows the ship to run; anything across or into the wind kills the speed completely and either tips you out or swings the boat leewards - but only if speed is improved for the lesser winds.

+1 I live on Xan and that's a lot of sailing to cover from end to end. Light breezes even with a good ql knarr and speed runes is a trudge fest.

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 3:48 PM, Alkhadias said:

All ships we have in game are fit to row. We should get possibility to change ship sailing mode from sails to rowing and back again. Sails would work as usually, speeding up ship in good wind and slowing in bad weather.

Would be interesting. However most people sail solo. With this they would probably sail with their alts.

But I agree with the fact that light breezes are too often. I don't mind them as I simply find other things to do than sailing. But I rather see them as those bad luck moments.

A gale, as well should be something like an opportunity for a player to speed up that trip he or she has been planning. Not as rare as a light breeze tho.

On 5/30/2019 at 6:29 AM, Poshy said:

Would storms be able to sink a boat and all of its cargo too? That could be cool.

We could then have cargo insurance companies. And insurance fraud. And insurance fraud investigators. And insurance fraud investigator bribery.

Or at least have a chance to damage your mast greatly if your sail is unfurled all the way (like 30 boat dmg dunno). But they should be very rare.