Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Devblog: The Rest of 2019

MvU90diHOaGadoZ9x8kPmRKdagrtHZDz7WBsMPOF

Alright, here’s what’s happening over the next few months.

As said in the last dev blog, we’ve switched to a different update cycle with monthly smaller updates and interspersed larger marketable updates, aiming for a few large updates a year on a predictable schedule.

This month’s small update includes the client rendering distance changes that have been worked on for the past while, as well as some new creature AI additions, and the usual slew of bug fixes. These AI changes are intended to finish off the work started a long time ago on the Valrei creatures with the initial Uttacha changes, making them more interesting encounters in combat than the usual ‘target and wait’ that a large portion of PvE combat is currently. These Valrei creature changes will ideally make any fights involving the remaining creatures more interesting and varied than normal, and will lead into some content for the planned large update later on.

The June and July updates are currently planned to include a few new UI changes for the preview client, as well as overall UI QoL features and general combat & combat UI improvements with some focus on giving more information to the player about what is happening in combat, as well as the usual bug fixes and possibly another new feature that I’m not ready to share yet.

The first planned large update in this new cycle will be a large expansion to an existing set of content in Wurm Online which will see players exploring new lands and working together against a common enemy - hereafter codenamed Frontier. It will combine a lot of existing features and recent changes in Wurm into a big chunk of new content available to all players - old and new. The Valrei creature changes going live this month are a precursor to some of the work that will be involved with this update, and the reason they are going out early is to help us gather feedback over the next short while to lead into some of the planned changes for Frontier. As I’ve said in the past I don’t want to share too many details before they are finalised or well underway, so the most I will give out right now is that it will be a large update with new repeatable content that should entice players with a wide range of interests, and touch most parts of Wurm as a whole.

Later in the year after Frontier is complete we’ll be moving onto extending the building options available to everyone, and later on after that we will begin working on plans for introducing another new skill to the game.

Frontier will also be a precursor for big changes that will come to Epic in the future, and feedback from how everything goes later in the year will inform us on how we implement the current plans that we have. These changes to Epic won’t be anytime in the next few months, but when they do come they will involve a large overhaul to the cluster in an attempt to bring it closer to the original design for Epic years ago. We will be addressing the larger complaints of the Epic community in that update - but some smaller changes will be heading to live in the coming months as well. For those changes see the recent feedback thread posted here. More info about the exact plans we have for later on will be shared after Frontier is live.

As always, more information about everything we’re working on will be shared closer to the dates that they’ll be coming in. Frontier will be accompanied by a marketing push to help make the most out of the new update cycle, and is where everyone will get a lot more info about what exactly is coming into the game.

• Like 43

Looking forward to harder content and grouping up , I also like it )

Thanks.  Very good news that addresses a lot of questions.  Getting excited again.

keep it coming, info isnt always a bad thing

thanks

How much will this expansion pack dlc cost us? Also sounds good.

• Like 1

Super excited to read the post. Eagerly await more news.

1 hour ago, Budda said:

a large expansion to an existing set of content in Wurm Online which will see players exploring new lands and working together against a common enemy - hereafter codenamed Frontier

What I can attempt to de-code out of this statement is that a new "hunting" server will be created on which this will occur. If this is correct, which may also include Valrie new/beefedup/interesting creature mechanics, hopefully they will be isolated to this maybe new hunting server and not infect any of the current PvE servers.

Basically my response would be is that if this aspect of additions does not effect current PvE gameplay on the current PvE servers and can be avoided by simply not traveling to this "Frontier" then I am fine with it. Since at this time the whole thing is so non-specific and a nebulous mystery I really can't make any conclusive judgement as to what may or may not be happening here. Yeah, what it is ain't exactly clear...

Spoiler

*Stop children, what's that sound*

*Everybody look - what's goin' down*

~Buffalo Springfield~

=Ayes=

• Like 5

Thank you for the teasers, I'm curious about the coming months!

EDIT: I will love the diagonal walls after the Frontier update :P

Edited by Jaz

You had me at "exploring new lands".

Frontier sounds amazing although we know very little about it.

• Like 2

Interesting.

Can I bring my Colt and Henry Repeater with me?  I'm a lifetime NRA member, so I can get everyone discounts on rifles!

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 2

TY for the time and effort to offer up this to us.  It does alot to assuage concerns or questions, and informs us of things to come and generate excitement.  I hope these are a scheduled feature.  Nice Job to all of you and Thank you for taking the time and putting meaning to things.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Budda said:

The first planned large update in this new cycle will be a large expansion to an existing set of content in Wurm Online which will see players exploring new lands and working together against a common enemy - hereafter codenamed Frontier.   

Super exciting days ahead  \o/

Thank you very much for reopening better communications with the playerbase, and not leaving us to stew in the dark.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks a lot, that sounds exciting, all of it. One thing: Make that stuff public to a larger audience beyond our Wurm universe, in other words, advertise Wurm bit more than in the past (hmm ..).

This

is a good start of course. Make it known as wide as possible.

Carousel1.jpg

Not likely but I wish (I understand most of this is not possible its just some wishful thinking) that FRONTIER had:

• No deeds or tower guards. Offdeed homesteads that are subject to fast decay are allowed. Decayed homestead = plentiful looting for survival supplies once the walls decay ...
  • COLD WEATHER & FUR CLOTHING (during blizzards, need to be indoors or dressed in furs to prevent frostbite)
  • Frostwolves, Frostbears, Frostlions, Frostrats. 100% hostile mobs. Maybe a way to use some fancypants shaders on current beasties to make new subtypes? 
  • Wicked Storms that cause ALL incoming ships except rowboats to WRECK off the shoreline (prevent people from hauling in tons of stuff). Player gets washed up on shore with inventory items only... perhaps foolhardy people who took 'good' ships will have contents wash up on shoreline but far away, lootable by anyone. Smart people take a rowboat which is the only boat that can navigate through the treacherously jagged rock shoreline.
  • (or, just make it a portal, shrug. Maybe you start with only CRUDE TOOLS)

NOT RECOMMENDED FOR NEW PLAYERS....  

ShipwreckVintagePrint.jpg

dog sleds make the fastest time whenever there is snow on the ground

russian-dog-sled.jpg

Frost bears make mighty good frontier mounts. Maybe Frost wolves too. Too cold for horses when it is winter (much of the year) ...

350px-Marc_Fishman_snow_bear.jpg Frost_Ground.gif

Well ... whatever FRONTIER has, it does sound exciting!!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 4