Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

A New Elevation

Yeah the truestrike+large weapons gonna destroy the reset.

Is anyone actually in favour of keeping tome abilities/effects on new elevation?

Could be a quick win, just disabling that whole feature.

• Like 8

they worked so hard on it tho !!!

5 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

Is anyone actually in favour of keeping tome abilities/effects on new elevation?

Sure, turn them off. Turn off priests too while we are on it.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Nappy said:

Sure, turn them off. Turn off priests too while we are on it.

And champs! :P

If nothing else, it's a good opportunity to get the "let's disable everything!" meme out of everyone's systems, and maybe the developers will get some good data.

literally just need everything up to steel armor/weapons. Tomes/meditation/priests temporarily disabled to see the outcome and interest in the barebones system. i think you'll be surprised with the outcome. I've never aspired to get my hands on a tome for epic nor have i ever been awarded one.. ive always felt that i was behind or nothing compared to accounts that had it. It is true that a tome doesnt make the account and pure skill and luck might overcome the acc that does have one, im still not going to take on an account behind a player that understands how to use the good ones. 

• Like 1

No priests..... 5 day disbands.... no hell horses..... no SoTG…. already shaping up to be something I don't want to participate in.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

No priests..... 5 day disbands.... no hell horses..... no SoTG…. already shaping up to be something I don't want to participate in.

no priests :o?

Guess I'll weigh in even if I'm a bit late

I'm nervous to see what comes from this, just based on what we've seen in the past in terms of quick, major fixes. That said, a new, smaller map is a very good thing (I'm resisting the urge to say "I told you so" when I voted against the elevation reset years ago).  I hope it is more like the old elevation map with wide open areas and mountains than what we currently have. I'm happy to see that a lot of the primary issues with PvP are being addressed since that's the only reason I played this game.

When I started Epic in 2012, I was pretty much able to jump into PvP the moment I could ride a horse. I couldn't imagine doing that today. I don't necessarily agree with all of the changes being made, but I'm happy that the issue with old, strong accounts with tons of buffs and SotG and moon metals is being addressed, even though I'm one of those. I'm cool with older accounts being stronger, but they shouldn't just dumpster everyone else.  Soft caps for characteristics are good. 

Not sure to feel about hellhorses. I agree that they're something of a barrier to PvP entry. That said, the barrier is partially removed when the map is made smaller and there still exists the tradeoff to not having led pets (do people even still do that?) It took years before the meta on Epic became hellhorses.

Mine door changes are good

I don't agree with removing recall. I think it should have a long cooldown after having enemies in local (1 hour of ingame time?) that is removed when standing on a deed with no enemies in local. I've used recall a lot when escaping buggy situations.

I'm alright with the meditation changes. They'll definitely need another pass though because this feels very much like a bandaid. This'll just make Path of Power become meta for the mini SotG since it'll still eliminate enchant damage. 

TBH, I'd prefer it if sorcery were removed entirely. I don't think it adds much to the game while just being another barrier required for entry. It was really cool when we had 0 info on it and people started acquiring items, but now it just feels like a half-baked pseudo-priest system.

I'm not on board with removing champs or all priests. I don't think that the mechanics behind them are fundamentally broken, but might need to be tweaked. Champs add flavor and one of the best parts of this game was trapping and killing them.

I'd very much like to see priests return to to the original 4. It definitely wasn't a perfect balance, but it's much easier to manage from a balance standpoint and it felt less cheesy than everyone converting to whatever new priest managed to win the roulette wheel of spell selection.

Despite having a a lot of time put into my account, I'd love a skill reset, although that seems like it's out of play for now.

Overall, I'm happy to see that changes are heading in what seem to be the right direction. I hope we see something substantial in terms of player retention.

Edited by Aflacduck
  • Like 6

@Darklords @Retrograde @Buddha

Suggestions:

If I haven't mentioned it below then I'm down with it.

Removing features from the game is removing reasons to play Epic. Yes, I do agree some things should be changed or removed. If you want ACTUAL NEW PLAYERS to play Epic again. Then create an equal 1:1 transfer/skill system. I watched us lose nearly 100% of new players after the current transfer/skill system was implemented. No one asked for a new skill system for Epic only and it is not wanted. A new skill system for the entire game with Epic "mechanics" and plus 50% of freedom skill gain would be a better option for everyone. The Epic mechanics, specifically this, are atleast more logical.

Sorcery overhaul:

Truestrike -  Let's all be honest. It's probably way past time to remove this entirely. Just remove this one. This will have the largest impact on the meta.
Stoneskin - 30 minute cooldown.
Continuum - DR changed to 10% without cooldown.
Later on it would be nice to rework the weakest of sorcery spells into something new along with some bug fixes and buffs for some them to make them useful.

Meditation issues:
Any change made to meditation needs to be made for the entire game or none should be made at all. If you remove level 9+ meditation then we will end up with spell meta times 2.  Spells were powered up a bit to much as it is. 

Path of Insanity: 
Make it a flat value upon reaching level 11. Cut SOTG Damage Reduction down by a third of current max total.

Path of Hate: 
Cut Damage from 50% to 20% and increase duration to 30 minutes.
Cut Increase Structure damage from 100% to 50% and increase duration to 30 minutes. Currently it barely works for 30 swings.
If structure damage is some sort of issue, as I see it, then cut down wrath of magranon's damage scaling and definitely cut down trebuchet damage. They are both overpowered as it is on Epic.

Path of Power:
Elemental Immunity needs to be cut down 50%.

Recall/Karma Town Portal/Teleport: This doesn't need to be removed. Simply add a one hour cooldown upon leaving enemy local which goes back up to an hour upon reentering enemy local. The issue is people running away. We don't need increase travel times or removal of legendary capturing. Increase log out time anywhere after or within enemy in local to 10 minutes(300 to 600 seconds). Remove merchant items.

Deed Draining to disband:

This should be entirely elevation/chaos only.

Soft Caps:
Body strength already works differently on Epic and is already quite balanced. The curve plays a large role in balance as well. Soft caps on anything are not wanted or needed by anyone currently playing Epic fulltime. The above meditation changes and removing champions will help avoid the need for this. High rates of stacking damage reduction is the balance issue and not high skills. You already allow people to transfer there skills from freedom where they have an unlimited supply of mobs to train from.

Elevation map:
A half size elevation map with mostly land mass and not a series of islands is what is primarily wanted.
100 days of no transferring of items or crossing server borders. A permanent map would be preferred. Atleast keeping it for around for up to 18 months before periodically giving us a new one.

Champions:
Champions might as well be removed from the game. It's a frustration to have freedomers come over and camp these spots for months anyway. If you see high rates of damage reduction stacking as an issue then this should be a priority before anything else is removed.

Valrei Rule Changes:
Make it so that any avatar must have atleast two items minimum in order to win. So a minimum of four items should always spawn. Currently it seems to be half of total items rounded up.
Allow no items to spawn on home tiles or within a one tile radius around home tiles.

Animal Husbandry Lifespans:
Breeding times should be scaled 2-5 days. Be random and lean toward the lower side with higher animal husbandry.
All animals that are bred should age at a 2X rate from birth to Aged. Normal rates upon reaching aged. Normal rates should continue for creatures that spawn. This should be considered as an Elevation(erhm..& Chaos) only change.

[18:07:39] <xxxxx> its like they gave someone a notebook and said " write down everything you love "
This was one response toward the initial post along with other similar reactions. That was said by a player, cause it seems like you want to remove it all instead of trying to add further balance to the server cluster that already has the most balance.

A skill reset was mentioned in the live stream and I would advise heavily against it. It's already caused a ruckus within the community with most saying they will just give up on the game. We put in the work - we pay for the game - we play the game. The only people wanting this are those who have not played for years. At best you might have some of those players come back for a month or two but I promise you will absolutely destroy the long term player base who has been playing for years and years contributing to the game via their wallets. The people who suggest this are just lazy people who can't be bothered to put work into their own character. They are cowards and I say this sincerely. Please don't listen to them.

It was rough enough to watch so many people quit after the transfer system was implemented. A fair and equal transfer/skill system with the removal of Chaos would have a far better impact on the longevity of Epic(along with the new smaller ele we have been waiting years for). We don't play Epic because of the newer skill system. We play here because it is our home.

• Like 2

How about some rewards at the end? Like challenge helmets for the biggest kingdom, a unique title or something like that. That would actually encourage people to play it to the end (untill the next big epic patch happens) instead of checking it out for a month and quitting

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 1:41 PM, BrokenSanity said:

the same logic that could be applied to meditation applies to sorcery, too hard to balance, so remove temporarily.

its been said before, disable champions on the server

it will cripple groups that don't get champion slots and will cause inner kingdom drama and really only favors groups that have benefits squads or biked accounts

try it out, see how it works, without pmks groups can't regulate their champions

reimburse the people who champed with their characteristics back

• Like 11

18 hours ago, platinumteef said:

its been said before, disable champions on the server

it will cripple groups that don't get champion slots and will cause inner kingdom drama and really only favors groups that have benefits squads or biked accounts

try it out, see how it works, without pmks groups can't regulate their champions

reimburse the people who champed with their characteristics back

It encourages account sharing in order to bring as many champions to fights as possible.

FYI in reference to the question of steel and flint, you can make 1ql campfires with wood scraps and kindling

• Like 1

I don't know what future big changes bring to Epic, but I struggle to move to Elevation after nearest reset, knowing that map gonna be wiped again anyway.

7 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

FYI in reference to the question of steel and flint, you can make 1ql campfires with wood scraps and kindling

Yea you just cant light a forge that way, iron melted in a campfire loses a bunch of quality, and trying to get flint with a crude pickaxe can take hours if you're unlucky

Once at least a few people have steel and flints to light forges and make better pickaxes it wont be that bad anymore, but in the start it will be a struggle

• New: You are now able to light furnaces if you are lacking a steel and flint with a kindling and a hot burnable item, both of which will be consumed.
  • If you happened to throw away or lose your steel and flint, you can now use hot burning items (wooden tools, wooden scraps, logs, cotton, cloth) along with a kindling to light a forge or oven.
  • Note that the item must be ‘burning’ and will be consumed when lighting the furnace.
  • Reminder: You can create a campfire using just a wood scrap and a kindling in order to get your burning wood or cloth items hot enough to light the furnace.

• Like 8

Will deed upkeep price be lowered to combat the removal of traders?

Will spawnkilling be against the rules? (Noteworthy that people will spawn in on a set location, naked.)

Just my two cents - All of this is great, but it's targeting a small demographic. The majority of people who are going to return to Elevation are likely existing players who enjoyed Epic when it was first released, and it was more simple and straight forward. There's not a lot of incentive or push to pull in new players though. Judging by the premium graphs it doesn't seem to be a huge return either, and after the first few weeks the hype dies down, and people quit. Is there anything be put into advertising, e-mail, or in-game rewards such as titles? I'm concerned that it's going to have a great launch and immediately after start to decline. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Postes said:

Is there anything be put into advertising, e-mail, or in-game rewards such as titles? I'm concerned that it's going to have a great launch and immediately after start to decline. 

We'll be reaching out to groups about it and there will be an email to reach old players. So there will be work on that front, but the major epic revamp is planned for later in the year 

• Like 1

I can't wait to play the new map.

My biggest concerns are not starting with a compass and not having a map dump at all.

Also I'm extremely happy with what you have done with meditation. It became a must have in pvp, making it harder for newer players to feel impact or willingness to partake in pvp.

I would like for all times/sorcery ability and attributes to be gone, I liked the simpleness of epic when it first came out.

I'm fine with disabling champs, I really did enjoy killing a champ but understanding that meta gaming can make a kingdom suffer if a champ slot is taken up.

Also Happy with the dirt and mine slopes, hopfuly people will not focus on making massive deeds that take months to make and never go outside and pvp :P.

Can't wait to enjoy the first month or two of bang, have fun guys!