Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

A New Elevation

14 hours ago, Postes said:

My suggestion is don't listen to anyone. Players don't make good game developers. Everyone is going to have a different opinion especially when a game has so much content. The player with SOTG loves it, and his enemy hates it. Guy living peacefully on a hill on JKH loves it, and his enemies wanting PvP on Elevation hate it. For every mechanic and feature in Wurm someone is strongly for it and someone is strong against it. It's impossible to read everything in this thread and create the perfect Elevation server. Do what you want and feel is the best direction, but don't steer away from it because of negative feedback. Rolf was actually a pretty chill guy, but back in the day you could just go into IRC and ping him and get anything nerfed or changed. He shaped the game over time to what players wanted and look where that left us.

Best case scenario you make a cool new server and people love it. It can't get any worse honestly.

+1

p.s posteh sucks

• Like 2

Please don't take away all PVE content from the home servers, like Uniques and/or Rift.

There's people like me (women mostly I guess) that do like pvp on occasions, but since I'm more of a casual player, I can't commit 100% of my time to it.

Being a casual player should not be a crime, we pay as much premium as everyone else. Leave us something to do.

I agree with Postes as well.

• Like 2

I like the ideas proposed in this topic, but I have some questions, and concerns with a healthy dose of opinionated arguments to add:

Have you considered the large altars?

As much as I like the ideas proposed in this topic, I haven't seen any discussion on what the implications will be for players who plan to priest up. Looks like with the currently proposed plans they will be forced to teleport to Ele naked and walk to wherever the altars are. Doesn't sound very appealing to me. A possible mitigation is to simply move the large altars very close to the starter deeds. It'd be nice if during the travel ban, at least the discomfort for those who play on home servers can be minimized.

EDIT: Didn't remember that  priests could make people priests. Oops!

What will happen to enemy missions on homeservers? What about missions on Elevation itself?

Will template kingdoms and kingdom titles still exist and function like they do now on new Ele? IMHO their mechanism is due for a change before you launch the huge changes later this year or in 2020.

For what it's worth I think sorcery and player gods have no role to play on new Ele. They just make things harder if not impossible to be balanced.

The 2 WL kingdoms  with 3 WL gods vs 1 BL god with 1 BL kingdom setup is already hard enough to balance as is. If it's on the table at all as an option, I'd vote for a simple 1-kingdom WL vs 1-kingdom BL setup, no PMKs, bust most importantly no player gods, and no sorcery.

Having only two kingdoms would make things more manageable and easier to test changes, although I expect many people to be very much against merging MR and JK... (But let me ask you, what are their defining characteristics anyway, mechanics wise? Everyone plays in alliances...)

Balancing the WL god triad versus Libila has never really worked out well so far... With the latest spell changes I think big steps forward have been made, though, but these player gods just don't make sense. It all sounded very exciting on paper, before anyone managed to become one. But really, in hindsight I think they should not have been introduced to the game, ever.

There are so many facets to wurm pvp nowadays, and none of them has been very balanced by itself for as long as I can remember. I seriously think that cutting out unneccessary things would be good for balance in the long term. Start small, then reintroduce things once the kinks in the existing ones have been flattened out.

Edited by Monokles
Didn't remember that priests could make people priests. Oops!
  • Like 2

Does Valrei missions will be active on new Elevation?

I really like the direction this all seems to go!

Can we get a more precise timing for how long the servers will be separated? it would make some initial decisions much easier if we would ofr example know that the setup will stay until the big overhaul.

• Like 1

Personally I would love to see the homeserver/elevation portal with no items stay until the next map reset that's planned.

• Like 7

If champions stay as is how would they cross between home servers and elevation once reset?, they can currently only use border to cross between servers and not the portals.

22 hours ago, Postes said:

My suggestion is don't listen to anyone. Players don't make good game developers.

Ps, most if not all the dev play wurm?!

dunno if this has been asked already but will there be a meditation swap seeing as they're being changed?

• Like 4

i just remembered something....

why not bring back old minedoors to counteract the founding of deeds every 200 tiles?

it brings you relative safety but still isnt as cancerous as deeds everywhere

what i am talking about ofc is that minedoors just dont open when you go threw with enemies in local

hell, could even make it that they take 3 times as much damage offdeed

• Like 2

you wouldn't need a deed every 200 tiles with that system, deeds are cancer so why would we want that being done with mine doors, for free?

I did use to think it would support that 2 player duo to go out and if 7 come, they can retreat until help comes, but it has major downsides to it.
You'd need to make them very weak to counter the fact bashers can essentially be hopped. You might want to consider ONLY making them Lock if OUT of influence?

I actually support it on Home servers tho, I think that since you CAN'T place a deed on a home server you should have different Mine door rules there.

Edited by Mclavin

its just that i somehow doubt it wont be any different with the deed spamming on elevation, i guess we'll see tho

If the map is small then players are more likely to control themselves.  Old elevation didn't really have this issue, there was just a capital, personal deeds, and a hota deed for every kingdom

26 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

its just that i somehow doubt it wont be any different with the deed spamming on elevation, i guess we'll see tho

Don't forget 5 drains for a disband, i won't be going in with a over-extend mind based on that alone.

+ tower chaining. 

Edited by Mclavin

btw, we'll be compassless till the first olives season or will we get a newb compass?

bc without a map and a compass its gonna be rough

Hope to get basic noob gear at least.  Unless we can use our hands to cut down a tree to make a mallet.

I dunno, starting completely naked with a good toon could be interesting. :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, nicedreams said:

Hope to get basic noob gear at least.  Unless we can use our hands to cut down a tree to make a mallet.

Started on a WU server recently with only crude knife, crude axe and a steel/flint. No weapons, no armour, nothing else that I can recall.

Was pretty cool. Of course was also on a starter toon, not a skilled up character.

The compass/starter tool question is a good one, no answer yet ill let you know when we figure out how we want to handle it.

22 minutes ago, Darklords said:

The compass/starter tool question is a good one, no answer yet ill let you know when we figure out how we want to handle it.

-1 to any starting items.

Question, will we be able to portal from elevation to freedom still?

• Like 1

Low/No starting items could work.   Only issue is gona need a lot of rock tiles.

19 minutes ago, Llawnroc said:

Question, will we be able to portal from elevation to freedom still?

The epic portals would still work as normal we have no plans to change the current crossing mechanics from epic to freedom and back.

42 minutes ago, Darklords said:

pls make sure then then if we cant have starter tools, starter accounts wont be able either. Its still possible to create an account and port it to ele directly, right?