Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

A New Elevation

42 minutes ago, BrokenSanity said:

I know I'm not alone when I say, I do not want a skill reset on the server which I have spent the last 7/8 years playing. And people are going to want to know if their years of playing are going to be undone, whether or not it's "in the next few months".

Personally I feel that the people demanding skill resets would probably be better off with a Challenge-esque server cluster where they can fight with sticks in perpetuity. Although I'm guessing Challenge was stopped for a reason? 

Well even if you have your account Borken with all that stats, whats the value of it? What are you doing with it on Epic nowadays?

Well epic were supposed to be a long term challenge esque server. Instead it is a standalone freedom server beacuse you aint getting any pvp over their. But you maybe are still happy just sitting at deed watching your crops grow and your horses getting fatter.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Pride said:

-1 Sounds like a reason for people to never leave the the Home servers like has been done for years just to say they play on a PVP server.

They would leave the home servers for 2 main reasons: 1, to stop enemies from doing missions on ele. 2, to slow the melting of their map/deeds by meteorites 2x2, 4 per mission, multiple missions ongoing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

I do not want a skill reset on the server

+1

Reward new players with faster skillgains instead of penalizing people who've spent years building up their skills.

also +1

Edited by nekoexmachina
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

Reward new players with faster skillgains instead of penalizing people who've spent years building up their skills.

I can't wait for the meta to be just spamming new accounts in order to get the even FASTER boost, making full use of the curve

Give us the reset

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BrokenSanity said:

In the latest dev stream, the following question and answer came up:

Q: "Is a skill reset on epic on the table for updates later on down the line."
A: "Down the line there will be large changes like that, yes, but not any time in the next few months."

Can this be expanded on further@Retrograde?

I know I'm not alone when I say, I do not want a skill reset on the server which I have spent the last 7/8 years playing. And people are going to want to know if their years of playing are going to be undone, whether or not it's "in the next few months".

Personally I feel that the people demanding skill resets would probably be better off with a Challenge-esque server cluster where they can fight with sticks in perpetuity. Although I'm guessing Challenge was stopped for a reason? 

Well, you can already go over to Freedom/Chaos and keep most of your skills from those years of playing.

Wish it would be 1:1 and just get it rid of Epic entirely.

I don't entirely want a skill reset in whole, I'd like to see what I said above happen.

A fresh start, with the new changes.  (granted there should be many, many more)

Edited by Oreo

5 hours ago, Oreo said:

Well, you can already go over to Freedom/Chaos and keep most of your skills from those years of playing.

Why anyone should be forced to change their server? Couse some people want to start fresh from vanilla?

Most of people that wants resetting Epic skills or removing home servers, are currently playing on Chaos.

Why don't you suggest to reset Chaos map, your skills and disconnect it from freedom?
Then you can pretend playing vanilla server.

I said pretend, couse vanilla it will be only for new noobs, that gonna be soon spanked by old players, who thanks to good knowledge about the game, gonna very fast catch up on skills, deed building etc.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 4

Because the server is dead and we play a game where if things are allowed to go on the entry becomes too great and end game takes over the whole game when pvp is mostly about the struggle for the first year to put up deeds, craft items and have no op mm/armors stacked against you. 

Im not interested in repeating the same point like many others because a selected few thinks it's unfair, I think it's unfair the epic feel and pvp it can give is bring denied to over 200 players for a few who came from a dead home server and joined Ele when all the kingdoms left because it was a slightly more dangerous home server. 

Sorry you're happy with that, but it isn't epic. 

We will bring back epic to its glory days and if you die you die. 

This thread is about the 6 month temporary plan so take your reset debate to the new post, this is literally feature feed back lol and skill reset was not mentioned in these notes and we've been told won't be happening lol, you're just blowing your home server privileged stance for no reason. 

In this update, I will probably work with other elevation groups to give you home server boys a visit.  Because my guess is you're all running back to home servers once the kingdoms come back then you'll shell away until we leave again. 

Hope that isn't the case and you join the groups on Ele properly and experience something new, then we can debate again in 6 months. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 6

Where did I said that I'am happy with current state?

59 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

This thread is about the 6 month temporary plan so take your reset debate to the new post, this is literally feature feed back lol and skill reset was not mentioned in these notes and we've been told won't be happening lol, you're just blowing your home server privileged stance for no reason.  

Reason is that there were multiple suggestions from some people to reset skills or remove home servers and I'am just answering to that.

Edited by Wilczan

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

remove home servers

Aye this guy gets it! 

:P

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

Where did I said that I'am happy with current state?

Reason is that there were multiple suggestions from some people to reset skills or remove home servers and I'am just answering to that.

Its irrelevant just ignore it, they won't remove home servers but home servers need to be blocked for the month from being able to sail, it has to be portal only. 

Reset skills ain't happening with this update and might not with the bigger one either, but they're calling for something out of scope to what this update is for. 

6 months of fun bros focus what you want to see within that which can realistically be done, maybe you want to see easier archery, less speed on repair times, less speed building war machines and firing them using key binds, 

The gameplay. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

Ahhhhh, I remember a day when we were told Elevation wasn't getting another "reset".

Nothings set in stone around here, we should all know that. 

15 hours ago, wiildiie said:

Well even if you have your account Borken with all that stats, whats the value of it? What are you doing with it on Epic nowadays?

Well epic were supposed to be a long term challenge esque server. Instead it is a standalone freedom server beacuse you aint getting any pvp over their. But you maybe are still happy just sitting at deed watching your crops grow and your horses getting fatter.

The value is time + effort put into our characters. The only individuals who want a skill reset are long gone and playing on freedom. Resetting skills will do nothing for the long term. Most of the Wurm players are a special breed and will move on within 2 months, leaving those that played Epic the entire time ###### outta luck.

• Like 3

All I ask is if they are going to blow up epic, give me a skill transfer to freedom like they did at the end of 2017 for players who wanted to move then.

I'd like to see them adjust (small tweaks) the skilling on Epic to better work with math and variables that would make it to were we can transfer skills between freedom and epic, back and forth constantly.  I'm assuming the current math has too many variables right now so it's super hard be accurate where you can game the system by going back and forth between servers a few times and get free skill gains.

Maybe this is something they can get working with the larger Epic update next year if making major changes.

*I'm not a math major.  I have no clue where the issue is.

Edited by nicedreams
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, nicedreams said:

I'd like to see them adjust (small tweaks) the skilling on Epic to better work with math and variables that would make it to were we can transfer skills between freedom and epic, back and forth constantly.  I'm assuming the current math has too many variables right now so it's super hard be accurate where you can game the system by going back and forth between servers a few times and get free skill gains.

I agree that it would be good to have a bidirectional skill transfer. The difference between Freedom and Epic curve is not the problem. When I portal to Epic, I get shown my Freedom skill and my "effective" Epic skill, so that computation (which is not hard) is already done or possible (dunno how or if that is shown for Epicers who never were on Freedom, but the figures would be the same).

Where it is getting trickier is the action timer. For normal grind skills Epic is clearly in advantage as simply more creations, attachments, and imps can be done in the same time. The advantage is not fully linear as all preparative steps like firing up a forge, taking the materials needed etc. are not fully dependent on action timer. Moreover some skills like lockpicking only yield a skill tick every ten minutes on Epic and Freedom, so action timers do not influence skill gain. Meditating is similar. Therefore penalties for skill gain retransfer to Freedom had to be evaluated for each class of skills depending on the advantages stemming from faster actions. Should be possible to be done in finite time though. At least as far as I can appraise it, ofc it is up to the devs to decide and tell about, if they consider this idea worthy to implement.

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I agree that it would be good to have a bidirectional skill transfer. The difference between Freedom and Epic curve is not the problem. When I portal to Epic, I get shown my Freedom skill and my "effective" Epic skill, so that computation (which is not hard) is already done or possible (dunno how or if that is shown for Epicers who never were on Freedom, but the figures would be the same).

Where it is getting trickier is the action timer. For normal grind skills Epic is clearly in advantage as simply more creations, attachments, and imps can be done in the same time. The advantage is not fully linear as all preparative steps like firing up a forge, taking the materials needed etc. are not fully dependent on action timer. Moreover some skills like lockpicking only yield a skill tick every ten minutes on Epic and Freedom, so action timers do not influence skill gain. Meditating is similar. Therefore penalties for skill gain retransfer to Freedom had to be evaluated for each class of skills depending on the advantages stemming from faster actions. Should be possible to be done in finite time though. At least as far as I can appraise it, ofc it is up to the devs to decide and tell about, if they consider this idea worthy to implement.

Sry but you don't know what you are talking about.

Timers are not an advantage skill wise.

You get way more xp per 30s action then you do per 3s action.

There is no such thing as freedom skill on epic, actual skill has nothing to do with freedom except for its import from freedom.

Computation of bidirectional transfer is complex due not only to 2x gains per action you get on epic, but also due to much bigger possibility of action getting you a skill tick.

5 hours ago, nekoexmachina said:

Timers are not an advantage skill wise.

You get way more xp per 30s action then you do per 3s action.

I agree. My bad.

There is no such thing as freedom skill on epic, actual skill has nothing to do with freedom except for its import from freedom.

When you come from freedom with your "imported skill", you get the information about both, the freedom and the epic skill level.

Computation of bidirectional transfer is complex due not only to 2x gains per action you get on epic, but also due to much bigger possibility of action getting you a skill tick.

I agree, I forgot about the 2x, and was not sure about higher chance for ticks. And agreed the computation won't be easy, but worth while though. At least when it is desired that players play on both Freedom and Epic. The recent situation of unidirectional "import" is unsatisfactory and discourageing.

Im very very like this idea +1000000 from me

I'd recommend also change champions priests dmg reduction. atm Priests aint looks different then regular fighters, wich makes gameplay one direction. Like well atm good fighter >must be priest, especially good if with LoF. But this priest aint actionaly priest as we can image in our imagination according to movies and other games. Today priest is a regular fighter, just next level of it. 
Not sure if my idea will be heard. But i 'd like to see - 50% physical dmg to all priest, and +30 % mage dmg on all of them. Also armors according to this. And increase dmg by archery. So we will basicaly have all amours using. Like priest in plater will get not so much dmg from archers, but his cast will be aint really powerful, with will make him not really good. with other side for regular fighter plate gonna be very good again, like max physical dmg reduction via plate, but very small resistance against priests spells.
Think about to make archers as not only de-horsing guys. id' even decrease dmg by arrows to horses, so dont make archers imba. However that will change even defense deed constructions 

Also>   Now leather armor is imba, course have cut dmg reduction and maul dmg reduction (wich is aint fair) haveing only pirce dmg bonus and no 1h weapon don't have 100% of pire dmg. or make battle knifes, or make it's slashable. ow ever before it was plate. So not too much armor difference, but i think it's according to fight traditions. Like you kinda cant kill enemy on distance (can but or naked or newbie) so as long as for pvp you must go melee everybody boosts best meele amrours. Also reason why everybody MUST grind body str, to be usefull in a fight... but with Priest / Archer / Melee system we can see that all stats can be useful, for specific directions. Like main stat for an archer - body control, for priest soul str, for melee - body str.

However idea in making round by all armors, like:
Cloth gives best spell dmg bonus ~20-30% (so will be favorite for priests damagers) /  but have week point in pirce dmg -120% and give regular magic resistance like 100%.
Leather > best archery bonus 20%~ > so best choice for archers  /  but have week point in slash dmg and maul attacks -120% and give 120% resistance from any kind of magic.
Plate > best shield block bonus  / physical dmg reduction so best for melee fighters / have no week points to the physical type of dmg like 115%, but have only 80% magic resistance.
Chain > i'd make it for priest/melee who wanna kinda melee fight. will give small 5% of the magic bonus will have like 105% more price dmg reduction, but here trouble in moving penalty, so basically easy target for melee fighters 
Studded > middle between archers and melee fighter which can give a bit less magic dmg reduction like 110% but a bit more physical dmg reduction like 110%, have also 10% archery bonus.

My suggestion is don't listen to anyone. Players don't make good game developers. Everyone is going to have a different opinion especially when a game has so much content. The player with SOTG loves it, and his enemy hates it. Guy living peacefully on a hill on JKH loves it, and his enemies wanting PvP on Elevation hate it. For every mechanic and feature in Wurm someone is strongly for it and someone is strong against it. It's impossible to read everything in this thread and create the perfect Elevation server. Do what you want and feel is the best direction, but don't steer away from it because of negative feedback. Rolf was actually a pretty chill guy, but back in the day you could just go into IRC and ping him and get anything nerfed or changed. He shaped the game over time to what players wanted and look where that left us.

Best case scenario you make a cool new server and people love it. It can't get any worse honestly.

• Like 9

We have been going over your feedback and these are some changes/additions to my original post. The poll with a full list of final changes should be up later this week once the final details are decided on until then let us know how you feel about these revised changes.

Fresh Item Elevation

After reading through the feedback we all worked to see what the technical details would be to make something like this possible. Below are what we believe would be viable for the scope of this reset.

• We are still exploring the final details of how to execute some parts of this so details subject to change.
  • Will only be in effect for the first few months, no set date likely when people feel they are ready for it.
  • Anyone who does not move off elevation on their own will be forcefully moved to their kingdoms home server starter village during reset downtime.
  • Server border travel between any epic server will be disabled.
  • Mail between any epic servers will be disabled
    • Any mail you have waiting for you on elevation will be sent to the home server with you
  • Only way to get to elevation will be from starter deeds teleports to it, will require you to be 100% naked and carrying no items to cross.
    • This will mean no home server raids for the first few months everyone will basically be stuck on elevation, there is no way around this I can think of.
    • You would also not be able to move items from 1 home server to the other during this period.
  • Any ideas about ways you might think to smuggle items would be appreciated before they can ruin the reset.
  • No Traders on New Elevation

Teleports

We realize people have some concerns about removing teleports, if it becomes an issue they can always be turned back on but we would like to see how it goes to start.

• Farwalker stones and twigs will not be sold on new elevation with removal of traders, for now home servers will still be able to use them and buy them.

Minedoors

Wish there was time to rethink minedoor mechanics more but other than removing the limit per 11x11 area we will be keeping gaps between doors and adding interrupts to placing mine doors similar to when building walls.

• Remove the limit per 11x11 area.
  • Will still be required to have 3 full tile gaps between mine doors placed.
  • Combat interrupts placing mine doors.

Hell Horses

Because they exist already on home servers just removing them is not possible long term, we could make it so you cannot ride them or hitch them on elevation as a middle ground.

• Remove riding and hitching of hell horses on elevation.
  • Make horses slow down more consistently time wise from taking damage.

• Like 8

ey

i am fine with all of it

live tomorrow baby, gogo

also

7 minutes ago, Darklords said:

Make horses slow down more consistently time wise from taking damage.

sindusk made it work in a mod, maybe take inspiration from him

actually one more thing, will we see the map before it goes live?

Edited by Quicktor

4 minutes ago, Quicktor said:

actually one more thing, will we see the map before it goes live?

The plan is for everyone to go in blind on launch day for several weeks before any map dump is released, the map is pretty standard single island layout I have no doubt people will enjoy this map much more than old elevation with it being only a 2k single island again.

• Like 7

Is the portal from a home server to Elevation one way only at the beginning?  No preference, just curious.

Just now, Galatyn said:

Is the portal from a home server to Elevation one way only at the beginning?  No preference, just curious.

You can go both ways, but you must have no items on you no matter which way you cross to pass through.

• Like 3