Sign in to follow this  
Darklords

A New Elevation

Another crazy idea: remove current uniques and unique spawns from home servers. I still see them as newbie-eaters and disruptors, not treasure troves. The long-term health of Epic would likely be improved if new players on home servers could play without getting chased across the map by hatchlings.

I realize limiting uniques to Elevation could cause a snowball effect, in which case I'd say remove them from Elevation as well until uniques on Epic can be sorted better.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Entendu said:

I'm not sure if the code can differentiate between each server.

If it's a 1-2 month thing, all you're doing is delaying what will eventually happen. If it's a perma thing, it will get confusing on what you can bring over, what won't come back. 

It really makes no sense to limit bringing gear between servers.

I could see blocking the borders and only allow crossing with the gear in your inventory to limit the amount of resources an individual can bring over.

I don't know, I tend to agree with Mclavin that the item block should be extremely punitive. It would make it a lot easier for Freedom players to come set up.

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

Another crazy idea: remove current uniques and unique spawns from home servers. I still see them as newbie-eaters and disruptors, not treasure troves. The long-term health of Epic would likely be improved if new players on home servers could play without getting chased across the map by hatchlings.

I realize limiting uniques to Elevation could cause a snowball effect, in which case I'd say remove them from Elevation as well until uniques on Epic can be sorted better.

This is only an issue for low pop servers where there's nobody who pens uniques as soon as they spawn. The fact that uniques no longer chase very far also makes it less of an issue. With higher pops, it wouldn't really be a problem at all.

Edited by Ols

2 hours ago, Ols said:

Yes to removing player gods (from this map).

Yes to removing hell horses from Elevation. 

Yes to tomes being disabled until reworked.

+1 

I would like to see tomes removed from game tbh or easier obtainable in that specific map. So it would be fair towards the players who hasnt spend their time to play on epic before and would want to be on equal-ish grounds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Themystrix said:

+1 

I would like to see tomes removed from game tbh or easier obtainable in that specific map. So it would be fair towards the players who hasnt spend their time to play on epic before and would want to be on equal-ish grounds.

Removing tomes from Epic completely is something I'd 100% support. Just not sure other people would.

• Like 4

Why exactly is it so difficult to reset all skills to 1 again? Run a database query and set all Epic skills to 1.

It only gets complicated if you are trying to have a skill level for Elevation and a skill level for non-Elevation servers.

As far as item transfers just make it that you can't take boats across, only by swimming can you cross the border. This will eliminate 99.9% of the items people worry about coming to the server.

For meditation just turn it off for elevation server only - make it so it does a simple check on user login if they are on elevation. If so then no meditation skills, if not elevation then let them have what they want. Seems simple. (pseudo code - If server name = "Elevation" then exit else turn on mediation stuff).

Do the same thing to turn off tome effects, If on Elevation off, else on

Similar logic can be applied for faith, priests etc. 

Edited by Nappy

I mean as a player that has never really set a foot on epic, i would like to see things more neutral, since we aint getting -fresh start- that means the players who has played there ages has the advantage over fresh blood on their turf. Gear + mats wise.

It should be Epic map with no access to it except thru some portals so there won't be tons of items when it starts... i mean.. it will ruin the whole experience.. i could just go now to some home server and start doing tons and tons of stuff to be ready to do our landing on the main continent.

Hopefully mailing from home servers as well is blocked. Making everything from scratch gives a cool fear factor to living in the map unprotected and basically you would be racing against time who will have the greatest tools and weapons first would dominate.

THAT would be cool.

• Like 1

I really want to see dirtwalls nerfed to the ground (pun maliciously intended! :P ), so I'm going to harp on it a bit more:

The reason mine doors are so powerful is that they anchor the dirtwall and prevent ramps from being made. If, however, the max slope of the dirtwall were 40 per tile, the mine door ramp-resistant meta becomes irrelevant, since the ramp is already there.

That's a huge nerf to mine doors, without the potential bugginess of changing mine door mechanics. Mine doors would no longer delay draining deeds, and thus might not need direct nerfing at all.

Additionally, make, say, portcullises unpickable, and you wouldn't even need rock layer to build a deed. (Mine doors really shouldn't be the only safe way in and out of a deed!)

• Like 1

6yuCcnS.jpg

The guy was banned but the items are in my control - i've got about 4 knars of items in total.

I will rest my "no items to ele" case on this screen shot alone.

This isn't kingdom assets, this is private. That's a different ball game. You don't want to see the MM we have on Epic. This is without VD putting theirs into the mix lol.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 6

On skills resets, there's no way I'm grinding a toon again anywhere in Wurm; it's too painful now.

The only way I see a skill reset working for me is if all prem toons that access Elevation (whether from Freedom, from home servers, or brand new toons) get flat 50 in all stats/skills (plus whatever curves), maybe 70 fight, with skillgain locked. -Maybe- make fight skill losable/gainable, but that's it.

That would make Elevation all about building/fighting, and not about an arcane, frustrating skilling system.

Spoiler
2 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

6yuCcnS.jpg

The guy was banned but the items are in my control - i've got about 4 knars of items in total.

I will rest my "no items to ele" case on this screen shot alone.

This isn't kingdom assets, this is private. That's a different ball game. You don't want to see the MM we have on Epic. This is without VD putting theirs into the mix lol.

This is exactly why a fresh start is needed. So that people with 300 digging dont instantly create a fully functional deed under 1-2 days, so that people don't have stashes upon stashes upon stashes of items , so that it's actually a start. A fair one, for everyone.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Gladiator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

This is exactly why a fresh start is needed. So that people with 300 digging dont instantly create a fully functional deed under 1-2 days, so that people don't have stashes upon stashes upon stashes of items , so that it's actually a start. A fair one, for everyone.

That, or making the island not connected to anything.

1 minute ago, Roccandil said:

On skills resets, there's no way I'm grinding a toon again anywhere in Wurm; it's too painful now.

The only way I see a skill reset working for me is if all prem toons that access Elevation (whether from Freedom, from home servers, or brand new toons) get flat 50 in all stats/skills (plus whatever curves), maybe 70 fight, with skillgain locked. -Maybe- make fight skill losable/gainable, but that's it.

That would make Elevation all about building/fighting, and not about an arcane, frustrating skilling system.

That's because you joined where you had to grind, not joined where you had to create.
When I joined Epic agggges ago, I wasn't forced to get 50 body str or 90 plate smithing,
if everybody around you were on the same level, creating the same gear from scratch and gearing each other with different roles, how is that different to having skills at a flat 50? you're in same ql gear but higher right?
Fresh is fresh - you focus different roles and you have different players for different tasks, thats the real group-feel. 

I understand your point tho, a lot of players missed the start of epic and think its how they joined cause they came after the gear up/skill up.
It was more casual than you think.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ols said:

Removing tomes from Epic completely is something I'd 100% support. Just not sure other people would.

I'd support that for a new Elevation. :) I'd also support the following:

- Disable priests

- Disable meditation

- Disable moonmetal/drake/scale

- Disable uniques

- Disable transmutation

- Disable dirtwalls (40 slope max terraforming for dirt and rock)

- Disable item transfer from home servers

- Disable Freedom and home server skills (locked flat 50 for everyone, except fight)

- Disable Valrei missions

- Disable mounts entirely (make a smaller map to compensate!)

1 minute ago, Mclavin said:

That's because you joined where you had to grind, not joined where you had to create.
When I joined Epic agggges ago, I wasn't forced to get 50 body str or 90 plate smithing,
if everybody around you were on the same level, creating the same gear from scratch and gearing each other with different roles, how is that different to having skills at a flat 50? you're in same ql gear but higher right?
Fresh is fresh - you focus different roles and you have different players for different tasks, thats the real group-feel. 

I understand your point tho, a lot of players missed the start of epic and think its how they joined cause they came after the gear up/skill up.

In my case, I'm completely burned out on Wurm skilling; I just can't go there again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

It's almost a gasp moment, I find myself in complete agreement with McLavin here on this one. It really does support the group mentality if everyone gets reset at same time.

The nice thing also is this is a time limited map according to OP so it's also setting a precedent for this kind of thing in the future if it works well.

~Nappy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Roccandil said:

I'd support that for a new Elevation. :) I'd also support the following:

- Disable priests

- Disable meditation

- Disable moonmetal/drake/scale

- Disable uniques

- Disable transmutation

- Disable dirtwalls (40 slope max terraforming for dirt and rock)

- Disable item transfer from home servers

- Disable Freedom and home server skills (locked flat 50 for everyone, except fight)

- Disable Valrei missions

- Disable mounts entirely (make a smaller map to compensate!)

There he is, i missed you.

New elevation map need to be seperated from the home servers for atleast 2 months.. if not old farts like me will just bring in 500 kg of mm weapons and armour to kill everyone trying to start fresh - fun for me for a bit, boring for new players from the start = Boring for everyone in the end

• Like 7

Out of interest, how would people feel about a 1k map? Too small? I feel like it would be an interesting experiment especially if there's a potential for another reset in half a year.

Too small, you need the space for hunting and roaming too

• Like 3

i wouldnt be opposed to a 1k map since this is just temporary anyway, but if you argue that it would be to see how it turns out, i'd just have to say no again

when we get the real epic rework, let it being a full skill reset, i dont think 1k would be good anymore even with the amount of people we have right now due to above reasons

short answer, idc for the temporary reset, but full reset needs to be 2k

I would love a skill reset as well.

Maybe we can get a new freedom transfer for the ones that skilled on epic so they don't lose everything they worked on ? Probably not a lot of them so it won't be a big hit on freedom anyway..

This way maybe after November If we get the freedom > epic skill transfers back they will still have something.

Common devs.. huge club fights for the first month or bust..

2k felt great for me but ive never played on a 1k

constant fighting deed to deed with enemy kingdoms isn't all the game is about, you need some room for roaming and trap setups, the battle camps etc

also, another concern of mine is the lag on elevation. are we gonna be getting rid of the new influence system, which has seemingly done nothing but plague the server with lag?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ols said:

Yeah. I think the absolute most extreme option would be to move the home servers to the Freedom cluster subject to a community vote on it. Plus a full wipe of Epic makes no sense without a full Chaos wipe too - otherwise we'll still have a split PvP community.

If i would be forced to move to freedom, then would be the end for me.

I'am not much a pvper, rather builder and terraformer, but I want to play at pvp enviroment, couse it's only truly sandbox, without many artificial restrictions like on pve side.

Also would never level character from scratch.

Edited by Wilczan

A decision to skill wipe Epic should definitely involve Epic players having a skill transfer back to Freedom, yes. Not that I support it right now. It would have to be a formula that accurately maps effort expended on Epic to the equivalent amount of skill you would have on Freedom had you done it there. If that was the decision, I would also argue that Desertion, Serenity and Affliction ought to be tacked onto the Freedom Isles as new servers, possibly retaining the less carebear ruleset so that people can keep the old ways of killing thieves and smashing things they don't like without involving GMs. Warn anyone newly travelling to these newly merged servers that this would be the case with a big fat orange warning when they cross. 

Wiping the home servers is for now out of scope and simply blocking item transfer is step one. 

5 minutes ago, Wilczan said:

If i would be forced to move to freedom, then would be the end for me.

I'am not much a pvper, rather builder and terraforme, bu I want to play at pvp enviroment, couse it's only truly sandbox, without many artificial restrictions like on pve side.

That's why I think it should be subject to a community vote. The people who do play on home servers should have a say in what the future home server/elevation relationship will be.

6 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

2k felt great for me but ive never played on a 1k

constant fighting deed to deed with enemy kingdoms isn't all the game is about, you need some room for roaming and trap setups, the battle camps etc

also, another concern of mine is the lag on elevation. are we gonna be getting rid of the new influence system, which has seemingly done nothing but plague the server with lag?

Old Affliction (pre 2014) was 1k and I quite liked it there. It was good for hunting and things like that. I think some people hated it though.

Edited by Ols