Sign in to follow this  
Mclavin

New map on a new server with new accounts - Reset PVP

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I've sat down with budda and discussed this at length today, what I can say is that currently a new server is ruled out due to the amount of behind the scenes work it would take to set it up, it's not just spinning up another server and clicking open, but a lot more work in ensuring transfers are right, how it all handles, and so on. 

What I can say is we are looking into the other things listed here, we can't meet all requirements but we are working on what we can do in the short term to tide you all over until we can look at the long term, and that does include a potential map reset, under several provisions that we will outline when we have the time to sit down and ensure we know what we can bring to the table. 

As for long term, I am working on getting as much information to share as possible. My hope is to share it with the understanding that it's not 100% guaranteed but merely our current thinking towards it and our goals for Epic in general. 

Stay tuned

Keep in mind this isn’t just something to ‘tide us over’ until next year, this is your shot to bring old players back and advertise to bring new players in. I wouldn’t half ass this, this could be a big step in the right direction if done correctly. 

That said, it’s good to hear that there’s already discussions amongst devs/staff about making this happen, hopefully we’re updated as things progress and there are proper polls/discussions about what will/won’t be included with this potential map reset. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, platinumteef said:

1.breeding timers need to be reduced to like 3 days MAX, it takes 6 months to get enough horses for 5 fights, we mentioned this before the previous epic changes but it was ignored and people couldnt even fight after like the first two fights and that was with t..

This baffles me. Granted I have not as much background in PvP as in military history, where sufficient supply of livestock for cavalry, transport, and nutrition was crucial for milennia of warfare, and adequate planning and organization for decisive part of any victorious campaign. The mongols could not shorten breeding times. Might it be that you might have to think over logistics, planning, and tactics? Only an idea. 

Did someone mention Mongols?

Also, that whole reply is laughable.

Have you played in a Kingdom with an actual population, that has huge fights with another Kingdom?

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Oreo said:

Did someone mention Mongols?

Yes, me.

Also, that whole reply is laughable.

Have you played in a Kingdom with an actual population, that has huge fights with another Kingdom?

Isn't it in the core of any PvP to fight and where possible, win, with the fighters and helpers at hand, the equipment at hand, the resources at hand, and adjust strategy and tactics to that situation? Doesn't a shortage apply to both sides?  Or is it normal to ask the devs for some supernatural increase? Isn't that the most interesting competitive situation where the quartermaster is as crucial for victory as the warrior on the ground? Or is that too intellectual for PvP here?

I apologize for the off topic, but couldn't resist.

Edited by Ekcin

Too intellectual?  Dude horses die in 2 hits in this game. Its as brain dead as you could want it. 2 hits, 10 seconds or less, or you archer it and kill it by sitting still and clicking shoot. 

How long to breed a single horse?

Mongols lost hundreds of horses a fight, probably thousands I'd guess. 

But, they probably gained that 5 times over from when they won the fight and sacked the area. 

We're talking a group of 20-40 people here.

In a game.

With magic.

And dragons.

All it needs is a simple change of code.

Could even be on Epic only as well, seeing as how theres a "market" on the freedom side.

Edited by Oreo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

You do not surprise once again. Due to respect to the forum rules I refrain to detail what is trash indeed.

Are you prepared to engage in an all out unbannable insult forum circle jerk? Ive gotten quite good at them over the years. I suggest you not.

On a more serious note, i don't remember ever insulting you here and i don't understand why you would.

50 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

This baffles me. Granted I don't understand much about this game

you could have stopped here

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 3

But, these problems were never really that relevant when there was more than 1 village per Kingdom. When they were populated and had multiple decent sized communities with their own network of workers. 

So, it may not need changing if the population spikes back to higher numbers. 

20 minutes ago, Oreo said:

Too intellectual?  Dude horses die in 2 hits in this game. Its as brain dead as you could want it. . How long to breed a single horse?

You are aware that horses died by millions in WWI and WWII? And by ten thousands at least already in ACW? That it was always a crucial part of warfare to cripple the opponent's logistics and mobility?

When horses are a short resource, and crucial in battle, one has to heed them, and provide adequate replacement. Planning ahead, using as few mares as possible in battle. Trying to hit the opponent's horse ranches to gain the uppper hand. But not complaining and asking for supernatural intervention when the tactics one is used with their wasteful ways of using horses cannot be maintained.

We should shift this discussion elsewhere (town square?) as it gets more and more off topic.

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Alex, I do not know exactly how servers in the CCAB environment are set up, but I know how servers are set up in commercial and data center environments, as I have done that several thousand times (and decommissioned not much less). And I can tell you so far that it is indeed not done with plugging in and switching on. There are software, networking, accounting, even legal requirements. It is nothing for just an afternoon. When Retro says that there is no capacity for such atm, I believe him.

I write backend web services full time.  You don't need to school me. I'm just saying they had everything in place to put up separate challenge servers in the past, so whatever they did to accomplish that could be reused.  Retros post stated concerns about transfers, since the server would not be connected to epic or freedom, but neither was challenge, so the infrastructure is in place for this.

-1,  isnt this why they made Wurm Unlimited?  You can make any server, whenever, and with any rulesets you choose, what more do you need?  Prove your idea of the week works there first before polluting the suggestion forums.

This idea does not fix pvp for WO, especially since they stated they wont be making a new server which is the foundation of this idea.

If you are so dead set on bringing real life situations and history into this, do you support horses in wurm taking the real life time of 11-12 months to even breed?  Let alone grow up. 

@Retrograde

i am telling you that your hesitation is in the wrong place in this case...

and according to your discord statement i guess you are taking your time on this

hope you'll join me in classic, then this game can die in piece

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Oreo said:

If you are so dead set on bringing real life situations and history into this, do you support horses in wurm taking the real life time of 11-12 months to even breed?

No. In fact, the 6 to 9 rl days breeding in Wurm is around 2 Wurm months already, not 11-12, and I do not criticize that in any way. It keeps the game playable, as do our maps which are in no way consistent with any geology. But I find it hilarious when even shorter breeding (prolly also growth) times are requested instead of adjusting tactics to shortage of horse power. In fact this shortage hits either side in a PvP conflict, and could as well used as a variable and subject of contest in warfare. 

1 hour ago, madnezz said:

Wurm Unlimited?

^^^

Donkey of the day ladies and gentlemen. 

I'm hyped for the devblog that puts their ideas in front of us, I think the thread really pushed out the fact we're all hungry for that pvp experience still, even if it means resets, wipes and by looking at the support from both pve and pvp, that fresh start where roles play a big part. It's good the thread got them talking and considering, that's all we can do. 

I will make a new thread or continue here after they post their ideas for feedback /suggestions. 

Don't give up

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, madnezz said:

-1,  isnt this why they made Wurm Unlimited?  You can make any server, whenever, and with any rulesets you choose, what more do you need?  Prove your idea of the week works there first before polluting the suggestion forums.

This idea does not fix pvp for WO, especially since they stated they wont be making a new server which is the foundation of this idea.

we wouldnt be asking for that if wurm unlimited wasnt jam packed with cheaters and hack mods.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

Are you prepared to engage in an all out unbannable insult forum circle jerk? Ive gotten quite good at them over the years. I suggest you not.

He is right honestly. 

EDIT: Also unrelated to quoted item, I am not really interested in a non full-reset new server with all the things I hate about the game.

Better luck next time I suppose.

Edited by FranktheTank

I think normal PVE'ers would be up for this. I would really enjoy playing this server as I think a lot of ppl would. Please do this if you can. And the sooner the better. It saddens me how many ppl have been alienated from over the last 6-7 years and I would love to see them come back to this game.

• Like 1

Make new server, allow pvers to try pvp on an even footing with everyone else if they want, since everyone would be starting fresh.  Would be the best time to do so