Sign in to follow this  
Mclavin

New map on a new server with new accounts - Reset PVP

We have an update straight from the PVP Room! Our newly hired PVP dev is now getting in shape for the next PVP Release!

Spoiler

tumblr_ooo6idAyKP1tpri36o1_400.gif

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

We have an update straight from the PVP Room! Our newly hired PVP dev is now getting in shape for the next PVP Release!

Hide contents

tumblr_ooo6idAyKP1tpri36o1_400.gif

Slowly, but forward - essence of Wurm

+1 here 
love the First challenge!
Was great time, so pity i missed second one... >.<
after that was expecting for round 3 and even prepared irl friends to join the game (common wurm with x1 to hard for them) but well round 3 wasnt come :)
Waiting fo it very much! 

yep

at least something to do until the game is ready to move forward would be nice

33 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

There isn't two versions of the codebase.  Most of the mechanics that apply to one server and not the other have checks like if(is epic) {...} scattered throughout.  

Well, that is the same technique how code parts belonging to different hardware etc. are addressed in Unix/Linux OS and device driver code with which I am more familiar than with Java or Wurm code (most is #IFDEF stuff in headers or other source code, makefiles etc.). Of course one does not open a brand new set of source code files for every new hardware. It does not change the need to create the appropriate variant. And "scattered throughout", yes, that may be the problem, needing to go through the whole code to create new "if(is challenge_orwhatever)" code pieces risking severe trouble when forgetting one. I do not say it is not possible, but give the devs a chance to think about.

I would be willing to pay prem for an extra character on this server because I would not stop playing on freedom meanwhile. When it comes to meditation, tomes, etc etc I say whatever is easiest to get it up and running.

For the first iteration (if we are getting it) i would go with the exact same mechanics we have now (unless some of them are really easy to change from server configurations) because we are already asking (pressuring) enough of the devs for something we want. Will be a while before people get to 70 meditation or get tomes and such.. so i don't see that being an issue for at least a year.. After that maybe we get a reset with a few little tweaks..

• Like 6

2 hours ago, faty said:

For the first iteration (if we are getting it) i would go with the exact same mechanics we have now (unless some of them are really easy to change from server configurations) because we are already asking (pressuring) enough of the devs for something we want. Will be a while before people get to 70 meditation or get tomes and such.. so i don't see that being an issue for at least a year.. After that maybe we get a reset with a few little tweaks..

Ehh

Not too interested in that. Unless a wipe would follow shortly after people get near top tier.

27 minutes ago, FranktheTank said:

Ehh

Not too interested in that. Unless a wipe would follow shortly after people get near top tier.

Well.. my thinking is that since we already got a message from the devs that they won't work on any pvp changes there is no reason to ask for it over and over again, they have their plans already. So what we are hoping for is they dedicate a little time to get a server (elevation is my bet) and reset everything on it including skills so we can get the new pvp server rush for at least 1year until they do have time for it.

Might be more than a year of course, but this is actually a test for us as well to see if we are happy with what we are asking for.. and if we are able to bring back some people that will enjoy starting pvp on an even playing field.. Some people will get to top tier faster than others, but it will be nowhere near where we are at now with 10+ year old accounts, that went through countless windows of opportunity, and with probably an average of 5+ years on the pvp players.. 

Once this test si completed successfully and we can prove to the devs that pvp has a future in wurm, maybe in a year+ time we will get some updates and tweaks based on the valuable feedback we are getting during this time. None of us know how it is for a new player to start from scratch anymore, and this is our chance to find ways for them to get into the game faster so they can enjoy it and not die in 2 hits every time like now.

Edited by faty

I've sat down with budda and discussed this at length today, what I can say is that currently a new server is ruled out due to the amount of behind the scenes work it would take to set it up, it's not just spinning up another server and clicking open, but a lot more work in ensuring transfers are right, how it all handles, and so on. 

What I can say is we are looking into the other things listed here, we can't meet all requirements but we are working on what we can do in the short term to tide you all over until we can look at the long term, and that does include a potential map reset, under several provisions that we will outline when we have the time to sit down and ensure we know what we can bring to the table. 

As for long term, I am working on getting as much information to share as possible. My hope is to share it with the understanding that it's not 100% guaranteed but merely our current thinking towards it and our goals for Epic in general. 

Stay tuned

• Like 11

The map reset without the skills reset is trash. A fresh start is the best kind of gameplay u could ever have. You disappoint yet again

• Like 3

Just now, Gladiator said:

The map reset without the skills reset is trash. A fresh start is the best kind of gameplay u could ever have. You disappoint yet again

I mean, I havent listed any details, but assuming gets you nowhere 

1 minute ago, Retrograde said:

You said enough to know that at best we are looking at a new Elevation map. Still connected to home svs, still with 10yo accounts

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the list - 

The most important thing really is new characters/fresh skills being a requirement - the abundance of MM, tomes, high skilled characters just makes it unfun. We will have top tier deeds up in 3 days with action timers and current skills. 
It'll be good to write what the provisions are and see if any of those will effect the above issues tho before deciding on this.

Perhaps using Elevation, we could cut it off from home servers and make it so you have to create new accounts to access it? Or somehow have skills reset when accessing it - since the map is being reset anyway and we know the server is stable/its up - this might save a lot of time, but i don't know if it's feesible. 

we have a chance to create epic content this year and really bring in new players through word of mouth/videos, but we need the mm, tomes, high skilled gaps closed, i hope the devs really think hard about that part when doing this, other wise we're just going to miss the window.

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 7

28 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

also gonna give a quick tldr of things that have not been discussed i think are super important for facilitating a truly competitive elevation reset, if it were to be the only thing that would happen

1.breeding timers need to be reduced to like 3 days MAX, it takes 6 months to get enough horses for 5 fights, we mentioned this before the previous epic changes but it was ignored and people couldnt even fight after like the first two fights and that was with the help of current epic players supplying horses (if people didn't join existing kingdoms and groups they were ###### out of luck and then the server died before they were ready to pvp)

2. native epic players having sotg and any new accounts/freedom transfers don't and that IS A PROBLEM, IT STILL TAKES LIKE 4 MONTHS TO HIT SOTG THATS A PROBLEM elo is there any way to do a check If med level = xx then apply corresponding max level on insanity to account as a one time thing? anyone that doesn't want to stay sotg can switch after. we all agree meditating as a whole is a problem, unless theres a way to just disable it completely we need something done here. 30% DR is insurmountable even if you have 70 strength you still get truestriked for 75% of your hp in one hit

i think its important to keep in mind, 99% of the people asking for meditation fixes already have 70+ meditation and are sotg, we just realize its a problem

i don't think a non hard reset is going to completely kill the enjoyability of a 6-12 month new map, but i know everything else that has been mentioned by people most likely will

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Looking forward to seeing the list - 

The most important thing really is new characters/fresh skills being a requirement - the abundance of MM, tomes, high skilled characters just makes it unfun. We will have top tier deeds up in 3 days with action timers and current skills. 
It'll be good to write what the provisions are and see if any of those will effect the above issues tho before deciding on this.

Perhaps using Elevation, we could cut it off from home servers and make it so you have to create new accounts to access it? Or somehow have skills reset when accessing it - since the map is being reset anyway and we know the server is stable/its up - this might save a lot of time, but i don't know if it's feesible. 

we have a chance to create epic content this year and really bring in new players through word of mouth/videos, but we need the mm, tomes, high skilled gaps closed, i hope the devs really think hard about that part when doing this, other wise we're just going to miss the window.

this post about sums it up though, anything other than this is kinda just "taking what we can get" type of feeling and is sub-optimal, i honestly think hundreds of people would come back for a fresh experience even knowing its just for 6 months to a year? while a "mildly fresh experience" (just an ele map and some tweaks) would gather around 75~

rough estimates based on the last handful of changes

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2

All or nothing

Ok say this here for a "I told you so"

11 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

IS A PROBLEM, IT STILL TAKES LIKE 4 MONTHS TO HIT SOTG THATS A PROBLEM elo

exactly

elo

20 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

1.breeding timers need to be reduced to like 3 days MAX, it takes 6 months to get enough horses for 5 fights, we mentioned this before the previous epic changes but it was ignored and people couldnt even fight after like the first two fights and that was with the help of current epic players supplying horses (if people didn't join existing kingdoms and groups they were ###### out of luck and then the server died before they were ready to pvp)

I'll raise it for discussion 

20 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

2. native epic players having sotg and any new accounts/freedom transfers don't and that IS A PROBLEM, IT STILL TAKES LIKE 4 MONTHS TO HIT SOTG THATS A PROBLEM elo is there any way to do a check If med level = xx then apply corresponding max level on insanity to account as a one time thing? anyone that doesn't want to stay sotg can switch after. we all agree meditating as a whole is a problem, unless theres a way to just disable it completely we need something done here. 30% DR is insurmountable even if you have 70 strength you still get truestriked for 75% of your hp in one hit

All things you've mentioned here have already been raised, we'll share more when it's all laid out 

• Like 10

Not realy interested in PvP currently, but I'm liking how healthy this discussion is going from most sides and handling from stuff so far.

Also I agree with summed up conclusion that fresh skills, no skill loss, no meditation requirements and no high end stuff would make it more fun so wanna support it even though I probably won't participate in it :)

i really hope something good will came up from this.

Edited by kochinac
  • Like 4

@Retrograde

You guys were able to throw up a new server for Challenge separate from the others.  Couldn't the same systems you used to handle a separate server then be reused to make a new one separate from freedom and epic now? 

2 hours ago, Gladiator said:

You do not surprise once again. Due to respect to the forum rules I refrain to detail what is trash indeed.

11 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

@Retrograde

You guys were able to throw up a new server for Challenge separate from the others.  Couldn't the same systems you used to handle a separate server then be reused to make a new one separate from freedom and epic now? 

Alex, I do not know exactly how servers in the CCAB environment are set up, but I know how servers are set up in commercial and data center environments, as I have done that several thousand times (and decommissioned not much less). And I can tell you so far that it is indeed not done with plugging in and switching on. There are software, networking, accounting, even legal requirements. It is nothing for just an afternoon. When Retro says that there is no capacity for such atm, I believe him.

I'm not a supporter of the skill reset(except for Epic) but i agree with the community here in order to save the game and make people come back play Wurm Online!

I like the idea of doing something for Tomes, like disable them on pvp, same for the whole meditation system. Just SotG is not enough.

• Like 1

guess we'll see where it is next year when we get some sort of definitive answer not just another "haha wait for the """roadmap""""

Edited by Oreo