Sign in to follow this  
Mclavin

New map on a new server with new accounts - Reset PVP

@Retrogradecan we get an answer as to whether or not this is doable for you guys? considering you have done challenge maps before i dont see why not but you know..

+1 we might get some new players, even if we don't least the old timers will have a reason to log in

+1, this seems like an insane idea, and will hopefully bring more life back to wurm!

We're onto the third page of what seems to be nothing but support.

Summer is creeping up, i hope we don't face another year of begging through summer instead of playing. Summer is the pvp-hot time imo, let's get the server up and people playing through out it!

I've got a lot of ideas for events which can be held through out - the video content from this alone would raise interest again before we touch on any form of advertising. 

Edited by Mclavin

1 hour ago, Haseroth said:

@Retrogradecan we get an answer as to whether or not this is doable for you guys? considering you have done challenge maps before i dont see why not but you know..

LbghTjP.png

weve got an answer so

• Like 1

I'm having extreme difficulty finding any reason NOT to support this.  History tells us how good a new "cluster" (even if it's one map) can be for the game.  Look at Pristine/Release.  The player base was booming, the economy was booming, and there was no shortage of highway/tunnel/deed work to be done, which is my personal forte.

The pros far outweigh the cons here.... like landslide.  This is a chance.... THE chance.... for freedomers that have always been curious about PvP to come, check it out and experience the PvP life with no fear of skill loss or item loss that would affect their character on Freedom (or Epic).

As long as the new map is kept small - I think an 8x8 would do.  If the staff agrees and wants to support this, it gets announced with a firm release date about 2 months before it happens.  

Now to also keep the discussion going, and not just the endless sea of +1's that I see @Mclavin getting here, lets talk about the minor things like....

1.  Should SoTG be a thing?  Meditation in general?  

I vote yes, but keep SoTG at it's current 30%.  For meditation in general, this will go hand-in-hand with any meditation change testing that would take place in the future (like giving something other than SoTG to PoI players that is actually somewhat useful, fixing Path of Hate, etc).

2.  How do we feel about champs, artifacts and most importantly, player demigods?  

I think a "vanilla" approach to this server will draw in more players, which is why I would support no demigods.  I'd be willing to comppromise by allowing BL/WL priests in both BL/WL kingdoms, but that can be discussed further.  Champs, artifacts, white light, black light.... what do you think?

3.  Sailing - obviously a single stand alone island will have no other server to plot course to, so do we want "the good old days" of sailing around the server the long way?  I vote yes.

I'll think on this more later when I have some time.  Until then, +1

unknown.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Votip said:

LbghTjP.png

weve got an answer so

i doubt him upvoting a joke about mclovin quitting macdonalds is a full on official confirmation that this will happen votip...

It's unreasonable to expect yes/no within 11 hours, i know the supprt is great, the views too considering we already over took a simular thread a day older, 

3592f4db6d00b3a557a60b4bcc345310.png

but theres no point repeating ourselves for a response, I am more than sure they will let us know after skimming this thread.
Silence means they're thinking it over, they haven't said no, yet.

Wargasm added more to the convo:

I think meditation should be disabled until the devs are ready to re-work it. They admit it's basically broken, as do we, so why not throw out the broken stuff.
Tomes - this shouldn't really be a thing either because it's another side that the devs have said they'd like to rework 

They should only add the reworked stuff so we can test.

Sailing around the whole island is a yes.

I think we should stick with the BL/WL priest setup and no player gods.

I agree that the less complicated we make things will bring in newer players who can grasp mechanics as they're re-worked and added instead of throwing them broken ones which they'll hate, just as we do.
Things can be wiped so the less work, the better i'd say. Focus on what makes pvp fun and what obstacles players face getting to it. 

Therasa may said no deal is better than a bad deal, i say the same with mechanics/features, having no mechanic/feature is better than a bad mechanic/feature.

I think after 6 months new players joining should get a x2 bonus until level 40 in skills, and let this increase by 10 for every 3 months after with a hard cap of 70

This will be the catch up mechanic.
Perhaps the server could pull the average skill level for each skill and make that the x2 limit until hard cap of 70.

But we need to remember, things can get wiped/removed so, it really is a pvp focus

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 1

Although I don't want to make a new character really this would likely be a lot of fun regardless. +1

A system like the challenge servers that after they resets rolled a bit of the skill into the freedom side of the character would be cool, could play pvp but still be working on your main focus at least a little.

Even though Epic is pretty dead, I've still enjoyed it for the past year. It's nothing like the good ol' days and I don't think this will be a lot like. But hell, PvP Wurm is usually fun whatever its form. Give us a good, fully PvP cluster - even if it's just one server. I'm not sure how I feel about resets, but it's something we used to have in Wurm's earliest days.

It might be looking into why the challenge servers were abandoned though. I missed taking part of those, but surely there must've been a reason for them to not exist anymore. I don't think a resetting server is something I really want, but perhaps it is the way to get as close to how Wurm was intended to be played?

I want it to have no connection whatsoever to any of the other clusters though, no transferring of skills, items; anything, back and fourth. 

2 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Now to also keep the discussion going, and not just the endless sea of +1's that I see @Mclavin getting here, lets talk about the minor things like....

1.  Should SoTG be a thing?  Meditation in general?  

I vote yes, but keep SoTG at it's current 30%.  For meditation in general, this will go hand-in-hand with any meditation change testing that would take place in the future (like giving something other than SoTG to PoI players that is actually somewhat useful, fixing Path of Hate, etc).

2.  How do we feel about champs, artifacts and most importantly, player demigods?  

I think a "vanilla" approach to this server will draw in more players, which is why I would support no demigods.  I'd be willing to comppromise by allowing BL/WL priests in both BL/WL kingdoms, but that can be discussed further.  Champs, artifacts, white light, black light.... what do you think?

3.  Sailing - obviously a single stand alone island will have no other server to plot course to, so do we want "the good old days" of sailing around the server the long way?  I vote yes.

I'll think on this more later when I have some time.  Until then, +1

For me I would want:

1. No SOTG or meditation

2. champs yes, no artifacts, no demigods, no tomes or valrei items

3 Sailing yes

I would also want SIndusks armor / spell / priest change reversed while they work on balancing it, also for that vanilla feel

As vanilla as they will allow is what I feel would be the most fun - 

did someone say as vanilla as possible?

i like that

15 minutes ago, Rhianna said:

I would also want SIndusks armor / spell / priest change reversed while they work on balancing it, also for that vanilla feel

i think sindusks ARMOR rework works pretty good, with one exception....salves

however, ofc i wouldnt be opposed to all the above

Edited by Quicktor
  • Like 1

I mentioned it because it added so much must haves into the meta that it makes it way less vanilla, also I hate the priest meta, its much more fun when there is hardly any priests

2 hours ago, Rhianna said:

I would also want SIndusks armor

It's armour and you know it, bad australian

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

It's armour and you know it, bad australian

pls can we get a yes or no as to whether or not the suggestion is possible

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

It's unreasonable to expect yes/no within 11 hours, i know the supprt is great, the views too considering we already over took a simular thread a day older,

6 hours ago, Mclavin said:

but theres no point repeating ourselves for a response, I am more than sure they will let us know after skimming this thread.
Silence means they're thinking it over, they haven't said no, yet.

Yes. Thanks for that reasonable argument. It shows that not all "pvpers" are stupid spoiled "gimme, gimme" brats but that at least a few are using their brain. Planning a server, designing a map with starter points, setting the features different from recent PvP, all that needs some time and planning. I would appreciate a statement from the staff within the next days whether such a project is deemed feasible and possible to be squeezed into the recent roadmap, or til when a decision for or against can be expected. And yes, I am all for.

And I agree to all you and wargasm wrote: No frills, all the stuff like tomes, meditation, player gods out (was there more, dunno ..), equal start at a reasonable skill level (20 I think) with useful simple armour and weaponry (well warfare with sticks and troll clubs would be fun anyway). And a reasonable reset cycle before the new environment is becoming sklerotic again, with all the loudest ranters here in the thread throwing in their tricks and experience and become "leaders" of a fast restored hierarchy abhorring players as they are abhorring readers here. Maybe I would even join in a year or two when most of my projects in "boring" PvE are somehow more complete.

• Like 1

I mean it's not like anyone can't just say "we'll discuss this and let you know if its possible or not" instead of just making an irrelevant post

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I mean it's not like anyone can't just say "we'll discuss this and let you know if its possible or not" instead of just making an irrelevant post

I agree that the staff may have to relearn communication with a reasonable audience. When I read through this and other similar threads it is hard for me to find much of it. And I can well understand a reluctant and defensive stance from the side of the staff. There is a proverb in my country: "give the devil the little finger, and he'll grab your whole arm".

Anyway this does not help a lot and alienates the better part of the readership and community.

I see indeed problems with the proposal. If I understood Niki's post in another thread right, there already exist two versions of the code base for Epic and Freedom which may be causing problems already. Implementing the proposal right off hand may result in creating an additional one. I would not want to do that if I were one of the devs. But some kind of reaction would indeed be helpful.

24 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

I agree that the staff may have to relearn communication with a reasonable audience. When I read through this and other similar threads it is hard for me to find much of it. And I can well understand a reluctant and defensive stance from the side of the staff. There is a proverb in my country: "give the devil the little finger, and he'll grab your whole arm".

Anyway this does not help a lot and alienates the better part of the readership and community.

I see indeed problems with the proposal. If I understood Niki's post in another thread right, there already exist two versions of the code base for Epic and Freedom which may be causing problems already. Implementing the proposal right off hand may result in creating an additional one. I would not want to do that if I were one of the devs. But some kind of reaction would indeed be helpful.

There isn't two versions of the codebase.  Most of the mechanics that apply to one server and not the other have checks like if(is epic) {...} scattered throughout.  

• Like 1