Sign in to follow this  
TheZvir

Make name change Possible.

On 5/22/2019 at 10:30 AM, TheZvir said:

А можно что бы все кто ставит -1 немного аргументировали свой выбор ? belaarmyStevWarg ?

___

Is it possible that everyone who puts -1 a little reasoned their choice? belaarmyStevWarg ?

I'd only be repeating what others had already said.
Vote counts, my explanation wouldn't count because it's already been written.
that said... my empathy has been provoked.
I can understand the desire to make the account your own but it'd be a system that's too easy to abuse. (this is why we can't have nice things™)

If the buying of accounts came with the option for staff to allow you a name change, that'd be a fix but we can't hope to expect it and tbh, people would find a way of exploiting that by paying themselves and simply changing their registered email address if one is even needed.
If you can conceive of an applicable system that can't be exploited, pray tell.

as for reputation being a good reason for a -1, i believe it's a good reason.. it isn't the only reason.
it's hard to imagine what lines the exploitative cross if you yourself are not exploitative. (cultivation and exploitation are not the same thing)
reputation is not the only reason. sometimes reputation is bollocks and speaks more about the gossipers than the subject.
all the same, I believe name changes are a bad idea and i accept that this is a subjective view. :)

Edited by Steveleeb
  • Like 1

--edit---------------

After reading the OP.. you have all my blessings for dev/gms to grant you an extra capital letter if that doesn't destroy our little world.

big -1 for the idea to have an item or mechanic to change names, for the obvious other reasons.

Edited by Finnn
  • Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 7:50 PM, Finnn said:

--edit---------------

After reading the OP.. you have all my blessings for dev/gms to grant you an extra capital letter if that doesn't destroy our little world.

big -1 for the idea to have an item or mechanic to change names, for the obvious other reasons.

I did not talk about the thing from the merchant. I talked about the option.
For example, I created a character when I was 16 years old, 10 years of play passed, I am 26, I have preoccupied all the childhood and teenage ideals, and my nickname, made under the influence of hormones, can now embarrass me.

It was just that I was scared to ask such a question to the GM. In the CA help chat, they began to scare me and say that it is forbidden.

For example, a few years ago, my friend created a character and named him Bantus.

This is a transliteration of our word "bow"(bant) with the addition of "us" as an increase.

It looked interesting. Until he met people who are not aware of transliteration. And in this moment he turned from a bow into a plunger. (we have a plunger spelled "Вантуз" \ "Vantus")  (English B written as russian V)

Here I am about what cases. (Although it would be interesting to introduce a system that could tell how a person had once been called, for example, as it was done on Steam)

I apologize for my bad english. He often misleads people and does not give me the opportunity to get a message right.

Huge -1.

If you dislike your actual name, nothing can stop you from creating a new toon with nickname that more fits your mood or beliefs.

As someone said, could be fine, when you couldn't make an alt character.

(Although it would be interesting to introduce a system that could tell how a person had once been called, for example, as it was done on Steam)

You have a space in your Forum account to tell all your alt (and main) names.

Edited by Sappiro
citation

+1 to name changes, with some limitations.

I've read all the arguments for and against, in this and in many other threads on the subject over the years.  As I've said many times before, with characters being passed around like street corner hookers, it pretty much negates any of the arguments against it which would otherwise be valid imo.  Since the name of a character in Wurm means exactly zilch for being able to tell who is actually playing the character, I see no compelling reason to not be able to change the name. 

• Like 1

I am only okay with name changes if there is a public, up-to-date list on the forums (provided by staff) of who's name has been changed to what.

• Like 2

I'm for this.

When I first started wurm I went to the register page no where back then did it say this account creation would be my ingame name. Every mmo I've ever played makes you create a account then log in game and create name and make character.

So on the day I made my character and found it odd when I logged in I had no naming option but I was not concerned I just went out playing. After a few months of grinding skills On a toon which was male cause females didn't exist back then It started to bother me cause I used a female name to register my account which was used in other mmo's like EQ and EQ2 Wow etc.. 

I need a name change  but have been shot down even by asking a gm. I'm still waiting for a name change ticket or a gm to fix this. Sorry restarting a new toon and working 5 years of skills is no option.

And thanks for finally adding on the registration page (This will be you in game name). This will prevent others in the future of not making the same mistake I did.

• Like 1

WU has the name change ticket. I'd be ok if it was added but only given out by GM name request tickets. If approved by a Lead GM then they could summon the ticket and send it to that player by the in game email system.

I will go first Read all my old post why I request a name change. I look forward to a name change ticket.

Reason 2:

On another note with all the account selling that is allowed I think they need a name change ticket as well and it should be a must that you have to change the name if the account is bought from another player. Why would I want to be tricked by someone who bought a friends account that was a friend of mine in game at one time. Maybe so called friend sold his account didn't let me or others know who is on our list to do stuff on our deeds. Being a friend you trust you don't think of them ever selling a account but I assume it has happened at times. With out a enforcement of name changing upon switching real people that person could take advantage and rob someone out. And what excuse do you think you will get from a GM when you drop a ticket you was robbed?

Yes the old you need to be more careful who you allow on your trusted list. This has never happened to me but I figure it has to others. 

For this second reason maybe there needs to be a system where when you want to sell a character you can make a single npc that sells a character transfer ticket. You can't be logged into said character. A window pops up you add the characters name upon clicking sell a ticket is made and the character can't be logged into until someone clicks claim on the ticket. Upon clicking claim you are presented with a new window that ask for new email address, character name, security question and answer to said question, and a new account password. After clicking send the system updates the data base with the new info. This ticket can be sold on merchants. You can even add a view option that opens a skill list and inventory for viewing so people can see what skills and inventory comes with said character.

Edited by Arkonick