Maybe it’s just a lull.

Such things happen...

We all have complaints about PvP, but perhaps the real reason is that it’s just summer for most of the player base and people are out and about.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, belacane said:

Maybe it’s just a lull.

Such things happen...

We all have complaints about PvP, but perhaps the real reason is that it’s just summer for most of the player base and people are out and about.

yeah sure, see you in winter then we can talk i guess...

its because its summer right?

0iQr592.png

MEANWHILE - todays graph

paying-year.png

you can still access the MRTG logfiles which go a few years back, in this following links case its 2017 at the end

as you can see, we lost nearly 1k players in the last 2 years and had almost triple the amount in 2013

Click

VVEtDfW.png

Edited by Quicktor
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

.....How do you expect people to take anything you say seriously?

To those who would not it doesn't concern me as they never will. To dispute the points made with some sort of rational response would be valid and welcomed. To attack the way in which they were broached and the composition of the style in which they were presented has no merit to be used as a justification for refuting them. The day you and others tailor your response style to my liking is the day that I would consider doing the same. Until then you only reinforce my points made by avoiding them with personal attacks as your *Like* minded attachers expose themselves. Not that I expect anything I just stated to change the minds of those who think otherwise. That then just leaves the fun of weaving through the forest of the trees with windy embellishments, though the crows do shriek in protest, shattering the silence of thoughtlessness.

=Ayes=

Added: I will admit though that both your post I quoted and mine here contribute nothing of worth to the topic at hand.

Edited by Ayes
+
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Quicktor said:

with the focus on freedom and retro being scared of making decision X because of Y although the remaining community wants it, i dont think thats a realistic thing unfortunately...

after all, dont forget, the staff team knows what we want....along the famous lines of "You think you do know what you want, but you don't!"

I think that's a great point you've raised. It's not important what Retro says or thinks. With all due respect to him and his position, at the end of the day he is just in charge of communicating the message. We really need to be hearing from someone more significant, someone with more authority and someone who actually makes the decisions.

Where is Budda?

59 minutes ago, Nappy said:

I think that's a great point you've raised. It's not important what Retro says or thinks. With all due respect to him and his position, at the end of the day he is just in charge of communicating the message. We really need to be hearing from someone more significant, someone with more authority and someone who actually makes the decisions.

Where is Budda?

gone, he ran away with all the premium money to cuba so he wouldnt have to deal with this game anymore 

2 hours ago, belacane said:

Maybe it’s just a lull.

Such things happen...

When wurm has declined steadily from ~6k players in 2015 when wu came out to a little over 2k now, over a period of years, it's not a summer lull

bro its just the season bro they will all come back soon tm :)))

5 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Lets say your plan is to work on fixing the problems with pvp 1.5 years from now. Thats when you plan to begin. That means we have to wait another 1.5 years before we can go to Epic or Chaos and START building deeds.  It means players will quit because THEY CANT PLAY ON THEIR CHOSEN CLUSTER OR SERVER! Why? Because you will then release a new map 1.7 years from now, and all the work, all the investment, all their effort just went down the drain.

But lets assume you decide to release the map now. Well, now we can put up with the waiting because we can concentrate on building an infrastructure and getting kingdoms up and running, getting excited people to come back for the new map and receiving a huge assurance pvp has not been forgotten. But most importantly, we know our effort will not be wasted 1.7 years down the line if and when you decide to release the new map. 

I'm confused, is this "if you give us a new map now the mechanics can come later instead of both at once" or "if you give us a new map now we can play on then it all resets when the mechanics come"? 

3 hours ago, Nappy said:

I wouldn't be saying it if it wasn't from higher up. 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

I'm confused, is this "if you give us a new map now the mechanics can come later instead of both at once" or "if you give us a new map now we can pl

If you dont understand what I am trying to say, then I guess you simply have not been reading what the playerbase has been asking about for the past year or two. But let me see if I can explain further.

I know you are not aware, but waiting a year or more to solve an issue on a game is not acceptable. I know Wurm has been getting away with it for years but is not okay. Really. Its not. You can't expect your playerbase to just wait there in suspense paying premium while you get around to it. People will get bored and leave because there is nothing new coming.

So your response to this is "we are working on something, guys, but we have other projects to work on first so we'll get around to it eventually." Do you think thats okay? The population of the whole Epic cluster has dropped down to -single digits- most of the day, and you think thats okay? I have no idea how you justify that to yourself.

Yet here you are seeing your community pleading with you for a simple solution that will keep them busy until you "get around to it". Replace the elevation map and turn off player Gods on Epic. Bam! Instant happiness.

But you rather come here and play dumb, like if its the first time you see it ever. You're either trolling the community, or you are really clueless. I don't know which is worse.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Quicktor said:

i mean, just look at these masterpieces...

Hide contents

CexAk1Q.jpg

1pmzwAY.jpg

I think I need to change my underwear.

I'm more trying to identify whether a temporary new map would be satisfactory as the only change until the full overhaul which would likely include a new map again, due to base mechanics changes within the game. 

Once you start getting into "change x y z" after that it becomes major project territory, I'm trying to identify something that may help in the short term before we look at longer term.

• Like 1

short term solution, new elevation map, and obviously dont reset it AGAIN once you work on something on epic

the point is for us to "... concentrate on building an infrastructure and getting kingdoms up and running, getting excited people to come back for the new map and receiving a huge assurance pvp has not been forgotten"

just like angel said some posts ago...

now if you find the time to also deactivate playergods, perfect

Edited by Quicktor
  • Like 1

But therein lies the problem, if the future work requires a reset due to specific changes, then we are again resetting everything. 

This is why we are hesitant about a reset now because doing it without work means a future reset, and doing it with the work is not possible at this moment in time 

well, if you cant even do that simple of a thing by just thinking ahead, cause all you give us is a "maybe a reset is required", i think this is doomed anyway

we arent trying to denounce you or anything, we are here cause we care, just so thats clear

if however all you can do is say "we dont have any plans towards pvp at all, but if we do, we might need a reset like 1-2 years down the road"

yeah, good luck i guess

i would be a little careful, after all you guys probably have some more insight on where and how the money goes

and even from the outside its looking bad....

you cant possibly takes us worrying for the game and its well being for granted, once that is over, are you even going to care anymore?

• Like 1

The only real reason I could see for needing a second reset later would be if the awesome secret plan is some kind of land control crap so as to start each kingdom on an even footing, problem is that epic has always had its charm for not being the land control game that chaos was and more focused on open field fun. If that isn't the case then you really are forcing people to not bother paying/playing for a year or more if they even come back after, I hope it isn't the case because land control is boring as bat excrement but you also need to give a little at some point if you care about anything at all.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

But therein lies the problem, if the future work requires a reset due to specific changes, then we are again resetting everything. 

This is why we are hesitant about a reset now because doing it without work means a future reset, and doing it with the work is not possible at this moment in time 

Is this purely a hypothetical situation being a reason to delay doing something, or is there an actual idea in store that you know will require a new map, and if so, why can't a new map be designed with the thoughts in mind and go from there?   Does that potential specific change mean home servers would have to reset too, should they be worried?  The only thing relevant to just elevation that would require a new map would be related to land control, and the amazing tower influence update for elevation that has done nothing but add a constant lag doesn't give high expectations, and beyond that, the post above me says the rest

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, SmeJack said:

The only real reason I could see for needing a second reset later would be if the awesome secret plan is some kind of land control crap so as to start each kingdom on an even footing, problem is that epic has always had its charm for not being the land control game that chaos was and more focused on open field fun. If that isn't the case then you really are forcing people to not bother paying/playing for a year or more if they even come back after, I hope it isn't the case because land control is boring as bat excrement but you also need to give a little at some point if you care about anything at all.

1 minute ago, MrGARY said:

Is this purely a hypothetical situation being a reason to delay doing something, or is there an actual idea in store that you know will require a new map, and if so, why can't a new map be designed with the thoughts in mind and go from there?   Does that potential specific change mean home servers would have to reset too, should they be worried?  The only thing relevant to just elevation that would require a new map would be related to land control, and the amazing tower influence update for elevation that has done nothing but add a constant lag doesn't give high expectations, and beyond that, the post above me says the rest

no land control planned at this moment. It's simply that work hasn't started, and we may hit the situation where it wont work with the existing map. 

We won't be looking at resetting the map until this work is underway, and it's not underway at the moment, and no concrete ideas 

3 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We won't be looking at resetting the map until this work is underway, and it's not underway at the moment, and no concrete ideas 

to refuse doing something because of "no concrete ideas"

i guess its done

thanks for answering

i give up

• Like 7

I'm sorry but a hypothetical outcome for something that has never been seen to be needed before is not really going help placate anyone and only really shows the empty words to be stronger than ever.

• Like 5

So epic and more specifically elevation the main epic pvp server will be completely left untouched with no attention for at least another year on top of the years already and potentially more, because of a potential but currently not thought of situation, is that correct?

Why would anyone play on elevation now?  There is no point to invest time and money into the server because there might be a change to the map sometime in the future but no guarantees. 

Can the people in charge of this game look at us with a straight face and explain to us why they think anyone should spend their money and time on the server that may or may not last?  Or are people expected to ignore epic for the next 1+ years?

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

no land control planned at this moment. It's simply that work hasn't started, and we may hit the situation where it wont work with the existing map. 

This (the above) is the path to madness. 

Give the people of Epic a new Elevation map and then implement it. Make it small enough that people trip over each other. This will make combat happen. If you don't have the time ask the community to do it instead (thinking about the interesting effort TC made when they changed their designs, that was a solid community winning effort with lots of community involvement).

If it turns out that 1 year from now you have an idea that leads to a new map two years from now then at least you will have a solid reason to have a conversation with your community about why a reset is needed, with good solid reasons. 

In the meantime you've given people a new map to play on, hopefully some engaging combat to enjoy and perhaps a much stronger community will happen as a result.

The amount of work required to put a new map into place is trivial (this isn't supposition, I've done it multiple times).

If you want to go a bit further to recreate the Epic 180 idea that's been bandied about most of that is easily accomplished with mods (I've written a bunch that get rid of things like altars, meditation rugs, hell horses etc so even that request is relatively small as well).

I think people are most upset at the trivial things that they are requesting that are being made into these huge efforts when in reality the effort isn't huge. Unfortunately when WU came out it ripped open the curtain and made it possible to understand just how hard these kind of changes are.

It's time to stop being the problem and instead start being an active and effective part of the solution.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Epic was originally meant to reset on a set schedule anyways.  I personally wouldn't mind a reset now, I'd probably start playing again, and then even if whatever work I put in post reset gets reset again, I still wouldn't mind.  A continually resetting and refreshing cluster has some appeal in that it doesn't stagnate with power creep as the veteran accounts get stronger and traded around, while the newbies can never catch up.  If you leave a pvp cluster running long enough without resets, eventually account purchases become almost mandatory to be even somewhat competitive in pvp.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Alexgopen said:

Epic was originally meant to reset on a set schedule anyways.  I personally wouldn't mind a reset now, I'd probably start playing again, and then even if whatever work I put in post reset gets reset again, I still wouldn't mind.  A continually resetting and refreshing cluster has some appeal in that it doesn't stagnate with power creep as the veteran accounts get stronger and traded around, while the newbies can never catch up.  If you leave a pvp cluster running long enough without resets, eventually account purchases become almost mandatory to be even somewhat competitive in pvp.

if we would talk about a skill AND map reset, i personally would be all for it

and continue to reset it every 2 years or so

but i dont think thats what retro is able to give us you know

retro, give us a new map, please

we are basically asking you to give us a reason to keep dumping money into the game

take that chance jesus...

Edited by Quicktor
  • Like 1

a well made map suited for a population of 20 to 100 people(which is realistically what we have had for years now) that gives people freedom to move around (not seamlessly, but well enough) for battle camp contesting and other shenanigans would be perfect

imo, current elevation and chaos aren't meant for these battle camps. I think the battle camps are a genius idea for encouraging off deed pvp but their implementation on the other servers seem to not fit well with the map size/structure of those servers

though I do have two things I would like to see with it, that are relatively minor in terms of development time, I think.

1. tower construction time isn't on par with what it takes to destroy them, or even remotely close to what it used to be. bashing damage needs to be bumped up as 1 person can make a tower in like 8 minutes on epic and it still takes 30minutes for 10 people to take out one tower that is uncontested

2. deed disbanding via consecutive drains on non capitals would be amazing to have against war deeds (make it to where a capital can only be changed once every two weeks or something to prevent capital abuse?) idk im sure someone has a better idea or something for this

thats all i've got left to say on this subject, I think this would be moving in the right direction for a variety of player types. just as many people said last time, continued minor tweaks and changes will be needed as the game progresses, but at least this gives us a foundation to work from on elevation for now

• Like 2

There hasn't been a new map for Wurm Online since 2015, when Elevation was reset. It's been over 4 years since there's been new land. Anyone who only heard of Wurm through Wurm Unlimited (for example, me) has never had the opportunity to experience a new map for the game. That gold rush sensation of exploring new land and claiming it as your own.

Players on PvP want a new map. Players from Wurm Unlimited might be interested in trying Wurm Online with a new map. Who knows, maybe it's just the bombshell you want for the upcoming dev stream.

• Like 12