Did you know that repeated behaviour like complaining, makes neurons in your brain reach out to each other and fuse together so that the next time you complain, you brain doesn’t have to work as hard to complain again. 

“Neurons that fire together, wire together”

That means, over a prolonged period of time, you won’t even recognise it in yourself that you are complaining. 

Did you also know that prolonged complaining damages your hippocampus which is an area of your brain responsible for strategic thinking and intelligent thought? 

Furthermore did you know that prolonged exposure to other people complaining is also just as detrimental to yourself? Sort of like how second hand smoke is detrimental to those around it too. 

Food for thought.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is to either enjoy the product you are choosing to purchase or choose not to purchase the product.

Wasn’t it Einstein who was credited for the saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Side note: Let me know if you’re in the market for a Wand of the seas, a ton of mats to help your own island village (inc a heap of slate bricks and dirt), PVP toons (Chaos or Epic), Drake armour sets and a heap of other stuff inc a deed on Release once all that stuff is sold (if there is even a market left lol)

• Like 6

I miss the days when you had chain armour and just went out on an adventure, you were not scared of fighting and people were not scared of fighting you. Today here is so much value in gear, atleast on Chaos. Then we got sotg, tomes, the new priests. I don't know, it just killed it for me.

I think a new map with fresh skills would be fun. It's not a long term solution, but it tends to bring an influx of players and I sure as hell would have fun for as long as it lasts.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sharkin said:

I miss the days when you had chain armour and just went out on an adventure, you were not scared of fighting and people were not scared of fighting you. Today here is so much value in gear, atleast on Chaos. Then we got sotg, tomes, the new priests. I don't know, it just killed it for me.

I think a new map with fresh skills would be fun. It's not a long term solution, but it tends to bring an influx of players and I sure as hell would have fun for as long as it lasts.

just to put this here people are going out in leather even and a certain someone keeps going out in cloth >.> it keeps changing too much now its no longer "oh you have to wear scale or drake to run around solo" its more over "if they find you they wait for buddies to come out to slaughter you instead of have a fun 1vs1" that makes roaming around no fun on chaos anyway :P

21 hours ago, Retrograde said:

We agree that we can share more information and the issues with feeling in the dark, the entirety of this entire change with the dev cycle is to address them by providing more clear and predictable update cycles and allow us to showcase what's coming each minor and major updates. 

I think this is a step in the right direction. However, some advice: bring something substantial to the first development stream that you can discuss in depth. If your first development stream ends up being a cop-out on all the tough questions, you're just making false promises here. You should know what type of questions you're going to receive and you should be able to answer them clearly when they come through twitch chat. By the end of the stream, players should have new information that they can discuss.

You have a really good opportunity to shift the mentality of the player base here. The first official development stream only happens once. Make it count and set a precedent for future ones so people are more likely to tune in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clova said:

Did you know that repeated behaviour like complaining, makes neurons in your brain reach out to each other and fuse together so that the next time you complain, you brain doesn’t have to work as hard to complain again. 

“Neurons that fire together, wire together”

That means, over a prolonged period of time, you won’t even recognise it in yourself that you are complaining. 

Did you also know that prolonged complaining damages your hippocampus which is an area of your brain responsible for strategic thinking and intelligent thought? 

Furthermore did you know that prolonged exposure to other people complaining is also just as detrimental to yourself? Sort of like how second hand smoke is detrimental to those around it too. 

Food for thought.

My advice, for what it’s worth, is to either enjoy the product you are choosing to purchase or choose not to purchase the product.

Wasn’t it Einstein who was credited for the saying “The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results.”

Side note: Let me know if you’re in the market for a Wand of the seas, a ton of mats to help your own island village (inc a heap of slate bricks and dirt), PVP toons (Chaos or Epic), Drake armour sets and a heap of other stuff inc a deed on Release once all that stuff is sold (if there is even a market left lol)

omg this, how hard could it be for people to chill and have fun

On 5/19/2019 at 3:02 AM, Retrograde said:

I mean, if there's balance discussion to be had, feel free to add it here: 

If it's arguing and yelling and leading to threads being locked or remove, it's not constructive at all. 

I want to see the next path of love medication change thread locked then, you always talking as if freedom threads don't get the same arguments, you can scroll past it you know. 

Epic isn't a lot of work, you just shut it down and reboot with the basics. Atleast we know we can start to build our kingdoms up on fresh foundations as updates come, than build them on foundations we know are going to crumble. 

Think about that. 

Basically, give epic a new map. That's a lot less effort than any update you mentioned so far, no? 

Yet is the one called for the most. 

Edited by Mclavin
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, Mclavin said:

Basically, give epic a new map. That's a lot less effort than any update you mentioned so far, no? 

Honestly, all dissing aside.... 

As a dev I wouldn't waste time making you guys a new map that you'll HATE on sight.  Saw how that rolled last time =P

Make a thread amongst yourselves, post a few hand drawn sketches of what features you expect to find in new epic maps (dunno, a mountain range in the shape of a Mercedes logo that splits the map into three distinct hard to breach by land areas with a valley in the center for stuffs ... that kinda of "feature").  Once you got the general consensus of what you want,  what size, how many islands, how smooth or otherwise, talk the devs into making a community contest out of it.  Hell I'd throw a couple of heightmaps into the run for kicks.  Imagine playing Epic on a map made by Mord =P 

2 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

As a dev I wouldn't waste time making you guys a new map that you'll HATE on sight.  Saw how that rolled last time =P

you mean this map? i kept a copy of it for future reference

BlhXknm.png''

they have multiple devs that have made amazing maps, but anything remotely similar to the size and structure of the old elevation map would suffice (without the map destroying terraforming events thanks)

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

Make a thread amongst yourselves, post a few hand drawn sketches of what features you expect to find in new epic maps (dunno, a mountain range in the shape of a Mercedes logo that splits the map into three distinct hard to breach by land areas with a valley in the center for stuffs ... that kinda of "feature").  Once you got the general consensus of what you want,  what size, how many islands, how smooth or otherwise, talk the devs into making a community contest out of it.  Hell I'd throw a couple of heightmaps into the run for kicks.  Imagine playing Epic on a map made by Mord =P 

"making" "new"

GIVE US OLD ELE.

Or, put Ausimus on the case, nobody hates his maps. Easy. What effort?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sindusk said:

I think this is a step in the right direction. However, some advice: bring something substantial to the first development stream that you can discuss in depth. If your first development stream ends up being a cop-out on all the tough questions, you're just making false promises here. You should know what type of questions you're going to receive and you should be able to answer them clearly when they come through twitch chat. By the end of the stream, players should have new information that they can discuss.

You have a really good opportunity to shift the mentality of the player base here. The first official development stream only happens once. Make it count and set a precedent for future ones so people are more likely to tune in.

In that case I must stress it will not be a PvP discussion stream, we may touch on some topics but our answers aren't likely to change from what we've said here, PvP may receive tweaks and adjustments to balance mechanics, but we will not be doing any major scale work until next year, our current plans for this year though will be plenty to discuss 

As someone who started out on Epic, waay back in the day, I really want to be sympathetic to the folks agitating here.  But I can't help feeling any dev who actually reads this is likely to be so discouraged by the level of vitriol, they'll just go find something else to do.  We've already had people shouting for the devs to tell us anything at all, even something really nebulous.  Then, when PR say they're getting a statement together, with plans etc., the demands change to "tell us something substantial or GTFO".

Honestly, if you're not happy, please just go - find another game or community that pleases you, and be happy.  It seems the folks complaining the loudest are the ones who left ages ago.

• Like 8

I still play, occasionally log into WO then realise its a waste of effort. Even pve is dead compared to what it used to be. You weren't able to get a word into global on xanadu when that launched.. there was a sense that you only traded with the 40 or so locals near you and the mere thought about someone on the other side of the map was non existent/unnecessary.  

Just reading up on answers here and it is the same vague responses as before where nothing is really explained or any hints given on where the game is headed.

Maybe time to switch whoever is in charge of what the dev team is to work on? 

This game needs some serious changes like the one Platinum and Mclovin said, new Elevation map/the old one back and most likely something the same way on Chaos and it is needed now not in a year.....
Remove the playergods and tomes and bring the game back to when you didn't have to spend tons of money on toons/materials and whatever to be able to have some fun in pvp.
Bring back the old way to get shieldskill up instead of having it the way it is now, only one i seen defend it is Retro...rest of the people i played with hates that change, same with the archery nerf. 

There has been so many suggestions from players on things to do/fix to attract more players but it is all being ignored, mostly with the "we are working on something right now but we cant tell you anything" answers....

It really is time for the people in charge to get down from their imaginary thrones and talk to the people that buy your product....if i'd do the same thing as you guys do working as a chef my restaurant would not have a single customer....

• Like 3

I've read this thread, and many others, regarding PVP. Let me preface this by saying I have only stepped foot on Chaos once, and that was to intentionally die. Damn milking affinity... Anyway, I feel the need to put in my two cents, well, because I like attention? Or possibly to provide some different insight...

I have played Wurm for three years now. Not long compared to others, but I have spent a lot of time and have some decent stats. I've been told repeatedly I *should* try pvp, but I haven't. Why? Why is an important question here, because without numbers there will be no real change to the PVP aspect of Wurm. As stated above (and yes, flamed for) it doesn't make a ton of business sense to invest in something that doesn't cater to the largest segment. In business, and games ARE business, you always want to hit the biggest target audience possible. 

So why won't I step into PVP? Simply put, player toxicity.

I read the forums, and all I see are whining and complaining; against the devs, against players, against mechanics. Bitching about every aspect remotely related to pvp. Why would I want to invest time, and my own money, into something that clearly is toxic? I mean, all these forum posts about how horrible something is must be true right? RIGHT? Or wait, maybe it's a vocal few who are stepping up and representing the real player base. Maybe it is those representatives who are the toxic ones? The ones who are driving the ideal (said tongue in cheek) potential pvp player as far away from it as possible? 

How about instead of constantly bitching about the problems, you, the pvp community, actually step up and start letting those of us who have never tried it know the reasons we should care. How about instead of pushing me, and many others, away from pvp you start actively SUPPORTING the pvp aspect of the game? I promise you, if you did the numbers would increase. Would players all stay pvp? Probably not, but some will. But you have zero chance of growing the customer side when all I read are the negatives..

Just my two cents.

• Like 7

We are here discussing this because  WE CARE. This needs more attention then a year down the road. The names here have shown their committment in time and money to this game.I go to freedom to see a white name in local (besides Aluna,s) get a momentary rush . I will not condemn the PVE players I have met many great people there.. As many have said I also do not want to have to be a priest to be viable in PVP . 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Clova said:

no it was this guy right?

718e4d3147148ab4b04081c1ae8b7e5a.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Retrograde said:

In that case I must stress it will not be a PvP discussion stream, we may touch on some topics but our answers aren't likely to change from what we've said here, PvP may receive tweaks and adjustments to balance mechanics, but we will not be doing any major scale work until next year, our current plans for this year though will be plenty to discuss 

Get'r dun!

On 5/19/2019 at 1:19 AM, Retrograde said:

If your post adds nothing to the discussion then it can be removed.

posting a laughing face about epic in 2020 is nothing that is needed,wanted, or constructive. 

If you wish to participate in the discussion, feel free to 

is constructive, read it dont promise things that YOU cannot back up.
PD: bring old fishing back

• Like 3

On 5/19/2019 at 2:02 AM, Quicktor said:

you are postponing everything you have been saying for the last years, to basically let us know NOW after we have tried to get a definitive answer for months that nothing is gonna happen with pvp?

yeah get ready to lose even more subs lol, rip

is normal retro isnt a dev, and new things are slow...
i can see various scenarios about this, retro say/promise things without consult devs,  bad comunication between public relationships and dev team, devs dont give a ###### about retro words or just he is a clown. We also had some issues with some wurm streamers isnt?

8 hours ago, Mclavin said:

"making" "new"

GIVE US OLD ELE.

Yes, new, moving forward.  Guess no dev can say it but I'm gonna warrant a GUESS at another reason why PvP is receiving way less love:  Your own threads, own/others' suggestions' threads, discussion threads, joke threads.... It's like you guys would be happier if someone revived some 2010 backups of the game and made THAT PvP (at least you sure as hell love giving that impression).

Been seeing it for years.  Any change to the game, be it global, be it PvE only, be it PvP only... it sets you guys off to the point that's reminiscent of giving a cat a pill.  After enough stitches, the cat gets kicked out of the house and at best gets a dish of food put out in the yard every morning............. speak of... /snip, gotta feed the cat... at least Abby doesn't claw my hand off every time I pet her.

2 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

Yes, new, moving forward.  Guess no dev can say it but I'm gonna warrant a GUESS at another reason why PvP is receiving way less love:  Your own threads, own/others' suggestions' threads, discussion threads, joke threads.... It's like you guys would be happier if someone revived some 2010 backups of the game and made THAT PvP (at least you sure as hell love giving that impression).

Been seeing it for years.  Any change to the game, be it global, be it PvE only, be it PvP only... it sets you guys off to the point that's reminiscent of giving a cat a pill.  After enough stitches, the cat gets kicked out of the house and at best gets a dish of food put out in the yard every morning............. speak of... /snip, gotta feed the cat... at least Abby doesn't claw my hand off every time I pet her.

you guys, you guys, you guys

second sort of players?

generalisation makes it simple, you don't need to go into details, easier to criticize whole aspect of pvp

pve long live forever and ever

Edited by Wilczan

4 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

19 hours ago, Votip said:

demanding beign just treated as pve and not forgetting about pvp is something bad?

Imagine siuation when Chaos and Epic gets 31209312 updates and pve nothing. you would have same situation - pve players complaining that no one focus on them

I am pretty sure that you dont even know whats going on and what pvp players feels for a long time. pve players says about pvp toxicity, but does same stuff

ehh, i am just tired

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mordraug said:

pls dont kick the cat out ☹️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChampagneDragon said:

How about instead of constantly bitching about the problems, you, the pvp community, actually step up and start letting those of us who have never tried it know the reasons we should care. How about instead of pushing me, and many others, away from pvp you start actively SUPPORTING the pvp aspect of the game? I promise you, if you did the numbers would increase. Would players all stay pvp? Probably not, but some will. But you have zero chance of growing the customer side when all I read are the negatives..

I don't understand this feeling.  There have been countless threads on the forums from pvpers aimed at pvers to talk and understand why they don't play pvp, clear up misconceptions, and promote the pvp aspect of the game.  They are -always- met by toxicity from the pve side saying how people may just not want to pvp and stop forcing it on everyone  or they just want more brick slaves or whatever weird reason it was in whatever thread. 

Pvpers have supported pvp with a huge passion, yes there are some toxic pvpers the same way pve has them, but what you see going on lately is passion reaching a breaking point.  Passion from the players meeting a lack of passion in return from those in charge.  How can anyone in good conscience try to promote people to jump on a sinking ship just because it's a nice ship when it's not?  We just want the ship fixed first so it can sail again.  The problem is that those that can fix it are letting it sink further and further to the point we wonder when is it too far to be saved, and that's why we aren't happy with the answers finally given.  Plain and simple, if pvpers did not support the pvp side of the game, none of these threads would exist.

• Like 10