Sign in to follow this  
Wargasm

Animals trampling fresh fields

To my knowledge, when an animal grazes, it first checks for grass or a farm tile that it is standing on to eat from.  If it isn't grazeable (like a tree tile, dirt or packed dirt, road etc), then the animal looks at the items on the ground and eats from those, like if I were to drop a pile of 10 garlic.

I do not use enchanted grass in my stables, because they are the edge of a good sized farm, and I do not want grass to grow onto my farm while I'm harvesting and haven't replanted yet.  That being said, I plant whatever I'm growing in my pens as well.  I sow two tiles of a 1x2 pen, I drop 4 garlic on each of the two tiles and I move on to the next pen.  I come back the next day to breed, and see that the freshly sown garlic has been eaten, both tiles are dirt, and the animals then eat the 4 garlic on each tile to stay fed for a little while.

I'd like to suggest adding a "check" to an animal's logic when they graze.  Instead of blindly eating a farm tile, please change it so that they check to see if it is a freshly sown tile.  If it is, they eat from the pile instead.  If there is no pile, THEN they eat the freshly sown tile.

unknown.png

This is 24 hours after I replanted my pens.  All the garlic on the ground is GONE, and while grass happens to have grown over 1 tile in the next pen, the horses have nothing to eat because all the crops were eaten so quickly they never had a chance to grow.  

I also exclusively use farm tiles for my animals. Because freshly sown crops are so vulnerable, I often will physically move animals to another pen or area or if that is not possible, at least check on that area  frequently in case I need to replant. In some cases i will hand feed the animal in hopes they won;t try to graze newly sown areas. So, I would support something that made animals not 'sense' freshly sown crops as even being an eatable source (if nothing else it won't hurt them to go just one day hungry)

So I guess that means  +1  from me, though I am not very  hopeful they will do this. It's not really a gamebreaker, just a mild annoyance.

But really, who needs things to be annoying?

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

I do not use enchanted grass in my stables, because they are the edge of a good sized farm, and I do not want grass to grow onto my farm while I'm harvesting and haven't replanted yet.

Is this actually possible? I don't believe I've ever seen grass propagate from enchanted tiles.

Well, let me clarify a couple things...

First, the grass grows from outside my L shape of pens, and the pens serve as a perimeter for my farm (on deed).  The grass would have to grow 3 tiles in order to spread onto my farm, because it has to go through a 2x1 pen.

Brash, I completely agree.  I feed my horses until they are full before I re-plant the dirt, and the screenshot above was the result 24 hours later.  It's not like I had 6 horses in a 2x1 pen or anything.

I like the thought here but instead it may be best to just code the freshly sown tile so that animals can't graze on it at all. Done! (if it can be done).

=Ayes=