Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

Errant wording in settlement upkeep description?

I think there might be errant wording in the description of decay rates when adding coin to settlement upkeep.

It says that if we have > 30 days of upkeep there is no 5% monthly decay, and if we have < 1 week of upkeep there is a 5% monthly decay.  But there's a gap between 1 week and 1 month.  What happens with decay during that time?

Or instead of < 1 week, do they mean < 1 month?

Edited by Titanius

I think they mean <1 month, as far as I know there is accelerated decay in the final 30 days and ...  I think it might be more than 5%? 

* ah, it is 5% decay on storage bin contents (FSB/BSB), and "very fast" decay on structures etc. I presume "very fast" is much more than 5%... but depends a lot on type (wood vs stone) and quality.  

But still, a valid question, why is it listed as either >1 month or <1 week ...?

Maybe the FSB/BSB decay only kicks in at final week, but sturucture decay kicks in at under 1, but they thougt things were too complicated to fit onto a tiny notice box? 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thanks for the clarification, B.E.

Maybe they could try condensing it like:

"No decay on settlement structures and storage bin contents if coffers hold more than 1 month of upkeep.

5% decay on settlement structures and storage bin contents if coffers hold less than 1 month of upkeep.

Accelerated decay on settlement structures and storage bin contents if coffers hold less than 1 week of upkeep."

Or something like that.

Edited by Titanius

17 hours ago, Titanius said:

5% decay on settlement structures and storage bin contents if coffers hold less than 1 month of upkeep.

It gets even more complicated, I think the 5% decay is only on the storage bin contents and is calculated monthly, while the structure decay is entirely different, is a random amount , influenced by quality+materials, and is calculated daily.   The decay types/speed/% are completely unrelated for the storage contents and the structures.  So you need to keep structures & storage contents in separate sentences, they each have their own separate rules.

(I might be wrong; I often am)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

In that case, it would be better to organize it by time first, maybe something like:

With more than 1 month of upkeep:

- no decay on structures or storage bin contents.

With less than 1 month of upkeep:

- structures decay at .......

- storage bin contents decay at 5% per month.

With less than 1 week of upkeep:

- structures decay at .......

- storage bin contents decay at x% per week.

Or if they don't want to list the actual percentages at the token, they could list them on the Wiki, and just have a simple description at the token, like:

With more than 1 month of upkeep there is no decay on structures or storage bin contents.

With less than 1 month of upkeep there is some decay on structures and storage bin contents.

With less than 1 week of upkeep, all decay is accelerated.  (See Wiki for details.)

I'm thinking the latter of the two is better.  All we really need to know at the token is that the amount of upkeep (> 1 month, < 1 month, and < 1 week) has an effect on decay.  The actual figures and calculations could be relegated to the Wiki.  It gets the main idea across and saves room.

Edited by Titanius