Sign in to follow this  
jonsnow

3x server - Homeage to Wurm Unlimited

Recommended Posts

Wurm Unlimited has been out long enough that it's pretty clear the comfort zone of the majority of -casual- players want 3x skill action, 3x skill gains. 

 

Why not make a server with 3x action/skill gains, make it free to play and after a set amount of time played in game can transfer to the normal servers?  Give them the option to transfer early, and give them 200 hours of play time on the free to play.

It's not hurting the economy any at this point because there isn't one, and they're mostly going to be playing by themselves, alone... wandering aimlessly so who cares if they got an advantage over others?

Edited by jonsnow
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh, what? 3x skill gain, free to play, and can transfer to normal servers?

What sort of delusional nonsense is this?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hailene,  WO is desperate for an infusion of players.  One of the main causes people are leaving - lack of players.  The world feels empty.  Not enough players to field cities.  At this point, beggers can't be choosers.

If Wurm Online advertised they had a limited Free to Play server that gave people a headstart I think it would cause a huge influx of players who have been wanting to try the game out but laughed at the monthly cost (since most games are now FTP monthly subscriptions are a joke) and the graphics and said "what substance can possibly be in this ugly game" and never gave it a chance.

 

Also if you don't know, almost every server on Wurm Unlimited runs at 3x action timers, 3x skill gain.  It is the standard for all servers.  No one wants this slow ass crap that's on Wurm Online, mainly because the beginning is so boring (constantly failing to attach parts is fun!) and so I think it's totally fair to allow people to get to the mid range of skills (up to 50) without restriction.

Edited by jonsnow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if someone already plays wu why would they swap to wo when they can just play wu

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hailene said:

Uh, what? 3x skill gain, free to play, and can transfer to normal servers?

What sort of delusional nonsense is this?

What is the harm of allowing people to skill up to 50 for free? Not like any 50-level skill is anything much for either market.

 

7 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

if someone already plays wu why would they swap to wo when they can just play wu

Lots of reasons and there are few examples of people either getting back to wo, or starting wo after Wu. @Mizova (what's her forum nickname) even had a kingdom half-full of people from her Wu server.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, jonsnow said:

  No one wants this slow ass crap that's on Wurm Online,

Excuse me, but I want it slow as it is now, anything faster would be crap in the long run

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, kochinac said:

Excuse me, but I want it slow as it is now, anything faster would be crap in the long run

Agreed, but letting people to get to adequate skill faster isn't crap in the long run. Instead hours of "you almost made a plank, but it's useless" is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nekoexmachina said:

Agreed, but letting people to get to adequate skill faster isn't crap in the long run. Instead hours of "you almost made a plank, but it's useless" is.

Letting people to get skill faster and letting them on server where people grinded 3x longer is quite crap however you turn it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonsnow said:

If Wurm Online advertised they had a limited Free to Play server that gave people a headstart I think it would cause a huge influx of players

 

 

They used to have this I believe. Well, not the 3X part but seriously I think that is the most unlikely part of the suggestion.  But, a free server that was separate from the paid servers. I believe (not 100% sure) that this was true of Golden Valley, not sure if an earlier server did this too, capped at 20 skills, 20Q items, but you had the option at anytime of turning "premium", jumping thru a portal with all your skills and items and moving to the "uncapped" subscription servers?  Freedom Isles used to be, paying customers ONLY.

 

Then one year -- 2010? -- rolf decided to allow F2P players onto the Freedom Servers. Huge outcry at first, but turned out there was a HUGE HUGE influx of new players.

 

Turned out the servers ran better when free server and paid server populations were able to intermingle at will. The veteran players would take the poor little confused newbs under their wings and teach them everything they needed to know about Wurm. 

 

If it was simply a 3X free, limited time server, I think this would be mostly filled with people's alts skilling up cheap & easy as high as they could go in 200 hours  before going live.   

 

Part of the initial draw of Epic servers was faster initial skilling up for newer players due to a unique skill curve system, though that was a pvp scenario. 

 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any suggestion as to how to increase player numbers in Wurm is interesting.

 

I would suggest that most players who are weaned on a 3x3x server up to 50 skill (or thereabouts) and then proceed onto a 1x1x server on Wurm, with the added reduction in skill gain post-50 will simply give it a few days, then move across onto one of the WU servers.

 

The players who enjoy Wurm seem to have a gene that needs challenge, some disappointment and grind to be happy. I play both forms, however both are 1x1x. The reason why I enjoy the WU version as well is because of events (needs a dedicated server owner) and because of the very active community who are happy to help everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jonsnow said:

Also if you don't know, almost every server on Wurm Unlimited runs at 3x action timers, 3x skill gain.  It is the standard for all servers.   

 

 

Actually I am not sure that is true. Many 1x servers. Many 10x servers. Even some 250x-1000x servers.

 

Biggest servers are:  5x (Sklo) , Mythmoor (7.5x) but Mystic Highlands (1x) has had a decent stable population for years now.  Probably 3x is very common but I am pretty certain "almost all" of the playerbase is NOT on 3x servers. it might actually be a minority of the player base.  Also, a lot of 3x servers seem to disappear and reappear with very frequent intervals, at least many of the ones I have tried out. (Trying to recall offhand one that has been around for several years ...  EDIT: KANGAWU & REVENANT how could I forget those...).  Mods also play a role in what server people select. Some want none.. Some want lots. Some want only a few.

 

WU is the "31 Flavors" of the wurm world, there is no such thing as "this is what everyone wants."

 

__________________

 

** edit: I screened wurm launcher to show only servers with "3x" in their name/description.  Nine servers showed up, for a grand total of 13 players. Four servers had 0 players, the busiest (Water World) had 6 but is also still very 'untested' at  only a few days old. (**Actually Water World is not even a "true" 3x/3x server, it is 2X skill 3x action, so ignore 6 of those 13 total players ....) 

 

Actually, the most "popular" server in having both  number of servers + total number of players,  seemed to be   ....  1x servers!  The same as WO!  Sixteen servers with 39 players, far more common and popular than 3x.

 

Though I imagine the majority of players actually are on 5x and higher, just from Sklo + Mythmoor populations alone. Both have been flourishing for many years now and run by excellent teams  (However, I think a fair number of people get restless and go server-hopping more frequently with the faster servers, but that may actually just be my own bias/observational error. We tend to always think most other people will behave like ourselves, eh?)

 

Some don't list any action/skill rating in their launcher description and you have to go track down the info -- however that is true of very fast servers, very slow servers, and anything in between. At the top, there is truly a jumble of fast-slow-medium.  But if you sort by pure population as the criteria,  it becomes very quickly clear that "almost every server"  is absolutely  NOT  3x/3x.  

 

 

 

Final Rating:

 

Truth-O-Meter.jpg

 

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This post is also making a good morning for me today. It's always nice when a suggestion makes a false claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jonsnow said:

so who cares if they got an advantage over others?

The main death knell I see in your suggestion is exhibited here. Actually the "old" players previous to this change that you propose are the heart of the game and "new" players are just speculative ones that may arrive under this lure. The problem being that you break the game concept of progression for all the "old" players by allowing newer ones this fast tract in characteristics and skill gains, which can then move over to their existing servers. Possibly even worse is the experience of these newer players after the *fix* wears off, meaning that their high is now gone and they are for the first time experiencing the shock of playing the game at 1x1. So not even a good idea for this added reason, which I think is second place to the first I mentioned of more importance.

 

Don't forget also that there are a lot of account sales in this game and your suggestion offers the perfect opportunity for account sales profiteers to skill up accounts with focus on the much more slower skills to rise and then $$. Add to this the additional fast rising of normally slow characteristics and a lot of "new" player accounts will enjoy the profits of being created and "played".

 

Just a bad idea all around which can't be justified by stating that it is good because we need more new players and this might help. Naw...

 

=Ayes=

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Ayes said:

The main death knell I see in your suggestion is exhibited here. Actually the "old" players previous to this change that you propose are the heart of the game and "new" players are just speculative ones that may arrive under this lure. The problem being that you break the game concept of progression for all the "old" players by allowing newer ones this fast tract in characteristics and skill gains, which can then move over to their existing servers. Possibly even worse is the experience of these newer players after the *fix* wears off, meaning that their high is now gone and they are for the first time experiencing the shock of playing the game at 1x1. So not even a good idea for this added reason, which I think is second place to the first I mentioned of more importance.

 

Don't forget also that there are a lot of account sales in this game and your suggestion offers the perfect opportunity for account sales profiteers to skill up accounts with focus on the much more slower skills to rise and then $$. Add to this the additional fast rising of normally slow characteristics and a lot of "new" player accounts will enjoy the profits of being created and "played".

 

Just a bad idea all around which can't be justified by stating that it is good because we need more new players and this might help. Naw...

 

=Ayes=

markets is almost dead, so many sellers and a few buying, bulk prices even dropped (or some players made it drop, who knows). Also there always players leveling accounts for money, so let them sell a little more and sink their market after...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kochinac said:

Letting people to get skill faster and letting them on server where people grinded 3x longer is quite crap however you turn it

skilling to 50 is pretty much 1/8 or 1/10 of skilling to 90.

 

It gives new people ability to forge nice enough tools to not rely on old accounts.

 

I understand why old accounts are upset;

 

But I don't see this as a bad thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brash you are correct.  You also are proof of my point!  You play both wo and wu or at least have at some point.  Our biggest pool of potential players is wu, which already acts as a new player server of sorts.  

 

Its just a matter of determining what are the most popular traits of a wu server, and then replicate something similar to entice those players to come to the more stable, long term, permanent server who offers.  I

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

 

 

Actually I am not sure that is true. Many 1x servers. Many 10x servers. Even some 250x-1000x servers.

 

Biggest servers are:  5x (Sklo) , Mythmoor (7.5x) but Mystic Highlands (1x) has had a decent stable population for years now.  Probably 3x is very common but I am pretty certain "almost all" of the playerbase is NOT on 3x servers. it might actually be a minority of the player base.  Also, a lot of 3x servers seem to disappear and reappear with very frequent intervals, at least many of the ones I have tried out. (Trying to recall offhand one that has been around for several years ...  EDIT: KANGAWU & REVENANT how could I forget those...).  Mods also play a role in what server people select. Some want none.. Some want lots. Some want only a few.

 

WU is the "31 Flavors" of the wurm world, there is no such thing as "this is what everyone wants."

 

__________________

 

** edit: I screened wurm launcher to show only servers with "3x" in their name/description.  Nine servers showed up, for a grand total of 13 players. Four servers had 0 players, the busiest (Water World) had 6 but is also still very 'untested' at  only a few days old. (**Actually Water World is not even a "true" 3x/3x server, it is 2X skill 3x action, so ignore 6 of those 13 total players ....) 

 

Actually, the most "popular" server in having both  number of servers + total number of players,  seemed to be   ....  1x servers!  The same as WO!  Sixteen servers with 39 players, far more common and popular than 3x.

 

Though I imagine the majority of players actually are on 5x and higher, just from Sklo + Mythmoor populations alone. Both have been flourishing for many years now and run by excellent teams  (However, I think a fair number of people get restless and go server-hopping more frequently with the faster servers, but that may actually just be my own bias/observational error. We tend to always think most other people will behave like ourselves, eh?)

 

Some don't list any action/skill rating in their launcher description and you have to go track down the info -- however that is true of very fast servers, very slow servers, and anything in between. At the top, there is truly a jumble of fast-slow-medium.  But if you sort by pure population as the criteria,  it becomes very quickly clear that "almost every server"  is absolutely  NOT  3x/3x.  

 

 

 

Final Rating:

 

Truth-O-Meter.jpg

 

 

 

maybe because they are wurm players that not paying subscription anymore to play wu instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last time a new server was released on the Freedom cluster was Xanadu, in June of 2014. This was roughly a year and a half before the release of Wurm Unlimited. For five years the game has been without a new server. Literally since the time I started playing and interacting with this game, there has never been a new place to play. Anyone who was introduced to the game via Wurm Unlimited has never had the opportunity to join Wurm Online through a new server.

Edited by Sindusk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree that "a new server" is the greatest magnet for people, even more so than skill gain speeds or loyalty gifts or bridges or sheep or any other factors. People LOVE a new server that is still mostly wilderness. Brand new players especially love a chance to not be so far behind everyone else.  Not sure what you could do about it in Wurm as everyone hates the mere suggestion of allowing the playerbase to thin out more, but really, it is the one sure way to get new and returning players. 

 

That's undoubtedly why Rolf kept releasing new servers -- everytime he did, total population and revenues would jump up.

 

But I guess you can't do it forever. Maybe?

 

 

Back when there was only ONE PVE server, Independence, population was actually much lower than it is now.  More on that one server for a much denser population (so hard to find decent deedable areas back then!), but also less overall playing Wurm back then.

 

 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Sindusk said:

The last time a new server was released on the Freedom cluster was Xanadu, in June of 2014. This was roughly a year and a half before the release of Wurm Unlimited. For five years the game has been without a new server. Literally since the time I started playing and interacting with this game, there has never been a new place to play. Anyone who was introduced to the game via Wurm Unlimited has never had the opportunity to join Wurm Online through a new server.

we had the challenge servers too with increased skill+curve and timers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, tamat said:

we had the challenge servers too with increased skill+curve and timers

Challenge is such wasted potential and everytime I remember it, I honestly regret missing it even more.

You want new content for the older players, the people with super high skills? Give us a Challenge server. Portal through to the Challenge server, and give it a new player character with the curve enabled. Give it a goal to reach a certain target or threshold either solo or as a group.

Even better, maybe even experiment with that horrible concept of battle royale? Jesus I'd find it fun to have to escape the death lasers from valrei when they decide action isn't happening soon enough. That weird rush to get some iron going, hoping you can get charcoal soon from a pile to make some basic steel armour. It's a weird concept, but I think Wurm would lend itself somewhat well to it, in a weird way.

 

But otherwise, big -1 to this idea. x3 skills is just going to speed up the rate in which you run out of ###### to do, and you can tell from these WU servers that the game really isn't designed with that change in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 11:38 PM, nekoexmachina said:

What is the harm of allowing people to skill up to 50 for free? Not like any 50-level skill is anything much for either market.

 

He edited his comment to put a 200 hour limit on this overpowered server.

 

On 5/16/2019 at 11:24 PM, jonsnow said:

No one wants this slow ass crap that's on Wurm Online, mainly because the beginning is so boring (constantly failing to attach parts is fun!) and so I think it's totally fair to allow people to get to the mid range of skills (up to 50) without restriction.

 

This makes no sense at all. This would probably be counterproductive.

You get a "large" influx of new players that start playing because the game is "easy". Then you do the old bait and switch and they're playing a "hard" game. They rage at how slow the game is and tell all their friends how awful the game is.

Yeah. Sounds great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two new server types always come to my mind when the suggestion of adding another is mentioned.

 

One would be something never done before, a server with no aggressive mobs on it. It would function exactly the same as all the current PvE servers except for this and can be traveled to the same way. I would think this would attract a lot of players both new and old since they can come and go freely from it, as well as making their deeds there to live.

 

The second would be a "hunting" type of server with more and new types of aggressive mobs on it connected to the others by sailing. No deeds allowed and other restrictions on building as appropriate. Although I don't think it would attract as many new players as the non-aggro one because of these deed and building restrictions. So it would be something more attractive to the current playerbase.

 

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
+

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this