Unclerusty

Tow rope for ship builders

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I would like to see the ability to "tow" a raft, rowboat, or sailboat put in the game. Imagine I am selling a Knarr to someone on another server, upon arrival I will have 6 silver in my pocket and no way to get home unless I have an alt which must have subscription given the body control requirements of boats, use 1000 karma per sale, or bring a friend who would much rather do something else other than spend hours facilitating his friends business delivery. I would say this is a silly, unnecessary handicap on shipbuilders. We have a "lead" mechanic for animals, a "drag mechanic" for other things. This I think is reasonable and not game breaking, you could make it so the other ship must be empty if there are any concerns over that. Thank you!

 

Edit: I think John's Idea of Loading, instead of or in addition to towing or leading is the best option. This would also make it easier to cross from one server to another with the second vessel.

Edited by Unclerusty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to load vehicles, not lead them. Loading a rowboat onto boats bigger than the corbita and up makes a lot of sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 it's not uncommon that ship tow another ship and it would make sale of them way much easier as you said.

It could be even interesting strategic decision for extra space if speed of ship would be impacted by towing so we could load 2 knarrs and slowly sail are humongous cargo back home instead of 2 faster trips with one knarr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Unclerusty said:

Imagine I am selling a Knarr to someone on another server, upon arrival I will have 6 silver in my pocket and no way to get home unless I have an alt which must have subscription given the body control requirements of boats ..

 

While I tend to +1 to the proposal, the above is not true. An alt which is not subbed may well command a rowing boat. Every basic char can do that.

 

I agree to John that an ability to load a smaller boat, at least a rowing boat, to ships either upwards from corbita, or for cog and caravel only (I would not like a knarr being able to do that). But even then, towing ships would make sense, also a hierarchy what could be towed by what, e.g. towing only possible by larger ship (or equal and larger ship?):

 

rowing boat - by every ship (maybe except sailboat)

sailboat - by (corbita?) knarr cog caravel

corbita - by (knarr?) cog caravel

knarr - by (knarr??, cog?) caravel

cog - by caravel

Edited by Ekcin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kochinac said:

+1 it's not uncommon that ship tow another ship

 

Show me a sailboat towing another sailboat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great suggestion! I agree that we need a "towing rope" being able to be crafted by ropemakers with high skill. Even then it shouldn't require but maybe 10 ropes woven together in some manner. Then just attach to each boat to tow the one behind (last attached).

 

=Ayes=

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies and feedback, I forgot about the rowboat requirements. In any case I think this idea is well worth exploring, as even making an alt and bringing him along in a rowboat to come back is still a silly unnecessary nuisance. I like the loading idea too, it may work better that way than a "tow" mechanic especially when crossing from one server to another and I had not considered that either. I Appreciate the feedback.

5 hours ago, Ekcin said:
5 hours ago, Ekcin said:

 

While I tend to +1 to the proposal, the above is not true. An alt which is not subbed may well command a rowing boat. Every basic char can do that.

 

I agree to John that an ability to load a smaller boat, at least a rowing boat, to ships either upwards from corbita, or for cog and caravel only (I would not like a knarr being able to do that). But even then, towing ships would make sense, also a hierarchy what could be towed by what, e.g. towing only possible by larger ship (or equal and larger ship?):

 

rowing boat - by every ship (maybe except sailboat)

sailboat - by (corbita?) knarr cog caravel

corbita - by (knarr?) cog caravel

knarr - by (knarr??, cog?) caravel

cog - by caravel

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John said:

 

Show me a sailboat towing another sailboat.

You literally just have to Google what you said and you'll get your answer ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd support loading. Leading a horse is already a pain...God knows what would happen if the towed boat gets stuck on some sandbar somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2019 at 8:47 PM, kochinac said:

You literally just have to Google what you said and you'll get your answer ;)


Yeah, modern sailboats towing by motor. Loading boats onto boats is more sensible with the time setting of Wurm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, John said:


Yeah, modern sailboats towing by motor. Loading boats onto boats is more sensible with the time setting of Wurm.

There were examples of rowing boat towing large ships through canals, also ship without crew can also be towed to other ship on the open seas... Would you drop it already, it is possible. I agree with loading rowboats and sailboats on larger ships, but nothing wrong with towing even and expecialy in Wurm settings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now