Sign in to follow this  
jonsnow

I've been waiting for years for...

6 minutes ago, MrGARY said:

I never said that, I said pvp needs players to function more than pve needs players to function.  People as a whole are leaving the game as evident by the steady decline of 20-40 prems a week, pvp just feels it more because they naturally had less players to begin with.  Though seeing as the pvp population hasn't been really changing as it can't get much lower, the steady prem drop is either pvp players that were premming without logging in (doubtful), or it's pve players leaving the game.  Right now, it seems that I've been waiting years for devs to do something about both pvp and pve players leaving the game.  We've been at a decline from 6300~ in the start of 2015 and we are currently 2148, so it's not even exaggeration or clueless.

I cannot for the life of me understand why what you just said doesn't seem to permeate this entire community.

How is it that only a few are really seeing what is going on?

People should be angry.

Edited by FranktheTank
  • Like 5

Stuff on table, damn that update made me like a child.

Simple and effective.

• Like 2

a PVP server with decent population

Edited by Gladiator
  • Like 1

Please keep the fighting to private messages we all don’t want to read the bickering everyone’s opinion is welcome here

12 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

I cannot for the life of me understand why what you just said doesn't seem to permeate this entire community.

People should be angry.

About 6-8 months ago I was one of the biggest cheerleaders for this game. I mean if you look at my post count vs my time playing the game, you'd see how much time I've devoted to this game and the forums. But I have first hand felt the bite of the rapid decline of this game. Its been half a year since PVP had any significant updates, and even longer since there was a groundbreaking system introduced (no, battlecamps is not a groundbreaking system, pvp is dead). 

This is the first time since I started the game that I have considered cashing out. I just finished a massive project on Independence and realized that there is no point. Most of my friends have quit, there is literally no future in the horizon on the PVP servers, and the PVE lands are desolate everywehere you go. Case in point: 

5db45cbbc01d45aa80481f1cb7a13aac.png

That's a whole cluster. Out of those 7 people, Arakiel and myself make 2. That means there's 5 other people split between four servers. That's a ratio of about 1 person per server. But given the likely scenario that most of those are one guy in serenity with his alts, we're talking about 4 servers with maybe 3-4 real players playing on them.

???

How is this NOT a problem?

No significant updates.

No roadmap.

No announced projects soon to be released.

No players to play the game with.

No real pvp of any substance.

We are up in the air and nothing is happening. 

That's why some people are up in arms. The writing is in the wall and it says...

Spoiler

221159a2f4a9cc839d47801d3bc2e46e.png

• Like 5

13 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I never said that, I said pvp needs players to function more than pve needs players to function.

Agreed, my apologies. The mentioning of the lion's share of players who left since 2012/13 has been discussed here (Hetul explained that the loss of PvP players on Epic and Wild/Chaos was 2 to 3 times more than Freedom players):

I can see there the often mentioned peak of 6,300 players in spring 2013, well 6 years ago. Since then, there is a constant decline on the long range, down to about 2,100 now. "steady decline of 20-40 prems a week" is an unreasonable figure, would mean 1,100 to 2,200 players per year. Maybe you meant per month? Even then I would call it an exaggeration, though a decline of 4,200 players in 75 months translates into a monthly loss of 56. But that was not a linear loss, rather over two third of that loss (3,100 to 3,300 ca.] happened in the first 3-4 years since 2012/13, and the decrease has significantly declined (it never was completely linear anyway). The creation of WU is often cited as responsible for at least some part of that loss.

I agree btw. that PvP needs numbers even more sadly than PvE. And I consider the evasive reactions of the devs and GM (most probably muted by the management) towards questions about the future of Epic detrimental. Btw. I appreciate your reasonable contributions, even where I disagree.

Edited by Ekcin

I wish that PvE side would be more fascinating and challenging, so i dont have to deal with hypocrits in pvp.

Valrei mobs back to game ty in pvp and pve servers!

Hopefully monster groups that roam around the map or in a certain area idc, just more challenging pve in overral.

More players, seeing the same faces constantly robbing the game on every corner feels bad. Also it makes this game feel dead.

Deleting all the current maps to make 1 pvp and 1-2 pve map aka rebooting the game except skill wise.

Overral game feels dull.. i would of wanted rifts to be like once in a month but that had to be ruined as well.

i wish that updates would be done properly, aka.. if you implement an creature, there should be proper sounds for that done also, or items... now its done with left hand and say... its at least something...

Edited by Themystrix

Crossbows, as someone else suggested, with bolts

Maybe a new freedom server for pvp-lite (no catapults/trebs, only bashing lockpicking) as a test.  By no means something permanent and broken, just to see if there's interest.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, FranktheTank said:

People should be angry.

The anger has faded, the battle lost. Apathy.

• Like 4

In the spirit intended in the op: Not necessarily in order of importance

1. Waterfalls!

2. Ability to create small ponds when not near enough to the water table (we can locate water tiles and build wells and fountains on them no matter how far from the water table, why can't we use that to then dig a small decorative pond in our gardens?

3. Revamped animal husbandry system that rewards rather than punishes the player with higher skills

4. Revamped pet system that allows you to actually keep them as proper pets and as battle companions (much like the OPs suggestion)

5.Revamped combat system, I don't pvp but even fighting mobs can be the most boring point and click routine after you are above the first few levels of skill so I can only imagine how dull the pvp must be

6.More uniques or 'boss' fights, set up so that the whole community can participate instead of a select elite few controlling  them all (a game company worth it's salt should be able to design something that works for this)

I'm sure there is more that I've forgotten for the moment but that's a few that stick in my mind.

Not part of what the OP intended but on most minds these days anyway, as evidenced by many posts in this thread alone, more players. The 'elephant in the room' of declining numbers and NO advertising at all. I know there is a lot of disagreement on this subject, but to me this is the most glaring mistake I've ever seen any game make and I have never been able to understand this decision to not advertise. Because it has been a conscious decision, lots of reasons offered why it is not a good time or it will come in future etc but it never does. This one thing alone has made me personally question if Rolf actually wants WO to die a slow and painful death? If so I'd much rather he just pull the plug and get it over with. I love this game more than any other I've ever played, and that's a lot, and though I'm personally going through a bit of burn out slump at the moment, I have no plans to ever quit permanently until they shut it down. If I could afford it I'd offer Rolf the budget needed to properly advertise and grow this game, but that's wishful thinking I know.

I'm not normally a 'moaner' who posts constant negative thinking on the game, but the elephant has simply got to be addressed and soon if we are going to be able to be focused on all the good stuff the dev team does and plans for us.

• Like 2

On 5/17/2019 at 11:13 AM, Poshy said:

create buildings like lumber mills or stone works that auto produce a small amount of materials (such as planks and bricks).

Only if I can call it Packard Sawmill, and have bombs planted in it by a man called Leo.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:12 PM, jonsnow said:

Something that if you suggested it in the forums would probably get you hate mail.

What I've been waiting for is for WO to be using WU as a sort of testing ground for things to implement in WO and then doing it, (like I thought they were going to).  Seeing what works & what doesn't, seeing which things really do debunk commonly held WO myths of "that-would-kill-the-game", taking the best & most popular features and putting them in WO.

Things that actually do debunk the tired old WO myths are things like teleports, everyone-can-be-a-priest, faster timers, cosmetic micro-transactions, hunting islands/servers, (or maybe even *gasp* instanced dungeons) etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.  A little more carrot and a little less stick.  I've been waiting for them to lighten up a little and stop with the "anything-potentially-cool-added-must-also-be-made-an-uncool-PITA-somehow" attitude.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Morrowen said:

The anger has faded, the battle lost. Apathy.

Very nicely composed and for that I appreciate it. Reminds me of the theme of some old science fiction books I used to read and just as applicable here. By that I mean it is fiction but nevertheless it does lead me to something that I have been waiting for for years and that is for players to appreciate the game for what it is and offers.

There are always ways that the game can improve and it is fine to present them on these forums but all too often they degenerate into these doom and gloom predictions that if things are not changed in this way or that the game will soon end. Anyone who has remained within this game for many years might wonder when this end will arrive. Supposedly it should have long ago. How long must they wait?

Meanwhile other players both old and new continue to enjoy playing the game. How are they able to do this? Are they just under the Nero syndrome while Wurm burns? Maybe it has more to do with their general outlook on things. Perhaps they just look back at all the years that have passed since they have played the game and seen all these dire predictions from others over the years of which nothing has become. The game still continues onward and with many many improvements over all those years obvious to them.

To make suggestions under the implied threat that if they are not implemented and soon that there is no hope for the game to survive and prosper is a hollow threat since those that do so attempt to force changes that they want with this retribution. If anything has some effect to destroy the game it is that attitude for with their own words they condemn the game to failure. Better they stop stomping their feet when they don't get their way and accept the fact that others than them will decide the best way for the game to proceed.

If you own enthusiasm for the game fades don't blame it on something other than yourself. Take up your own responsibility for this. Admit that it only held your interest for a period of time and move on and don't pop back in on these forums in an attempt to justify your departure with the complaints of others about the game. True they are like you in not accepting their own responsibility for their dissatisfaction and might too soon leave to reinforce your own opinion that it certainly is no fault of yours that you stopped playing but a failure of all these other reasonable suggestions that were never applied to make the game exactly as you would like it to be.

Yes, I have been waiting for years for the types of players I described to appreciate the game for what it is, enjoy what it offers and hope for more of the same improvements to continue to be made to it as the game Developers decide it is best. Yet I know I would wait for eternity for this to happen because people of this mindset can only cope by blaming others for their problems and dis-satisfactions in life. Since my time now grows short I try to enjoy what the day offers with little thought wasted on what it does not. So too the way of Wurm.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I can see there the often mentioned peak of 6,300 players in spring 2013, well 6 years ago. Since then, there is a constant decline on the long range, down to about 2,100 now. "steady decline of 20-40 prems a week" is an unreasonable figure, would mean 1,100 to 2,200 players per year. Maybe you meant per month? Even then I would call it an exaggeration, though a decline of 4,200 players in 75 months translates into a monthly loss of 56. But that was not a linear loss, rather over two third of that loss (3,100 to 3,300 ca.] happened in the first 3-4 years since 2012/13, and the decrease has significantly declined (it never was completely linear anyway). The creation of WU is often cited as responsible for at least some part of that loss.

It's a current trend, you can see here https://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/paying.html

35 drop in the week graph, 116 drop in the monthly graph.

2652 peak 2151 current, 501 prem drop in roughly 5 months is roughly a loss of 100 a month which averages to also roughly a loss of 25 a week, and the graph since the peak at new years is pretty linear on average.  Obviously it will start to reach a loss of 0 per month but it does not appear to be doing that right now, so it paints the depressing picture that we're talking about and asking the devs to do something to fix it.

• Like 2

I would like to be able to use shift button for a 50% speed boost sprint on foot for 100% stamina increase cost.

It would be a game changer for me :D

• Like 2

free flowing water that is what i want

why did rolf have to go and butt heads with the dev that was working on that why D': i want to flood my deed mate's their lowered houses so badly :(

• Like 1

A categorized list for stone walls, not scrolling for 40 minutes to get to slate walls would be nice

• Like 1

Adding a new one:

1. announce no more developments for pvp.  Clearly after this many years and the game shrinking in population they do not have the resources or time to fiddle around with a failing product in PVP.  Instead, they should revamp the end-game of the PVE world from crafting, to PVE monsters, to animal taming...  This coming from someone who quit because the pvp servers were dead (years ago on HOTS) and there weren't any more players coming.  Wurm Online is the best version of The Sims medieval out there and they need to double down on this concept. 

PVP has been a thorn in this games side for a long time, filling the boards with constant bickering/complaints for years, and any new player that happens to try pvp will be quickly turned off when they realize it will take years to compete and in the mean time since there's so few players, you're going to get a lot of visits from the locals.  Imagine if they had relocated all that time/effort into the PVE side of things, we wouldn't still be killing spiders and gators non stop.

Edited by jonsnow
  • Like 1

that last part has a simple fix

xd