Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Remove visuals of "harvestable fruit" from trees in "shriveled" state

The new fruit addition to trees is AH-MAZE-ING. Love love love! It has enhanced usability, giving us a visual indicator of when fruit can be harvested.

However this fails in the case of shriveled trees - which cannot be pruned, cannot be harvested. It breaks the beautiful usability benefit immediately and you find yourself climbing up that steep hill, thinking you'll be able to pick cherries, only to realize that you can't after all. 

And from the perspective of "realism", a shriveled tree would have dropped it's fruit ages ago anyhow. Right? 

• Like 3

This was fixed before, are you seeing them on WO? Perhaps the change hasn't made it to WU yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samool said:

This was fixed before, are you seeing them on WO? Perhaps the change hasn't made it to WU yet.

Ohhhh so they have been indeed! I was grumbling to myself about this issue last cherry season already but never got around to making a forum post about it. Now that we're in cherry season again, I was picking in a very dense cherry orchard and when I saw cherries on the shriveled tree, I thought to myself: "Ok Malena, I think it's about time you go and make a post about this!" And when I came to this forum I did a search to see if anyone had posted about this prior, but didn't find any posts so then I wrote one. Never thought to check client bugs. 

After seeing your response, and picking all the surrounding trees I did indeed see all the cherries go away this time. (the branches had just been overlapping onto the shriveled one before).

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for responding. Absolutely awesome that this has been fixed! Yay!

Edited by Malena
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Samool said:

By the way @Samool I'm noticing that now "overaged" trees don't show fruit until you have pruned them. Where as before they did. I think it was better that way before because in practice, they actually did have fruit, you just had to prune it to get at it.

The whole point of seeing the fruit for me, is not because it's pretty or cute, but because it improves the usability aspect. I was so thrilled about this fruit update, because it meant I could finally go and pick trees based on whether I see fruit on them or not. 

Making overaged trees hide the fruit actually takes us back to the "old age" since I can't check their status from a distance after all. I have to go back to walking/climbing all the way over to the tile, just in case it's overaged.

Edited by Malena

Overaged trees never showed as harvestable when mouse-overed either, visible fruit was made to work the same - it might be confusing to some, seeing fruit but not seeing the harvest option.

6 minutes ago, Samool said:

Overaged trees never showed as harvestable when mouse-overed either, visible fruit was made to work the same - it might be confusing to some, seeing fruit but not seeing the harvest option.

I understand the reasoning and you're right that having them display fruit without the harvest option would be confusing and not right either. But I now notice myself almost missing the overaged trees because they look like the trees I already picked clean.

It's a terrible shame. Now this means the fruits showing has just been reduced to being "something pretty to look at" instead of the huge usability bonus it gave before. 

I have to wonder: Could we not change it then, so that trees are harvestable also during the overaged stage? From the immersion/realism perspective there is not a problem and it's not like "pruning trees to access their fruits" was ever an especially enjoyable game mechanic. On the contrary, it's just tedious without being fun. Before when the fruits were showing at overaged, it was atleast somehow bearable because you saw the fruit just dangling there, waiting to be harvested. So it felt "worth it" to prune so you could get to it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malena said:

Now that we're in cherry season again, I was picking in a very dense cherry orchard and when I saw cherries on the shriveled tree, I thought to myself: "Ok Malena, I think it's about time you go and make a post about this!"

Maybe you are just being too *pickey* here? ;)

=Ayes=

and let us pick a variety of fruits without a sickle, no one in RL picks  lemons, cherries apples and so on with sickles. that should be a feature for bushes like camelia. Also make apples be red apples or visually green apples at least.