Sign in to follow this  
PWreset

how do I get Color of equal shades?

Ok, there is one specific thing why I never went into dyes much:

bigger structures.

If I do not want to make one huge barrel of color, but need the same color shade multiple times made, because I just can not make a huge one at once. How do i get the same shade of color reliably? the way ql affects the color values really screws that up and I couldn't find a way or guide telling me.

Edited by PWreset

Short answer is .. you're screwed .. as you mentioned..

The way it works .. just wont let you have that... in an easy way.. even with runes.. you have that worse mechanic where everything is just COMPLETELY RANDOM.

Here for normal dyes.. you can mix colors up to 2250kg? I think huge oill barrels could hold that much.. or close to that amount of liquid..

Have in mind.... that dye.. could take a decay tick.. and you can not seal such container... if you don't move everything into smaller seal-able containers.

If you want huge amount of given dye... you should work on it .. at once.. otherwise... you get into the almost impossible task to even the rgb numbers... at low ql that is probably really easy.. if QL of material is bsb'd and you always get capped ql dye.. but for better colors.... or shades/mixes...... that's where you'll have to spend a lot of time and materials...

Your cheapest/fastest/smartest solution is to start with a huge container.

I never paint a building unless I have first made a barrel holding the total amount of dye needed. It's the only way you can get the color to match exactly. Luckily houses don't require all that much dye.

You shouldn't need a "huge" barrel (especially as a "newer" albeit returning player) but you may need at least one full small barrel. That will cover a total of 45 walls or a house about 7 x 6, which is pretty big for a newer player (about 68 Carp needed) .  A large barrel will cover something like 250 walls (15 x 16 house or so), which I think may be beyond even a 99 skilled carp? Unless maybe it is mult storey.   Only an extremely  high skilled carpenter building an extremely high mammoth tower is likely to actually need a "huge" container (2,250 walls). House walls just do not use that much dye per wall.   By the time you are actually skilled enough to be making gigantic structures, the effort of making up "huge" containers of dye shouldn't be that much work (in Wurm terms).

At the very least, make sure you do all of the walls on the same side from the same barrel; very minor color differences are much less noticeable on different sides or even on different storeys  since changes in lighting etc will always make different sides/stories look slightly different anyway. Your eye won't really notice minor shading difference on different sides. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

oh, ok thx.

well it is not about a house, it is about a project in WU of living underground where the attempt would be making a pseudo reinforced cave wall utilizing house walls. But the stone house structures to not very well match the color of the regular cave walls, so the only way to do that would be colorizing those walls. but this would definately need making color multiple times.

I think I make a suggestion about colors.

If you have lots of mats ,say x500 55ql cochineal's or x500 80 ql woads and x500 70 ql copper lumps if you have the same ql bulk mats like this  then you can make the same dye you will need starting with a good ql black say 10,10,10   as long as you have heaps of mats of same ql when you add to the black you will get same result 100%

And it's best to do this with 1kg worth of dye then add the finished product into a bigger storage  barrel  and the higher values you want the higher ql mats you will need to raise the 10,10,10  ,and if you want to raise just a little,then use lesser ql mats .

Edited by Toecutter

The rendered walls show the colours well.  Also, if it's in WU, I think you can use the GM tools to set the colour directly, or you could mod it to make walls need a lot less paint.

And agree with the above - mix all the dye you need first, before you start painting, or you'll have slight differences that drive you mad.