Sign in to follow this  
Adambean

Many action sounds (sawing, paving, etc) do not happen because of action time multipliers

This is more of a suggestion than a question/complaint...

Currently the majority of servers seem to use 4x action speed. This has an unfortunate side effect of many action sounds, such as sawing, paving, and improving, not playing at all because the actions don't last long enough. I guess the game client has a threshold in which "the sound starts after X seconds into the action", but is never reached.

The result of this is that I can saw 100 logs into planks literally in silence. -- Wurm has some nice action sounds, and I like hearing them while working on things.

It would be splendid if the action sound threshold could take into account the action timer, even if this means exposing the action time multiplier to clients, so that if the setting is on 4.0 (4x) then the sound threshold should be divided by 4. (Not an exploit risk, most servers advertise this in their name.) This would be formulated as simply as `AST x (1 / ATM)`, AST being the action sound threshold, and ATM being the action time multiplier.

Edited by Adambean
  • Like 1

I do remember this issue happening back in my WO days (7 years ago) but was considerably rarer as the actions on WO take 4 times longer than most WU servers do by default. The sound starting 25% to 30% into the action on WO isn't ideal but still works fine much of the time, whereas on WU the action would already be completed before this point.

"The sound starting 25% to 30% into the action on WO isn't ideal but still works fine much of the time"

in wo, until you get a high skilled toon with high qlty mats and tools with high enchants,

then it gets in to the wu territory of ridiculousness, which is why i made my post all those years ago,

and they have still not done anything about it.

"whereas on WU the action would already be completed before this point"

exactly, if the sound started on time you would then hear it, right?

Ah I never really got far enough in WO for action times to drop much. Back then the freedom cluster had only 4 servers, and I made the mistake of starting on Chaos at Hunter's Lodge.

That actually sounds like an unfair exploit/advantage to experienced players, being able to work in silence and hear of any impending danger.

Edited by Adambean