Sign in to follow this  
PWreset

Real cave living pls?

Well as amazing as the current cave dwelling is, there is one thing I miss.

Living in a cave. Currently we have: housing underground. Actually, we can live in a cave, but it lacks a few benfits, like decay and sleep bonus, and the most important: proper doors.

But I think it wouldn't require much giving us actual living in caves.

Please Add a kind of door that we can add into an open cave tile and a wider door for a 2 wide one cave tile, similar to the two 2wide house door. Either we can add that just like minedoors but underground, or it needs a building plans regular border.  Doors of these walls should also have the cave wall skin by default and could also change appearence via clad to whatever material one chooses..

Please let reinforced cavewalls and clad walls count as a finsihed building wall in case of cave living, so that an encased cave with a proper door, when all walls are reinforced, count as a house. There is already an reinforced and probably clad wall, it makes not that much sense that cave housing would require a real wall next to a pretty fine wall. Except you have a fetish for walls and want to live doublewalled :P

This would really be nice actualy living in a cave being walled by the cave walls and not having a seperate house with extra walls underground.  And some seperate doors pls there is curetnly no texture fitting the natural cave walls. Because even if One would choose to not get the house undergrounds boni, they still have no visual fitting door. The closest would be rendered walsl, yet they are pretty off visual wise..

This would work if we were able to have guaranteed way to stop caves from collapsing. As things stand, reinforced tiles off or on deed still collapse, unless protected with catseyes which in turn stops us from placing any kind of doors and has other limitations (slope, removing the paving and so on). 

Good idea but imagine living in such cave (i totally would!) just to log on to your LMC full of cotton being destroyed by a tile collapsing.

Well isn't it said that a tile to collapse needs an unreinforced cave wall? so technially it couldn't collapse.

Further we would still need a building layout to plant, so there is a structure (which iirc stops the chance to collapse), the only difference to underground housing is that a reinforced cavewall now does the job that the regular house wall did. 

or do I remember cave-in conditions incorrectly?

Edited by PWreset

43 minutes ago, PWreset said:

Well isn't it said that a tile to collapse needs an unreinforced cave wall? so technially it couldn't collapse.

Further we would still need a building layout to plant, so there is a structure (which iirc stops the chance to collapse), the only difference to underground housing is that a reinforced cavewall now does the job that the regular house wall did. 

or do I remember cave-in conditions incorrectly?

Even in ideal circumstances there is a chance for a tile to collapse and destroy anything on it.

Quite small chance to be honest if thats the case, i have been living in a massive cave system for couple of years now, not a single tile has collapsed. Off deed, quite often something has collapsed, but not on deed, although there is every tile reinforced.

but yeah.. i want the cave feel a bit more alive.

Sleep bonus and decay prevention work fine underground; why wouldn't they?

21 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

Sleep bonus and decay prevention work fine underground; why wouldn't they?

A bed in a cave works? afaik beds require a house. And I cannot find any information sayign anything else.

A house is granting some additional decay prevention, that should be more than the cave or isn't it? I have here, also not found any information about this not applying anymore when building in a cave. 

If you build a house in a cave, you can use a bed for sleep bonus. A house doesn't actually require floors or a roof, so on a deed you could just build the walls along the naturally existing cave walls.

• Like 1

but then we have exactly what I talk about living in a cave, it's not working.

He doesn't want to build a house... requires changes.. to make mined out tiles.. reinforcing and placing a minedoor to be called a proper 'home'/"house"

I say No to this suggestion because we can already do all this in caves by building houses within them. Even then I sometimes do as suggested here by cladding the walls and paving the floors outside or between houses that I have built within the mine just for the esthetic (eye candy) value they add.

Also, for "doors" that grant access to the perimeter and prevent anyone from entering the deed a 1 tile house works just as well, whereas before houses came into mines we were never able to do this. All being said I am quite happy with how houses in mines enable and enhance cave living as is. Roofs being added would be great though.

=Ayes=

On 5/3/2019 at 3:56 PM, Themystrix said:

Quite small chance to be honest if thats the case, i have been living in a massive cave system for couple of years now, not a single tile has collapsed. Off deed, quite often something has collapsed, but not on deed, although there is every tile reinforced.

but yeah.. i want the cave feel a bit more alive.

It's a small chance that doesn't matter until you lose 1g+ worth of items.

6 hours ago, Delacroix said:

It's a small chance that doesn't matter until you lose 1g+ worth of items.

Wait, are you guys saying that on deed fully reinforced cave(including floor reinforcement), every single tile reinforced has a chance of collapsing? o.O That's ridiculous

Only structures underground have 0 chance of collapsing, even fully reinforced caves can collapse, though it's super rare. A couple of 1 wide tunnels in the past that i know for a fact were fully reinforced have collapsed and blocked themselves off, and when mined out the walls were already reinforced

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

Yes there is a very little chance but tiles can collapse in fully reinforced mines. In my understanding it may happen only to a tile which is adjacent to a wall and will not happen to a tile with a structure on it.

• Like 1

I have been living in a underground town for 2-3 years now,I have not seen any tile collapse on its own..also to what is lacking is none of your points imo.. it is lacking better lighting(i have mine filled with lamps but it does not do the trick still), a way to keep live stock inside and the ability to reinforce ceiling too,for better looks,those are my only complains and what has made me looking for a outside place to move.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonydowy said:

I have been living in a underground town for 2-3 years now,I have not seen any tile collapse on its own..also to what is lacking is none of your points imo.. it is lacking better lighting(i have mine filled with lamps but it does not do the trick still), a way to keep live stock inside and the ability to reinforce ceiling too,for better looks,those are my only complains and what has made me looking for a outside place to move.

yes ceiling pavements, or cladding should be a thign too, yet if you do that all, why live underground? feeling wise you end up just in something that looks exactly like a house from the inside.

Livestock inside, I don't know. Farming underground would be overkill, Good would be if we could make hay to feed livestock and hay having an ridiculous low decay, or none at all. In a dry place, hay technically never decays.  That way we could throw our naimals big piles of hay in their cages and they feed from that. At least those ones eating grass. great woudl eb mushroom farms where we could grow mushrooms on logs and/or dirt. That way we could probably also feed pigs underground.

Edited by PWreset

9 hours ago, PWreset said:

Livestock inside, I don't know. Farming underground would be overkill

I mentioned in another thread for grazing animals the ability the Enchant cave floor tiles as follows:

Reinforce floor

"Prepare" floor with 1 dirt

Plant grass/flowers

Enchant grass

Another useful ability for the Path of Love but in caves too!

=Ayes=

16 hours ago, Ayes said:

I mentioned in another thread for grazing animals the ability the Enchant cave floor tiles as follows:

Reinforce floor

"Prepare" floor with 1 dirt

Plant grass/flowers

Enchant grass

Another useful ability for the Path of Love but in caves too!

=Ayes=

Oh god, I don't feel like that should happen, sorry but when will we see entire green lawns underground then? that feels a bit too off from what Wurm tries to be. Doesn't it?

However, an enchanted feeding trough then would be a better fitting Item. Not only would it give us proper ways to feed Lifestock like on enchanted grass underground, it would also grant us the ability to create staples and barn staples without needing grass on the ground. That wouldn't make the Wurm would go too crazy.

• Like 1

Collapses in reinforced spaces are not super rare thanks to the multiple server restarts due to not sufficiently testing updates.  Every server restart causes collapses throughout Wurm, something that should be removed from the code with more people living in caves now.