Sign in to follow this  
Verotika

Traveler's Compilation Thread for Player-made maps

It would be very nice to have a single forum thread with a searchable title that includes links to all servers' player-made maps for traveling (the ones that have roads + deed names). When I am traveling across servers, sometimes it is a journey to Google individual server's Community Maps. Xanadu's is very easy to find, but it took me about 4 or 5 times to find a good Indy one, and it is a bit dated, even.

What do you think?

34 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Hmm the ones in Wurmpedia don;t do this?

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Astronomy_and_geography#Freedom_Cluster_Travel_Map

(they include Community Player Maps as well as official map dumps)

To find this link easily, just go to front page of Wurmpedia and look for the "MAPS" icon

I was actually using that. And went to the first few links. But they weren't what I wanted and I then googled more and found a 2017 one i liked. Idk why, maybe the one I found is on that link, but why not the most relevant at the top? I will review further.

Yeah, just checked. The top link is the map dump thread. I like the map dumps, but when I'm exploring for a purpose (trading for example) I want the player-made one within my reach without having to create a bookmark folder in a specific browser for a specific Google user that has all servers. That first link in that thread doesn't take me where I want.

I'm hoping for one link to a list of all current, player-made maps, of each server, with dead names. ---Well. The most recently updated ones. I fully understand that they are volunteer basis.

Edited by Verotika

34 minutes ago, AlmostSolitude2 said:

Celebration:  

Hide contents

Celebrationmap.png?dl=0

Deliverance: 

Exodus:  

Reveal hidden contents

Independence: 

Pristine: 

Reveal hidden contents

Release:  

Reveal hidden contents

release%20map.png?dl=0

Xanadu: 

Reveal hidden contents

This is very nice. Thank you for that compilation.  However, you just posted it here and it is not in it's own "starred topic." Do we have one? And it is updated regularly? Is there a specific topic in the forums that has this for random explorers?

29 minutes ago, Verotika said:

I'm hoping for one link to a list of all current, player-made maps, of each server, with dead names. ---Well. The most recently updated ones. I fully understand that they are volunteer basis.

They are on that list, just look for the word COMMUNITY MAP under each server name, or click on 

(Well, dated like Feb 2019, March 2019,  etc,  are those the ones that are too old? The "Forum Link" link gives the very very  newest)

EDIT:  The community map is always the SECOND LINK after the server name (official code club map dump is always the first). Don't click on the ones marked "OLD" or you get old ones!

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Just now, Brash_Endeavors said:

They are on that list, just look for the word COMMUNITY MAP under each server name

However, do I need to navigate to each server thread individually? Do they label each "Community Map" on a consistent Naming Scheme?

What I was proposing was One Thread to rule them all. Rather than navigating to each server thread. If there is one, that is all I was asking. If there isn't, I propose there be one :)

But then someone has to update that thread for you every time each community map maker does an update?

Or are you volunteering?

I currently have 15 tabs open in my browser for trying to find the best Indy community map. I did find it in less than 5 minutes. What would be nice however, is for all servers' "Community Maps" to be accessible in one thread (Google-"able").  Xanadu is googled on the first try. And I know how to find Release's. However, Indy's naming convention isn't the same, and all I found was old maps. That is my proposal.

8 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

But then someone has to update that thread for you every time each community map maker does an update?

Or are you volunteering?

It's not for me specifically. It is for the community. And it could be editable (I wonder if it can be?) by more than one? Idk. Maybe someone could be responsible for it. I'll volunteer - as it only involves receiving links from each servers's map admin. I literally sit at work and read the forums for 8 hrs all day (server admin..fun).  My thread was asking if there was one I was missing, and if not, there should be.

Edited by Verotika
can't type

11 minutes ago, Verotika said:

What I was proposing was One Thread to rule them all. Rather than navigating to each server thread. If there is one, that is all I was asking. If there isn't, I propose there be one :)

I didn't mean there shouldn't be individual server threads. There def should be. However, I am proposing a mass-updated thread for all servers. We like to cross back and forth, right? For exploring or trading purposes? Well, it would rly be nice to have all servers' comm maps that are not map dumps, but "deed dumps" - i.e. updated by players, to be in one thread so we aren't 50-tabbing.

10 minutes ago, Verotika said:

I currently have 15 tabs open in my browser for trying to find the best Indy community map 

That's odd because I clicked on the one in the Wurmpedia thread, it is dated 4-14-2019, which seems very recent to me.

But if you are willing to spearhead something like that, I am sure there might be someone who uses it (I still find Wurmpedia's MAP icon the easiest and fastest lookup)

Go For It!!  :D

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

That's odd because I clicked on the one in the Wurmpedia thread, it is dated 4-14-2019, which seems very recent to me.

But if you are willing to spearhead something like that, I am sure there might be someone who uses it (I still find Wurmpedia's MAP icon the easiest and fastest lookup)

I'll check it further, thanks. --edit: that is the one I ended up using, but I think I found an older link via my Googling. Strange. I believe mine was 2017.

Edited by Verotika

There should be a sticky'ed thread in each server sub-forum with the current community-maintained map for that server, and people generally post the link in the first post.  However, if you'd like to create (and maintain) a thread in the community assistance section with links to all the maps (and their associated threads), go for it, and I'll sticky it.

• Like 1

I appreciate your help Brash, and will review what you recommended.

Sure thing Panda. What I was hoping for was a compilation of those "starred" threads for "Community Map." for each server. Not every server has it at the top like Xan or Release does, and named "Community Map." Thank you all for your help. I'll think about and perhaps make one. Would be a handy tool when you randomly cross servers and need deed-name reference.

Edited by Verotika
can't type again