Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Devlog thread closed?

please close this thread i cant sleep at night knowing people are posting stuff that i cant not read

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Madnath said:

I've not been on the test server but I think it's a fairly simple answer. I'm assuming you don't need premium on the test server, and if there was no rule of not being allowed to live on the test server, why would we all pay to play the regular servers when we could just live on the test server? 

Simply wipe the test server every 90 days, or perhaps every six months, or just at erratic, unannounced intervals. Non existent problem is solved. 

It actually would not be a bad thing at all if a few players who cannot afford a subscription, actually DID live on the server and provide free year round quality control feedback.

I hardly think the entire playerbase would quit the live servers to  instead play on Test, especially when WU already does the same thing at a reasonable cost and more stability. 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

I'm more bothered by the fact that Retro doesn't seem to care that you are actually banned from the test server

Going back to the original topic (rearranges rails) I still don't see a good reason why half the threads that get locked here by staff get locked, when there is no violation of forum or game rules occuring. They get locked because its a "harsh topic" or "everything that had to be said has been." Personally I think those are weak ressons to lock a thread and are some form of censorship when someone decides they don't like the topic. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, atazs said:

I'm more bothered by the fact that Retro doesn't seem to care that you are actually banned from the test server

No one is banned on the test server. 

In the past it was a guideline that no one was allowed to spend their day to day playing on the test server due to the fact it wasnt built with playability in mind, the test servers do not have the hardware that the live servers have so increasing that could cause issues. 

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the person is in good standing, and doesnt go disrupting the devs/GM's in their work, playing on the test server is fine. 

That may change if it proves to be causing issues, just as a disclaimer. 

9 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Going back to the original topic (rearranges rails) I still don't see a good reason why half the threads that get locked here by staff get locked, when there is no violation of forum or game rules occuring. They get locked because its a "harsh topic" or "everything that had to be said has been." Personally I think those are weak ressons to lock a thread and are some form of censorship when someone decides they don't like the topic. 

It's more the fact the topic in itself has been answered, and over the past 7 pages has wound up completely off topic, there's plenty of places to talk about everything else, otherwise why have anything but one thread for the entire forums? 

This is nothing to do with censorship, more that the topic in itself is done, and there's nothing but discussion outside the original topic.

9 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

No one is banned on the test server. 

In the past it was a guideline that no one was allowed to spend their day to day playing on the test server due to the fact it wasnt built with playability in mind, the test servers do not have the hardware that the live servers have so increasing that could cause issues. 

As far as I'm concerned, as long as the person is in good standing, and doesnt go disrupting the devs/GM's in their work, playing on the test server is fine. 

That may change if it proves to be causing issues, just as a disclaimer. 

It's more the fact the topic in itself has been answered, and over the past 7 pages has wound up completely off topic, there's plenty of places to talk about everything else, otherwise why have anything but one thread for the entire forums? 

This is nothing to do with censorship, more that the topic in itself is done, and there's nothing but discussion outside the original topic.

Where i should ask you or the devs about the possibility of doing servers in blocks? or have the stuff inside houses load only if player goes to near window or opens door.... i did ask this in valrei int. as well. seems it never is in right place to ask stuff.

3 minutes ago, Themystrix said:

Where i should ask you or the devs about the possibility of doing servers in blocks? or have the stuff inside houses load only if player goes to near window or opens door.... i did ask this in valrei int. as well. seems it never is in right place to ask stuff.

It's not really something that would change much, the server isnt forced to check everything, but simply checks and compares it to the last time it was checked.

If it was something that was feasible we'd have done it already 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

It's not really something that would change much, the server isnt forced to check everything, but simply checks and compares it to the last time it was checked.

If it was something that was feasible we'd have done it already 

Thanks for replying, much appreciated, even if it is stupid question like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

That's actually textbook censorship. There is nothing wrong with a topic or discussion turning into something else: thats the way human interaction works. When you start dictating people what they are allowed or not to discuss, you are censoring them. Maybe you dont like the term itself, but thats what its called. Unless the post break the rules, or turns into a spiteful back and forth between players that requires moderation, there should be no reason why polite discourse should be stopped. That's censorship, and its a dirty thing to do.

• Like 2

why arn't capes just craftable? since when was this runescape.... just a thought

i like how the dev team follows the same "lets implement this change and hope someone finds it" routine. It's almost as if your following rolf's guidelines or something.. it was something that he enjoyed and thought we all enjoyed (not speaking for everyone... but alot of people like simple dot points that display whats new... and thats it! (and i mean whats new, no hidden content, no "lol i left this out hope someone finds it", just 100% this is new and this is how to get it))

The only time this was fine was with the cooking update... that actually made sense and allowed for the few to stamp their names on recipes as the "first"

• Like 1

You have the perfect blueprint and most of the tools already in use to make a proper testing environment. 

1. Improve the server to handle players there all the time for official testing and their own personal testing.  
  2. Implement a testing journal that honestly, clearly, and thoroughly documents the changes and what should be tested.  Journal pages will indicate the rewards you can receive on the production server for completing them.  Bugs found outside of the journal will possibly give better rewards or titles to encourage creativity.
  3. Rinse and repeat for each and every patch, no matter how large or small.
  4. Join the 21st century standard of game testing and production.
Edited by madnezz
  • Like 2

It's just a single cape, a reward for finishing the journal. There'll definitely be more capes in the future and we'll announce how you can get them, but I don't see how it's so critical to announce this single vanity item that's just a reward at the end of a goal. It's not exactly hidden either.

• Like 3

We know you don't see the importance, that is why this thread exists, to illustrate the importance.  Players have been waiting for capes and shoulder pads ever since the slots for them appeared on the paperdolls.  It might not be critical to you but it is a very long desired feature by wurm faithful and a standard piece of armor in most games within the genre.   Capes can be both aesthetically pleasing and add functionality as you will hopefully add abilities, similar but not the same as shoulder pads, to them in the future.

Edited by madnezz

The thread seems to have derailed to the point nothing constructive is now being added, Both sides have had a chance to respond to the original issue. But now the thread has devolved into more staff bashing than anything positive being added.

For that reason thread locked.

Regards

Shakys (Forum Moderator)

• Like 2