Sign in to follow this  
Angelklaine

Devlog thread closed?

Finally a thread is posted by the Head Developer where a healthy discussion ensues about the future of the game. For some reason it is then locked.

I don't mean to be rude here, but why is healthy discussion stiffled by staff when it seems to go in a direction you don't like? I can understand if people are being noxious, there's personal attacks, or a violation of the forum/game rules. But none of that happened there. 

You have a community hungry for information and updates and promising changes, and instead you tell us we're not supposed to ask? Why? Why can't we have a discussion about the game we want to play and we all love? Why can't you listen to your community (the good and the bad) and get an idea of what we want?

Not even a page and it got locked. 

• Like 9

I thought the same thing when I saw it was locked...  Makes me sad, but probably going to let my sub lapse till I'm excited about the future again.

• Like 2

The thread was closed because I saw zero chance of it staying on topic. 

The thread was not for discussion of a roadmap or testing, nor about what we are working on. It was about our changes to mean updates will occur once a month with larger updates planned for every few months. We stated our reasons behind not sharing information of features not even in development and at this point we're not looking to use that thread to discuss things outside of that. 

The new update cycle should give us better time frames to provide information as well as dev streams going over them so expect to see more information via that 

noun
noun: update; plural noun: updates
/ˈəpˌdāt/
  1. 1.
    an act of bringing something or someone up to date, or an updated version of something.

Let's hope we don't have to wait 30 days every time someone finds a bug...because a patch/fix would definitely fall under the definition of an update.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nomadikhan said:
noun
noun: update; plural noun: updates
/ˈəpˌdāt/
  1. 1.
    an act of bringing something or someone up to date, or an updated version of something.

Let's hope we don't have to wait 30 days every time someone finds a bug...because a patch/fix would definitely fall under the definition of an update.

We discussed this possibility, and in the original thread allowed for the fact we may need to do bug fixes or hot fixes sooner than our planned update schedule if the severity is high enough. 

What it does mean though is it gives us more time to fix more bugs and work on a consistent window, meaning after each update we can work on what the next one will have because we have a clear deadline code freeze 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

The thread was not for discussion of a roadmap or testing, nor about what we are working on. It was about our changes to mean updates will occur once a month with larger updates planned for every few months. We stated our reasons behind not sharing information of features not even in development and at this point we're not looking to use that thread to discuss things outside of that. 

The new update cycle should give us better time frames to provide information as well as dev streams going over them so expect to see more information via that 

Imagine you walking into a McDonalds and asking the guy behind the counter for a burger without pickles or mustard. To which he responds: "No sir, burgers are intended to have those things so you have to eat them that way." I am pretty sure an attitude like that would run a company like McDonalds into the ground.

One thing you have never seen to grasp is the concept of how customer service works. You listen to customer feedback and then you decide if its feasible/profitable/viable and act accordingly. You don't silence your customer before he speaks because "you don't see his comment staying on topic."

I love this game. I love our community. I love the dev team and the rest of Wurm Staff. But I hate how you guys handle player feedback. If you don't like what people say you silence them. That's extremely frustrating for people like me who love this game and would like to chime in with our opinions.

I am not saying you have to agree with players, answer them, get into a back and forth or even provide them with what they want (altho giving your customer what they want is generally a good business practice), but neither should you censor them. Let the thread go on, let people post their opinions, bring forth their grievances, criticize and share their feelings. Then you can come back later, read it, and take what you want from it. 

You provide a live service, and with it comes a community. A community will be harsh and loving at the same time. It all comes with the territory. The whole "we are a very small dev team" excuse is not acceptable. Hire more! I am sure there is no end of qualified volunteers that will help for free with whatever needs helping, even with community management.

Don't censor and ignore your player base. Its insulting.

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Retrograde said:

my only question is: you've been kind of leading us along for some time now with changes to epic as a possibility ( I don't mean this in a negative way, its just a fact) and is the new "system of not telling anything coming forward" going to just, keep delaying the delay

recently I asked in discord if we're EVER going to get any information on it, and you responded as soon as the movement code is fixed you're going to be giving us some information on it (loose quote)

so, what gives. do we play there? do we prep stuff there? is it worth building anything? is it worth playing there at all?

epic is a place with a lot of history for quite a few of us that still play this game and we wonder where our home is going, or isn't.

I really want to be able to play both clusters seamlessly, why isn't there some sort of way to allow for proper ratio of skill/stat gain to be translated into freedom skills

thanks

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 8

10 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

You provide a live service, and with it comes a community. A community will be harsh and loving at the same time. It all comes with the territory. The whole "we are a very small dev team" excuse is not acceptable. Hire more! I am sure there is no end of qualified volunteers that will help for free with whatever needs helping, even with community management.

Don't censor and ignore your player base. Its insulting.

This.

Edited by necroe
  • Like 3

Rolf can always hire full time payed developer for few months to do some minor changes in pvp and fix some bugs.

Then introduce new map, in place of Elevation, and it doesn't matter if it would be succesfull or not, couse first initial months population spike should easily cover developer payment (people gonna setup new deeds, hire guards, set up traders, prem up mains and alts etc etc).

There is not much to risk, and even if it goes bad, and bring little loss, there still will be gain in form of some mechanics changed or bugs repaired.

I asked a question in the original post, i got my answer and was ready to move on with "ok, so it's not going to happen, fine. There is nothing i can do about it but i got a concise and prompt response to the question i asked, even if disappointing."

If i posted the same question as a standalone post, it would be another one to die in the endless pit of the forums and the subject of internal dev process changes seemed appropriate place to ask this exact question. If development cycle and development process changes are not on the same topic then i have a feeling that only acceptable responses to it would be ones including quotes from the original post. Anything else is off-topic.

I had a feeling that more players would be interested in the same but didn't expect it to be handled the way it was done.

Subject which came up in the original post before i got a chance to reply:

As for testing, we (at work) do regression testing for every release which means that if i'm going to touch a piece of code responsible for creature movement, i'm still going to check if deed permissions didn't get messed up and if boats don't sail upside-down.

Script based testing might seem like a chore and a pain in the neck but it has saved me a lot of stress and hotfixes. This is what structured companies do, this is what was established not by me or my colleagues but by tens of years of industry experience as a whole. It's all well documented and not that hard to incorporate in to existing process. It also almost guarantees bug-free releases.

• Like 2

There has been a growing trend over the years with the wurm staff it seems a bad one less and less information is given out everyone is being more vague people constantly using the excuse of "we are but a small team we cant get things done on time" yet you turn away potentially good developers you dont give people the chance to proof what they say they are worth

The staff team itself is getting more and more intertwined instead of having clear roles being assigned
This might be harsh but a project managers job is to make sure that projects that are ongoing get done in time and if that deadline isnt reached figure out why that deadline isnt reached and find a solution to it so who ever is in that position needs to put their foot down and get that straightened out as any project small or large short or long term needs a good manager to keep the ball rolling
The team promised transparency after the community got angry from the way certain things where handled and soon after we get a lost and attitude of "we wont share info as it might make us look bad" it already is making you look bad the frustration with players is rising
People are leaving due to any number of reasons but 2 big ones is lack of knowledge of the way forward(when is new content being added what type of things might we see in the coming year(not when but what)) and the good old "wurm is dead we are just enjoying its rotting casket" which is something that gets brought up by a lot of long time players who have seen and been there for its decline
We dont expect 100% perfection from you guys what we want is a loose road map(no dates just possible ideas) with nothing set in stone we want to see that the money we pay in subscription cost goes towards development and not just 10% server cost and 90% lost
We would love to see the public relations people bring the "social media" vibe to well social media no sticking to just twitch but spread to youtube to twitter to facebook create content share user created places(deed of the month for example) bring life to wurm's social media accounts and the playerbase will grow(without a single penny of investment into ads)
There are so many small things that we the players see that make us want to pull our hair out that the team just seems oblivious to and its sad like the devlog example of "oh go help this person on the test server then if you want to know what goes onto there" well how about it is actually made player testing friendly so that no gm input is required as suggested there 8 hours of waiting for a gm to respond is no good
Or maybe the bashing on the game that people in positions of power do on other platforms when new players are showing interest(be it joking or not) it has to stop a first impression is everything and social media is the way to go so when your little bit of effort to be on social media involves bashing your own game there is something wrong

We dont want this game to die it is one of a kind and honestly if a game came around that had the features wurm did without the restrictions that other games put in(life is feudal's skill system prime example) this game would bleed to death in no time and we say this every time a game similar to wurm comes out and it keeps happening players leave but never enough in 1 go to make a serious dent
But really we want this game to thrive and grow not shrink and die and right now the staff seem to be sticking to what appears to be set in stone the old way of doing things the way they once where 10 years ago and so on and well honestly that doesnt work anymore these days
In the age of instant gratification and social media being the way to grow your image( "A single decent looking girl can reach a following of 1 million+ people if she plays her cards right why cant you?" quote comes to mind) and companies being burned at the stake for ###### reasons(Lies/micro transactions/unfinished games/bugs/on purpose nerfs to sell mtx and so on and on) why not learn from their lessons and be more open make a list of content that is being worked on and a list of possible upcoming content and make it clear none of it is set in stone and no release dates will be given

Just give more information be more open share more details and let the community help you to become better and grow more we want to help you guys we know you are struggling and trying to figure things out and screwing up along the way but we still stand by you even when you annoy us to no end we still want to watch you guys grow to become more so let us help you take in our advice talk to us discuss things with us accept our help when someone comes along who can help out on a certain area

Dont shut us out like you guys seem to love doing from time to time accept us instead we are what makes you be able to do what you do so use us and our knowledge and experience and excitement and thrive to make sure that you can do a better job then without us

Edited by wipeout
  • Like 7

What drives me insane is the way the dev blog was handled. This is what I got.from it:

"Since we have better things to do, I am changing the update cycle to once a month. Sorry we can't tell you why or what we are doing but rest assured we are putting Wurm Online in maintenance mode for a very long time. We'll make sure to occasionally address bugs as we find the time for it "

I realize thats not what Budda said, but the writing is in the wall. Recent updates have been lackluster and now the dev team needs more time to release lackluster updates? Since nothing is brought forward and teased, what are we supposed to think? "Trust us! Good things are coming!" doesn't cut it when the team has such a poor track record. 

I am very worried and disappointed at this because there is nothing to look forward to. There is no content in the future other than different colored dogs and shiny armor. And now the dev team is pushing releases forward to longer periods of time without letting us know what to anticipate.

We are getting the stick and not the carrot. Why should we even bother?

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Wilczan said:

Rolf can always hire full time payed developer for few months to do some minor changes in pvp and fix some bugs. 

bad idea, bugs reported and not fixed could benefit the kingdom of the pvp-dev

• Like 1

Years and years ago, bugs took way too long to get fixed if they did get fixed and many players lost interest in the game due to lack of dev care.  As time went on, this problem was addressed better and better and better, and bugs were starting to get fixed right away more and more.  Now we want to start making it worse again?

Don't get me wrong, I've seen behind the scenes first hand in my years as a GM doing QA, I know how small the dev team is and who's actually doing anything so I'm aware not everything can and will get fixed right away.  But if there is an actual fix tested and ready to go live, why on earth wait up to a month to push it live if it isn't "severe" enough??  Who judges what is severe and what isn't?  What are the parameters of severity to make it worth a faster update? I don't get this need of holding out great periods of length either for any form of updates to meet some schedule or whatever, and I've already heard the excuse that it's easier to track where things went wrong, but giving us things as time goes on gives us new things to play with and makes giant updates less overwhelming to the people that play the game.  Many bits of the priest overhaul could have came out over time instead of waiting forever and a half, little stuff like the extra gather skill each priest template gains, or random spell tweaks, and so forth, it improves the game without keeping us in limbo waiting for the massive update.  Take the cooking update too, we could have had time beforehand to gather all the new items and stock up on them so when the core part of it came out, we were ready to dive into it rather than focus on getting stuff to begin with, along with being overwhelmed by an incredibly complex system.  It only makes it better for the players, and I don't understand the changes in mentality that acts like we have players to lose.  First the mentality that we should go back towards mysterious patch notes so players can "explore", and now this.

If the amount of active devs is an issue, then put up a thread asking for volunteers to apply.  I doubt it's really that hard to grab a handful of applicants if they apply and the only issue is the concern of biased pvp devs which I'm sure can easily be figured out as it's not a new concern with hiring devs or staff.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Retrograde said:

The thread was not for discussion of a roadmap or testing, nor about what we are working on.

I did let out a *heh* to myself when I saw that thread closed. If it was not for discussion of the topic it should have never allowed comments within it in the first place. There is your mistake, which now leads to this thread of complaint about it.

I would have been just as satisfied if it were a informative Dev Blog post with no comments allowed. More so actually since I wouldn't have then been exposed to the comments of all the nay-sayers and those who knew better ways of doing everything.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
guess
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

I am very worried and disappointed at this because there is nothing to look forward to. There is no content in the future other than different colored dogs and shiny armor. And now the dev team is pushing releases forward to longer periods of time without letting us know what to anticipate.

We're actually in the process of beginning a several month long cycle to ensure that when updates do come out, they aren't lackluster. 

Recent updates being lackluster is the very point of this, trickle fed information and content leads to it feeling a bit bland. We aim to resolve this by spending a little bit more time between updates and ensuring that when we do update, it's something that's a bit bigger. 

It's not maintenance mode by far, it's just that we're at the start of this new endeavour and have no code currently committed towards it. In order for us to be talking about what we're working on, we'd like code committed and a rough outline to be available. 

I can say that we are looking at expanding mid to end game content as well as polishing some existing areas. I'd love to say what it is right now, but until the devs are confident it's well on it's way to coming out, and I don't disagree. 

History has shown us that announcing projects too early creates far too much frustration, bridges took almost a year, and recently animal cages were a point of contention for them not coming out soon after their announcement. 

We aim to provide less pie in the sky ideas, and more concrete "this is coming, this is when, this is what to expect" via more in-depth news prior to launch and devstreams focused on showcasing the new content. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

We're actually in the process of beginning a several month long cycle to ensure that when updates do come out, they aren't lackluster. 

Recent updates being lackluster is the very point of this, trickle fed information and content leads to it feeling a bit bland. We aim to resolve this by spending a little bit more time between updates and ensuring that when we do update, it's something that's a bit bigger. 

It's not maintenance mode by far, it's just that we're at the start of this new endeavour and have no code currently committed towards it. In order for us to be talking about what we're working on, we'd like code committed and a rough outline to be available. 

I can say that we are looking at expanding mid to end game content as well as polishing some existing areas. I'd love to say what it is right now, but until the devs are confident it's well on it's way to coming out, and I don't disagree. 

History has shown us that announcing projects too early creates far too much frustration, bridges took almost a year, and recently animal cages were a point of contention for them not coming out soon after their announcement. 

We aim to provide less pie in the sky ideas, and more concrete "this is coming, this is when, this is what to expect" via more in-depth news prior to launch and devstreams focused on showcasing the new content. 

Why not just give a roadmap for 2019 through 2020 on content we can expect, and content we might try to implement but no promises?

Having your customers in the dark even not intentionally kind of sucks and makes us revisit what were paying subscription for. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

There lies the problem. 

People will complain always. Too soon and not enough testing, or too long and its a broken promise. You will never please anyone. So you decide to keep your cards close to your chest and not release anything so people don't judge you.

But they will judge you anyways because when you don't give people anything they speculate. And you can't speculate about code, so the only obvious result is that nothing is being done. The result is that people vote with their feet and go elsewhere.

You can't afford to keep your community in the dark. How long has WoW Classic been announced for? People are frothing at the mouth for a long time now. That expectation is what gives your members the patience they need to stay. Sure, people complained for the long wait for bridges and animal cages, but they stuck around, because is what they wanted 

But the whole point of this thread is not the release schedule. Its censorship. How the staff pulls the trigger when people discuss things they don't want to hear. That's not cool. You have a dissapointed community that are trying to tell you how displeased they are with your change and you plug your ears with your fingers while screaming lalalalalalala! like a 5 year old. 

Regardless, there are 2 main things people here want: regular feature announcements and transparency. At the moment you provide neither, and we are hemorraging players as a result.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

bridges took almost a year

lol

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Niki said:

Why not just give a roadmap for 2019 through 2020 on content we can expect, and content we might try to implement but no promises?

Having your customers in the dark even not intentionally kind of sucks and makes us revisit what were paying subscription for. 

Meditation rework is still on the cards, ui overhaul is being worked on with splitting it into ux as well and releasing in parts 

We know what we want to see in but part of a roadmap is also planning it out in what stages and how we will work through it. 

We aren't censoring anything as I'm happy to discuss it in this topic, but the dev blog wasn't the place for it. 

Regular feature announcements will be a part of regular features, thus our steps towards all of this. 

This is the beginning of our journey down that road, the things you want we will be happy to give once we are set up on it, this is the first step towards providing those things. 

• Like 1

If a dev blog is not the place to discuss the blog then whats the point of having 2 of them? 1 without commenting and 1 with?

You seem to be maybe on purpose ignoring something simple? like niki suggested give a long term road map without any "q4 2019" markers on it just a list of possible features that will be released in which year we dont need a bioware road map of anthem that then gets pushed back we just want a more official listing of "here are a bunch of projects we are currently working on and they are at various stages of design and might be released within the next 2-3 years" just so that players can have a look and see "oh i like this what is coming up ill keep my eye out for it and keep playing" vs "i guess they are working on something? i cant be sure oh well hey look that other game came out lets go play that"
You dont need set dates you dont need  to be 100% correct just sharing the info is more then enough sure some will get annoyed but like was said before you will always have it and the whole "lets stay silent" approach makes people annoyed the most and the "oh this feature isnt out yet when they suggested it might come out" would be least annoying for people

Wurm staff team have a history of censoring what they don't like so its easy for people now days to jump onto that idea that its censorship as lets face it a new player is more likely to read a dev blog when checking out the game then the "general" section of the forums for a random post about a topic so to some locking things like that does come over as censorship

I for one am not opposed to the once a month release schedule vs every 2 weeks(It is a better way of doing things it gives devs more time to work on content but it does mean the devs have to step up and put wurm as a higher priority) but dont hold off on bug fixes no matter how small they are if its a bug that isnt bad but it inconveniences players leaving it in for a month while more players are affected by it will come across as "this dev team cant fix this simple bug? im scared of whats the case in the future for other content" is an idea that will sink in so sure release content once a month or less often but bugs should be pushed for updates once a week if a fix has been found and properly tested to make sure it doesnt break anything else

See the thing is we all know the game is dying slowly faster and faster(especially these last few years) a big reason is players are bored of how old the game feels and a other part is bugs and yet a other part is the stigma the team has been given by the community and it pushes players away as they dont have confidence anymore that the game will survive and they rather put their money elsewhere

We want you guys to do the best you can and make wurm be the best it can be so we worry a lot when changes like this happen when we see other dev companies doing it and going under and then seeing the similarities

As im told my posts tend to be long here is a fun little bit

Now check your combat log and you will see the message
Wall of text crits you for 100000 damage and you die

• Like 1

If I had a choice between being completely in the dark and having NO idea what the future holds, and having a clue what the devs are working on, even if there is no timetable..... it legitimizes the time I continue to spend playing the game to know what is being worked on.

For a guy who is PAID to keep people playing this game, I cannot believe you are having to be reminded of this @Retrograde.  Whether we agree or disagree about the changes that the devs are making, the fact that we are here, in this very thread talking about it, should show you how much people care about this game.

• Like 10

Golden Mirrors? Why something so simple to implement isn't out yet?

This is why I grow frustrated. Simple things that should by all rights be in the game such as Mirrors and Golden Mirrors added to the trader are not in yet. People have been clamoring for this for years now and its been about 2 years since Golden Mirrors were hinted at by the devs. There is no way you can tell me that its taken you this long to iron this feature out. No, the most likely reason is it was pushed to the side and forgotten like so many other good ideas. 

The above is a rhetorical question you don't need to answer. I know why is not out yet, so I dont need a long winded explanation that there is some other feature that will be released first that is holding it back. That is not my point.

My point is that there IS a poor track record of development with the current team. Before we'd be extremely lucky if we saw anything significant released once a year. Then Sindusk was hired and in 6 months the dev team had multiple big releases and significant changes that hugely improved the quality of the game. Then he left and now we're back to different colored horses and pretty visuals (which are nice, don't get me wrong, but are not significant in keeping people interested.) and a dev blog saying they need more time between releases. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The playerbase wants nice things or the promise of nice things. We don't want a game in maintenance mode. You keep saying the game isn't in maintenance mode, but all you have to do is look at the past 3 months and realize not much significant has happened. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Golden Mirrors? Why something so simple to implement isn't out yet?

This is why I grow frustrated. Simple things that should by all rights be in the game such as Mirrors and Golden Mirrors added to the trader are not in yet. People have been clamoring for this for years now and its been about 2 years since Golden Mirrors were hinted at by the devs. There is no way you can tell me that its taken you this long to iron this feature out. No, the most likely reason is it was pushed to the side and forgotten like so many other good ideas

Again, this is why we have been tight lipped, golden mirrors are coming with a cash shop that hasn't been implemented yet. That's what it's waiting on. 

We have shared that they are coming and gave no date, because it's a small part of a much larger and more intricate project. 

The reason it has taken time is the developer in charge of it has not had the time to devote to it. 

That isn't about needing longer time between releases, that issue is why there has not been a more public roadmap with our plans and goals, being such a small team means we have to work on one project at a time. 

It's the crux of this issue, we have shared information in the past and there is justifiable disappointment it's not in the game, our fault was sharing it before it was close enough to release. We would have been much better waiting to be able to confirm the shop work was under construction and/or close to complete before sharing what will be in it. 

We plan on sharing more with future dev logs, news and devstreams because that gives us an opportunity to work through it and give more tangible things to show as opposed to trickled content making it feel like little has been done. 

This past 3 months has seen a huge amount of bug fixes as well as tweaks to everything from the 1.10 update, there has been considerable work considering only one paid developer. 

Volunteer developers are working on projects in their own time, but that means projects take longer to complete, such as creature cages and chicken coops. 

Our goal is to improve and address your issues raised, and to do so we need to start working towards it. 

We will show progress and help keep you all informed of what's going on, the argument isn't against that, it's that our focus is shifting to this development cycle is what we are working on and what's going in, once we're set up and rolling we can share more 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Again, this is why we have been tight lipped, golden mirrors are coming with a cash shop that hasn't been implemented yet. That's what it's waiting on. 

We have shared that they are coming and gave no date, because it's a small part of a much larger and more intricate project. 

The reason it has taken time is the developer in charge of it has not had the time to devote to it. 

That isn't about needing longer time between releases, that issue is why there has not been a more public roadmap with our plans and goals, being such a small team means we have to work on one project at a time. 

It's the crux of this issue, we have shared information in the past and there is justifiable disappointment it's not in the game, our fault was sharing it before it was close enough to release. We would have been much better waiting to be able to confirm the shop work was under construction and/or close to complete before sharing what will be in it. 

We plan on sharing more with future dev logs, news and devstreams because that gives us an opportunity to work through it and give more tangible things to show as opposed to trickled content making it feel like little has been done. 

This past 3 months has seen a huge amount of bug fixes as well as tweaks to everything from the 1.10 update, there has been considerable work considering only one paid developer. 

Volunteer developers are working on projects in their own time, but that means projects take longer to complete, such as creature cages and chicken coops. 

Our goal is to improve and address your issues raised, and to do so we need to start working towards it. 

We will show progress and help keep you all informed of what's going on, the argument isn't against that, it's that our focus is shifting to this development cycle is what we are working on and what's going in, once we're set up and rolling we can share more 

epic plans=?

you owe it to the community to let us know what is going to happen, you're talking countless days of investment, actual days not just "i login for 1 hour a day to afk" but 24 hour days of actual playtime over the course of who knows how long

hello

do you realize the level of commitment that a lot of people put into this game, to just be left dangling around running in circles

D82Yjfp.jpgD82Yjfp.jpgD82Yjfp.jpgD82Yjfp.jpg

Edited by platinumteef
  • Like 2