Sign in to follow this  
Killroth

Rework Journal.

Advanced Journal entries should be based on stuff everyone has to do. If you are going to force specific skills those should be a sub set of Journal entries.

Yes i think that a little dabble of everything should be in journal at the first few tiers. But you are focusing too much on a couple skills for the advanced tiers.

If that is your plan to make people focus on certain skills for journal advancement give us options to pick our direction.

There is several other issues with Journal also , like the fact that it doesnt retroactively remember what you did "make a collosus" Well if you have already made about 4 and still have to make one what is the landscape gonna be like with all the new ones.

Several of the entries are locked behind paywalls. "wear a fully enchanted scale suit" Thats fine if you go to all the public slayings for next decade.

"

Welcome to Wurm its a sandbox you can do anything you want heres a journal to help you out learning the game.

Oh cool you want to progress in your learning of wurm yeah you are going to have to fish and do archeology. Welcome to the best sandbox game there is.

Oh you want access to ingame vanity items yeah you are going to have to try out our 2 new systems if you like them or not. 

Oh you didnt like fishing for the last 7 years you played... oh you will love our new system especially after grinding up to 90 to complete journal."

• Like 5

Maybe add ability to switch journal missions for similar/close difficulty ones, kind of alternative.

You're a priest and you don't have 70 prayer skill? What else do you do around an altar?

Problem is sermons are a must... instead of giving praying alone.. to be a decent way to grind faith #maybe...

2,5% skill gain bonus at last levels is ridiculous and that 10% better chance to obtain an affinity... i mean... do we really need that when we hit the top levels already? wouldn't it be more effective on starter accounts aka a lot sooner in the journals??

i mean the hyped CAPE alone as a reward is enough there or is the devs afraid of a total flop that isn't that cool after all... Also its ridiculous that we are forced to use these so called new awesome cooking-, and fishing overhaul if we ever want to complete the journal. I think they are boring as hell and annoying, sry. Also the global cast is STILL ridiculous with this small community and once the "main core" has done it after few years, its gonna stop... there is no people to do it. Take the fine adjustment hammer and tweak it please ty.

I like the idea of journal goals, but its implemented in swedish style... backwards. greetings from finland to devs or swedish dudes who might read this, no hate :D 

22 minutes ago, Finnn said:

You're a priest and you don't have 70 prayer skill? What else do you do around an altar?

Problem is sermons are a must... instead of giving praying alone.. to be a decent way to grind faith #maybe...

Oddly enough, I had better things to do than grind a useless skill :P

The sermon one is actually quite easy, I just log my mule on and sermon.  Bam, one down.

This is the problem when you let developers 'design' games.

10 hours ago, John said:

Surely, it's supposed to be hard.

Hard is fine but forcing people to choose direction isnt what a sandbox should be about. Highlighting features of the game are great "try spearing a fish , dig up 1 or 10 caches, learn some recipes" sure. But if indepth difficulty is whats planned on journal there should be paths. (pick these skills etc)

If we are making Wurm into a adventure themepark then sure this is fine. Might wanna add some dungeons then though.

Edited by Killroth

I think calling for the journal to be reworked is totally extreme. When I was adding the journal goals you needed to hit to the wiki, I certainly had a few thoughs.

I don't agree that having the "Enchanted scale set" goal is a paywall issue. Especially when it's so easy to get around as it is. I certainly think maybe it should be kept an eye on, since I could see some issues arising with people tossing scale sets around just to do the journal goal. I don't think you should have to pay to rent the armour the same way you'd rent a high ql meditation rug, especially when you're only wearing it.

I feel like catching a 75kg fish is a very weak goal, considering no matter how you want to pull it, new fishing is unpopular. Giving it a special tutorial and trying to give it fresh exposure has not worked. It's time to admit defeat and leave it at the 25kg fish goal. Forcing us to use a very specific setup on a rare fish tile is going to amplify the distaste the change has had. Fishing has already had a turn earlier in the journal, give us something different. You have so many other things to choose from.

Closing 100 rifts is a bit of a weird goal. I think 50 is the very limit it should be. A lot of the people playing Wurm are working people, achieving this, even when going to as many rifts as possible will take a very very long time. I understand these new journal goals are meant to be a long term projects, but this goal in paticular is not similar to the others.  The rest of the goals all facilitate playing when you can, doing what you want in order to meet the requirements to finish the journal. This is forcing you to go to events held at different times on different days.

Also, the masters cape is really lacking. Please, use the same texture/colour as the dark cloth hood so we can just dye it whatever colour we want. I mean, I'm sure most people don't want to wear fancy curtains on their back. Below is the master cape texture.

Spoiler

5c07c086e57f5b2141c8b58d17b552e4.jpg

Edited by Madnath
  • Like 1

On 4/28/2019 at 8:33 PM, Madnath said:

I think calling for the journal to be reworked is totally extreme. When I was adding the journal goals you needed to hit to the wiki, I certainly had a few thoughs.

I don't agree that having the "Enchanted scale set" goal is a paywall issue. Especially when it's so easy to get around as it is. I certainly think maybe it should be kept an eye on, since I could see some issues arising with people tossing scale sets around just to do the journal goal. I don't think you should have to pay to rent the armour the same way you'd rent a high ql meditation rug, especially when you're only wearing it.

I feel like catching a 75kg fish is a very weak goal, considering no matter how you want to pull it, new fishing is unpopular. Giving it a special tutorial and trying to give it fresh exposure has not worked. It's time to admit defeat and leave it at the 25kg fish goal. Forcing us to use a very specific setup on a rare fish tile is going to amplify the distaste the change has had. Fishing has already had a turn earlier in the journal, give us something different. You have so many other things to choose from.

Closing 100 rifts is a bit of a weird goal. I think 50 is the very limit it should be. A lot of the people playing Wurm are working people, achieving this, even when going to as many rifts as possible will take a very very long time. I understand these new journal goals are meant to be a long term projects, but this goal in paticular is not similar to the others.  The rest of the goals all facilitate playing when you can, doing what you want in order to meet the requirements to finish the journal. This is forcing you to go to events held at different times on different days.

Also, the masters cape is really lacking. Please, use the same texture/colour as the dark cloth hood so we can just dye it whatever colour we want. I mean, I'm sure most people don't want to wear fancy curtains on their back. Below is the master cape texture.

Reveal hidden contents

5c07c086e57f5b2141c8b58d17b552e4.jpg

I agree with all of this. Fishing is really awful to force on people, and some of the numbers required definitely need tweaked.

That cape, though. Holy ###### that thing is a monstrosity. Absolutely hideous.

• Like 2

Lol, that carpet really has to be one of those that you hate to wear for it looking terrible, but has something special on it that you must. Otherwise its going to trash bin.

To be honest i don't see issue with those new journal goals they all seams achievable just need some work. I own my own scale set and i never payed for it with RL money. U can earn those silvers in game to get that set and let alone it's just enough to have friend with set to just put it on for moment (same for drake one). 100 rift is just long not unacceptable. and using argue that using some skills to achieve it isn't sandbox style it is u don't need to finish journal and using your suggestion almost all of journal goals could be neglected like:

i don't like to mine (so mine out 25 veins)

i don't like to build (so build 10 story building)

i don't like to fight (kill 20k creatures)

and so on u can match it to almost all achievements out there.

From priest side i still hate only Global cast one since it's still just ninja it before others.

From this side hard one could be also 10 unique kills but as for now we still have good souls up there which make them public.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christopher said:

leave the 100 rifts the cheats cant cheat haha

I've tried to figure out what you mean by this around ten times now and I'm still none the wiser.

• Like 2

I'd wager he means that most goals have a trick to them like doing it on Epic or some method to make it easier, but 100 rifts means going to 100 rifts.

• Like 1

can always get summoned to the rifts a few minutes before it ends, hit a single mob and then take as much rift mats as you possibly can ?

On 5/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, christopher said:

leave the 100 rifts the cheats cant cheat haha

It's not about cheating.. it's about happening at sane hours... when you actually have the possibility to go and participate..

Normal person with a job have a TINY amount of time after work to do anything.. at all.. and a single right can go wrong in so many ways... sure.. it could take 1hour(that rarely happens) and sure single rift could take 4hours+ depending on number of players at site and strategy or lack of such and gear.

My score is 21% I can imagine.. if I step it up.. that means I'll need at least another 2 years, probably longer.. to get magical possible times and than ofc I wont be able to take part of the events because I'll have important personal or work events on the next day or even current one..

Rifts alone are happening at random weird times most of the time.. and take so long to do.

Reworking them to be more fun and actually doable isnt that bad thing to do..

Like killing mobs faster - shorten the waves or spawn count or make them debuffed(scared) if the players are doing too well.. etc..

Thinking of a new way to spawn the event on weekends have way better QoL for the fighters and wanna-go people.. sure you cant do anything when it happens at random time 5 days of the week... but you at least have the chance to think about going to a friday/saturday rift even if it's not at so convenient time.....

I think that's normal.. and it's still not at all that perfect for people with families/kids/etc..

What I am trying to explain is.... this is like a raid... time-wise.. but... you cant even do it at the time you are able to... it just happens mostly at the most inconvenient of times..

• Like 1

But they said that journal goals aren't something we are suppose to finish now. So saying u will be able to finish it in 2 years isn't bad thing. If u wouldn't be able to finish it then it would be bad.

I personally like rifts especially those where we don't have big group then they are really fun. Big ones are boring and chaotic which takes all fun.

And since rift mechanic makes them moving with timers all the time that means that some of them will be fine for u wherever u live so u will be able to finish that goal someday.

As it is it will take years for people with jobs.. while 12year olds, etc can get it in few months.. rate is incomparable sadly.. and it's just a limitation coming from the way rifts currently work with their spawn times.

Looking at niarja, the average time for a rift is about 2 hours and 20 minutes, minimum is around an hour and a half (times that are good for US/UK timezones) and highest is 3 hours and 16 minutes (middle of night for us/uk) so the goal's difficulty varies greatly depending on what timezone you live in. When a rift is at 1am my time, due to the short time that the rifts take in that time due to US/UK both being active, it's going to be over a month, probably closer to two months before it's in a good time for me, and once it is, due to the rifts taking longer when it's a bad time for US/UK, it'll only be two, maybe three if lucky, rifts until it's back to the middle of the night for my timezone. you can say "oh you can just sail to other servers" but adding an hour return trip to an already 3 hour long rift isn't fun.

You can work towards 99 skills, you can work towards 2500 trees, you can work towards 500k actions, you can work towards 20k mob kills, you can do all these things at your leisure but goals like rifts, wear drake/scale, slay x uniques, aren't things you can work towards, you can only hope they're in favorable times for you, or cheese the hell out of them, like borrowing drake/scale so you don't have to spend money, or get friends to log into your account and afk in local of uniques/rifts so the fact that you have to go to work/school and sleep don't prevent you from doing such a task. Part of the problem with personal goals was it made you do things you probably would never ever do in the game, such as repair 6250 fences, 5000L of wine etc, but these some of these newer goals go right back into the "play as we want you to play not how you want to" of the past

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 7

Remove rifts and all the shite that goes with them. Make Wurm an actual Sandbox and not a theme park where player piss and moan about what time the rides start or how long the queue is.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

You can work towards 99 skills, you can work towards 2500 trees, you can work towards 500k actions, you can work towards 20k mob kills, you can do all these things at your leisure but goals like rifts, wear drake/scale, slay x uniques, aren't things you can work towards, you can only hope they're in favorable times for you, or cheese the hell out of them, like borrowing drake/scale so you don't have to spend money, or get friends to log into your account and afk in local of uniques/rifts so the fact that you have to go to work/school and sleep don't prevent you from doing such a task. Part of the problem with personal goals was it made you do things you probably would never ever do in the game, such as repair 6250 fences, 5000L of wine etc, but these some of these newer goals go right back into the "play as we want you to play not how you want to" of the past

Exactly what I've been thinking. The journal system is so good, but some of the goals are real let downs. I'm fine with the journal being a way to display skills or features to an extent. But really, nobody was happy to see the 25kg fish goal, and then adding the 75kg fish goal just seems like an effort to take the piss.

• Like 1

to behonest I just play and if I happen to do a thing well il be dambed lol just plodin along .if it takes years I don't care .  'the cheat thing was about rich people buying there way  that's cheating and il call it that everytime