Sign in to follow this  
Titanius

No Decay on Ground for Days

Small note here... whetstones decay away to nothing in just a matter of 5 to 7 RL days, even when in a cedarwood chest on deeded land.  They're stone.  They should last longer than tools.

Edited by Titanius
  • Like 1

They weigh less than 1 kg.... so do pelts.  Don't drop them.

If you want no decay on your whetstone you must keep it in your inventory. They are pretty light too and will fit inside a backpack or satchel in your inventory for less clutter. Cedar chests have a very minimal reduction on the decay of items put within them anyway making any focus upon them for that "benefit" worth little.

No change needed to whetstone decay rate. Now lanterns kept within inventory are another matter (discussed elsewhere too).

=Ayes=

Actually,  I experimented and found something really neat... I dropped the whetstone on the ground on my deed, and some 2 real days later, it took no decay.  It was 0.02 when I dropped it, and it is still like that now.

I'm going  to try this with my pelts too, because, as Wargasm noted, they're a problem too.  I'll report back a few days later on the pelt's decay.

Edited by Titanius

to note, i had a pelt on my floor in my house underground on deed for over a year with almost no damage

Yup,  Armyskin, that's exactly what I found just now.  And  I'm happy  to share this bit of news...

I have two mountain lion pelts - 1 in my large cedarwood chest and 1 that I left on the ground on my deed.  24 hours later - the pelt in the chest took 2 points of damage from 18.06 to 20.31, while the pelt on the ground didn't take any damage at all, but stayed at 15.01.  Similarly, the whetstone I left on the ground next to the pelt took no damage either.

I'm going to run it a little bit more for confirmation, and report the changes here soon.

Edited by Titanius
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Titanius said:

I'm going to run it a little bit more for confirmation, and report the changes here soon.

I note that you have switched to Pelts whereas this post is about Whetstone decay. A no-no. Anyway, get back to us in a month about the decay from leaving on the ground. Meanwhile I have Whetstones/Pelts in various characters inventory that have taken no *decay* damage for years, so I will stick with that proven method.

=Ayes=

Not a problem, Ayes.  I wasn't questioning your method.   I was just adding what I have found as yet another method of saving damage, not as the only method.

And I'm still writing about whetstones, having added pelts to the conversation because another member had mentioned them too.  As a final qualifier, I have changed the title of this post to include pelts.

OK.  Now that that's out of the way, on with more data.

A second day later, and the pelt in the chest took another 2 points of damage and is up to 22.61, while the pelt on the ground has not taken any damage and is still at 15.01.

And the whetstone has not taken any damage either over the past 2 days on the ground.

Well, I guess I'll leave the testing there.  I'm sure we can all extrapolate what would happen going forward.

Happy damage-saving, everyone!

Edited by Titanius

I put my whetstone and pelt in my bank to prevent damage. I don't use them that much and my settlement token is in a convenient place that if I did want to use them I can just grab them from there.

Hummm.... another update required.

On the 3rd day, the whetstone on the ground finally succumbed to decay and disappeared overnight, probably because it can't take very much damage to begin with, so it wouldn't take much to obliterate it.  It was doing fine for 2 days, but finally bit the dust.  So ya, I guess keeping whetstones in inventory or bank is better.

The pelt (also on the ground) is still without decay after 3 days, still holding 15.01, while the pelt in the chest took 2 more points and sits at 24.99.  I'll be looking at the pelt to see if it too will take a hit at some point like the whetstone did.  So far so good.

Edited by Titanius

By now I'm guessing no one's really very interested in this experiment anymore.   But in case anyone finds this useful...

Day 4

Total damage to pelt on ground = 15.01 (0 decay in 4 days)

Total damage to pelt in chest = 29.98 (11.92 decay in 4 days) (damage is accelerating, starting at 2.25 points on day 1, rising to 4.99 points by day 4)

Placed new whetstone in bank this day

Day 5

Total damage to pelt on ground = 15.01 (0 decay in 5 days)

Total damage to pelt in chest = 32.61 (14.55 decay in 5 days) (damage decelerated, rising by only 2.63 on day 5; daily changes appear to be random within a certain range)

Total damage to whetstone in bank = 0 (0 decay in 1 day)

Day 6

Total damage to pelt on ground = 15.01 (0 decay in 6 days)

Total damage to pelt in chest = 35.34 (17.28 decay in 6 days) (damage rose by 2.73 on day 6) (I may have skipped a day in day 4, making 4.99 actually 2-days' worth of decay)

Total damage to whetstone in bank = 0 (0 decay in 2 days)

Day 7

Total damage to pelt on ground = 15.01 (0 decay in 7 days)

Total damage to pelt in chest = 41.16 (23.10 decay in 7 days) (damage rose by 5.82 on day 7) (on some days decay is added twice, 12 hours apart; thus the large decay today and day 4)

Total damage to whetstone in bank = 0 (0 decay in 3 days)

My deed has over 40 days of upkeep left, so the decay is not being affected by a lack of upkeep.

I'll add a few more days to this just for the record, for future reference if anyone is interested in statistics like this.

Oh, and I changed the title again, since the whetstone in the experiment bit the dust a while ago.

Edited by Titanius
  • Like 1

I guess we all get the picture.  So I won't be adding new data after the above.

Happy damage saving everyone!

Edited by Titanius

decay is random

have nothing to do with anything you imagine or do not imagine.

happy decay day. #rng #random #decay #tick #dealwithit

Yup, Finn.  That sounds quite right.  I noticed the randomness in the little testing above.  Sometimes the decay hit once a day, sometimes twice a day.

But usually each decay hit was a steady 2.xx damage points (in the case of the pelt in the chest), and with each hit dealing just a little more decay than the last, so giving a slightly increasing decay hit each time.  So it isn't completely random, as there is a pattern to it.

Anyway, the point of my little test was to find ways of stopping decay.  I found that leaving certain items on the ground of a deed stops decay, while other players have added other suggestions like the bank and inventory.

All around an information gathering experiment.

Edited by Titanius

There used to be a thing.. where your item could skip taking a damage tick.. once or several times.. and eventually when it's time comes to take the punch... it just takes all at once... at times resulting in low ql item being there today and not being around next time decay gets to it :)

No clue if that ever changed, but it's how decay works... if you do not get hit by it.. - :party: if you do take the usual punch.. that's normal, if you get the worst case.. to lose an item.. well... keep your items at better ql from the start(when possible).

On 5/1/2019 at 3:21 PM, Titanius said:

in my large cedarwood chest

I am nearly positive I recall the devs nerfing "cedar containers" as slowing decay on contents. Cedarwood now delays the decay on the container itself but NOT on contents, or did I misunderstand the discussion here some time back? (will go look for links, but Ostentatio probably knows)

For some reason I was thinking the only container that now slows decay is  amphora, specific rune containers,  and sealed barrels.

Edit:  relevant post:

Per Ostentatio:

From a cursory look at the current Wurm Unlimited code, here is how it currently looks to me:

• Cedar slows down decay, but only of the item itself, not contents.
  • Pottery amphoras still slow decay of contents.
  • Decay slowdown bonuses still stack.
    • The only current application of this is the "slowed decay of contents" rune. So for instance, you could have a runed satchel inside a runed raft inside a runed ship, I guess. Assuming you can put the rune on all those things.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors