Sign in to follow this  
Adambean

Level 1 and 2 GMs (hero/GM) are invulnerable on connect when they shouldn't be

Hello,

It appears that if a player joins a game of which has GM level 1 (hero) or 2 (game master) they are invulnerable. Even though that the event log shows "You are now no longer invulnerable." you are actually invulnerable. 

You can spot this by approaching any hostile creature. They will have neutral outlines and not attack you even though you should. (This is assuming that you have already turned off invisibility, though even with invisibility on hostile creatures should still have the hostile outline.)

I guess that heroes aren't meant to be invulnerable at all as the "#invuln" command is not available to them, so they can't turn this off even if they wanted to. They have to instead be elevated to GM level 3 (high god) to use that command for it to be gone, then drop back to level 1 or 2. However the next time they join they'll wrongly be invulnerable again, even if they disconnect with it switched off.

This impacts GM level 2 (game master) slightly worse because they are not told that the "#invuln" command is unavailable when they try to use it, even though it's denied. At least as a hero you're told the command doesn't exist.

--

I bring this up because I prefer to play as GM level 1 as standard, as this level shows you have some neutral responsibilities on a server but is less interfering with standard game play. Typically I'll elevate myself to a higher GM level only when needed for a specific administrative task, then put myself back down to level 1 once that's done.

when a player logs in it does 1 simple check.

public boolean isInvulnerable()
  {
    if (getPower() > 0)
    {
      return GMINVULN;
    }

so regardless what the wiki or what ever says, if you have even 1 GM power you are set to invulnerable.

TBH this would be a very simple thing to change, maybe a new modder could look at it. A simple hook and replace the getPower() with getPower() - 2 so GM 3 + would be only ones set to invulnerable.

Edited by Cuddles
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cuddles said:

TBH this would be a very simple thing to change, maybe a new modder could look at it.

I'd be grateful for this, if someone is into doing it.  Maybe send me an earburn if one is worked up?

Looks like you've resolved this Cuddles, thanks again. -- I dropped your mod in place, shut down, made myself GM level 1, then started up and joined to find this:

[17:27:54] You will now fight normally.
[17:27:55] Welcome back, Adambean! Welcome to Beanland on Adambean's server. Info and map at http://games.reece-eu.net/wurm
[17:27:56] You should not be visible now.
[17:27:56] You enter Bean Village.
[17:27:56] You enter Horde of the Summoned.
[17:27:56] You feel the presence of Libila.
[17:27:56] These other players are online on Beanland - adambean's server [pvp on, epic on, 2x skill, 4x action]:
[17:27:56] None! (1 totally in Wurm)
[17:27:56] Pine is in season
[17:27:56] Welcome to Wurm, Adambean!
[17:27:56] Type /help for available commands.

(Invisibility isn't an issue as GM 1 is meant to be allowed that. I'll just make myself visible on join.)

There's a lot of ruddy welcomes in there..!

--

Having idled for a bit on mycelium tiles (as I regularly do being in HOTS) browsing these forums I came back to find this:

[17:36:53] You will be logged off in one minute since you are invulnerable. Move around a little to prevent this.
[17:37:02] You are no longer invulnerable.

I'm not sure if I really was invulnerable or not, and if the original message on connect had just been suppressed.

Edited by Adambean

that is supposed to be if you don't do anything after you log in. So basically when you log in every character is 'invulnerable' as soon as you move or do action or what ever it changes that (for normal players) to vulnerable. so even as GM 1 or 2 you need to move after logging in, there is a check for GM3+ and it ignores that time check of 10 mins of not doing anything after logging in.

So yeah after your char gets in just move a little and you won't get that anymore.

On 8/24/2019 at 9:18 PM, Cuddles said:

*cough* you didn't look in the spoiler did you.

Oh yay!  No, I missed the spoiler.  ?   Thank you very much!

I tried it out, and it works great!  I like that a Level 1 GM can be invulnerable while invisible, but also be normal otherwise. Kind of the best of two worlds.

Edited by Batta

7 hours ago, Cuddles said:

that is supposed to be if you don't do anything after you log in. So basically when you log in every character is 'invulnerable' as soon as you move or do action or what ever it changes that (for normal players) to vulnerable. so even as GM 1 or 2 you need to move after logging in, there is a check for GM3+ and it ignores that time check of 10 mins of not doing anything after logging in.

So yeah after your char gets in just move a little and you won't get that anymore.

That makes sense for idling but I had already moved around quite a bit for a minute. (fed chicken coops) 

I'll check again later today to be sure. 

I did check this again. I don't think there is any problem.

You should publish this as a full mod Cuddles. :)