Sign in to follow this  
Batta

Unable to repair guard tower

[21:59:27] You are not allowed to repair the guard tower until you have 20 fighting skill.

A player got this message when trying to imp a guard tower.  I'm certain I've made & imped many guard towers on 1x servers long before I reached 20 fighting.  

Is this a bug, or is it a change to how things work?

If it's a change, I think it makes the game unnecessarily harder on slower servers.

EDIT:  to clarify, this is on my own server.  I have not modded it so that players can't imp towers.

Edited by Batta

Not a bug. It is in the itembehaviour.java for target.isKingdomMarker

else if (target.isKingdomMarker() && (!performer.isFriendlyKingdom(target.getAuxData()) || performer.getEnemyPresense() > 0 || performer.getFightingSkill().getRealKnowledge() < 20.0 || !performer.isPaying())) {
  if (performer.getEnemyPresense() > 0) {
       comm.sendNormalServerMessage("You are not allowed to repair the " + target.getName() + " while enemies are about.");
  }
  else if (performer.getFightingSkill().getRealKnowledge() < 20.0) {
       comm.sendNormalServerMessage("You are not allowed to repair the " + target.getName() + " until you have 20 fighting skill.");
       }
  else if (!performer.isFriendlyKingdom(target.getAuxData())) {
       comm.sendNormalServerMessage("You are not allowed to repair the " + target.getName() + " it is not part of your kingdom.");
       }
  else if (!performer.isPaying()) {
       comm.sendNormalServerMessage("You are not allowed to repair the " + target.getName() + " without premium status.");
       }
  else {
       comm.sendNormalServerMessage("You are not allowed to repair the " + target.getName() + ".");
   }
   toReturn = true;
   }

Not sure if/when it was added/changed. Just exists in the 1.9 base.

Edit:

"2013 Patch Notes 160604 - You now need 20 fight skill in order to repair kingdom towers under enemy player presense" Not sure if it means presence. But does follow along with the code.

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Wurm_Server_Release_Notes_2013#130604_Mission_fixes

Edited by Ayluin

2013?  We have ALWAYS been able to imp guard towers, regardless of fighting skill.  I am 100% sure of this, because I often have guard towers long before I have even 10 fighting skill, and I've always been able to imp them.  If this was in place in 2013, I've got to think it was taken out after then and its presence now is an actual error.

see also this recent thread:

Wondering if this was orginally PVP server code that got ... "imported" ... to PVE servers. Link above is from a WO / Freedom isles longtime player. 

Interesting that the wiki does not mention this at all, as it seems an important note. I also am pretty sure I was repairing a guard tower on Xanadu (opened 2014) on a never-premium charater.

is this a FREEDOM kingdom tower or one of the pvp towers that are allowed with mods?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Could be, I'm not disputing that it wasn't that way before, I'm just stating this is what is causing it in the code and the last actual reference to it I could find. I have no actual experience on this topic so I just dug it out in the code for reference if it needs to be fixed or maybe a mod to remove that check for PVE servers.

To be more clear, this is WU, not WO, and it's a Freedom tower on a Creative PvE server.

I belive this applies to WO unless our protests helped, and if so, this prolly now applied to WU after the 1.9 update.

Came in same time with priest update in WO.

2 hours ago, Cecci said:

I belive this applies to WO unless our protests helped, and if so, this prolly now applied to WU after the 1.9 update.

Came in same time with priest update in WO.

It's a very unwelcome change, especially for PvE.  Grrr

Maiya's thread (link above) suggests that yes it is CURRENTLY active on WO, as well as Batta's report of it in WU.    So  Cecci seems  correct that it is something that actually came to both versions of the game with the update to priests (WO first, and now WU also).  No idea what relevance this would have to priests though. 

(It's possible that the 2013 reference to the code that Ayluin notes was something once applicable to Epic or Chaos and they finally decided to implement it everywhere ...?)

Just needs to be said yet again:

This is such a STUPID  thing to have on PVE servers in a sandbox game.

Another example of why there really needs to be separate code branches for PVE and PVP 

(I assume this started as a PVP thing as there really is no sane rationale for it on PVE)

• Like 1

You are correct Brash.  The code was to prevent people from creating alts to run down and repair a tower during pvp while an opposing kingdom was trying to bash the tower.

Just make a requirement "20 in any skill" then. Or 20 in any Body characteristic. Or 20 in Fight -or- 20 in Masonry -or- 20 in Repair.   Or make it premium players only if they want to stop "freebie alts", since they are pretty much already penalizing non-premium characters in this regard anyway.

That way they weed out throwaway alts for some stupid pvp game mechanic reasons, without requiring players with zero interest in combat and fighting be required to grind up combat and fighting skills.  A farmer, a cook, a pacifist, should all be acceptable gameplay options. 

And any pvper who insists how "easy" it is to just spend your first days in the game grinding 20 fight skill even if you don't want to, are pretty much proving this rule is not stopping them and their friends from making repair tower alts despite the rule. 

And that the game is based on meaningless grind for the sake of grind, not on making choices on how to spend your efforts.

• Like 1

Well when is "next update" for WU?

Sometime in 2021?

It was ADDED last update for us, why not take it out of WU code if you knew it was being changed anyway?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Another example of why there really needs to be separate code branches for PVE and PVP 

Exactly, it was a hard hit having damage bonuses from priests go from 25% to 15% for PvP balancing. (Although that update wasn't very balanced) Plus healing resistances. spell resistances, and guard tower repairs and all that stuff.
I see a lot of nerfs coming in the future from complaints, and I don't see why PvE should feel it.

Oakshell is a good example, that was fun, now it's not nearly as good. About 33% less effective than before so wearing armour is required usually now.

Edited by Wiolo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Well when is "next update" for WU?

No ETA on the next update 

The rest of it stems from discussion as the mechanic in a whole. I believe it slipped in when we adjusted the tower chaining code and removed the old code.

Having separate branches would not be a good system to have, as devs needing to do 2x the work would lead to less being done. 

23 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I mean, it was removed last update 

It wasn't removed on WU, though.  It's still in place right now, and our server is up to date.

19 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Having separate branches would not be a good system to have, as devs needing to do 2x the work would lead to less being done.

Are the majority really PvP, then?  If not, I believe that complicating PvE for the sake of PvP-ers isn't a great way to go.  

can you not just change the 20 to a 2 or something

isnt that the point of wu that you can mod it

meh give me a min I'll throw up a simple mod to remove this crap.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjnBltNOSFjCgmWkJu1u0fkrnR39

removes the fight skill check altogether.

*Insert usual, server mod, needs ago's modloader, for WU blah blah*

edit

not adding this to my usual mod post, it just does what it says and when they fix it next patch just stop using the mod.

Edited by Cuddles
  • Like 3

On 6/2/2019 at 6:15 PM, Cuddles said:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjnBltNOSFjCgmWkJu1u0fkrnR39

removes the fight skill check altogether.

*Insert usual, server mod, needs ago's modloader, for WU blah blah*

edit

not adding this to my usual mod post, it just does what it says and when they fix it next patch just stop using the mod.

Thank you, by the way :)

i was starting to wonder if anyone actually used it after all this discussion, you are welcome.

No, I was just neglectful in my manners,

The server i play on did add it and then we had to wait for the next server resatrt/update so there was about a week before it actually took effect, but I was negligent in getting back here sooner to say thanks ?