Kiama

Varlen II (Inactive)

Recommended Posts

I'm afraid this server is just wasting my money at the moment. I have let it run for months and months with extremely low activity because I had promised that it would be permanent, but it has just gotten ridiculous. So, the loopholes I am using now are:

 

1. It is now permanent on Google Drive; you can download the full server files here and run it as-is (I recommend PingPerfect) to get exactly the same results. You are welcome to host it yourself. If we are being honest, even running it privately on your own computer is going to be the same experience as this server currently is.

2. It hasn't ended because I will definitely bring the server back online at some point in the future, either whenever I next have a Wurm phase, or sooner if people comment here letting me know they wish they could come back on. If the former, I probably won't advertise it here, so let me know in the comments if you want it back. Please only comment if you would actually rejoin the server when it is back.

Edited by Kiama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update: We are going to trial having free deeds for a couple of months. You still have to pay upkeep.

Edited by Kiama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is just a mess... 

I don't think anybody in their right mind would play on a 1x 1x server where you start with no tools 1 characteristics and where simple cave walls have 1000 rock shards in them before they break. 

Then you say that people won't be banned for anything in game, but then you also say: 

Quote

People would be banned for hacking as it isn't "in-game".

 

What? By hacking you mean macros or what? Those aren't hacks, but anything from simple scripts running on your PC to an autoclicker or keypresser program. 

And now you are saying that you have to manually spawn clay and that there are other issues with the map?
 

Yeah, thanks but no thanks, sounds like one mess of a server. I'm surprised that you could somehow get one poor soul to play here in the course of a month 

Edited by atazs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, atazs said:

This is just a mess... 

I don't think anybody in their right mind would play on a 1x 1x server where you start with no tools 1 characteristics and where simple cave walls have 1000 rock shards in them before they break. 

Then you say that people won't be banned for anything in game, but then you also say: 

 

What? By hacking you mean macros or what? Those aren't hacks, but anything from simple scripts running on your PC to an autoclicker or keypresser program. 

And now you are saying that you have to manually spawn clay and that there are other issues with the map?
 

Yeah, thanks but no thanks, sounds like one mess of a server. I'm surprised that you could somehow get one poor soul to play here in the course of a month 

 

I am not banning anyone for macroing, no. But I was told by another server owner that there are mods that give players control of the server and that they can intentionally corrupt the data. I had never heard of this but I clarified that this wouldn't be allowed. Edit: I removed this from the post to calm down people like you.

 

"I don't think anybody in their right mind would play on..."

 

This server was never for people like you, so kindly refrain from attacking other people's more hardcore preferences. I *was* happily playing with 1,000 minimum mining hits until I discovered it was actually much more than 1.000 due to, I guess, 1,000 being too high a number for that setting to work as expected. Seeing as I am paying for the server and I was enjoying it, I am not sure why you feel the need to comment.

 

I will also say that there aren't "other issues with the map". There was literally one issue that was inherent to the map, not enough clay. Manually adding clay is frustrating but not as absurd as it sounds as it is a small map with a lot of water and it is preferable to redoing the map.

Edited by Kiama
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree you Kiama. Anyone who isn't happy with the hardships should just ignore the server. Good to have different flavours.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jaz said:

Agree you Kiama. Anyone who isn't happy with the hardships should just ignore the server. Good to have different flavours.

 

Thanks Jaz, positivity is appreciated today :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Varlen is slowly but surely growing. There have been three of us consistently on each day this month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to have to write this but something is wrong with the server at the moment. I think it is probably an issue with the host rather than our game files because I was the only person when it started and all I was doing was farming. Basically you can't seem to do anything in game. You can log in but if you move a few blocks or try to do anything it will teleport you back. It resembles minecraft lag on heavily modded packs. I am hoping it is sorted out by the morning.

 

And we're back... that was about a half hour down time... as far as I know, no one else was trying to get online but apologies if you were affected.

Edited by Kiama

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have so many horses and cows now... if anyone wants to set up on the starting island (it is the large mid-north island), I can provide a breeding pair of both.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're still here (three of us) :) Come be one of the first settlers of a hardcore, permanent server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/23/2019 at 11:43 PM, Kiama said:

2. No one will be banned for anything that's done or said in-game.

This is what prevents me from trying out your server, and I'm sure it's the same for others. There are some vicious players out there who drive out others with terribly racist, or woman-hating, or threateningly violent talk.  That's why most server owners do ban for this sort of thing.  I can't imagine playing on a server that encourages hate talk by promising not to ban for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Batta said:

This is what prevents me from trying out your server, and I'm sure it's the same for others. There are some vicious players out there who drive out others with terribly racist, or woman-hating, or threateningly violent talk.  That's why most server owners do ban for this sort of thing.  I can't imagine playing on a server that encourages hate talk by promising not to ban for it.

 

I haven't had any of those people yet but sure, it's for a certain kind of thick-skinned person. I realise most people won't appreciate this server but I'm reminding people that we're here just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been playing the past few days and while things like allowing macroing seems dangerous this looks to be the best 'hardcore' server around.

 

Characteristics starting at 1 has been surprisingly fun, and a very different playstyle than I've experienced before.  A mountain lion killed me in one hit just outside the starting town.  Max weight starts at 7 so carrying just about anything was enough to encumber, though that increases quickly.  Gathered a few dozen rocks to go straight to iron tools.  Tamed a dog to fight another dog to get a pelt.  Made saddle bags to convert a horse into a makeshift cart.

 

I would suggest adding some details to the name though since I only found this server after not being able to find a 1x server I liked and deciding to settle on something else.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Okawaru said:

Been playing the past few days and while things like allowing macroing seems dangerous this looks to be the best 'hardcore' server around.

 

Characteristics starting at 1 has been surprisingly fun, and a very different playstyle than I've experienced before.  A mountain lion killed me in one hit just outside the starting town.  Max weight starts at 7 so carrying just about anything was enough to encumber, though that increases quickly.  Gathered a few dozen rocks to go straight to iron tools.  Tamed a dog to fight another dog to get a pelt.  Made saddle bags to convert a horse into a makeshift cart.

 

I would suggest adding some details to the name though since I only found this server after not being able to find a 1x server I liked and deciding to settle on something else.

 

Thanks! I'll do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting server, was surprised to see that I only start with a tent and get kicked out into the wilderness immediately. -- I found that climbing on the nearby rocks boosted max weight to 50kG+ with body strength ~8 within 25 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 6:19 PM, Adambean said:

Interesting server, was surprised to see that I only start with a tent and get kicked out into the wilderness immediately. -- I found that climbing on the nearby rocks boosted max weight to 50kG+ with body strength ~8 within 25 minutes.

Welcome to Varlen :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

love the rough start.  love the starting stats at 1.       but i couldnt do that many mining hits.  i wouldve played here if the mining hits were normal 55ish.  best of luck.  hate to see a server go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.