Sign in to follow this  
Cuddles

new mod idea, would like feedback and thoughts

Ok I have an idea but not really sure if it would be wanted/needed or if it can be better or not before I even start coding.

Firstly I only do server mods, so this is of course a server mod.

Wurm mod where you have NPC villagers as such, 1 designated blacksmith, 1 weaponsmith, 1 cloth tailor, 1 armor smith and so on. Could be really complex I would prefer more simple. Only uses iron as a metal for example.
Ok so you give the NPC 100kg iron lumps, tell it to skill up. So it uses that iron to then spend it's time skilling up weapon smith. calculate using server settings and some stuff in properties file for tweaking. Anyway so after the time it needed to use up that iron it's "skill" has increased. Give it 100kg 50ql iron and tell it to craft, after X amount of time it then has available some 50ql tools, depending on how much iron you gave and it's skill.
more and more lately i see servers tend to have a couple of people work on say weaponsmith, they stop playing and bamm no weaponsmith available anymore. someone else might try their hand and a couple weeks later they can do 50-60 ql weapons.

I have 2 ways of using it in mind, 1 is for an admin/gm to put in a gm deed so anyone can use it. The other is for more personal usage on a players deed.

If personal on deed then permissions and such make it easier, can just have an inventory as such and the items created are in it for collection. GM deed usage that won't work so well as anyone could take it or the GM may not even give pickup/drop perms on deed. Other way would be delivered by mail to the person who put in the creation request. On Gm deed someone could give 100kg and tell it to skill up, making it so no one else can use it for crafting, could lead to greifing I guess.

with max ql settings in place by Admin then it may or may not take away from trades players may do in game.
People will still need to gather items but the idea is that people won't be forced to skill up every craft in order to actually play the game.

So yeah what do you all think, has it got usage or will it just collect dust and no one ever uses it.
  • Like 1

I like the idea, but only for a GM to set up, not for players to own their own smith.  If there were a way that the results could automatically go to a merchant and be up for sale, that would be even better (rather than just be free to take). The more options that the server owner can config/decline the better, in my opinion. On my LAN, I'd likely turn on everything except my favourite skills, but on my populated server I think it would discourage skilling up, since the NPC would likely be tireless and dominate the market very quickly.

Edited by Batta

I think it's a fantastic concept. On the server I play on there is no blacksmith, as all the blacksmiths have quit, then someone else does it for a few weeks or months, then quits, so finding even 50ql items becomes next to impossible. It got so bad that our admin actually became the blacksmith on his player character, just to have a few available items. But that shouldn't have to happen.

On actual well populated servers with a thriving economy (if there is such a thing these days) there would be less of a use. Then you simply don't install the mod.

But on lower populated servers where the people who DO play are on different timezones and rarely have crossover, the personal weaponsmith would be a boon, and it wouldn't detract from the economy, because there isn't one!

Consideration for an option.

Make it so the blacksmith can only imp things to 10ql below the maximum blacksmith skill of any active players on the server as an example. Perhaps active player is defined as someone who has logged in within previous 10 or 30 days.

I think all of the options you have proposed are good ones. Each server admin can decide how to use the mod to best fit their desired server experience provided the options are configurable (and yours tend to be)

~Nappy

I would go with similar to Nappy's idea but limit to -10 al for any player not just active.  The point being small server lose the main Smith or whatever you have something to fill in until someone fills the spot.

so just a straight -10 against any player on server as max for that crafter, maybe just do a properties for that, so admin can set that how they like.

I am thinking mail item made to the player as opposed to pick it up from a container, my original thought was a personal crafter and it is an actual container, you just drop in materials and the items are put in container when done. I think mailing will be easier on perms but the container idea felt more real.

57 minutes ago, Jerone0601 said:

I would go with similar to Nappy's idea but limit to -10 al for any player not just active.  The point being small server lose the main Smith or whatever you have something to fill in until someone fills the spot.

My reasoning behind this was that if you lost a longtime bs player then while they were still considered active you could get close to their ql from the bot however once they were gone longer then active period then the max ql from the bot would also lessen. This should have the overall impact of allowing remaining players to not have to compete with a bot while they imped up their skills to eventually be higher then the bot again. Also would give them a market since no other higher source would be available.

Perhaps having both configurable options would be better?

maybe a tiering down from inactivity.

active  is -10

offline 1 month -15

offline 2+ months -20

but still have a set maximum from properties file, example max 60.

Issue I see is the max may go down as the main player crafter goes away, so people give the NPC crafter a heap of materials to skill up and they go backwards at some stage. People may feel ripped off or at least not like the idea of that happening.

--=== Minimum ===--

how about starts skill 1 purely for raising skill purposes but can imp 10 from start, so basically a 10 minimum. Then it gets given materials to use to skill, goes up 2,3,4,5 and so on, hits 11 and now can do 11.

--=== Maximum ===--

below highest skilled player by X set by admin, also a set maximum by admin of Y.

So if NPC was doing 50ql because an active player had 60 and they went offline a month max would still be 50 ql, because if you don't go backwards then no point checking people offline 2+ as you already set -10 of their skill when they were online.

I really like the idea but what is the need for the blacksmith to skill himself up? Why not just have the admin set the skill? They could put relatively low skilled smiths in small villages and higher skilled ones in larger towns and cities.

i am all for reward effort, no difference to npc that sells items (merchant) than having blacksmith already skilled, if they need to skill up and takes time and resources then reward for effort. That is my way of thinking though.

• Like 1

aah I suppose. This way it more like the npc is part of their community and grows with them :)