Sign in to follow this  
Noevi

Chaos Freedom Portal

6 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

are you insulting me now?

keep in mind I never insulted you, I just said I don't care about your opinion, but if you want to start a ###### slinging fest on your own suggestion thread, trust me I am more than down, just let me know

I think he meant it as being more open, with your mind. I mean he did include himself in that so he would be insulting himself too. But I don't see it like that, more like advice that you interpreted the wrong way, either way mate it'd be useless arguing we both look stupid at the end. 

Edited by Loink

Just now, Loink said:

I think he meant it as being more open, with your mind. I mean he did include himself in that so he would be insulting himself too. But I don't see it like that more of advice that you interpreted wrong, either way mate it'd be useless arguing we both look stupid at the end. 

thats the best part about not caring how you look on the forums for a near-dead sandbox, it doesn't matter to me how I look to you or anyone else here

• Like 2

People able to go to freedom and back via portal kills the online count as everyone would prefer to grind in complete safety (can see how well that went for epic), making the server seem dead for anyone who's on outside of hota/raid times, which makes them less likely to stay on the server, which in turn helps kill the server. it pretty much removes any form of non-instanced pvp where you find some poor soul out grinding his weapon skills in the wilderness (why would i do that when i can instantly teleport to a deed in north xanadu and have 5x the mobs?) and instead places more emphasis on hota = only time for pvp, which is a pretty shitty way to play an open world pvp game. wurm should be moving away from the "teleport to your frontline deed for your weekly pvp fight", not actively encouraging it. may as well add the ###### arena from wow at that point

2 minutes ago, Noevi said:

No I am not insulting you, I read your message as "I have an opinion, I can't be proven wrong cause it's an opinion.", which warranted replying that it's pretty unproductive to engage in conversation if you have already decided you will never change your opinions. It did not occur to me that you thought of my suggestion as an opinion. I have an opinion that lead to a suggestion, but the suggestion is not an opinion, I'm completely open to there being reasons this is a very bad idea, however I feel that those presented have been offered possible solutions.

As for starting turd slinging, you started talking about "don't die of brain disease reading this post" etc, so I think we can just leave it there.

the whole point of that was that I used an entire run-on book instead of using punctuation and paragraphs conducive to a real conversation, what does that have to do with insulting you?

2 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

People able to go to freedom and back via portal kills the online count as everyone would prefer to grind in complete safety (can see how well that went for epic), making the server seem dead for anyone who's on outside of hota/raid times, which makes them less likely to stay on the server, which in turn helps kill the server. it pretty much removes any form of non-instanced pvp where you find some poor soul out grinding his weapon skills in the wilderness (why would i do that when i can instantly teleport to a deed in north xanadu and have 5x the mobs?) and instead places more emphasis on hota = only time for pvp, which is a pretty shitty way to play an open world pvp game. wurm should be moving away from the "teleport to your frontline deed for your weekly pvp fight", not actively encouraging it. may as well add the ###### arena from wow at that point

I don't disagree with this, I don't have a good enough feel for the community outside of my kingdom to know how they would react to this.
I mean are deeds not pretty much way too safe as it is? Can't say I feel very threatened grinding in our capital.
The hunting is a good point, perhaps people would just use it as a way to avoid PvP rather than more actively engage in it, that would pretty much do the exact opposite of what the suggestion is intended to do.
Do you see any ways of modifying it, or perhaps other ways to get more freedomers to try out chaos?

5 minutes ago, platinumteef said:

the whole point of that was that I used an entire run-on book instead of using punctuation and paragraphs conducive to a real conversation, what does that have to do with insulting you?

It did not precisely come off as particularly friendly, and could be taken as implying I have brain disease I suppose. It's a pretty minor detail which is why I did not reply to it in the first place.

The people of chaos don't want occasional PvP players. The way your idea works, you need new gear on chaos. What kingdom wants to give away tons of gear and train people who won't stick around? Unless you plan to get the resources and make everything there, in which case it would be faster to just sail over there, especially now that we can plot course.

In my experience, if you're not 100% commited when you go to chaos, you're gonna have a bad time.

You are just trading 15-20min of sail time that might turn into a boat fight into a safe 1hour teleport... A big part of the fun of the pvp servers is the unpredictability of the area you are in. The best pvp is the random encounter in the wild when your heart spops for a bit while you assess the situation and your escape or attack routes.. People need to be more on chaos not less..

Edit: you are essentially talking about epic.. since you only want to jump over for pvp, skill doesn't matter that much while there.. and then jump back to freedom and grind away.

Edited by faty

On 4/24/2019 at 3:47 AM, Noevi said:

Do you see any ways of modifying it, or perhaps other ways to get more freedomers to try out chaos?

Encouraging people to try out PVP servers could be achieved with Journal goals. Not in the main journal path but in a fork like the priest journal.

Instant travel does not really help Wurm looking back on the timeline - even introducing plotting made landmasses unimportant (I'm looking at you north and south Xana shores). Summon soul is very comfortable but again kills some of the immersion. I'm not really happy to have anything watering up the sandbox setup. 

There is already a workaround to the suggestion - ask a priest in your kingdom to pop over to your freedom server border and summon you...

Edited by Jaz
  • Like 1

+1
Because I like solutions for problems not problems for solutions right @faty

The Epic system for starter town portals between home servers and Elevation was fine, saved lots of time and there's no reason something similar wouldn't work on Freedom to Chaos. Personally I live in the worst place to get to Chaos, center of Xanadu and frankly I'm not prepared to waste hours each time I want to PvP or PvE and I can't justify the money invested on my PvE deed if most of my gaming time is spent AFK sailing between my two desires so I am forced to pick one. 

OR's point of killing activity is valid but is it accurate? These portals go both ways and gains are the same and saved unlike the Epic situation. You won't find many players out grinding skills in Chaos anyway because even before Epic players preferred to grind in safety and many years later only thing to change was the amount of players. Wurm should most definitely be moving towards accessibility as making Wurm not accessible over the last 16 years hasn't worked. If that means Portals between starter towns then that's fine by me, I'd rather spend my time productively not AFK sailing/travelling between a hugely fragmented community.

nevermind

Edited by nicedreams

I think if you wanna pvp you must live on the pvp server (I'm not saying you can't go on freedom pve). 

The reason why i don't like a portal is that one side have to create pvp while the other can join, so

it will be only like an increasing number when pvp is already happening and will not resolve the current situation.

You can only create pvp if you live the server. If all the kingdoms "create" pvp. The game works.

So you as the OP think that Chaos should receive special treatment because it is a Freedom pvp server? To get to all the rest of the PvE servers we have to sail to them (after the free newbie account 1 portal) and yet to get to Chaos players should not have to sail there? Heck, some years back players could not even sail to Chaos (Wild) and it was not even in the Freedom cluster.

The day players can Portal to every other server then sure Chaos can join the club. Until then, no way.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 12:45 AM, Firecat said:

Ok so Freedomers were allowed to keep skilling on freedom and have their statistics transferred to epic, however it is not the same the other way around, and we actually got nerfed on stats that were not even related to being a 2x skill.

This pretty much describes the Problem.

What exactly is PvP in wurm?

PvP is in most games with open PVP, the harder grinders win. because they have more time, raid others while their opponents are at work, and amass much more stuff to destroy other stuff.

Luckily, Wurm is somewhat more difficult in these regards, because it isn't that easy to destroy laods of stuff with a hand full of people in a short amount of time.

But the issues Wurm has is, Time. Skill differences have a massive impact on your efficiency, and getting skills up requires a Huge amount of time.

And this creates two sides: the one side that grinded faster than the others not wanting others to easily come to their level and losing their advantage.

Then there is the Side that want's to have fun in PVP, but being just plain out worse will hardly generate fun because the outcome is very clear.

So the question is what do you people value: wanting pvp or keeping superiority. Tell me what use would a new character for the pvp server truly have? And what would that little and useless player get in terms of joy? The Time gap between him and the established players is separating them way too much to ever catch up properly. And if you do nto want "savety" high grinded players joining the server. What do you want exactly? What except pointless opponents would you get if it isn't people of at least equal skill coming over? And oh stop, next to the skill grind there is still items, which, especially with enchantments will be another HUGE factor that is heavily time related. So even if they keep their skills, they may need a buttload of time gearing up while during doing so they might be freely raided by the established people.

So I could ask, what bad stuff would it do to your pvp server if people could bring a copy of their current character and equip over?

Sow hat about more attractivity in pvp vs linked pve servers? Technically, give people higher skillgain on the pvp servers, and higher possible settlement boni. because the ultimate question is, why do people go back to freedom instead of staying? Because risk and rewards as well as economical reasons seem not to favour the pvp servers. or the reversed Ultimate Question is: What would people of freedom make come over to chaos and stay there?

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 8:45 PM, gabars said:

In my experience, if you're not 100% commited when you go to chaos, you're gonna have a bad time.

yeah time is a valuable resource and that's why freedom is rather well populated. No fear to get your stuff destroyed that you took so long to build. The people having the commitment in general aren't that many. Next lifetime period I have "commitment" to the required decree is retirement in a few decades ahead.

Edited by PWreset

On 5/2/2019 at 7:27 PM, HexD said:

Wurm should most definitely be moving towards accessibility as making Wurm not accessible over the last 16 years hasn't worked. If that means Portals between starter towns then that's fine by me, I'd rather spend my time productively not AFK sailing/travelling between a hugely fragmented community.

@AyesIf you're talking to me then I don't think PvP should get special treatment. A portals between Chaos and Freedom thread might be the catalyst but I clearly stated portals between starter towns of a hugely fragmented community, that means as a whole, not just PvP.

@DavyI think it's wrong to assume the players with ties to Freedom will only ever join Chaos when a fight is happening, players will 'vacation' between the two I suspect, spending some time over a couple days/weeks on Chaos and then heading back to sort out Freedoms stuff and vice versa. There will be players that will cross for PvP only, but Chaos already has players that only login for the fights. Having more players in fights is a good thing anyway, plus it'd probably get 'some' of the people lurking around the forums to actively participate again.

On 5/2/2019 at 8:27 PM, HexD said:

Personally I live in the worst place to get to Chaos, center of Xanadu and frankly I'm not prepared to waste hours each time I want to PvP or PvE and I can't justify the money invested on my PvE deed if most of my gaming time is spent AFK sailing between my two desires so I am forced to pick one.

Shouldn't there be an easy solution for? Just moor a boat at any coast of Xanadu where you have one or more priests around to summon you. You may even have a tiny outpost (a house and a pen suffices) or guest place on a deed to store some stuff and park horses if desired. Then it is a matter of 10 to 20 minutes to reach Chaos, really not hours each time. On return you may town portal home.

The privilege of Chaos e.g. over Epic is that you can transfer stuff from the PvP area which is scarce or unattainable in Freedom back to Freedom. The price is a slightly harder accessibility both ways. And I agree to the concerns of Chaos community members.

On the other hand, yes there is a problem of a dramatically dwindling PvP participation no matter whether Epic or Chaos despite the ease to visit Epic as a "PvP tourist". I fail to see that a portal would fix anything.

Buying additional accounts as means of transportation is not a solution for poor game design.

I did not think of additional accounts. Finn has created a summoning network of priests so you might get to newspring, jellyfish, esteron, glasshollow, jolly rogue, whatever, directly at the coast. The infrastructure is in place to get to the coast, only need once to station a ship. I would even invite you to use my boat mine and tunnels to start from once my priest is back, but it is bit inland in G13.

Actually, there was a Freedom/Chaos portal once.

I used it and moved from Chaos to Indy very long ago.

I lost all equipment in the transfer.

And when I tried to retrieve it a couple of years later by going back by boat (the portal had been removed), all my stuff was still gone.