Sign in to follow this  
Cynlanton

New Player...Stuck, Lost and Confused - Lots of Answers

18 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I haven't tested and though I started in WO, I am on WU these past few years so I was taking Aye's word here on that as Ayes usually has good info plus it matches a few other game mechanics of the type. Sounded like they were maybe trying to bust up the classic WO 'bulk HFC mass skillup" (100 frypans each in 100 forges, and hiring someone else to fill pans to gain 50 or more points of skill in mere minutes).   No idea myself how it works on WO any more so I'll let the WO veterans argue that one out :) Much of WO/WU are very similar but they can often have striking differences on relatively minor things. One reason it is helpful to get input from different players is they can often have different insights (sometimes conflicting).   Never yet met a Wurm player who was 100 percent right, 100 percent of the time. 

As you can see above, I think you may misunderstand what Ayes meant. :) It's only that if you have one bowl, then you have to have one to cook, then drop other ingredients, then let them heat and so on. It's nothing new, nothing changed. Not an artificial stop of skill gain, just how it works in practice.

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Cynlanton,

Staying at Haven's Landing for some time is a good idea as it has many things that you will need right there. There is an iron mine in the Village with forge and fuel so you can craft nails for building a small/large cart which you can then pull/drag around with you. If you take off all your leather armor you can them move a lot faster and you really won't need to wear it anyway if you stay close to the Village. There are also 2 guard towers close enough to call for guards help if any mob wanders near there, which they rarely do. There is also a farm in HL Village that anyone can use to plant/grow vegetables/cotton/wemp. It is right near the Village exit next to those large Portals. Most of it is already planted out with these various items but before you harvest anything use "examine" on the field and don't harvest unless it is "ripe" as you will get poor QL and less items. Then be sure to replant the tile for a continued supply for all.

If you take that exit out of the Village you will see on your right a "New Players House" and outside of it on the highway there is an Oven with a bin next to it that has fuel items to burn. There is a well a few tiles from that for water. Inside that house there is a forge you can use with a bin next to it with various items and fuel in it. There is also a Food Bin in the house that sometimes has food items in it. If you harvest extra ripe crops you could drop them in there for others to use or come back for them later if others don't use them as the house is free for all to pickup items.

Also, inside the HL Village there is a "Bartender" in the central area that will give you free food/water for first 24hrs playtime by clicking on it. In that central area there is also a Woodcutting section where you can chop down trees. There are some cedars in there close to the hedge border that are sort of bugged and you will get the message that "you are too weak to cut them" (or some such message) so this may be what you experienced if you were cutting trees in that area. If so just move further away from the hedge a few rows and you can cut trees, although they may not be cedars there as every thing seems to spawn in random sections of varieties.

So if you make some nails in the mine right next to the tree area, then cut trees, make planks and then create a large cart (better than small one) you can load this with planks and drag it outside the HL Village where you will see many other new players have built their small homesteads on "Haven's Landing perimeter", which you can do as well. Actually I did see you out there the other day while on my alt guy (waved at you but no response) behind the New Players House up the hill just a bit, so you could build a house anywhere around there. Also if you would have responded and told me of your food problem I would have gone to my place nearby and cooked up a meal or two for you. Only problem is if you log out with them in your inventory when you log in again they will immediately decay away if sufficient time has passed. A few other players that live around there would help you out in this respect as well.

The point I am making here is that staying at Haven's Landing and building on the perimeter is a great spot to learn the game since every thing you need is right there available, except animals to kill for meat which you don't really need anyway to start off since you can make breakfasts with just 1 vegetable, or even casseroles when your skill is a bit higher. There is also a clay digging area inside the HL Village that you can use if you want to create a number of bowls to train HFC. This is on the other side of the hedge below the woodcutting section and you have to find your way around to that lower level. Also, some of the houses in HL Village have beds in them that anyone can use so initially you don't even need to create your own bed to sleep in for building up "Sleep Bonus".

As for this comment. If using the old method of 1 bowl in the oven, filling the oven with vegetables, removing the cooked breakfast and dragging the next item into the bowl, it will not cook into a breakfast for 3-5 minutes, whereas before the update it would immediately cook into a breakfast, thus making this *current* way to raise HFC very time consuming. So now it is better to make many bowls, fill them all with 1 vegetable and drop them all into the oven at the same time. Then when they do cook into breakfasts you will get HFC skill gains from the total number of them at once (like the old panfilling method which is now the best way to go). Then just *remove all the bowls*, take the breakfasts out, refill and then put back into the oven so that they will all cook at the same time again (aprox 3-5 mins later).

Anyway, if you stick around that area I will probably see you when playing my alts there. So pay attention to the "Local" chat tab if you want to interact with others when they attempt to speak with you. Generally the current players are helpful to the newer ones but I prefer not to be too pushy and do everything for them out of good intentions. Hopefully once you get the food situation sorted out better you will feel more at ease and continue to enjoy the other aspects of the game.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Ayes, I do appreciate you posting this, if not for myself (90% of what you wrote I knew already at the time of my OP). Surely this will help someone else who had some of my concerns :)  Also to anyone who has actually read this entire thread, I'm doing better. I have 1 cart now, am testing farming, have a bit of a "food routine" going. My hfc skill is still pretty low, but it's going, slowly up. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Anarres said:

As you can see above, I think you may misunderstand what Ayes meant. :) It's only that if you have one bowl, then you have to have one to cook, then drop other ingredients, then let them heat and so on. It's nothing new, nothing changed. Not an artificial stop of skill gain, just how it works in practice.

Sounds like you are right! :D

9 hours ago, Cynlanton said:

Ayes, I do appreciate you posting this, if not for myself (90% of what you wrote I knew already at the time of my OP). Surely this will help someone else who had some of my concerns :)

Whenever I make a response to another that contains what I consider to be useful information I always think in the terms that you stated, that being it may be helpful to others who read it as well. This is the nice thing about posting and reading the forums. Great to read that you are doing much better now and I hope you enjoyed the meal that some kind soul gave to you. *winks*

=Ayes=

Glad you're doing well, and it's coming together - for what it's worth, the cooking / feeding thing gets a lot easier quite quickly, once you've got a small farm going and some basic cooking skills.  You'll quickly get to the point where you produce more food than you can eat.

My personal recommendation would be to invest a few silver in a decent weapon and some armour (go for a 2-hander and studded leather), as they take a fair bit of effort to make yourself when you're new, and they'll massively increase your survivability.  You don't need something super-amazing, 70-80ql is fine, and there are plenty of folks providing those for cheap.  You can make your own, of course, but unless you were planning to grind the relevant skills yourself anyway, it'll be time you have to spend doing something other than what you actually want to, and you'll still have to spend a load of effort before you produce decent stuff anyway.

Well, 2 days after being totally alarmed by my current food issues, I'm about to build 2 fenced in areas to prep for building my first teeny tiny house, and a pen for animals that I'm hoping to acquire soon. Food is still problematic at times, but once I can actually sleep for Sleep Bonus points (in my very own bed - very bad lock with the only public bed in Havens Landing.). I plan to save up some SB points for HFC skill. Hopefully, will have enough SB points by this weekend to really go full on with that skill

Sleep bonus helps, but you don't need it - once you've got a small field fenced and planted, and your newbie shack built (start with a 1x1, you only need 5 carpentry for that), you can get on with foraging and botanizing everything in sight, then use the produce to practice cooking (and feed yourself), and the bank the windfall coins for later shopping or deeding.  Early skilling (i.e. up to 20 or 30) is really quick anyway, so SB is more of a nice to have than a basic requirement.