Sign in to follow this  
Cynlanton

New Player...Stuck, Lost and Confused - Lots of Answers

Update 3: I'm doing much better. Thanks to the awesome replies in this thread, the practical tips I got from some new friends in-game, and the latest help of some awesome food that shows me what I can look forward to around level 30 hfc.  

Update 2: I posted this main post, and a couple of others, an hour ago today. I've gotten some really practical, helpful responses. Thank you, folks, for taking the time! Also, health mechanics..gosh how confusing. So apparently, I am not a screwed as I thought. Rather then go into detail, I'm going to spend some time in game today and consider my ACTUAL options.

Update: realized I should say my location. Not that I had a choice in the matter. Server: Independence.  Area: Haven Landing.

I am a BRAND new player, as of this last Friday (4/19). So far I am liking the game, but there are some glaring problems.....

I've read tons of info on the Wiki, but apparently, the Guides area when it comes to health is really, really outdated. On other topics, the Wiki has been really great.

1. Can't survive on low level fish and low level garbage recipes. The harvesting time required for the massive quantity needed guarantees starvation within 1-2 days.

2. Actual meat (beef, fish (from fillets, not the early level fish), pork, seafood and chicken are required, and even that isn't enough, because the recipe levels are too low.

3. And on that note, where the hell are the animals? I've seen a wolf, a couple of spiders, and a cow. And a baby chicken. Most new players seem to be doing meat and pumpkins. WHERE IS THE MEAT coming from?

4. I have no idea what I should be doing first to combat this massive health issue. At this point, I can't cut down trees, or craft for longer then a minute or 2. 

5. Sustainability might be improved by building a couple of fields and a home / bed to sleep in. But the mats required to do EVEN THAT is next to impossible. House require silver, which I don't have, and time to craft that I don't have because I am too busy trying to feed myself.

Any advice for me? I want to like Wurm a LOT, but this newbie experience is pretty awful.

Edited by Cynlanton
Updates

You can butcher (with a butchering knife) many kinds of animals and they will have meat inside of their corpses.

I would recommend you to join a newbie friendly village. You will learn a lot faster by playing with other people.

Just stick around, beginning is always difficult. The game will become a lot more awarding and addicting later on!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bittereinder said:

You can butcher (with a butchering knife) many kinds of animals and they will have meat inside of their corpses.

I would recommend you to join a newbie friendly village. You will learn a lot faster by playing with other people.

Just stick around, beginning is always difficult. The game will become a lot more awarding and addicting later on!

I know about butchering already, and as my post clearly states, I don't know where the animals are. 

Newbie village. Ok, should I post in the Recruitment forum, or what?

The animals can spawn at almost any tile on the map.

Perhaps they are easier to spot/find on smaller servers due to the server size.

Yeah, go to the recruitment forum or try one of the in game chats.

Basically, you can forage and botanize on grass tiles. A basic casserolle can be made from any veg (pumpkin for high quantity) and some berry both got from foraging and botanizing. That will give you not only satiation, but also a relatively good nutrition level. Learn better cooking later. If you just eat raw food from foraging your nutrition level will stay around 11 percent, but your satiation will be full, for that eating 1 pumpkin suffices.

And you may erect a house and build pens around it without planting a deed, at least on free territory. No silver necessary for that step.

To get meat, pull a not too strong (that it does not kill you on pursuit) mob into the range of a guard tower, then say "help" or "guards!", and the guards will come and kill it. You may participate in the battle. That way I even killed trolls as a beginner.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum

4 days in, yeah I know about foraging. I haven't actually eaten a pumpkin however. And casseroles, for your info, require meat, which brings me back to the issue with FINDING animals. 

However, it's clear I need to find some cotton, so that I can heal with damage I may incur from hunting animals, because health regen is going to suck. 

Here is  how I stay fed on a brand new character:

1) Ignore fishing. Used to be great newbie advice but no longer is . I invested the materials needed for a fishing net ("the easy fishing system")  and grew to really really regret the time and resources I had put into that. You need iron, ropemaking, tailoring,  wemp, cotton, you'll probably ruin the first wemps you find making a rope, and anything you catch is going to be so freaking tiny that even dozens of fish will not fill you up. Leave that for once you are a better established character.  Fishing can be handy later.  

2) Focus just on foraging/botanizing, the new essential beginner skill. That probably means you need to get farther from spawn area if there are other players.  I like shoreline meadows as a way to avoid most predators  by swimming out a ways if needed (anacondas, bears and crocs are still a great danger, and anacondas have a ferocious aggro range and chase you  a huge way)  I like to keep most cotton/wemp/pumpkin/vegetable seeds for a garden, and instead use berries and mushrooms as the "bulk" of my casseroles. You can't use a berry and a mushroom together but you can use a berry+herb, mushroom+herb, to make a casserole. I try to use up first the herbs I cannot turn into herb garden planters, ie nettles and sasssafras and maybe a couple others. Herb planters are useful because you can eventually over time make not only food but also a constant source of lightweight rosemary+lovage healing covers (I think 16 effective rating) which will be very handy later.  So I like to keep my most useful herbs if possible.  I make up at least 5-6 clay bowls because I don;t want to stuff everthing together and lose the criticial skill gains, so only 1-2 items in a bowl. A BREAKFAST is even better than a casserole and can actually be made using only ONE ingredient in some cases; you'll need a lot of breakfasts but each one should give a tiny amount of hot food cooking skill.  Once I get to 10 Hot Food Cooking, it all seems to get a little easier.  One problem is that, according to Ayes, you won;t get skillup anymore if you cook meals too close together in time, suggesting there might be a 5 minute "cooldown" between times you can earn skill. A new player can;t be making a campfire every 5 minutes and often does not yet have an oven or "cooking setup". 

3) Some people suggest hunting and eating raw meat. I think that depends a lot on you and the server you are on. I don't really do much hunting at first as without horse riding / carts, even wolves have good odds of severe wounds that I can't recover easily from, though I do go after rats cats pigs calves ewes cows and bulls. Other players suggest a target dummy and spening the first  hours building up fighting skill with a shaft, but that really is very very boring.  Luring stuff to guards can be a great way to get meat, but you mention not seeing any wildlife.  Sometimes you also find corpses of animals that died from age. 

4) If it is not too dangerous, pick a religion, any religion,  and pray up to 10 Faith, then use any rare items you find to "Sacrifice" as this completely fills hunger bar at maximum. .

Is this on WO or on WU?  

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 3

If you're still close to the starter town Haven's Landing there's a bartender who will feed you for your first 24 hours playtime. Also there are fields where you can harvest cotton and foods for your needs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Explora said:

If you're still close to the starter town Haven's Landing there's a bartender who will feed you for your first 24 hours playtime. Also there are fields where you can harvest cotton and foods for your needs.

I am a couple of days past the first 24 hours. And wow, I seem to be telling everyone that I'm an idiot.

I have been foraging/harvesting/crafting/killing mobs for 3 days now. That part of the equation is understood. If ONLY that was the actual problem.

10 hours ago, Cynlanton said:

And casseroles, for your info, require meat

Actually they don't though learning what foods will work together and what will not, takes some time.  Mushrooms and berries are both handy  but not together, for example, so never put those two into the same bowl.  Together they won't cook at all into anything. That's not very intuitive but much of the game is not. Rice and eggs are pretty useless at the start so don;t waste time making items including those even if "logic" suggests they must be "healthy". Cooking rice takes more bother than it is worth unless you love being a Chef. If examining LORE on a bowl with items wants you to add anything beyond an herb or a vegetable, it's probably not what you want to be making at this early stage.  Breakfasts are dev's gift to newbies. 

You can put a single vegetable or meat into a bowl and make a Breakfast but this is going to trash it's Quality rating until you get better cooking skill. It may be worth it though FOR the cooking skill. I make Potato Breakfasts with a single potato once I have a little garden going, to raise HFC skill rather than for food value. Add a few cows/sheep for cheese and within 7-14 days or so you can make 10Q cheese and pumpkin Breakfasts in sufficient number to keep you  easily well fed at about 75% green nutrition bar, with most of your day free for homestead chores. Ayes suggests there also is a cap on skill points gained in a single 5 minute session, which makes it harder since you probably don't want to stop and cook one tiny dish once every 5 minutes, so hot food cooking skill may rise slowly if you are trying to cook once a day.  I would not bother with "Meals" until you are over 20 skill as you won't gain skill from combinations that are too complex or difficult. If you add tons of items into one breakfast, it will help CCFP ratings but have so high a difficulty you won't gain skill.  Pizzas with assorted chopped toppings can be fun and worthwhile once you get past 20-30 HFC, especially since their difficulty is capped at a flat 40 so adding tons more stuff does not raise the difficulty; this is when you can start getting those CCFP bars easily filled up. Proteins are a good early choice to focus on since they slow how fast your hunger bar drops.  If you do any hunting at all, things are even rosier, but it can be hard/dangerous hunting without a horse or a cart unless you have wildlife lounging around a guard tower. I assume though all newbie spawn areas are hunted clean out. Once you are more mobile (20.10 Mind Logic for a large cart with horses) you can explore a bit more on the road system and probably find a tower guard with wildlife nearby.  It's just a matter of getting through those initial 7-14 days, since a lot of what you initially forage needs to get "invested" back into your garden as seeds.   

And never forget Wurm's Golden Rule: Everything Is Easier When You Work Together.  Even if you are a self sufficient individualist, consider joining a village at least for a few weeks to learn the ropes and meet people, or team up with other new players and split up the jobs by each specializing in a couple. If one person is in charge of organizing foraging, farming and food supply, the other can focus on mining, tools or structures. You can then more easily go out and be a total monk hermit once you have some experience under your belt. I am a solo generalist  Jack Of Trades type but one reason my "third and maybe last try" at Wurm back in 2011 went rather well, was because I spent the first 30 days in a village that allowed me to run around and experiment with anything I wanted. Some villages will expect you to repay them and "work for your keep"  with a lot of soul crushing monotonous work (digging holes and making bricks all day) but many will not and allow you to be a free spirit, so be sure to understand expectations of each side before you join any group. 

I do however agree that this whole process is extremely frustrating and joy-killing for a brand new player in their first week or so and overwhelmed by the details. Experienced players can get through "first days" on new characters very easily because they understand the game enough to do it in their sleep. For first time players, you are in a constant daze and wasting a lot of time on non productive activities (though if those activities are ENJOYABLE, they are still worth it.)  In the other thread, I suggest maybe they should extend the newbie buffs from 24 to 48 or even 72 hours to give new players time to acclimate, without affecting the "challenge" of the game for more established players.  

I understand the need for the massive changes in Cooking and Fishing and I agree with the philosophy behind those two changes but changes did make the new player situation significantly worse. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

<snip>

Is this on WO or on WU?  

Thank you so much for that write-up! Yes, I wasted huge amounts of time messing with fishing, which I should have used for foraging.  I also really like your  notes about gardening. Can I start a garden without a deed, so long as I am with the Havens Landing perimeter? I've wanted to start a garden, but was unclear about the requirements.

Also, I do not know how to answer your question, as I do not know what WO or WU means.

If you are near new haven, it is WO (Wurm Online). WU (Wurm Unlimited) is the steam version and had tweaks you can make at least to a singleplayer experience.

You can make a garden in the perimeter of New Haven, you will want a wood fence and a LOCKED GATE to keep other players from raiding it. 

Remember that houses and fences in New Haven perimeter can decay so as you get time & skill, improve each fence or wall up to 10-20Q else you spend a ton of time on repairs. Check often to stay aware if they are taking decay, decay goes faster as it gets higher so don't wait too long to start repairing and then improving.  Wurm is all about constantly improving stuff so that it is more durable, more efficient, etc.

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

If you are near new haven, it is WO (Wurm Online). WU (Wurm Unlimited) is the steam version and had tweaks you can make at least to a singleplayer experience.

You can make a garden in the perimeter of New Haven, you will want a wood fence and a LOCKED GATE to keep other players from raiding it. 

LOL got it..Fence and locked gate. I can make those items. And yes, I am in Haven Landing. As I think it's called? And I did not do this through Steam, so to answer your question, WO.

10 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

actually they don't though learning what foods will work together and what will not, takes some time.

Mushrooms and berries are both handy  but not together, for example.  Together they won't cook at all into anything. That's not very intuitive but much of the game is not.

You can put a single vegetable into a bowl and I think make a Breakfast but this is going to trash it's Quality rating until you get better cooking skill. I make Potato Breakfasts with a single potato once I have a little garden going, to raise HFc skill. 

I do however agree that this whole process is extremely frustrating and joy-killing for a brand new player. In the other thread, I suggest maybe they should extend the newbie buffs from 24 to 48 or even 72 hours to give new players time to acclimate, without affecting the "challenge" of the game for more established players. 

I understand the need for the changes in Cooking and Fishing but it did make the new player situation significantly worse. 

Me bad about making that statement about Casseroles. I most certainly have been cooking incorrectly, at least part of the time. For sure, I have used both mushroom and berries in the same meal. However, I've realized (thank you to the post replies that pushed me to log into the game today and test a couple of things), that things are not as dire as I thought. For one thing, I'm getting a random, weird error message when I try to cut down trees. This error made me believe that my ability to do things (craft, attack, walk) was dwindling over time. Several folks were kind enough to point out that is in fact, not going to happen.  Sure, health regen is going to suck for a few days, but I can deal with that, I think. WTB cotton and cover herbs, heh. 

And yes, I agree that 72 hours is enough time to get "set up". 24, not at all. I'm talking brand new players here, not alt's. I've played other games where the FIRST character on an account gets all sorts of newbie perks to help them get acclimated.

• Like 1

What error do you get when you try to cut down trees? A brand new player without any skills should be able to cut down trees.

A big tip would actually be to activate your sword and use that when you cut down trees - it will give you some skill in that also (which helps the fighting later on).

10 minutes ago, Nordlys said:

What error do you get when you try to cut down trees? A brand new player without any skills should be able to cut down trees.

A big tip would actually be to activate your sword and use that when you cut down trees - it will give you some skill in that also (which helps the fighting later on).

Arg. Fighting skill. I been wondering about that. That is a good and practical tip, thanks! Also the error is that I am too "weak" to cut down a tree. However, I have confirmed that:

It's only on ceder trees (all my crafting has been around ceder, just to keep things simple (plus I was making some chests). And it's not ALL ceder trees, which I confirmed a few minutes ago.  

In addition: Yes I know all about what woods do what perks. I know ceder is good for chests, and that willow is good for fishing poles, and oak is good for something else. I just was focusing on ceder since I was busy with the chest thing, to keep things simple in my inventory. My main carpentry level is now like..7? Heh.

Going to test out a bow sometime in the next couple of days, and will be making oak arrow shafts, assuming my spot for oak trees is not a popular one.

Edited by Cynlanton

23 minutes ago, Cynlanton said:

Arg. Fighting skill. I been wondering about that. That is a good and practical tip, thanks! Also the error is that I am too "weak" to cut down a tree. However, I have confirmed that:

It's only on ceder trees (all my crafting has been around ceder, just to keep things simple (plus I was making some chests). And it's not ALL ceder trees, which I confirmed a few minutes ago.  

In addition: Yes I know all about what woods do what perks. I know ceder is good for chests, and that willow is good for fishing poles, and oak is good for something else. I just was focusing on ceder since I was busy with the chest thing, to keep things simple in my inventory. My main carpentry level is now like..7? Heh.

Going to test out a bow sometime in the next couple of days, and will be making oak arrow shafts, assuming my spot for oak trees is not a popular one.

Im online now. Feel free to throw me a /tell (same name ingame). If only just to talk loosly about wurm stuff. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cynlanton said:

*yada yada..*

1. Can't survive on low level fish and low level garbage recipes. The harvesting time required for the massive quantity needed guarantees starvation within 1-2 days.

2. Actual meat (beef, fish (from fillets, not the early level fish), pork, seafood and chicken are required, and even that isn't enough, because the recipe levels are too low.

3. And on that note, where the hell are the animals? I've seen a wolf, a couple of spiders, and a cow. And a baby chicken. Most new players seem to be doing meat and pumpkins. WHERE IS THE MEAT coming from?

4. I have no idea what I should be doing first to combat this massive health issue. At this point, I can't cut down trees, or craft for longer then a minute or 2. 

5. Sustainability might be improved by building a couple of fields and a home / bed to sleep in. But the mats required to do EVEN THAT is next to impossible. House require silver, which I don't have, and time to craft that I don't have because I am too busy trying to feed myself.

Any advice for me? I want to like Wurm a LOT, but this newbie experience is pretty awful.

1 nah

2 your skill sucks at first => low skill + low ql items to cook -> terrible food.. and nutrition..

3 explore further..

4 forage/botanize for:

- food(to eat), bonus tip: pumpkins/mushrooms - both have good amount of weight... eating these raw could be better option for a complete new char... as it fills your hunger bar more... eventually learn how to get some hot-food-cooking skill(ask in ca-help chat or google/wiki for tips/guides)

- herbs(food and healing covers for bad wounds),

- COTTON - you could use this.... to heal when you get hurt.. bandage directly with cotton, than apply healing cover if needed.. until you can afford a magical weapon that leeches back health.. your best friend is a cotton ball - I'M NOT JOKING.

5 house requires silver? really?

- no.. deeding a place costs silver.. you can build a house on free land.. there are some penalties for that.. mainly decay and some volume loss from containers.. but that's it.. you can have a castle in the middle of nowhere.. build on free land.. - completely free, limited to your skill/time/imagination/..

6 - tips.. hm...

- find a place with WATER,

- maybe clay/tar or at least know the location of at least clay.. it's useful to.. make a forge/oven/etc... (tar you could get from coalpiles.. for fueling lamps.. it's good lazy fuel for light sources, etc..)

- forest - useful for logs/foraging/botanizing/harvesting fruits/nuts from trees when they are in season...

- MOUNTAIN... or a mine.. close by.. for stone/iron/etc.. metals.. to build anything you could need.

Your first problem is finding several kg of iron to make a small-anvil, than some large-nails, you need a TON of planks... to make a tiny shed.. and you'll need a bit of time... to make your very first DOOR LOCK.. prevents trolls from invading and killing you...

Building a fence around your house with at least 2 locked gates.. is useful when something waits for you to go out... or you want to get to safety - your yard will help you chill and have some more space where you could work on whatever you find interesting to do.

BONUS TIP.. if you want the harsh 'normal' difficulty.. keep playing as you are;

If you want to try 'easy mode', check forums or ask in FREEDOM, or GL-FREEDOM channel.. if anybody/any village is looking for new villagers..(you could join somebody's village and help or do your own things there, all depends from new place's rules, you're than a guest after all..)

happy wurming and try to die less often.. you lose a ton of skill every time..

2 hours ago, Cynlanton said:

Also the error is that I am too "weak" to cut down a tree. 

When your food bar drops down to a sliver you will sometimes get a message you are too hungry to do certain physical actions. Mining and cutting trees are probably the major ones, a lot of other activities are not affected.  For a brief period you need to find a few less labor intensive tasks, as that means you are about to "fast" (burn up a fat layer) at which point your hunger bar will suddenly fill all the way up, but at a 20% nutritional hit and a lost layer of body fat. If you fast enough times you will use up all your fat layers and no longer be able to refill your bar. At that point, you can no longer "recover" by fasting. . Most everyone here has had fasting happen on occasion although it is not something you want to do consistently or for long periods of time, but assuming normally you are in decent nutritional shape than an occasional  fast now and then does little harm. Most of us though can also build that back up pretty easily once we get 'home' again and eating regularly.

You can "Examine": yourself and it should give an idea what your overall body fat level is:

• only skin and bones
  • very thin
  • a bit under nourished
  • normal build
  • well defined
  • a bit round
  • extremely well nourished
  • good reserves of fat

More info on that here:

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Starvation   

https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Nutrition

Sometimes you will also get a message that you cannot do certain things, such as flatten or level a tile or continuing mining, that actually have nothing to do with hunger or physical condition; it may be something like a bush alongside the tile you want to level, or you are mining in an area that is getting too close to the surface. You'll want to copy the EXACT message word for word  (copy paste from event window is good)  then you can post in this thread and ask or sometimes search to find out why that action is disallowed. 

It may have beeen some other issues a few times that you were thinking were due to hunger, but were not.

You don't need silver to make a house, as said above, worth emphasizing. You may want to check out this or other pages on the wiki when you decide to make a house: https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Guides:Build_house

A fence is useful. A chest is fine, but look up in the wiki for a cart, small or large, you might find it even more useful, since you can also move it around, and it acts like a container for stuff you want to keep.

Cooking is a problem at start. Frankly, if I started now, I would do one of two things, or both:

- make 10-15 or 20 if you can stand it, pottery bowls, and make breakfasts in them. A single foraged (eatable) thing should work just fine, for each breakfast. Until you get some 10-20 "hot food cooking" skill, or around that. You want to forage and botanize first, a big-ish reserve of stuffs, then cook away. After skill goes up some bit, I would make a frying pan and make a meal (meat+veggie, plus any veggie/herbs you have) to eat. That meal should start to feed you...

- I would ask players in Freedom chat for a conversion to a god. Once someone converts you, you're a follower, pray at an altar 5 times a day, and you get to 10 faith. At that point, you can sacrifice rare items you surely find, for a 99% (best!) nutrition and full refill of food and water, it's just excellent until later.

And a 3rd thing I would do is: (or first :)

- join a village. There are villages inviting new players gladly, and it means a huge lot to learn the basics AND to have a safe place from aggressive mobs. You can stay or leave to make your own wurmlife anytime after.

About a comment above: you can get skill in hot food cooking for stuff cooking in the same time, you don't need to wait minutes.

Edit: I keep forgetting this, but I think it's worth trying: you can kill a sheep or pig or rat, and forage a branch. Then, activate branch and right click the unbutchered corpse, you will see you can create a "spit". Put it in a campfire to roast. Done, something to eat with meat (yes, you will find mobs, you can go on a highway a bit further away).

Edited by Anarres
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Anarres said:

About a comment above: you can get skill in hot food cooking for stuff cooking in the same time, you don't need to wait minutes.

I haven't tested and though I started in WO, I am on WU these past few years so I was taking Aye's word here on that as Ayes usually has good info plus it matches a few other game mechanics of the type. Sounded like they were maybe trying to bust up the classic WO 'bulk HFC mass skillup" (100 frypans each in 100 forges, and hiring someone else to fill pans to gain 50 or more points of skill in mere minutes).   No idea myself how it works on WO any more so I'll let the WO veterans argue that one out :) Much of WO/WU are very similar but they can often have striking differences on relatively minor things. One reason it is helpful to get input from different players is they can often have different insights (sometimes conflicting).   Never yet met a Wurm player who was 100 percent right, 100 percent of the time. 

In WU, I tend to use 5-8 clay bowls at a time, get them started then do a few other tasks and come back and repeat. This seems to work fine for me, but I am not sure if  doing one at a time consecutively will have different results. New Player Tip: You can hit F2 key to monitor and check if you are getting skill gains or not, or you can set in Settings for all skill gains to show on your interface and not just whole number integers. Someplace under TEXT settings I think. I don't like to focus too much on numbers myself but it is helpful if you want to reassure yourself you are not wasting time with some inefficient mechanics.

Also, if you're finding the area around the starter deed on Indy crowded or hunted out, you can use the teleport thingy to go (one time) to another server.  Ask around for which servers are less populated, just avoid Xanadu.

A little tip I found handy when starting out:

Push meditation up to 20 ASAP, path of love.  It solves 90% of food issues.

56 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

A little tip I found handy when starting out:

Push meditation up to 20 ASAP, path of love.  It solves 90% of food issues.

for a BRAND new player, getting a proper meditation rug and that level of mediation also means being out of food issues.

it really is the very first days that massively try to kill starve you because food even in proper quantities feed badly.

Cynlanton,

Staying at Haven's Landing for some time is a good idea as it has many things that you will need right there. There is an iron mine in the Village with forge and fuel so you can craft nails for building a small/large cart which you can then pull/drag around with you. If you take off all your leather armor you can them move a lot faster and you really won't need to wear it anyway if you stay close to the Village. There are also 2 guard towers close enough to call for guards help if any mob wanders near there, which they rarely do. There is also a farm in HL Village that anyone can use to plant/grow vegetables/cotton/wemp. It is right near the Village exit next to those large Portals. Most of it is already planted out with these various items but before you harvest anything use "examine" on the field and don't harvest unless it is "ripe" as you will get poor QL and less items. Then be sure to replant the tile for a continued supply for all.

If you take that exit out of the Village you will see on your right a "New Players House" and outside of it on the highway there is an Oven with a bin next to it that has fuel items to burn. There is a well a few tiles from that for water. Inside that house there is a forge you can use with a bin next to it with various items and fuel in it. There is also a Food Bin in the house that sometimes has food items in it. If you harvest extra ripe crops you could drop them in there for others to use or come back for them later if others don't use them as the house is free for all to pickup items.

Also, inside the HL Village there is a "Bartender" in the central area that will give you free food/water for first 24hrs playtime by clicking on it. In that central area there is also a Woodcutting section where you can chop down trees. There are some cedars in there close to the hedge border that are sort of bugged and you will get the message that "you are too weak to cut them" (or some such message) so this may be what you experienced if you were cutting trees in that area. If so just move further away from the hedge a few rows and you can cut trees, although they may not be cedars there as every thing seems to spawn in random sections of varieties.

So if you make some nails in the mine right next to the tree area, then cut trees, make planks and then create a large cart (better than small one) you can load this with planks and drag it outside the HL Village where you will see many other new players have built their small homesteads on "Haven's Landing perimeter", which you can do as well. Actually I did see you out there the other day while on my alt guy (waved at you but no response) behind the New Players House up the hill just a bit, so you could build a house anywhere around there. Also if you would have responded and told me of your food problem I would have gone to my place nearby and cooked up a meal or two for you. Only problem is if you log out with them in your inventory when you log in again they will immediately decay away if sufficient time has passed. A few other players that live around there would help you out in this respect as well.

The point I am making here is that staying at Haven's Landing and building on the perimeter is a great spot to learn the game since every thing you need is right there available, except animals to kill for meat which you don't really need anyway to start off since you can make breakfasts with just 1 vegetable, or even casseroles when your skill is a bit higher. There is also a clay digging area inside the HL Village that you can use if you want to create a number of bowls to train HFC. This is on the other side of the hedge below the woodcutting section and you have to find your way around to that lower level. Also, some of the houses in HL Village have beds in them that anyone can use so initially you don't even need to create your own bed to sleep in for building up "Sleep Bonus".

18 hours ago, Anarres said:

As for this comment. If using the old method of 1 bowl in the oven, filling the oven with vegetables, removing the cooked breakfast and dragging the next item into the bowl, it will not cook into a breakfast for 3-5 minutes, whereas before the update it would immediately cook into a breakfast, thus making this *current* way to raise HFC very time consuming. So now it is better to make many bowls, fill them all with 1 vegetable and drop them all into the oven at the same time. Then when they do cook into breakfasts you will get HFC skill gains from the total number of them at once (like the old panfilling method which is now the best way to go). Then just *remove all the bowls*, take the breakfasts out, refill and then put back into the oven so that they will all cook at the same time again (aprox 3-5 mins later).

Anyway, if you stick around that area I will probably see you when playing my alts there. So pay attention to the "Local" chat tab if you want to interact with others when they attempt to speak with you. Generally the current players are helpful to the newer ones but I prefer not to be too pushy and do everything for them out of good intentions. Hopefully once you get the food situation sorted out better you will feel more at ease and continue to enjoy the other aspects of the game.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

• Like 2