Sign in to follow this  
Oblivionnreaver

A warning for first time using unlocked carts

This is something i've seen pop up quite a lot in ca help since every newbie starts at havens landing, people take unlocked carts then get confused when they lose access to the cart, due to owner locking or driving onto a deed and disembarking. A warning when unlocking/embarking on an unlocked cart similar to the one you get when you first drop an item explaining that unowned/unlocked carts aren't secure and can be lost at any time, along with any items inside and animals hitched would help explain the mechanics to newer players before they lose their stuff and get frustrated.

• Like 4

I'd rather carts be unable to be used if not locked, and then the problem would slowly fade away.  Increase decay on offdeed unlocked vehicles if needed to counter spam from people that don't play anymore.  Carts are so much easier to make as noobs these days that there isn't really an excuse, and if it's still too difficult, then maybe it should be made easier

• Like 2

A warning in event makes sense, similar to the warning for offdeed house planning, or even replacing that one. Or a dialog box, like dropping warning, as suggested.

• Like 1

A warning of this sort in Event tab is a good idea, to be done somehow I have no idea. Other than that it is never a good idea to use "unlocked" carts, wagons, ships anyway since they can also be "re-locked" remotely by the owner through settings from any location on the server. If people want others to use their no longer needed items like this they should just remove the lock. Still, this wont help with items trapped on deeds as noted in the OP.

=Ayes=

16 hours ago, Ayes said:

Other than that it is never a good idea to use "unlocked" carts, wagons, ships anyway since they can also be "re-locked" remotely by the owner through settings from any location on the server. If people want others to use their no longer needed items like this they should just remove the lock.

"Unlocked" carts, ships, usually means exactly without lock. Can't lock remotely since it has no lock.

The only exception afaik is when ships become "with a lock which is unlocked" at some server crossings, and that's a rare bug.

When people want to give everyone permissions on locked vehicles, they can and do so, and those locked, with permissions set to everyone, don't get stuck on deeds.

Those unlocked, as in "it has no lock", get stuck on deeds, and it would be nice to give a warning to the wannabe-new-user.

Edited by Anarres

16 hours ago, Anarres said:

"Unlocked" carts, ships, usually means exactly without lock. Can't lock remotely since it has no lock.

Maybe to you this is what "unlocked" means but it is plainly explained within my post that is not what I meant. Have you ever opened a door that has a lock on it (within the handle)? Why is this possible? Because it is "unlocked". Since the Profile tab has the ability to manage carts/wagons/ships on it if they are "unlocked" in this manner they can be "re-locked" remotely, as I stated.

=Ayes=

Can't this be solved in another way... 

You can unload a crate in perimeter and push it into some deed/house(arched walls), you KEEP OWNERSHIP OF THAT CONTAINER, no matter of deed or house permissions..  or that you were unable to un/load on the deed land or inside that house.(this is a thing..)

You just got off the cart... why do you lose ownership of something you just used?(I get that it's w/o a lock and you may or may not be the creator of the cart, and w/o a lock.. etc etc etc...)

Yet... could it be tracked in a similar to the crate manner letting the player manage it's cart?

Deed permission in this case makes NO sense, it's weird to be able to stop there and lose ownership of your vehicle ?

Same thing happens if you kill a mob on somebody's deeded land.. and you're unable to take the body/butcher and loot the parts....(insignificant.. but nubs starve a lot faster... frustration multiplier.. with deed wogics)

?

--edit

In addition doesn't this already work for unbranded/untamed horses you disembark from .. on deeded lands?

I'm almost sure you can disembark and still lead your mount.

Not sure if Crated animals work like this .. but probably.. else that's just another thing that needs to be fixed.. eventually.. (so far I think I've only unloaded horses offdeed, too lazy to test this atm)

Edited by Finnn
edit

5 hours ago, Ayes said:

Maybe to you this is what "unlocked" means but it is plainly explained within my post that is not what I meant. Have you ever opened a door that has a lock on it (within the handle)? Why is this possible? Because it is "unlocked". Since the Profile tab has the ability to manage carts/wagons/ships on it if they are "unlocked" in this manner they can be "re-locked" remotely, as I stated.

That's only buildings. Not vehicles. If you unlock a ship, it gives you the lock.

It remains without lock, and you can't lock remotely since the lock is in your inventory.

Tried it just now:

Right click ship > unlock:

[04:14:17] You unlock the "Mature Slow Knarr".

It gave me the lock in inventory. The knarr remained without lock:

[04:15:29] A ship with a clinker-built hull assembled with iron rivets, and one mast with a square yard sail. In insufficient wind it is rowed with oars. The side rudder is on the starboard side. Wood  colors: r=128, g=28, b=28. Sail colors: r=128, g=28, b=28. It is made from cedarwood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 88.3887, Dam: 0.0. It is moored here. The name of the owner, Amath, has been etched in the stern.

"Manage ships" menu now doesn't allow to manage permissions on this knarr.

4 hours ago, Anarres said:

you can't lock remotely since the lock is in your inventory.

I will agree with you that I should have defined what I meant with the term "unlocked" in quotes, specifically that the cart/wagon still had a lock on it but the permissions were set so that "everyone" had access to use it. As I was diverging off topic into a different circumstance pertaining to carts/wagons this could contribute to misunderstanding my point.

To clarify, I was *warning* not to use random "found" carts/wagons with a lock on them with various permissions set that allowed "everyone" to use them since the owner of the cart/wagon could at any time for any reason remove these permissions "remotely" through their Profile and then whatever items are inside of it are then "trapped" within it so that the user could not longer take them out or even drag the cart/wagon. Possibly they could not "unhitch" their horses from it either (not sure).

On 4/29/2019 at 12:18 AM, Anarres said:

with permissions set to everyone, don't get stuck on deeds.

So under the circumstances I just described "permissions set to everyone" won't help one bit since they have been removed and no longer apply! With this in mind I would *never* use a random "found" cart/wagon with a lock on it but I would have no problems with using a cart/wagon without a lock on it since I would just keep it off other's deeds. Then they can be handy to use (carts without locks on them) either on one's own deed or on free/perimeter lands by newer/old players.

Knowledge is the key here for newer players to "unlock" the best ways to safely play and enjoy the game. Yes, mistakes will be made while learning the game but it would be hard to protect the newer players from all of them, which is why spending some time reading these forums is very helpful to those ends. Hopefully I have cleared up any confusion with my previous statements for those concerned. That's not to say I won't create more (confusion) in the future.

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Remove the unlock feature. Why is it even an option when we have a whole permissions system. Locking something should claim ownership of it and unlocking it should remove ownership. That solves all the problems. This way if someone leaves an unlocked cart and a new player takes it and adds a lock it becomes their cart.