Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

Iron Mine Door

Strangely lacking in game is an Iron Mine Door. I am thinking it should be easier to create than the Steel/Silver/Gold Mine Doors using the same Blacksmithing skill. Say 10 Iron Sheets (not in game?), 35 Rivets and a Door Lock. Also should be stronger than a Wood and Rock Mine Door with some interesting design similar to the other metal mine doors. Improves easier with the Blacksmithing skill than the other metal ones too, with iron of course.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes
?
  • Like 1

Agreed, but should be  slightly more prone to decay.

make it easier to bash than silver (which is weaker than steel)  then it is fine. iron makes sense for a minedoor. 

Yes, the qualities of an Iron Mine Door should be a step up from stone and less than the other metal doors. Although I do think it should be stronger than a silver mine door. Here's to hoping that Devs do the right thing and add an Iron Mine Door to the game.

=Ayes=

silver mine door is only about %20 less durable than steel mine door and pretty hard to make compared to what iron would be. 

10 hours ago, Maiev said:

silver mine door is only about %20 less durable than steel mine door and pretty hard to make compared to what iron would be. 

Hit a piece of iron and silver with a hammer in RL. Easy to see which takes almost no damage while the other dents easily. Sure a silver mine door is difficult to create but I see it more as decorative than for strength. Iron might not be so pretty but should be stronger due to its material, even if easier to create (which it should be).

=Ayes=

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ayes said:

Iron might not be so pretty but should be stronger due to its material, even if easier to create (which it should be).

Iron weathers a lot faster than silver from my quick Googling. Silver tarnishes the outside but iron will rust all the way through* and will crumble much faster.

*depends on the iron but probably the iron we use probably doesnt qualify.

Maybe iron is better to resist bashing but lose strength faster from decay.

if you want it to be stronger than silver as it already is in the game, it will be basically like steel. pretty much make steel mine door irrelevant. I am not talking about real life I am talking about the game since you are making a suggestion for the game 

12 hours ago, Maiev said:

if you want it to be stronger than silver as it already is in the game, it will be basically like steel. pretty much make steel mine door irrelevant.

I suggested that it be weaker than gold/steel. Also the Iron Mine Door will be much easier to create than a Steel one due to the initial Steel production requirements, so your stating that it will be "basically like steel" dosen't apply in these aspects.

Now that I come to think of it further the Iron Mine Door should be stronger than a Gold Mine Door as well due to the malleable properties of gold. So both Gold and Silver are basically the *bling* mine doors for their flashy status and decorative styles. This would all make the Iron Mine Door the most practical of all of them due to easier creation by moderate Blacksmiths, materials required and strength of the end product, rather than some nerfed out addition as some would suggest.

=Ayes=

metal doors are painful to create as it is, so a lower-tier door that's easier to create but less sturdy than the current ones seems good.  Definitely shouldn't be stronger than gold or silver, unless they're getting a lot easier to make.

• Like 1

My suggestion to increase the decay rate of the iron door was not rooted in limiting its utility, but instead mirroring reality.  Iron is strong and cheap, but when used in civil engineering projects without caution taken to preventing rust, oxidizes quickly. 

As you suggest, Gold and Silver should be weak to bashing. IMO they should also decay very slowly. 

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, Ayes said:

Hit a piece of iron and silver with a hammer in RL. Easy to see which takes almost no damage while the other dents easily. Sure a silver mine door is difficult to create but I see it more as decorative than for strength. Iron might not be so pretty but should be stronger due to its material, even if easier to create (which it should be).

=Ayes=

well, how well would a sword of leadwork?

it's just one of these other "typical wurm design decisions" where you just accept it head scratching.