Sign in to follow this  
Dashiva

[2009-10-19] New test client 2.6.8-1735 ... 2.6-8-1927

You're working harder than all of Santa's elves right now!

Looking outstanding!  ;D

amy chance the tooltip for fields can include when they need a 'farm' or 'harvest' ?

Yes, to farm or not to farm, that is the question...

Why does the compass fade now? It's bad enough it has to wobble around unrealistically (should at least give a vague idea of direction while moving--just like a real compass does) but now to not even be able to SEE it until it stops wobbling is just silly, unrealistic, and annoying.

Cherry and apple tree 3D model trunks need smooth lightshading too--all trees do when up close. Pine tree trunks have weird-looking intersecting tapered polygon planes coming off them, which doesn't look very much like branches, if that's what they're supposed to be. Also, maple, lemon, and all tree foilage (branches) should be darker underneath (like pine and birch--finally--trees are now).

You're working harder than all of Santa's elves right now!

Looking outstanding!  ;D

Dashiva and Mrbloodworth = awesome progress :D

Why does the compass fade now? It's bad enough it has to wobble around unrealistically (should at least give a vague idea of direction while moving--just like a real compass does) but now to not even be able to SEE it until it stops wobbling is just silly, unrealistic, and annoying.

You get the vague direction by looking at the ground tiles as you move. just follow the grid and you keep going in the right direction. To make the QL of a compass matter at all there must be something to compensate for the grid navigation. Hence the wobbling.

The  compass was made disappearing because some people thought the wobbling was annoying and misleading.

Well, compass fading should be an option because I prefer the wobbling (and a more realistic wobbling that doesn't get stuck not even vaguely in the direction you're going either).

Well, compass fading should be an option because I prefer the wobbling (and a more realistic wobbling that doesn't get stuck not even vaguely in the direction you're going either).

I absolutely agree.

My first reaction to that new and improved longer compass fade was that i dropped my compass to ground and picked it back up to "reset" it since i though i had moved the display off-screen since it took so long to appear. The way it was was just fine in my opinion. Fade out while moving and back to visible few secs after staying still. Only problem i had with that was with the fact that in ships it should be visible all the time, but this new too long fade out is just that... too long.

Otherwise good work on now crops and such.

This update only affects the test client, to allow time to test the new keybinds.

Changes in 2.6.8-1906

* Add a context menu to the fight window. This enables resizing and inverting.

* Add FISH keybind.

* Add BUILD_HOUSE_WALL, BUILD_HOUSE_WINDOW, BUILD_HOUSE_DOOR keybinds. These both start the wall and continue building it. The type of wall depends on whether you have a hammer/mallet or a trowel activated. These keybinds are high risk, as they might introduce issues with transforming wall types and accidental destruction of finished walls. If they don't work out, we'll remove them until a better solution is available.

* Bugfix: Client would crash if the maximum texture size was too small.

* Add farming tooltip for untended fields.

Changes in 2.6.8-1908

* Add BUILD_STONE_WALL, BUILD_TALL_STONE_WALL, BUILD_PALISADE, BUILD_FENCE, BUILD_PALISADE_GATE, BUILD_FENCE_GATE keybinds. See notes about house walls.

* Add FINISH keybind for unfinished items. Add CONTINUE keybind for complex items.

wow...

That's a load of stuff to test. I don't have enough keys to bind them all to ;)

wow...

That's a load of stuff to test. I don't have enough keys to bind them all to ;)

[me=Wintermute]prays for G15 support[/me]

This update only affects the test client, to allow time to test the new keybinds.

Changes in 2.6.8-1906

* Add a context menu to the fight window. This enables resizing and inverting.

* Add FISH keybind.

* Add BUILD_HOUSE_WALL, BUILD_HOUSE_WINDOW, BUILD_HOUSE_DOOR keybinds. These both start the wall and continue building it. The type of wall depends on whether you have a hammer/mallet or a trowel activated. These keybinds are high risk, as they might introduce issues with transforming wall types and accidental destruction of finished walls. If they don't work out, we'll remove them until a better solution is available.

* Bugfix: Client would crash if the maximum texture size was too small.

* Add farming tooltip for untended fields.

Changes in 2.6.8-1908

* Add BUILD_STONE_WALL, BUILD_TALL_STONE_WALL, BUILD_PALISADE, BUILD_FENCE, BUILD_PALISADE_GATE, BUILD_FENCE_GATE keybinds. See notes about house walls.

* Add FINISH keybind for unfinished items. Add CONTINUE keybind for complex items.

Why not just add a general all-purpose "use" command that performs the default/main (and usually only) action an item can do on another item? Most games do this so it only makes sense for Wurm to as well.

[*] Mallet on a tile border can only build so the "use" command could show a window with options (like "sleep" does) asking what to build on a tile border (fence, fence gate, wall, etc). A mallet on a tile can only "plan building" so there's no need for a separate "plan building" command there either.

[*] Fishing rod can only "fish" so there's no need for a separate "fish" command.

[*] Shovel can do 3 options on a paved tile (dig, flatten, and destroy pavement) so "use" could bring up a list of those options. However, I would also recommend keeping the separate "dig" option since that is common. Shovel can do 4 options (dig, flatten, pack, disarm) on a grass/mycelium tile and 4 options (dig, cultivate, flatten, disarm) on a packed dirt tile.

[*] Sickle can do 1-3 options (pick sprout, prune, and harvest) on a bush/tree depending on its state/season, but only "pick flowers" on a grass tile that has flowers.

Etc...otherwise, you're going to be adding at least 49 more keybinds (in addition to the 84 binds up to this point so far) to Wurm--which is just insane.

DWIM actions are risky in a game like Wurm because of the wide range of possibilities. Many a valuable item has been thrown away with double-click in ranged mode. But more fundamentally, keybinds are a supplementary interface. They simplify repetitive tasks by giving easy access to specific actions. If you're only doing something five times a day it doesn't need a keybind.

I also think you'll find there aren't all that many unique item-object combinations, most cases give multiple options. Anything involving a window is just as cumbersome as using the context menu in the first place, so there's little reason to duplicate effort there.

DWIM actions are risky in a game like Wurm because of the wide range of possibilities. Many a valuable item has been thrown away with double-click in ranged mode. But more fundamentally, keybinds are a supplementary interface. They simplify repetitive tasks by giving easy access to specific actions. If you're only doing something five times a day it doesn't need a keybind.

I also think you'll find there aren't all that many unique item-object combinations, most cases give multiple options. Anything involving a window is just as cumbersome as using the context menu in the first place, so there's little reason to duplicate effort there.

What, and having to deal with 84+49 = 133 keybinds isn't more cumbersome? Are you high? :P Did you ever play MechWarrior 2 on the PC? "The control complexity was likened to that of a flight simulator." Wurm is hardly a flight sim...and its controls could be VASTLY simplified with a bit of coding ingenuity and common sense (like not requiring a tool to be activated if it's already in the player's inventory--the highest QL tool could be used by default).

and its controls could be VASTLY simplified with a bit of coding ingenuity and common sense (like not requiring a tool to be activated if it's already in the player's inventory--the highest QL tool could be used by default).

Having to drop my tools just to switch between high and low ql would be very annoying

You wouldn't have to drop them but you could designate one as default (right-click on it while it's in your inventory, then choose "set as default" or just "set default").

You wouldn't have to drop them but you could designate one as default (right-click on it while it's in your inventory, then choose "set as default" or just "set default").

Unnecessary.

And i disagree with your above posts.

I don't want the client to decide what i do in Wurm.

I want to do it by myself, regardles of if i hit a key or click through a menu.

Uh, you say it's unnecessary, then disagree with how to set it manually. <scratches head> Methinks you're stuck in your own self-created paradox, Kai. :P

And, Dash, the "improve" action/keybind is a one-for-all command since it covers "carve", "hammer", "polish", "temper", "wash", etc (13 total). No reason a "use" action can't be designed along the same reason--at least for solo actions like a shovel on a corpse only to "bury" it), a sword on a tree/bush only able to "cut down" it, etc.

Oh and the "repair" option should not even be shown if the item doesn't need any repairing.

Uh, you say it's unnecessary, then disagree with how to set it manually. <scratches head> Methinks you're stuck in your own self-created paradox, Kai. :P

Heh :D

You should be a lawyer, bending my words as you see fit.

And fyi: carve, hammer, polish, etc. are only names for the same action/command: improve

Heh :D

You should be a lawyer, bending my words as you see fit.

That's what you wrote, man; I'm simply making it aware to you. ;)

And fyi: carve, hammer, polish, etc. are only names for the same action/command: improve

Yes, I know, but my point is they are also separate individual actions that are assumed to be the only action doable by the appropriate tool to the appropriate item at the time (if it needs improving by that item).

Incidentally, the "improve" keybind doesn't seem to work for unfinished pottery (clay bowls anyway). I get the event message "The unfinished clay bowl can not be improved right now." even though it is using the same action to finish it as it would be to improve it. I don't recall that happening with the normal client (I'm using unstable 2.6.8-1897).

I agree there are some actions that are unique but there are also many actions that are not. Like with a rake. The most likely action is farm but I always use the rake to harvest too to gain skill. A sickle can be used to cut down a tree too. Or a pickaxe is used for mining? or for mining down? or for prospecting? To many options there. Same for the shovel. There is dig and pack and cultivate.

Using a single bind would be nice but there are to many actions that dont fit into this scheme and voila, you'd have two differing styles of actions. Those for mining, digging and others and those for the unique ones. And there is still another problem. What happens if you accidently choose the wrong tool? Instead of picking a sprout you suddenly start to cut down the tree. Or you picked the scythe instead of a rake and harvest the field to early.

I think those do-what-I-mean actions are convenient but sometimes it's better it's do-what-I-say

Will there ever be a Create Item Keybind?

I would love this as i smith Arrow heads for hours on end and it gets boring after the first 100.

I agree there are some actions that are unique but there are also many actions that are not. Like with a rake. The most likely action is farm but I always use the rake to harvest too to gain skill. A sickle can be used to cut down a tree too. Or a pickaxe is used for mining? or for mining down? or for prospecting? To many options there. Same for the shovel. There is dig and pack and cultivate.

Using a single bind would be nice but there are to many actions that dont fit into this scheme and voila, you'd have two differing styles of actions. Those for mining, digging and others and those for the unique ones. And there is still another problem. What happens if you accidently choose the wrong tool? Instead of picking a sprout you suddenly start to cut down the tree. Or you picked the scythe instead of a rake and harvest the field to early.

I think those do-what-I-mean actions are convenient but sometimes it's better it's do-what-I-say

Ago, you obviously didn't read carefully enough. I said for MULTIPLE actions to present a window with options (like when going to sleep, a window appears and asks if you really want to, followed by "Yes" and "No" options). If you activate a shovel and "use" it on a grass tile, a window could pop up and ask if you want to dig, flatten, pack, or disarm (which should really be renamed to "check for traps" or something since "disarm" sounds like you want to get rid of the shovel or something).

Anyway, my ORIGINAL proposal was to only use the "use" action/command (yes, Miceless, they ARE interchangeable) for single-use items (as I've previously mentioned) but there's no reason it can't be extended to muilti-use items as well (even if to display the context menu and not a separate window).

Will there ever be a Create Item Keybind?

I would love this as i smith Arrow heads for hours on end and it gets boring after the first 100.

an easier way: repeat last action keybind. That would be superb  :)

an easier way: repeat last action keybind. That would be superb  :)

yesssss repeat last action would be very nice !