Sign in to follow this  
Dashiva

[2009-10-19] New test client 2.6.8-1735 ... 2.6-8-1927

looks like a Take option where you can choose an amount to me.  :)

I just tried the "unstable" client and I have to say, it is a step backwards. I have a new computer with a quad core cpu and while the onboard graphics are not the greatest, it is a lot better then my old system. With old system and old client I got 7-10 fps. With new computer I was able t oturn up a number of settinsg and still get 12-15fps until fog comes in which brought it down to 4. Maybe the pretty weather setting I don't know yet. But with this new client, I can't get the fps up above 2-5 in the woods. It's horrible and unplayable. My old system wouldn't be able to run it at all. It will drive away players with older systems. Entropia did the wame thing. Went to a fancy new client and people needed new systems to even run it on low settings and the graphics are worse then the old client. Wurm can't afford to drive away any more players. But burning through more computer power to do less will do exactly that.

I guess Vorg, that Dashiva will be after your console log to see whats wrong.

I just tried the "unstable" client and I have to say, it is a step backwards. I have a new computer with a quad core cpu and while the onboard graphics are not the greatest, it is a lot better then my old system. With old system and old client I got 7-10 fps. With new computer I was able t oturn up a number of settinsg and still get 12-15fps until fog comes in which brought it down to 4. Maybe the pretty weather setting I don't know yet. But with this new client, I can't get the fps up above 2-5 in the woods. It's horrible and unplayable. My old system wouldn't be able to run it at all. It will drive away players with older systems. Entropia did the wame thing. Went to a fancy new client and people needed new systems to even run it on low settings and the graphics are worse then the old client. Wurm can't afford to drive away any more players. But burning through more computer power to do less will do exactly that.

This is not a place to post rants, especially when you don't know what you're talking about. Please stick to useful feedback. :)

Make it so pressing enter works. Nothing sucks more than typing on the keyboard and then having to click the button with my mouse.

If that's not possible in the current version, it will be in the next update.

I guess Vorg, that Dashiva will be after your console log to see whats wrong.

Did that with the audio problems on my old comp. reported the problem a couple times. But the code went to live anyway and I ended up turning off music because it wasn't fixed before moving it to live.

And I do know what I'm talking about. Same computer, same settings, but up to a 75% drop in frame rate is bad. And lowering settings had little effect. A lot of your players do use older hardware. Requiring more hardware to get the same or less graphics will cost you players. I've seen it in many games before. People aren't going to run out and buy a new system just to keep playing wurm unless they are rich.

Decided to give the unstable client (2.6.8-1805) a try to see what the future looked like. Unfortunately, I am getting "Update failed! (Error: Corrupted pack, redownloading...)" on the Pack updates page of the launcher. It also wants to download graphics.jar even if I have "Graphics" unchecked at the bottom next to "Download optional packs:".

edit: Ok, relaunched the unstable client and it seems to be downloading now. If I don't post a follow-up, assume that it worked...

Decided to give the unstable client (2.6.8-1805) a try to see what the future looked like. Unfortunately, I am getting "Update failed! (Error: Corrupted pack, redownloading...)" on the Pack updates page of the launcher. It also wants to download graphics.jar even if I have "Graphics" unchecked at the bottom next to "Download optional packs:".

edit: Ok, relaunched the unstable client and it seems to be downloading now. If I don't post a follow-up, assume that it worked...

graphics.jar is actually the core pack. There are no optional graphics packs at the moment.

Dashiva, please quite telling people they don't know what they're talking about just because their experience disagrees with yours.  I run the stable client on my very modern PC because every time I launch the unstable client not only do I dislike the look in comparison, but it really is slower.

For the record, I can dual-client the stable version at 60fps (locked) and never reach 60fps on the unstable with just one copy running.

Ok, seems to be working, however, between the release client and the unstable client I take about a 10 to 12 fps hit on performance. Since my work computer can only push about 15 fps anyway, it makes it pretty bad. I noticed that this is mostly when looking at areas with trees (pretty trees are off and tree render range is set to very short). Will give it a try on my home computer which has much better performance and let you know what happens.

Dashiva, please quite telling people they don't know what they're talking about just because their experience disagrees with yours.  I run the stable client on my very modern PC because every time I launch the unstable client not only do I dislike the look in comparison, but it really is slower.

For the record, I can dual-client the stable version at 60fps (locked) and never reach 60fps on the unstable with just one copy running.

Seriously, this is not the thread to be ranting about how the unstable client will be the downfall of Wurm.

There has been no official reason for the unstable client to require more power than the stable client, ergo it is probably a bug. What you should be doing isn't calling Dashiva out, but instead you should be helping him to reproduce the issue so that he can fix it. I see no console.log, I see no helpful information like "I live in a heavily forested area, my friend who lives on the coast doesn't get as much of an FPS drop". What do you expect Dash to do, uncheck the "Heavy FPS Lag" option in the code? Delete all progress made up to 2.6.7c?

Here's some helpful information, on the coast, I don't get an FPS drop at all between clients. In Tree Town (on the test client), I get a massive uncharacteristic drop in FPS, but that may be because of debug mode.

This is amusing. Let me know when you have a fix ready, then. :)

What the hell dude, your the client developer.

What the hell dude, your the client developer.

By choice, for free, in spare time... have some respect people...

think back to a time not so long ago.. When Dashiva dissapeared... or was to busy.. or was sick of dealing with the abuse... or had more important things to do... or was out having some fun.. nothing much was being done in client development...

Again, Respect people...

Ill admit i was out of line, that just sounded stupid coming from the user with 'Client developer' under the username.

Say how about we check that Heavy FPS Lag button plx. I haz look for long time and no see. Dev do plz something. know you how to fix lag cuz you mdid yourself mean person.

But seriously guys, I'm sure they're aware of the issue and have it on their to-do list. I'm not sure exactly what we can do to provide helpful information.

I will say this:

I put my settings on the lowest possible EVERYTHING (instead of mediums-highs) and went from 25-30FPS around coastal regions to 60+ FPS, but my FPS in a heavy forest, which tends to be about 10FPS, only jumped to around 15 even on lowest.

On highest possible settings it dropped to 2-3.

But seriously guys, I'm sure they're aware of the issue and have it on their to-do list. I'm not sure exactly what we can do to provide helpful information.

Quite sucking up and making fun of people -- she very clearly denied any such problem, so no, it would not seem to be being worked on.  Those of us who complain about lower fps than in previous clients get shot down for no reason despite our observations.

Historically I pushed for a more open client development effort and would've helped with such an effort.  The decision was made instead to do things this way, so you're stuck developing in the dark and begging us for logs and putting up with our whining in forums that I might remind some people, really are made for this feedback.

With settings almost all at max, including reflections, in town, near a mountain and a forest and water, in the rain with pretty weather on, I'm getting 19-25fps on stable, and 15-18 on unstable.  It once hit 19 because I was looking at my feet.

Pretty weather & butterflies turned off, 35-40fps (still raining out) on stable, 31-35fps on unstable with sudden jumps to 48fps when facing certain directions (toward water mostly), but drops out to 20fps regularly.

Quad-core, 8GB RAM, 9600GT 512MB.

For the record, the new fight icons are too small and unclear at 1680x1050, as are the toolbelt icons with their excessive glow outlines.

Yes, I praised the dev team-sorry for being supportive.

All hail Dashiva, Master of the client! *falls on his knees*  ;D

Quite sucking up and making fun of people -- she very clearly denied any such problem, so no, it would not seem to be being worked on.  Those of us who complain about lower fps than in previous clients get shot down for no reason despite our observations.

There was no denying, just a statement that rants are not helpful. Feedback, and data and reproducible steps are.

For the record, the new fight icons are too small and unclear at 1680x1050, as are the toolbelt icons with their excessive glow outlines.

That is a known issue. (been known, and explained)

I am getting some sort of graphical error when i am using compressed textures. I have Windows 7 64bits with ATI Radeon 4870x2 with newest drivers.

This is how it looks like with compressed textures on:

wurm200911262147.png

And this is how it looks without compressed textures:

wurm200911262146.png

Anyone more info you need?

I hope this it not a known problem because then i just wasted 15min of my life. ;)

Major FPS drop with the test client compared to the normal one for me (from 45 down to 7/8). All settings left the same between the two, using Intel E4500, 8800GT, 4g RAM@ 1280x1024. I'll try n post a log today.

Just so everyone's on the same page: We know about the slowness. The slowness is the reason the unstable client hasn't been turned into the stable client.