Sign in to follow this  
Puertorro

Chaos Reborn | Modded PVE/PVP | Replica of Chaos Map

gibAaIp.gif

kSrBRIG.jpg

Hello fellow Wurmians!

I'm openly inviting all players to help me populate the new WU Chaos Reborn server.  I play daily and can provide GM assistance at any time.  All players will receive a 100ql tool-belt for convenience.

• Server Information
    • Server IP: 198.57.6.224
    • Action Timers: Vanilla
    • Skill Gain: Vanilla
    • Map: Chaos Map
    • Creatures: 25,000 | 25% Aggressive
    • Field Growth: 18 hours
    • Newbie Friendly: Yes

• No Deed Cost
    • Deed Upkeep Disabled (First 25 deeds then turns on)
  • Mods
    • Announcer - Server-wide player login announcement
    • Better Digging - some useful features to bring dirt into a vehicle or on ground instead of player inventory and much more
    • HTTP Server  - Library providing a HTTP Server for other mods to use
    • Inbreed warnings - Receive a warning when breeding related animals
    • Scriptrunner - Run script on various hooks
    • Serverpacks - Provides additional pack download service for mods
    • Servermap - Provide a server pack with a pre-rendered or current map of the server
    • Server Tweaks
  • Rules
    • First come first serve land acquisition.  Or take it by force thru PVP.
    • Freedom of speech (No banning for foul language or being "mean")
    • Client mods allowed (WurmESP is not allowed)
    • Custom texture packs allowed
    • PMK formation allowed (GM assistance can be provided)
  • Things to do...
    • First thing on priority list is to find a way to validate client to prevent abuse during PVP.
    • Create starter deed for WL and BL.
    • Hire GM volunteers.
    • Open to suggestions from the server citizens.
Edited by Puertorro
Changed image to new map.
  • Like 2

Cool idea, have kicked around a similar idea myself for a long time just never had the desire to make good on it.

Looks like your heightmap could use a little love though. You can use the topology mapdump to extract height data if you know how to code an algorithm to do so.

Might be interested in checking it out if someone ever makes some kind of client validation script to verify what mods are / aren't being run. Would need to be a little more complicated though, would have to check for injections and else. Something like FairFight for Wurm would be cool.

I'll be following for now, but +1 to the idea.

8 hours ago, Puertorro said:

(WurmESP is not allowed)

Nice try but you can't know if someone is using ESP

No Deed Cost

This is anything but a good idea especially in a PVP scenario. I can just go up to my enemies and drop 10 deeds with 20 templars each... for free :)

PVE/PVP

What do you mean by this? Is it one of those god awful servers in which 100 tiles x 100 tiles are PVP and the rest is PVE? I hope not, because if it is you're in for a whole of a lot of 0 playerbase.

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

This is anything but a good idea especially in a PVP scenario. I can just go up to my enemies and drop 10 deeds with 20 templars each... for free :)

3 hours ago, Gladiator said:

What do you mean by this? Is it one of those god awful servers in which 100 tiles x 100 tiles are PVP and the rest is PVE? I hope not, because if it is you're in for a whole of a lot of 0 playerbase.

Guess you missed this part:

(First 25 deeds then turns on)

The idea is to help people initially when populating.  Once we have deeds established (I.E 25 give or take), upkee turns on.  If you can maintain the 25 guards and 100 tiles of deed then kudos.  Its gonna require a good grind though.

Also, then only "PVE" areas would be the starter deeds or player owned cities that are well protected.  Sometimes you get players that join kingdoms for the PVE part and refrain from PVP.

Let me know if you have more questions.

10 hours ago, whereami said:

Looks like your heightmap could use a little love though. You can use the topology mapdump to extract height data if you know how to code an algorithm to do so.

I have spent over 12 hours trying to make the same.  Sadly, the tool uses pure heightmap, then creates topology out of that.  To create the grayscale out of the dumps available takes a lot of time because the tool uses white for high and black for low altitude.  When I use the erosion tool it does it in a triangle shape.  I am more than welcome to edit it if we can find a way to make it identical.

ok but why 1x 1x?   Idk how i feel about grinding for months to be pvp ready only to find out the server goes down.

Just now, Haseroth said:

ok but why 1x 1x?   Idk how i feel about grinding for months to be pvp ready only to find out the server goes down.

Im always open to suggestions.  I dont want to be the ruler of the server.  I rather have a community come together to determine rules, mechanics, etc...

Also, "The server goes down" permanently is nearly impossible given that the server resides in a rack in my house.  Not only does it run the game in my home, it also runs other services as well.  Furthermore, most of the hardware on the server is being unused and I can add more ram if need be.  The only times that it can go down are tings that I cant control, I.E. ISP down, Weather, etc...

23 hours ago, Puertorro said:

I have spent over 12 hours trying to make the same.  Sadly, the tool uses pure heightmap, then creates topology out of that.  To create the grayscale out of the dumps available takes a lot of time because the tool uses white for high and black for low altitude.  When I use the erosion tool it does it in a triangle shape.  I am more than welcome to edit it if we can find a way to make it identical.

I don't know what "tool" you are referring to - but I would personally recommend against using pre-made tools that aren't specifically tailored to this use-case as most will just foul up your work because they don't understand / aren't suited to your intentions.

It's a pretty daunting endeavor (after having done it) and definitely requires some mid-range technical know-how, but it's entirely possible to create an algorithm that can parse a set of mapdump image files, some of which you will have to create yourself.

I recommend coding one because, I don't know of any tools that are pixel-accurate and allow fine tuning of both the input and output data format in the manner which they need to be manipulated to get this to work.

The algorithm itself really isn't that difficult on its own, but you can fine tune the level of difficulty you desire by attempting to add higher resolute value to the image.

The basic start of the algorithm only needs to check for black pixels that enclose a polygon. Every level (enclosed polygon) inwards the algorithm goes should raise the terrain a value equivalent to (65535 / 2) divided by the maximum depth of enclosed polygons present on the map, multiplied by the number of polygon levels deep the system cursor currently is.

Now obviously there needs to be a number of other functions to perform smoothing, bias normalization, and others - But you get the idea for a start.

This could be taken as far as creating a new image that contains the remaining values after subtracting the flat colors from the isotropic map, and then running some code that reverse engineers the color gradients there to determine further resolute value.

A much, much simpler (and much more rudimentary, meaning it would not give as good of results) method, would be to simply make the algorithm color in those enclosed polygons a solid color increasing in brightness per level of depth, and then apply some quick color smoothing in PS to produce a simple greyscale heightmap that could be used.

Edited by whereami

I thought I'd have a quick look to see how this was, I chose JK and got immediately attacked by Freedom guards when spawning for the first time.

Might be better to set up a small login server and then set portals to each Kingdom spawn area on the main Chaos replica server. Setting up a login server will serve you well if the server ever grows to a decent population

13 hours ago, solmark said:

I thought I'd have a quick look to see how this was, I chose JK and got immediately attacked by Freedom guards when spawning for the first time.

Might be better to set up a small login server and then set portals to each Kingdom spawn area on the main Chaos replica server. Setting up a login server will serve you well if the server ever grows to a decent population

Noted!

Thank you for the note.  Will implement it shortly.

Got rid of the guards in the meantime.  The idea I had in mind was to have ppl spawn next to their lights.  Didnt think that picking anything other than Freedom would put them on that deed.

Edited by Puertorro

Bump!

New refined map.  Looks a lot more natural and a lot closer to the original Chaos map.

Bump!

Plenty of land open!  New map looks great and there are mountain tops waiting for someone to deed.