Sign in to follow this  
Fablecrafter

Sphax PureBDcraft (Minecraft Texture Pack) - But for Wurm

I'm creating this here, just to have a place to show early works in progress of my attempts to create a custom graphic pack for Wurm Unlimited, that will be using textures from the popular Minecraft texture pack: Sphax PureBDcraft. I've gotten the "ok" from the BDcraft team, that if I get the pack to a completed state, that I could have it posted on their forums for others to use it, (somewhat of a rule with their textures - others can use them for games, but they have to give credit, and they have to be distributed via their site).

As of right now, I've only got fairly basic terrain textures (not even close to all of them) done so far, and then some other odds and ends here and there, mainly for experimenting with the complexity of how this will get... As I'm only working with textures as texture files, and not in a 3d editor to do it as it's seen in the game world or anything, some stuff that has complex models, like the furnace will take me much tinkering. Some of the stuff that you'd think is complex, really isn't, such as the log piles, I'm quite happy with how those turned out. I'll be posting more progress updates, and screenshots as I carry on with the project though :) 

- Credit to the Sphax PureBDcraft Team for the original textures

Progress Updates and Screenshots:
-Week prior of April 21, 2019:

On 4/21/2019 at 9:42 AM, Fablecrafter said:

Alright, so I'm going to try to change my progress update format, to doing a new post, (hopefully on a weekly basis of being on Sundays), for a weekly progress update, then I'll just quote said post to the original so that it will be easy enough to see the updates in development all in one place :)

So, this week, I decided to try my hand at one of the more complex models in the game - the furnace; this one took me about 4 hours, (about 5 if you include the lit variant). After that I went onto my second tree edit, which was the oak trees, they turned out very well in my opinion, and only took about an hour of work, was surprised considering my first tree took many, many hours, and was where I'd stopped working on the project the first time I took a break from working on it, (mainly placing the leaves burnt me out on it). Next was replacing the random ferns that you see in the tall grass, very simple replacement of a texture, so that was done very quickly. After that, I decided I would take a stab at the really plain hedge textures... I thought this would be a very simple task, considering how plain the original textures were for this... I was quite wrong, due to the way the high hedges handle the textures; my first attempt was too, repeating of the same texture, so I tried to add more depth to it by adding in branches and such, but in doing so, I was having issues with the seam between the top and bottom halves of the high hedges... So then it was back to the drawing board... The fix was actually the fact that I was trying too hard, instead just simply layered leaves over bark instead, which helped with the repeating look by breaking it up, but naturally tiled the texture well enough. The final thing I got done this week was the maple hedges, as I figured I'd stay on track with what I was doing... These were much nicer to work with, and only took a short bit of work to get completed ^^

I know it's not much progress for a week of work, but I am only one guy, and I'm working on this ontop of working a full time job, plus editing flat texture files, not in a 3D setting to see the edits in real time... I get to load them into the game and see how they look every single time I wanna know something about them, so progress will be slow that way XD

Hope everyone likes what they've been seeing, and I'll keep fiddling with textures till the next progress update ^^

- April 21, 2019 Progress Update Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

Here is the initial edit of the furnace, with just the basic brick texture on it, before I got any of the shading done on it or anything

6UD2Hri.jpg

The finished version of the furnace with the shading completed on it ^^
UWdVg0g.jpg

This is the lit edit for the furnace
uCsp8t9.jpg

The oak tree with the new textures, happy with how it turned out considering how short of time it took to complete :) 
N5BKSOD.jpg

The random ferns you find out in the tall grass
dg1OW8E.jpg

Here is the first edit of the plain hedge texture, got very tiled looking, and was not happy with it
cfqOa3x.jpg

This was the first attempt to add depth to the hedges, it looked really neat, but due to the handling of the textures on high hedges it had a horrible seam =/
vwXQCP3.jpg

The final edit of the plain hedge textures, not as cool looking but it worked the best overall, may revisit the more depth version later on when I start to refine the textures
iAzXs8J.jpg

And the final thing this week, the maple hedges, the way the textures work for these is much nicer, and I hope they eventually do the same system on the plain hedges, as they worked much better ^^
JMf566W.jpg

Past work through April 11, 2019

Here is the blending between dirt and stone
1rjk2lv.jpg

Here are the log piles, very happy with how they turned out :)
pOKHIKg.jpg

These are pumpkins with the textures done on them, also in the background, are my first attempts at doing the grasses before I had to ask what alpha channel to save the texture files as ;)
ocSvNSu.jpg

This shows a dirt pile, and the first attempts at retexturing a tree in the background - the birch tree
Pq0zeg4.jpg

Progress Update - April 13, 2019

This is the first tree that I've gotten textured so far, may need additional tweaking in the future - say hello to the birch tree :)
59mGCIu.jpg
HHsBj1k.jpg

This shows reinforced cave tiles, as well as an iron vein, and a sandstone vein
UgYpWQi.jpg

The textures for the well took me a good few hours today to get done, very many little pieces, but it's looking great ^^
E5xN50b.jpg

Latest post -

On 10/11/2019 at 5:26 PM, Fablecrafter said:

It's been quite a while since I added the poll for the log cabin walls, or to stick with regular wooden walls, and I'm also back to working on this project, so I decided to go with what the highest vote was, and that was for Log Cabin Walls, so I got a quick example of them done up already, though I feel the boards that overlap the logs need more detail, so that'll be a bit of tweaking yet, hope you all enjoy the first look at them :)

Reveal hidden contents

U5EqQUH.png

Well it's about time that I did an alpha release of this graphic pack for people to give a try, and give feedback for. At present, I'm open to suggestions about all the textures, essentially consider everything to be a placeholder for now, as it's still an early alpha release.

Just a heads up, that because this is an entire graphics.jar file, it is quite a hefty download, about 1.3gb. Also make sure that you backup your original graphics.jar file, unless you don't mind doing a reinstall of your game to replace it.

1XDtyrH.png

Edited by Fablecrafter
First Alpha Rlease
  • Like 16

Holy cow its amazing!! I loved using sphax in my MC days and this is great!

• Like 1

Awesome, this is a game changer!

Could be a whole new style how wurm could look to compete with modern games.

• Like 2

This look nice altough I would aim for something between "realistic" wurm look and World of Warcraft style.

Your screenshots present more towards World of Warcraft style (kinda cartoonish).

• Like 2

Wurm is never going to compete with true "realistic" graphics -- I think this looks charming and not at all "cartoony".  More like a really well done illustration than a 'cartoon'. We are after all discussing a game that has trolls and dragons.  It looks ... itself, somehow. Like someone originally designed the game to be just-like-this.

Frankly I think if WO could do this, but let people choose via settings toggle whether they want "realism" or "medieval fairytale" style graphics (to prevent riots in the cornfields as it would be controversial) then Sklo is correct and it could indeed be a game changer for Wurm in general.  There is just something so very sweet, charming and pleasant about that particular color palette and style. The problem there though is someone else ( Sphax) owns this particular graphic style, and WO might or might not be able to succeed at something unique but equally charming..  at least WU could give it a test run and give WO something to think about.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

One thing I really appreciate about Wurm is that it does NOT look "cartooney" as most of those above textures do. Wurm has a more realistic and subtle look to its graphic designs which sets it apart from the more "popular" online games. WoW has a lot of beauty to it but it is a much different sort of a fantastical style more akin to these textures. If this is purely a mod that WU servers can install I have no problem with it but it should be kept far away from Wurm Online (which I am pretty confident it will anyway).

=Ayes=

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ayes said:

One thing I really appreciate about Wurm is that it does NOT look "cartooney" as most of those above textures do. Wurm has a more realistic and subtle look to its graphic designs which sets it apart from the more "popular" online games. WoW has a lot of beauty to it but it is a much different sort of a fantastical style more akin to these textures. If this is purely a mod that WU servers can install I have no problem with it but it should be kept far away from Wurm Online (which I am pretty confident it will anyway).

=Ayes=

Sure, I can understand that, but "cartoony" graphics have always had a charm for me, I honestly really like that aspect of WoW, is that it's cartoony looking, yet... in it's own way, it's majestic. At present, this would only be a graphic mod for WU, I doubt it will ever be available for WO, and even if it was... It would surely just be an option for players to choose from a drop down in the settings or a graphics pack on the launcher to pick instead, they very much would not force it on their players :)

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Fablecrafter said:

Sure, I can understand that, but "cartoony" graphics have always had a charm for me, I honestly really like that aspect of WoW, is that it's cartoony looking, yet... in it's own way, it's majestic. At present, this would only be a graphic mod for WU, I doubt it will ever be available for WO, and even if it was... It would surely just be an option for players to choose from a drop down in the settings or a graphics pack on the launcher to pick instead, they very much would not force it on their players :)

Do you plan on releasing this as a mod in the future for WU? 

3 hours ago, Gawain said:

Do you plan on releasing this as a mod in the future for WU? 

I plan on posting it on the BDcraft forums, as it's their resources being used, it has to be hosted there, eventually when I feel that it's in a more completed state, I'll put it there, and provide a link here on the original post for those that are interested in playing with it :) 

• Like 4

Alright, so I'm going to try to change my progress update format, to doing a new post, (hopefully on a weekly basis of being on Sundays), for a weekly progress update, then I'll just quote said post to the original so that it will be easy enough to see the updates in development all in one place :)

So, this week, I decided to try my hand at one of the more complex models in the game - the furnace; this one took me about 4 hours, (about 5 if you include the lit variant). After that I went onto my second tree edit, which was the oak trees, they turned out very well in my opinion, and only took about an hour of work, was surprised considering my first tree took many, many hours, and was where I'd stopped working on the project the first time I took a break from working on it, (mainly placing the leaves burnt me out on it). Next was replacing the random ferns that you see in the tall grass, very simple replacement of a texture, so that was done very quickly. After that, I decided I would take a stab at the really plain hedge textures... I thought this would be a very simple task, considering how plain the original textures were for this... I was quite wrong, due to the way the high hedges handle the textures; my first attempt was too, repeating of the same texture, so I tried to add more depth to it by adding in branches and such, but in doing so, I was having issues with the seam between the top and bottom halves of the high hedges... So then it was back to the drawing board... The fix was actually the fact that I was trying too hard, instead just simply layered leaves over bark instead, which helped with the repeating look by breaking it up, but naturally tiled the texture well enough. The final thing I got done this week was the maple hedges, as I figured I'd stay on track with what I was doing... These were much nicer to work with, and only took a short bit of work to get completed ^^

I know it's not much progress for a week of work, but I am only one guy, and I'm working on this ontop of working a full time job, plus editing flat texture files, not in a 3D setting to see the edits in real time... I get to load them into the game and see how they look every single time I wanna know something about them, so progress will be slow that way XD

Hope everyone likes what they've been seeing, and I'll keep fiddling with textures till the next progress update ^^

- April 21, 2019 Progress Update Screenshots:

Here is the initial edit of the furnace, with just the basic brick texture on it, before I got any of the shading done on it or anything

6UD2Hri.jpg

The finished version of the furnace with the shading completed on it ^^
UWdVg0g.jpg

This is the lit edit for the furnace
uCsp8t9.jpg

The oak tree with the new textures, happy with how it turned out considering how short of time it took to complete :) 
N5BKSOD.jpg

The random ferns you find out in the tall grass
dg1OW8E.jpg

Here is the first edit of the plain hedge texture, got very tiled looking, and was not happy with it
cfqOa3x.jpg

This was the first attempt to add depth to the hedges, it looked really neat, but due to the handling of the textures on high hedges it had a horrible seam =/
vwXQCP3.jpg

The final edit of the plain hedge textures, not as cool looking but it worked the best overall, may revisit the more depth version later on when I start to refine the textures
iAzXs8J.jpg

And the final thing this week, the maple hedges, the way the textures work for these is much nicer, and I hope they eventually do the same system on the plain hedges, as they worked much better ^^
JMf566W.jpg

• Like 2

The plain hedge looks really nice!  Great job on all of these textures.  :)

• Like 1

Forgot that I wanted to add in a poll about having log cabin walls to replace the typical wooden walls in the game, and wanted to let anyone revisiting this thread to know that that poll is currently going, and you're able to vote on which you'd like to see happen for it :) 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fablecrafter said:

Forgot that I wanted to add in a poll about having log cabin walls to replace the typical wooden walls in the game, and wanted to let anyone revisiting this thread to know that that poll is currently going, and you're able to vote on which you'd like to see happen for it :) 

Where is the poll?

3 hours ago, Batta said:

Where is the poll?

Should be shown at the top of the page, above my original post ^^

gylCFin.png

Sorry everyone that's been following this project, I had quit playing Wurm due to the fact that I burn myself out very easily, same thing with this project, just pushed myself a bit too much on it. It may be a while yet before I continue this, but I do intend to continue work on this at some point in the future, hopefully not too far into the future, so stay tuned ^^

• Like 3

It's been quite a while since I added the poll for the log cabin walls, or to stick with regular wooden walls, and I'm also back to working on this project, so I decided to go with what the highest vote was, and that was for Log Cabin Walls, so I got a quick example of them done up already, though I feel the boards that overlap the logs need more detail, so that'll be a bit of tweaking yet, hope you all enjoy the first look at them :)

U5EqQUH.png

• Like 1

Whether or not Wurm should look realistic is just down to opinion and taste. -- Mine is for keeping Wurm as realistic looking as possible, but who cares what I think. :)

There will be players that will appreciate your contribution and use it long term, so I wish you well in producing what appears to be shaping up as a quality extension. Good job!

Edited by Adambean
and taste
  • Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 2:37 PM, Fablecrafter said:

Should be shown at the top of the page, above my original post ^^

Hmm, I see nothing there, just a blank space.