3 hours ago, Samool said:

@Malena

I think the main issue is how the terrain underneath the distant trees is still bland, so it feels like they stick out of the terrain a bit too much - we'll adding some shadows there, though probably not for the initial release.

Height dependent tree display is possible, but how'd you tell how high they should stop appearing? There is some naturally high elevated terrain which you wouldn't call a mountain, so the cutoff point might have to be different for each server.

It looks good on your screenshots because you replace them with something like the rock texture - while the trees only appear in areas where there actually are trees, so just on the grassy distant "tiles", which already can look out of place for the distant mountains.

Crap, you're right. Totally forgot about how natural the cutoff point might look nor did I take into account naturally high elevated terrain either. 

1 hour ago, MrGARY said:

I agree, but how many years have we all said this now?  Saroman and Samool have done incredible wonders for the game, but that can only go so far.  They can make this the most immersive, graphically pleasing in naughty ways game that runs better than windows paint, but it doesn't matter if new players don't stay because of the game itself.  It would be great to read in the news how new player retention as well as to a lesser focus vet player retention is being worked on - along with art/client devs doing their thing (since we do all know an art dev isn't the same as a server dev)

Yeah it's a tricky balance for sure. ?

4 hours ago, Samool said:

@Malena

I think the main issue is how the terrain underneath the distant trees is still bland, so it feels like they stick out of the terrain a bit too much - we'll adding some shadows there, though probably not for the initial release.

Height dependent tree display is possible, but how'd you tell how high they should stop appearing? There is some naturally high elevated terrain which you wouldn't call a mountain, so the cutoff point might have to be different for each server.

It looks good on your screenshots because you replace them with something like the rock texture - while the trees only appear in areas where there actually are trees, so just on the grassy distant "tiles", which already can look out of place for the distant mountains.

If it was possible to add underlining rock or ore type to bleed into the surface would be nice .

How ever it is not gradual wen it comes to tiles in Wurm  , its all one big square

the area would need to blend in lightly somehow ..

2 hours ago, MrGARY said:

I agree, but how many years have we all said this now?  Saroman and Samool have done incredible wonders for the game, but that can only go so far.  They can make this the most immersive, graphically pleasing in naughty ways game that runs better than windows paint, but it doesn't matter if new players don't stay because of the game itself.  It would be great to read in the news how new player retention as well as to a lesser focus vet player retention is being worked on - along with art/client devs doing their thing (since we do all know an art dev isn't the same as a server dev)

Just need find the proper bait , the trap is Wurm itself overtime .

Just a week trap easy to escape at first .

On 4/11/2019 at 10:54 PM, Rudie said:

Ayyy there's my name! How old is that screenshot @HexD?

@wipeout

Early gold 2 start if I'm not mistaken or gold 1 even

Fantastic work by all involved- thank you.

All of your work is just making this great game even better.

Now let us try to get the population growth that your efforts really deserve!

On 4/11/2019 at 4:56 AM, HexD said:

Really is amazing in difference between graphics Now and way back when, great job! 

Here's a bit of contrast;

Hide contents

This was with everything on max, wanted it to look it's best as it was my first homestead and I was proud.wurm005.pngwurm015.png

i luv old screenshots, there should be a thread just for them

Next April 1st prank could be all models reverted to 2007 ones...

• Like 4

YES!!!!!  I've been waiting for this for a looooong time now!  I can't wait to see trees from far far away!!!  It'll really add to the immersion!

Edited by Kyoko