Sign in to follow this  
Tenniel

Awakening [1x1x RPvPvE - Custom map, deities, kingdoms]

banner_awakening.png

"A plague was haunting the world, it was a curse cast by the old gods, when the people turned to other faiths. Three towers had been built, and those who took refuge in the towers were protected by the magic forces inside. None outside were known to have survived. The old gods ravaged the world and planted their seeds, creating new monsters walking the land.

Inside the towers, the people practiced their arcane crafts, and over the years, a number of schools emerged, each with a particular focus, and each dedicated to a deity. Nine schools there were, three in each tower, and since all towers had been isolated they had no knowledge of each other.

Hierarchies had developed inside the towers, and as part of the heritage of the old world: there was a class of masters, who had attained the highest degree of magical awakening; there was a class of adepts, who had attained the magical knowledge; there was the soldiers; and there was the servants, who did all menial labour. Inside the towers, there was no death, and all lived without dying, but also without really living.

Before the curse, the world had been populated by many peoples, cities and kingdoms. The towers were built by the masters of their age, as focus points of their power and wisdom.  A wisdom that crystallized into new principles of understanding, which took the form of new gods that unleashed a divine war upon the old gods. It ended in the defeat and imprisonment of the old gods, but before they had been completely defeated a weave of taint was cast, a curse which drove humans insane, killing each other mindlessly, some turning into monsters or the undead. Being named after the old gods, the curse in time became known as the Fogs of Maglivyn.

The towers were completely isolated for almost a thousand years, each having their own magical systems, and each focusing on a particular idea or mentality. One tower focused on the principles of understanding the living force and life, to cleanse the curse by pure life force. Another tower focused on deeper understanding, and magical knowledge, learning how to banish the curse by the focus of will. The third tower absorbed the curse, becoming part of it, and they learned to control it by being in it, though at a terrible cost.

After the towers started awakening again to the world, and opening to embrace it, two of them formed an alliance of peace and prosperity; but they saw that the third tower had been lost to their eyes, it had become the manifestation point of the curse, whether in control of it or being controlled by it unknown.

Life inside the towers was no real life, it was a prison of time, and it was sustained by pure magical force. No need to eat, no need to sleep, just a state of endless awareness. Outside was like a thick grey fog, through which the sun would barely penetrate.

Once the heavy mists of the curse had started to disperse, a raven landed on the window sill one morning, high up in one of the towers, the Tower of Tirvalon, where the masters had been calling out for signs of life. Being masters they could talk to the raven, and sent it off with a message. When the raven arrived at the first tower it found, the Tower of Cellimdar, it was greeted with much joy, and soon it returned with a reply, a message of friendship.

The raven was again sent off to find the last tower, but this time it did not return...

Thus it was that two of the towers joined in an alliance, while the third remained in obscurity - for the time being."

Server Information

• Roleplay, PvP server with 2 large PvE zones (can deed and resize deeds on PvE zones)
  • 1x Skill gains, 1x Action timer
  • 4096x4096 Custom map, handcrafted in detail
  • 4 Custom Kingdoms
  • Many custom deities
  • 70.000 Creatures (70% aggro)
  • Characteristics starts at 19.5, all other skills starts at 1.0
  • Kingdom specific starter gear
  • Many custom creatures, items and recipes
  • Animals can be branded and managed like on a PvE server
  • Economy based on trading bulk wares with custom merchant NPCs

The Awakening server is a custom made world that is set in a parallel universe of Wurm Online, many thousands of years into the future. Players may choose from four different kingdoms. All of the kingdoms have their own religions. There are no priests, but instead ten different types of "adepts", such as wizards, witches, sorcerers and paladins etc. The kingdoms share a market based economy, with custom merchant NPC:s who will buy and sell wares from players. Two of the kingdoms live within huge PvE zones, while two of the kingdoms are entirely PvP. The server itself is PvP, with a few modifications that permits normal PvE game play inside the PvE zones.

There are no external mods installed on the Awakening server, except Ago's mod launcher. All other mods are custom made, and there are more than 200 modifications. The philosophy behind the server is to create a very different world from that of Wurm Online, while at the same time keeping to the game experience. Any player used to Wurm Online will find that almost all game mechanics are the same, nothing has been made to make things quicker or easier. Instead more functionality and content has been added; more creatures, more items, new spells, new deities, etc. and of course a different narrative.

For more information, check out our web page or contact us on Discord.

Edited by Tenniel
  • Like 1

If you search for adventure and a different experience then a ordinary Wurm server are giving then you got to the right place!

The map is huge with two different very large PVE zones (kingdoms) with two PVP kingdoms on the same continent.

Religions are remade to deities and spells redistributed. There are 9 different deities to choose from that all has a given place in the storytelling and the kingdom it belongs to. Read up on that before you choose location!

There is a very well written backgroundstory behind all 4 kingdoms and there is a Roleplay channel for those who loves to play a RP character. Also a World channel for talking across the kingdoms.

The serverowner makes his own mods and they are all working very well and are well thought out not to ruin the story content or the economy but to enhance it.

Awakening is a fairly new server with a slowly but steady growing community I hope you are interested to join and be a part of.
It is definitly for those who enjoys a slower pace since its 1x1x but then the joy of what you create is a lot bigger. I love the server – can't you tell?

Aqeela - Tirvalon

• Like 3

If you don’t want full blown pvp, but want to dabble - this is a great place.   Custom religions and custom kingdoms.     And a great economy not based on bounty mod.  All good people here.    GM is a coder and can fix stuff on the fly.  That’s a plus in my book.  

• Like 1

Well crafted and balanced server, cool new features, finally - RPG!!

• Like 1

Most balanced economy I’ve seen in WU yet.    Must see

• Like 1

The merchant/vendor mod is great.  This is the Wurm economy I've hoped for since JK Home.

No need to be a JOAT.  

• Like 1

Awakening Server is still going strong.
It is growing with good and experienced ppl.

You all that have not tried this server out are missing something special, it is a experience you cant find somewhere else.

Right now there is a new smaller area build up that is neutral (Kendralon) to meet up at for events or trading across kingdoms.

Welcome to Tirvalon (PVE), Cellimdar (PVE), Shodroq (PVP) or Thekandre (PVP) on the Awakening server!

• Like 2

This is my first time playing on a non-local server.  My 5th or so day in. 

I have anxiety in real life so I enjoy Wurm for it's relaxation properties.  Everyone on Awakening has been welcoming ^_^, so that fills my primary looking for.  The server feels open, id est -- it's mainly about being respectful of others, less about what you can't do.  

Though this is my first public server, I have to say that it's quite refreshing to see people put in so much effort into their art.  The kingdoms/towns have detail to them.  Like someone wrote above there is a merchant system. Took a bit to figure how it worked but it adds something missing on my local server.

There's a great deal more to say, like today there was an auction that someone volunteered to run.  It was held on a neutral island so people from all 4 kingdoms joined.  It was rather fun reading other's remarks : ).

• Like 2

My name on the Awakening server is Altagar.  I say that upfront to show my commitment to this review and that I played actively on the server for 5 months.

I wish I could write a glowing review for this server but I can’t. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot that held my interest, but recurring issues with “Staff” and “Community Issues” overcame the positives.

First the good:

1)       Awakening has 10 different interesting gods with a backstory detailed on their website.  While becoming a priest is harder, there are more mixes of spells to choose from.

2)       Awakening is 1x development, but provides NPC markets that encourage skill development

3)       The RPvPvE structure is interesting in that it is largely PvE, but there are 4 kingdoms so many players will be hostile.  However, open warfare is not allowed.

4)       Active efforts have been made to catch “cheaters” despite the lack of game developer support

5)       A discord server captures all world and kingdom chats in their specific channels and allows discord input for those not online to be seen in game.  This is great for catching up on what you missed.

I love these concepts and greatly appreciate the work it must have taken to implement.

Now for the bad:

1)       The server admin rightfully should take pride in what he has built and wants to enjoy.  However, he takes almost any feedback as an attack and generally responds with an aggressive attitude.  

2)       While CMs (Community Managers) exist, when issues do arise the server admin fields most simply because he is on more than anyone else and it is a small server.  As a result, he probably feels he gets the same questions and feedback repeatedly.

3)       When issues are decided base on “Community” interests, this means server admin consulting the CMs, regardless of whether they actually consult with members of the kingdom they represent.   

4)       Server admin efforts to solve economic issues run contrary to role playing aspects and acquiring moon metals.   Server admin has run automatic messages encouraging players to change kingdoms to address balance issues, even though infestations are banished very rarely.  Cooperative groups sometimes form including hostile players banishing infestations makes no sense.   Economic issues remain unbalanced as some kingdoms traders are accessible to foreigners seasonally, while other kingdoms have locked gates.

5)       Finally, while the website indicates they follow Wurm Online rules including chat rules, when multiple members of the community indicated they took offense to certain language by a CM, the response was to implement an age restriction and declare the issue solved.  Multiple players left accounts they had played for an extended time because the CM and server admin never acknowledged adult players might find the language (that generated the complaint) offensive.

In summary, the server has a lot of potential.  And if you are willing to live with changing rules, and can keep your head down and mouth shut, it just might be a good fit.

15 hours ago, Altagar said:

My name on the Awakening server is Altagar.  I say that upfront to show my commitment to this review and that I played actively on the server for 5 months.

I wish I could write a glowing review for this server but I can’t. Don’t get me wrong, there is a lot that held my interest, but recurring issues with “Staff” and “Community Issues” overcame the positives.

First the good:

1)       Awakening has 10 different interesting gods with a backstory detailed on their website.  While becoming a priest is harder, there are more mixes of spells to choose from.

2)       Awakening is 1x development, but provides NPC markets that encourage skill development

3)       The RPvPvE structure is interesting in that it is largely PvE, but there are 4 kingdoms so many players will be hostile.  However, open warfare is not allowed.

4)       Active efforts have been made to catch “cheaters” despite the lack of game developer support

5)       A discord server captures all world and kingdom chats in their specific channels and allows discord input for those not online to be seen in game.  This is great for catching up on what you missed.

I love these concepts and greatly appreciate the work it must have taken to implement.

Now for the bad:

1)       The server admin rightfully should take pride in what he has built and wants to enjoy.  However, he takes almost any feedback as an attack and generally responds with an aggressive attitude.  

2)       While CMs (Community Managers) exist, when issues do arise the server admin fields most simply because he is on more than anyone else and it is a small server.  As a result, he probably feels he gets the same questions and feedback repeatedly.

3)       When issues are decided base on “Community” interests, this means server admin consulting the CMs, regardless of whether they actually consult with members of the kingdom they represent.   

4)       Server admin efforts to solve economic issues run contrary to role playing aspects and acquiring moon metals.   Server admin has run automatic messages encouraging players to change kingdoms to address balance issues, even though infestations are banished very rarely.  Cooperative groups sometimes form including hostile players banishing infestations makes no sense.   Economic issues remain unbalanced as some kingdoms traders are accessible to foreigners seasonally, while other kingdoms have locked gates.

5)       Finally, while the website indicates they follow Wurm Online rules including chat rules, when multiple members of the community indicated they took offense to certain language by a CM, the response was to implement an age restriction and declare the issue solved.  Multiple players left accounts they had played for an extended time because the CM and server admin never acknowledged adult players might find the language (that generated the complaint) offensive.

In summary, the server has a lot of potential.  And if you are willing to live with changing rules, and can keep your head down and mouth shut, it just might be a good fit.

Yeah the guy who runs this server is a tool. good at modding but always needs the last word. Something akin to a troll. I am adding this reply cause I left with a big group he ran off and left it alone, but after you posted this review he banned me for just being a member of same deed/group. so arbitrary banning is added to his list of things he likes to do now.

17 hours ago, Altagar said:

I also played on this server for several months and was engaged in the chat conversation regarding the request to follow the WO chat rules which disallow harmful language. 

"Content

A ) You may not use sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive language.

- This includes workarounds, symbols, links, misspelling, and text within images."

The admin refused to disallow language several people felt broke these rules, so I chose to stop playing there. One of my fellow players noted that they had been banned, and I went to see if that was the case. I had also been banned, ostensibly for "challenging moderator actions in public." This is part of the chat rules.

I did not challenge any moderator action in public prior to this moment. Here is a list of moderator actions:

Moderation Actions:

• Directive - Moderators may issue directives as deemed necessary to enforce these rules.
  • Warning - Moderators may warn any user for breaches of the chat rules.
  • Muting - Moderators may mute any user for breaches of the chat rules.
  • Temporary Ban - Moderators may issue temporary bans for breaches of the chat rules.
  • Permanent Ban - Moderators may permanently ban any user who offends on a regular basis, or whose offense is severe. All permanent bans are subject to review.

None of these include asking a moderator to stop the use of language seen as harmful in the world chat.

Perhaps posting regarding this ban qualifies but I have no other venue to challenge the permanent ban (specifically included in the rules). I think it is important that other players are aware that the server admin chose to ban a player for disagreeing with him over particular language seen as harmful.

Simply put, this is abuse of power in the admin position and mis-using a section of the WO rules while allowing and supporting breaking the WO rules in a different case, specifically the no harmful chat rules.

I had been an enthusiastic supporter of this server based on the innovative mods and particularly the economic system. However, the admin choosing to ban by account over a disagreement over what language is acceptable in world chat I find astonishing, frankly, since it had been resolved by the players who disagreed deciding to leave the server. Perhaps the admin wanted to make sure we wouldn't come back, but instead this over-reach has caused me to comment on the server review and encourage people to play elsewhere. This kind of power trip by an admin is inappropriate.

Only these three were banned because of really bad behavior in the chat: Altagar, Aaddil, Aristance

The bad joke by one of the moderators and me, was about vikings a 1000 years ago going on raids which was called "xxx:ing and pillaging", which is in no way referring to "sexually explicit, harmful, threatening, abusive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive language". The vikings "xxx:ing and pillaging" have been referred to jokingly in public media before, which a simple youtube search will prove. This type of language, as a server host, is totally acceptable on our server, and you have no right at all to make demands how moderators interpret server rules, that is not your job.

When server moderators asked you to not take the argument further, and quiet down, you went on in public channels to among other things compare moderators to nazis, and insinuating that we accept nazis on our server. We do not take such accusations lightly.

Players who abuse this very generous and open server in such ways, who become openly hostile towards the server and the staff, are not welcome. I don't ban players lightly, the only ones banned before you were one macro cheater and one posting nazi slogans in the public channels, both instances were a direct permanent ban.

There is a difference between abuse and use. Use of admin power would obviously seem to be abuse by the one being treated. You've been fairly treated, with a very large amount of patience.

I do not recommend these players to join any server, other server hosts be warned.

Awakening is good RP server, dont trust haters

• Like 1

So some disgruntled players post some horrible "reviews" because they got banned from the server for cheating - they seemed to have forgot to mention that they were caught cheating.  Kind of hard to take what they say as serious...

I'm a very casual player, and I find this server to be great; friendly player-base, helpful staff, and a server administrator who makes an enormous effort to give us a balanced server for the entire player-base - new players and old players alike.

- Bakkus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bakkus said:

So some disgruntled players post some horrible "reviews" because they got banned from the server for cheating - they seemed to have forgot to mention that they were caught cheating.  Kind of hard to take what they say as serious...

I'm a very casual player, and I find this server to be great; friendly player-base, helpful staff, and a server administrator who makes an enormous effort to give us a balanced server for the entire player-base - new players and old players alike.

- Bakkus

Did you even read kens post. No one was cheating that was gnomes group. Funny thou i did not even get in on the ###### discussion or anything to do with nazis. but left when he ran all the other players off I did not look back. I only commented on a deedmates review when i got a ban for just being with them. Retrospect he also is citing the reason for the argument wrong looking at logs. the vikings came  after the fact. Joke was about a r a p e tool and saying you got to have a good r a p e tool.

But i never talked about that either. It all stemed from a joke about a misspelled rope tool but the server owner got hostile when someone altagar .mentioned r a p e jokes were not ok.

Either way i recommend avoiding this server because of drama like this. Its a 1x so you will put in alot of time likely before you notice. Its not the first drama with this person its just the final straw i think for both parties. He does not play as a gm just modding and enforcing rules he likes to argue with players constantly and get the last words. Good luck to all those that enjoy the server in despite.

Edited by Aaddil

Discord stores all history, you were online at the time and did not deny in any way what Aristance was saying, nor what Altagar was saying, but in fact confirming it. All three of you have posted here, confirming each other's statements. But do you then argue that you disagree with Aristance and Altagar, and you are not part of their group, you just personally think I'm a "troll", and so it's my bad for not welcoming you back with open arms?

The only drama here is you flailing your arms about shouting and screaming, instead of just quietly leaving, since you're not welcome anymore.

I did leave only even figured out I was banned when Altagar was and went to go sell all my stuff to market lol. Only even still replying cause on steam you made up some thing about raiding a pvp deed? when all we ever done in pvp was curse stones or sell some stuff in thekandre. but yeah I see it now I mentioned it being like one of our doctors making a comment to our nurses about the topic and being ignorant how it would be received in western culture.

Edited by Aaddil

Nothing has been changed to your deed, you still have 1364 days left of upkeep. Should you somehow convince me to break your ban, but that would of course be reduced to something like "keep your head down and mouth shut", then nothing would have been changed except a few days of lost prayers. I'd say, in 1334 days your deed will start to decay, I love what you've done with it btw, it's a beautiful deed, really lovely. Well, that's almost four years!

Yeah I hear you thanks. I do like what you did with the server don't get me wrong doubt we will ever get along and I would not come begging but even altagar who was much more angry than I gave credit where its due. Hope the mods hit public one day in some form. They are very nice mods. There were over 8 separate players part of the deed maybe one day one of them will ask phoenix for the mantle and continue it.

Edited by Aaddil

Lol, you've never had to get along with me, ever. If you hate me, that's up to you. My responsibility as an admin is for the community as a whole, and not to be loved. As you said, I'm just a "tool", I do the modding. I leave the community managing for CM staff to handle, and they are humans and they are really doing their best. Players are not allways easy to handle, because everyone comes with their own personal bag of issues in the back, and we never know who comes with what in their bags, and a few have explosives.

Rules has to be adjusted accordingly, as we learn what works and what doesn't, same with modding. It's not evil schemes to change rules, it's the opposite, rules are changed to counter evil schemes, or perhaps not evil, but schemes that cause damage to the server as a whole.

I've already published the Awakening Server Mod, if you want to start your own server and use it, that's up to you. It doesn't contain all modding in Awakening, just about 20%, because most of it is heavily bound to lore and the special game mechanics this server is using, for example the adept model is hard coded to the specific deities we are using and so on. But I try my best to share.

This argue about what happened and what did not happend is making me sad.

Awakening is a great server with great mods and a great community.

There will always be ppl that is trying to use the mods to its advantages and not use them as they were supposed to work.  Kenabil (Tenniel) is trying to adjust and bugfix as much as he can to store the balance between kingdoms.

We (in staff) agreed to try to get ppl to join Tirvalon kingdom cause Cellimdar kingdom was becoming too populated and the economy got too strained. Then other kindom were trying to empty Tirvalon coffers through the vendors and we tried to minimize that so it could only be done half the wurm year (not disallowed completely) and your group did not like that. All we wanted was that Tirvalon ppl could use our own vendors atleast half the year. That was a request from the Tirvalon citizens.

Kenabil is a great guy. He is friendly, greets and help newcomers when he is avalible , he try to answer questions and solve problems as fast as he can.

Keep up the good work Kenabil!

• Like 1

Ive been on this server longer than most, year and a half roughly.     work schedule has been nuts so ive been a little limited on time lately and have missed most of the things mentioned.  or dont know enough about them to have an educated opinion.    That being said, I am a CM here.  and try to get along with everyone.   one issue in any text chat game, is you can read tone in text.    a simple "yep"    can mean different things pending on intent, tone, emphasis, sarcasm etc...   none of which comes through in text. 

then add the language barrier..Tenniel is from Sweden, another CM also Sweden, another CM from Italy, one from Finland, one speaks Russian and my plain old American self.  One of which i talk to for hours a day.  come to find out..Shes google translating half the conversation and a lot of words dont translate well.        Im not saying this is the cause/reason for any of this.   but it certainly doesnt help.       

That being said, Ive enjoyed this server more than any in my several years of Wurming.   I understand that im playing in Tennials world.  and what he says goes.   i would never think that every decision needs to be put to  a vote or even have any community feed back/input at all.   its his sandbox and we should be grateful he lets play in it.       I understand there was an issue the last few days about the "joke"  and a couple months ago some static with your kingdoms CM and the whole 300,000 garlic thing.        but other than that....hasnt been any drama here in the last 1.5 years that ive been here.   none.              Im also not some guy that lives in the mountains and has no contact with others the whole time im playing.    I'm CM of Tirvalon kingdom, and have about 11 deeds in our alliance.  Few RL friends also play on server.    and ive never heard a single complaint about the server or the GM/staff.    in fact everyone gets along really, really well.           

The server population at one point, did Quadruple over night.  maybe that has some underlying part of it.   Unsure.

Awakening is my home away from home.   and i personally love it.  

Cheers,

Godfrey

• Like 1