Sign in to follow this  
Seriphina

Productivity Bonus and Settlement Tokens

I think we can all agree that archaeology is pretty awesome. The entire concept opened a whole world of depth and lore to our servers. I want to take it one step further through the use of those pesky settlement token trophy things. They're cool to display, but they can be overwhelming pretty quickly.

lQ9mKy7.jpg

A quick background:

Settlements acquire a productivity bonus of 0.01% every month they exist and have at least 30 days of upkeep in the coffers. For the oldest deeds, this translates into decent bonuses after years and years of knowledge passed down through the villagers. For the disbanded deeds, length of time a deed was around and how long ago it disbanded impacts the quality of artifacts and the contents of a cache (at least to my understanding).

My proposal:

Instead of all of those little tokens, I propose we are able to gather together x number of unique tokens and essentially sacrifice them in the name of "research". This would do two things, one it would create a special book which can be displayed on our deed that lists the x number of deeds that were researched as pages. Second, it would bestow a 0.01% production bonus to the deed where the research took place, extending the knowledge of the deed as though it had been around for 30 days longer to represent learning from the villages of the past.

To accomplish this, a person would need to have the tokens in their inventory, as well as a blank research journal with empty pages, a new crafted item. As each settlement token is "researched" (Activate journal, right click token, select research), a task with a timer similar to meditation or prayer, the token is used (destroyed) and a page is completed in the research journal. Once all of the pages of the research journal have been filled in such a manner, it can be read (must be on deed, and a villager belonging to that deed) to complete the requirements for the deed bonus. After this the journal is complete and can be displayed.

Creation of a research journal requires archaeology skill of 50 and leatherworking of 50. Pages must be a minimum of 30 quality, similar to an archaeology journal. Both the incomplete and completed research journal will be able to be improved with the leatherworking skill. They will decay normally since the object is essentially just decoration after the research is complete.

Bonuses:

In addition to the deed bonuses, the title of "Researcher" will be bestowed after completion of a research journal.

5O4YBDY.jpg

Edited by Seriphina
clarification
  • Like 7

I find they make excellent golf tees.  The idea is to use the golf club (shaft) to hit the golf ball (pendulum ball) on to the next old deed, whilst avoiding the 'rough' between them.

If the ball falls down a mine you get a hole in one.  Once you have done 18 holes, you get a trophy, drink and refreshments back at the "19th Hole" pub.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Seriphina said:

Settlements acquire a productivity bonus of 0.01% every month they exist and have at least 30 days of upkeep in the coffers. For the oldest deeds, this translates into decent bonuses after years and years of knowledge passed down through the villagers.

As you have stated here this Productivity Bonus percentage is acquired by deeds during the extent of their existence under these circumstances. What this represents is a *reward* for their longevity over years of time and yet what you want Archeologists to be able to do is this>>

8 hours ago, Seriphina said:

Instead of all of those little tokens, I propose we are able to gather together x number of unique tokens and essentially sacrifice them in the name of "research". This would do two things, one it would create a special book which can be displayed on our deed that lists the x number of deeds that were researched as pages. >>>>Second, it would bestow a 0.01% production bonus to the deed where the research took place, extending the knowledge of the deed as though it had been around for 30 days longer to represent learning from the villages of the past.<<<<

So in your suggestion here it has nothing to do with the original concept and in effect enables Archeologists to bestow this Productivity Bonus to the deed upon which they sacrifice these acquired mini-tokens through their use of the Archeology skill. With this in mind I am absolutely against your suggestion as it both diminishes the concept of rewarding deeds over time for their existence and gives Archeologists the power to be able to potentially "reward" any deed that they wish with this Productivity Bonus on a fast track basis, which is contrary to the whole concept of it as presented in the first quote above which you are well aware of.

Basically what I am stating here is the the Productivity Bonus for deeds should remain true to its original concept and the Archeology skill should have no influence upon it.

=Ayes=

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ayes said:

As you have stated here this Productivity Bonus percentage is acquired by deeds during the extent of their existence under these circumstances. What this represents is a *reward* for their longevity over years of time and yet what you want Archeologists to be able to do is this>>

So in your suggestion here it has nothing to do with the original concept and in effect enables Archeologists to bestow this Productivity Bonus to the deed upon which they sacrifice these acquired mini-tokens through their use of the Archeology skill. With this in mind I am absolutely against your suggestion as it both diminishes the concept of rewarding deeds over time for their existence and gives Archeologists the power to be able to potentially "reward" any deed that they wish with this Productivity Bonus on a fast track basis, which is contrary to the whole concept of it as presented in the first quote above which you are well aware of.

Basically what I am stating here is the the Productivity Bonus for deeds should remain true to its original concept and the Archeology skill should have no influence upon it.

=Ayes=

The mechanic as it stands creates a power vacuum. New players are not able to benefit from a bonus even close to what people who started the game ages ago enjoy. Every other skill or benefit you can grind. So there is an insurmountable benefit just because someone started the game sooner?

Furthermore how does it have nothing to do with the original concept? The tokens come from investigating an area and learning enough about the settlement that existed. In the process, the token is consumed. It takes a number of these to complete a journal which then equates to a single month worth of productivity bonus. It would take a heck of a grind to acquire enough to come close to the *reward* bestowed on the longest running deeds on the oldest servers, and those deeds are not excluded from increasing the productivity bonus either.

As the mechanic stands, it would take 41.6 years to reach a 5% bonus (0.01% per month, multiplied by 500 months). This creates an opportunity for people achieve and enjoy this bonus without yet another hurry up and wait mechanic existing in game just because that's the way things have always been.  To attract new players and keep them, they need to feel like climbing the mountain of catching up with the older players is something that can be done eventually, not some impossible thing where the rich get richer aka the people who have the experience will be the only ones to get it.  Even if you play from launch, there's no way to have 5% now, and I think we can both agree that in it's current state, this game doesn't have 10 years left, let alone another 30.

Thank you for your input.

Edited by Seriphina

1 hour ago, Seriphina said:

New players are not able to benefit from a bonus even close to what people who started the game ages ago enjoy. Every other skill or benefit you can grind. So there is an insurmountable benefit just because someone started the game sooner?

Yes! but it is a bonus/reward for the deed's existence time period. Stays with the deed, not tied to players other than if the original deed owner has always kept upkeep paid they get this benefit from doing so.

2 hours ago, Seriphina said:

As the mechanic stands, it would take 41.6 years to reach a 5% bonus (0.01% per month, multiplied by 500 months).

Ok, I was taking your statement as accurate of a 0.01% Productivity Bonus per month for existing deeds but actually it is 0.1% per month. I am also thinking that there is a cap of 4% on it since that is all my deed has which should be more than that if it were to continue to rise indefinitely.

Another thing to note is that:

The effect of this bonus is either;

• an xp increase applied to skills learned by citizens.
  • a speed increase in crafting by all citizens of the settlement.

You will note that this applies to ALL citizens of the deed; thus, your claim that this Productivity Bonus is exclusive to the longest term players is not accurate either because even if the original or succeeding deed owners are the beneficiaries of it so too are any citizens of their deeds. As you realize benefits of the game are earned over time, as well as some fewer tied to the years playing the game. This Productivity Bonus is a *reward* tied to time, deeds and paid upkeep and is a well deserved recompense for the same which should remain as is and not given over to Archeologists to shortcut to the top with their skill.

2 hours ago, Seriphina said:

Thank you for your input.

You are welcome for my input and I thank you as well for encouraging me to take a closer look at this benefit of which details I have not paid much attention to. A pretty nice little perk really.

=Ayes=

Maybe add a cap to it. Like the bonus cant exceed double of what it would be normally.

So a one year fred would have 1.2% a bonus and with more tokens (I havent done archeology so I don't know a reasonable number of unique settlement tokens) it could reach 2.4%.

Keep any hard cap on total productivity the same.