Sign in to follow this  
Delacroix

Please increase toolbelt slot cap

There seems to be little, if any, reason for a maximum of 10 slots on a toolbelt existing.

Please raise the toolbelt cap to the (theoretical) maximum of 13 (10 from 100ql + 3 from rarity).

Thanks!

Edited by Delacroix

I'm fine with 10...

Could use extra loadouts presets to be saved tho....

~+1

I've not used more then 8 slots in 7 years.. Maybe I'm just doing something wrong?

I dunno, seems fine as is.

I am using far less than 10 but it makes sense for rare, supreme, fantastic to make a difference

+1 

Maybe it gets cumbersome for our characters at 10 slots like nothing else physically or wogically fits on it. I like maiev's idea though, +1 for max slot increase with rarity.

What single function can you perform using 13 tools?  None.  You should use multiple toolbelt rows, group them by things like Carpentry, Smithing, Terraforming, Cooking, etc.

16 hours ago, Wargasm said:

What single function can you perform using 13 tools?  None.  You should use multiple toolbelt rows, group them by things like Carpentry, Smithing, Terraforming, Cooking, etc.

Because "hurrrr I don't need it" is totally a great reason to lift a cap that has no reason to exist. By your logic, why even have a cap of 10 over 5 or 6? You obviously don't need it so ###### it, lower it. To Hell with anybody who wants it, right?

It's big enough as it is, I have about 45 tools saved on it.

Just use the cycle through it with those little arrows.

8 hours ago, Timoca said:

It's big enough as it is, I have about 45 tools saved on it.

Just use the cycle through it with those little arrows.

5 slots would be "big enough" too. Let's just decrease the cap, since that's the logic we're going by.

21 minutes ago, Delacroix said:

5 slots would be "big enough" too. Let's just decrease the cap, since that's the logic we're going by.

But you can have up to 100 slots already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Timoca said:

But you can have up to 100 slots already.

Yes, to need more than 10 slots per belt, you must have either at least 101 inventory tools that you need to use regularly, or some task that just can't be serviced by just 1 of 10 unique sets of 10 tools available.  

If you could give some example of how the current setup is a practical limitation, it would help a lot to understand why it would be needed.

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind it. For a given tool belt, I have 5 imping items, halter rope, lantern, flint and steel, shovel, and butchering knife.  Being able to squeeze in a grooming brush and pickaxe would be nice.

I have those extras on a separate belt, but having it all on one would be more convenient. Maybe add a slot for every +2QL past 90? 10 slots at 92, 11 at 94, etc. Would give our leatherworkers something to do besides imping the odd drake set or studded set for alts/newbies.

56 minutes ago, Hailene said:

I wouldn't mind it. For a given tool belt, I have 5 imping items, halter rope, lantern, flint and steel, shovel, and butchering knife.  Being able to squeeze in a grooming brush and pickaxe would be nice.

I have those extras on a separate belt, but having it all on one would be more convenient. Maybe add a slot for every +2QL past 90? 10 slots at 92, 11 at 94, etc. Would give our leatherworkers something to do besides imping the odd drake set or studded set for alts/newbies.

If you are imping, why do you need the other 5 things on the belt?  I am not saying it wouldn't be more convenient but asking why it would be more convenient in a meaningful way.  With 10 belts, and very simple switching between them this is not really limiting you in the current set up.

I am trying to think of major task groups:  digging/mining/terraforming,  farming, foraging/botany, archaeology, husbandry, fletching/bowery, carpentry, smithing, pottery, masonry, construction, tanning, leatherwork, tailoring, butcherring, cooking, dyeing.  Well, there you go, I managed to think of 17.  Add in your "walking around" toolset for general travel/exploring stuff (for me that would be hatchet, shovel, sickle, butchering knife, steel&flint) and that's 18 loadouts, so maybe more belts would be in order.  However, none of those would actually need 10 slots worth of tools so there is plenty of scope for combining, even including imping tools with creation tools.  I say this as someone using a 3-slot tool belt without major drama.

I think 10 is partially arbitrary (although not totally), but what I don't see is a valid pressing need to increase it.  It is probably not worth hours of dev time to change this one thing that would save one keystroke or click.  It's diminishing returns in spades (well, shovels, since in Wurm you dig with a shovel).

Trick.... let me just make sure you understand how tool belts work now, before you rip someone else's head off.

unknown.png

That is my priest's toolbelt.  Notice the numbers on the left side?  1, 2, 3?  Those are different toolbelts.  I cycle between them depending on my task, by clicking on the up and down arrows above and below the numbers.  Their uses in groups are obvious.... general, farming and cooking.  I can easily modify each toolbelt by saving it to a different slot by right clicking on the toolbelt.  I even have a 4, 5 and 6 toolbelt for when I'm playing on epic, and the game saves your bindings for those belts even if you are on the freedom cluster.

Now, what me and the other posters responding are trying to tell you is... you have 100 slot bindings if you are using a 90+ QL toolbelt.  Sure, you can't see all 99 tools on the screen at the same time, but why would you want to?  I don't want a toolbelt taking up a huge space on my screen, which is why I choose to use a 5 slot toolbelt for my priest.  

We are -1 your suggestion because we do not want to see 13 slots on our screen.  We don't need that many, you don't need that many, and.... yeah.... those are our opinions.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheTrickster said:

If you are imping, why do you need the other 5 things on the belt?  I am not saying it wouldn't be more convenient but asking why it would be more convenient in a meaningful way.  With 10 belts, and very simple switching between them this is not really limiting you in the current set up.

Because if I'm imping at the forge and then I want to hop on my horse to head over to my friend's deed I don't want to have to switch my tool belt. I'd much rather just click once and be done with it.

1 hour ago, Wargasm said:

We are -1 your suggestion because we do not want to see 13 slots on our screen. 

You can stick with your 10 slot belts (some people prefer even fewer slots) and those of us who want 13 slots will be happy with our 13 slots.

Wouldn't that make everyone happy?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hailene said:

Because if I'm imping at the forge and then I want to hop on my horse to head over to my friend's deed I don't want to have to switch my tool belt. I'd much rather just click once and be done with it.

Wha?  So you have to; activate something (min. 1 click or key combo), lead your horse ( 1more), mount your horse (1 more),  and it's the possibility of one click/press to change toolbelt ((and you can't use of either of the tools in your example until you dismount again) that is inconvenient, because you just have to have one-click access to your pickaxe when you visit your friend.

4 hours ago, Hailene said:

You can stick with your 10 slot belts (some people prefer even fewer slots) and those of us who want 13 slots will be happy with our 13 slots.

Wouldn't that make everyone happy?

I have been firmly on the fence, as in it makes no difference to me personally.  I started simply trying to understand the reason for the OP, but you are beginning to swing me to "nay".  In the best arguments being put forward in favour, the QoL improvement in functionality is so incredibly minor; it might save you 1 or 2 clicks an hour most days.  I would hate to see a more substantial improvement left undone because of dev time put into this.  If this gets implemented to satisfy a minor quibble, while some other improvement that actually makes a noticeable difference to playability is missed, no that wouldn't make me happy.

+1

I use all 10 rows of my belt, one row for each of the things I do, but I can always use more slots, especially by 0 row, which I use for every day use. I would love to have more slots.

6 hours ago, Wargasm said:

We are -1 your suggestion because we do not want to see 13 slots on our screen.  We don't need that many, you don't need that many, and.... yeah.... those are our opinions.

That's fine. If you don't need them, then use a lower ql belt that isn't rare, and you don't have to worry about seeing 3 more slots on your belt. There are those of us who would like this option, and it wouldn't affect you at all. It's important to listen to other people, and consider their needs, and understand that it won't affect you at all.

• Like 1

considering a 90ql supreme would only have 11 slots, fantastics are near impossible to get, and you can't physically obtain a toolbelt at 100ql (in this lifetime) no matter how much the game rounds the number up clientside, would require a change to how it works to actually use this properly, though i'm not against that

let us wear 2 toolbelts at once for double the belts on screen lol

Edited by Oblivionnreaver
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wargasm said:

Trick.... let me just make sure you understand how tool belts work now, before you rip someone else's head off.

unknown.png

That is my priest's toolbelt.  Notice the numbers on the left side?  1, 2, 3?  Those are different toolbelts.  I cycle between them depending on my task, by clicking on the up and down arrows above and below the numbers.  Their uses in groups are obvious.... general, farming and cooking.  I can easily modify each toolbelt by saving it to a different slot by right clicking on the toolbelt.  I even have a 4, 5 and 6 toolbelt for when I'm playing on epic, and the game saves your bindings for those belts even if you are on the freedom cluster.

Now, what me and the other posters responding are trying to tell you is... you have 100 slot bindings if you are using a 90+ QL toolbelt.  Sure, you can't see all 99 tools on the screen at the same time, but why would you want to?  I don't want a toolbelt taking up a huge space on my screen, which is why I choose to use a 5 slot toolbelt for my priest.  

Okay, this condescension needs to stop, especially when you're apparently completely ignorant of what is being requested. Let me try to break this down into terms you are capable of understanding--I'll even number the points to make it easier for you to follow along:

1. Toolbelts increase in slots with rarity and with every 10 quality.

2. This increase stops at 10, despite that not at all making sense beyond "HURRR EVEN NUMBER" and is pretty much the definition of an arbitrary decision.

3. 90 quality and supreme isn't an especially unlikely occurrence. 100 quality is also a further potential slot.

4. Making this behavior work consistently is one small stop towards improving the quality and consistency of the game overall. It would even take just a few minutes to implement!

5. "HURRR JUST CHANGE TABS LOL" doesn't address what is being asked for. We're well aware of how it works and shut the ###### up about it already.

P.S. it's almost like if you don't want to have more than 10 slots on your screen, you can tweak the quality of your toolbelt. Amazing, right? Who would've ever thought that it could've been so simple!

Edited by Delacroix