Sign in to follow this  
Finnn

LOTIME and Wogic

So.. I just learned that.. there is a fun little feature adding lag to people disallowing you to logout normally.. just because you're not on your own deed?

I have a house on another deed where I pretty much have any permission but.. obviously.. it's too much to ask for a normal logout time? (LOL?)

Spoiler

<Finn> any idea what causes the /lotime?
<Sappiro> (Del) engage in a fight
<Jahpeople> (Ind) Lotime is the time it takes from logging out until you leave the world, on PvE it can be changed if you've been fighting
<Finn> recently 'lag' dropped to 40ms latency which is amazing, back to what it was quite long ago, havent seen it that good in a year
<Amath> (Del) for one, if you fight it will become much higher than usual. If you're on your own deed is usually instant but elswhere 1-2 minutes
<Finn> but.... I still havent seen lo time to be.. NOT the 60sec time, it's cemented with that message now always
<Jahpeople> (Ind) 60 seconds is standard if you're offdeed, should be instant ondeed
<Jahpeople> (Ind) [16:01:11] You would leave the world in 0 seconds if you disconnected now.
<Evening> (Pri) Is instant only when you're on the deed you're part of
<Jahpeople> (Ind) Ah, yes that's more accurate
<Finn> I'm ondeed, in a house atm
<Amath> (Del) What exactly is the message you get?
<Finn> [18:03:08] You would leave the world in 60 seconds if you disconnected now.
<Evening> (Pri) Your deed, not on *a* deed?
<Finn> cant say I've seen other in past year+
<Finn> not my seed, ondeed tho
<Amath> (Del) Are you citizen of that deed?
<Finn> deed*
<Amath> (Del) Then it's normal.
<Evening> (Pri) Then is minimum 60 seconds
<Finn> odd idea to work like that... as it's how I've been for years
<Finn> but ok, thanks
<Jahpeople> (Ind) It's been the same for over 8 years now, instant logoff on your deed, 60 seconds or over offdeed
<Jahpeople> (Ind) The only other differences to lotime are purely PvP differences, otherwise it's been exactly the same in Wurm for years now

I get this could be a fun little feature for pvp... but what is the value for this on PvE? And how is pestering players a good thing?

Further more.. when they pay for premium and land... to get this? // semantics ok... but still both are *paid* and this is a thing on PvE, WHY?

Your thought Aye / Nay to have this, and why?

the normal logout time is 60 seconds, you're asking for something you already have.

it has literally 0 effect on the game so i couldn't care either way. How exactly does this impact your gameplay?

• Like 1

Lotime has been a feature of Wurm since before I started playing some 8 years ago, a 60 second gap between logging out and your character leaving the world actually serves a number of purposes, it makes sure that your character is correctly updated and saved in the database for one,, a rollback due to not having your character synchronised would be far more inconvenient, I think you'll agree. Another reason is to prevent 'forced disconnect' to avoid death, whether that be PvP or PvE, since lotime is the mechanism that prevents you logging out during a fight in order to make sure you don't die.

Just because we don't always have a full understanding of the mechanisms behind the scenes, does not mean those mechanisms need disposed of.

• Like 3

@obi It forces the 60sec even tho every other requirement is met, it's just not my deed, but this is how I play, there's literally 0 difference if I'm a villager of the deed or not and have all normal permissions, this is the difference, that'w how it impacts me.

@zenity cool, I've been a villager with a house where I was villager, never noticed this and had a 0 timer - that is different right?

This is.. it's obviously a thing to have 0 lotime when you own the deed or you're a villager there, but not otherwise? Weird, if there's no practical need to have this on pve - and there's the reason to suggest to remove this to not confuse people with the 60sec.

Read OP's spoiler chat log.. apparently this is 0 for deeds where you own the place or you're a villager at.. so everybody who owns a deed logouts unsafely? for 8 years? ?

Nah.. don't think that's the case.. but this is confusing to have if it doesn't matter.. and if it forces players with permissions to stay around for a minute longer on a deed where they have permissions still odd to be a thing on PvE, this adds nothing good to my play, if all players with or without permission logout within 1 minute.. why is there the forced text?

Only further confuses people.... I read it as server lag, which as OP/chat log .. states.. I was curious to figure this time's reason.. as lag doesn't seem to be an issue at all(40ms latency)..

You are missing the most obvious answer, in that it is simply a mechanic that easily predates PvE being introduced to Wurm, and it hasn't been changed since. It's not a purposeful thing for PvE, it's just old code is all.

That said, a minute logout or instant logout as stated doesn't have any effect on you personally, because your client will log out instantly, your character will remain in the world a minute more or not.

Literally has zero impact on your gameplay.

True, but why does it show 0seconds to villagers and deed owner?

It makes no difference if it's removed than also?

Also this is not a bug report.. it's a suggestion you are for or against it.

Weird part is.. there is a difference - as it shows 0 seconds to villagers/deed owner, but people with perms on deed get the wild-land/offdeed debuff when logging out or want to check lotime it always returns the wild land debuff time.

It's confusing.

If it's cosmetic and doesn't really change anything for anybody, why is it there?

Example of similar mechanic change which was implemented for villagers/owner/profiles with permisisons on the deed..  is instant pushing items ondeed.

This is just a suggestion to make things a bit more normal.. if it's decided that it's fun and useful to mislead people checking this.. sure let it be as it is.

I believe its because its a setting enabled for villagers of the village and not permission based (if it was permission based, it would need a checkbox for you to check, or else everyone in game would have it.) They would have to change the way the code works in order to make it permission based. Sure it would be convenient, but there are so much other priorities they would rather address... like the runaway boats upon crossing the server and the sailing sideways boat lag issues.

I don't think waiting 1 minute after you close the client for your character to log iff is a big deal.

It's such a minor issue that it isn't really worth fixing until they start overhauling that section of the code for something else.

-1 from me.

• Like 2

Yeah I see no need for devs to rewrite code on something that's really pointless 

Also If you disconnect and reconnect without leaving the world you stay mounted and leading animals

I don't see any reason why allied deeds shouldn't act like a personal deed with the 0 second timer. I also can't imagine it would really take much time or effort to change that in the code. Not to mention, if you're sleeping at a bed your client DOES stay running as you watch the log out timer. Definitely inconveniencing at that point.

What SHOULD in theory be an easy tweak as opposed to removing it, that said, would be lowering the on-deed timer (as in "A deed other than one's deed") to like 10 seconds.  Would speed up putting alts to bed to be honest.  If it makes tents faster, so be it.  If tents stay at 60 seconds, so be it... I can vouch for it being harder to sleep somewhere other than one's bed =P 

Mine can, most can, yes.. but end of the day not all rigs can handle multiboxing so alt switching is a thing.

+1 to allied deeds having instant log out

On April 7, 2019 at 11:58 PM, Kabill said:

if you're sleeping at a bed your client DOES stay running as you watch the log out timer

On April 8, 2019 at 7:05 PM, Mordraug said:

Would speed up putting alts to bed to be honest.

Once the sleep timer has begun you can close that client and still make it to bed successfully, since the /lotime of 60 seconds will be longer than the remaining 55 seconds until sleep. The "[player] goes to sleep in a bed" event log message will assure anyone still awake to see it.